RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What warbird for a Moki Radial?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What warbird for a Moki Radial?

I'm thinking I'd like to get a warbird and put a Moki radial on it. Those radials just sound soooooo good.

The Comp-Arf Corsair looks good, but I don't want to spend $10,000 to $12,000 by the time I have it ready to fly. I'd rather keep the price tag to about $8K or less (less would be better).

What other warbirds are available to us, that are good candidates for a Moki radial? The Moki would have to be a good fit in the cowl, and the plane would have to balance out good with all that weight up front. Keep in mind that I fly at 5,000 feet altitude, so the lighter the finished airframe is, the better.

I prefer composite planes, but I would consider one that's not composite. I also prefer ARF's, but would consider a build.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks, Jim

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What warbird for a Moki Radial?

Just about anyway you go for a plane big enough for the Moki you will spend at lest $7-8 K by the time your flying. The moki is the biggest part and then the monster retract from Sierra. If you buy a composite ARF like the COMP110"Corsair or Build a 1/4 scale Corsair like I'm doing but slightly bigger more like 1/3.75 the end price tag will be the same so suck it up and just open your wallet if you want that Moki flying and not on display. it's time to get out the credit card and just grin and bear it while you slowly sink.

Barry
Current builds
TFGS 86" F4U-7Corsair
Monster 124" Ziroli F4U-5NCorsair off blown up plans
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This one is easy. The Vally 113" Fw-190 and the Moki 250 are perfect together.

Dave

Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks wingspar,
What's it take to build a Vailly FW-190? I'm guessing it's a pretty long build.

What about the 90.5" Vailly FW-190, would a Moki 150 be good on it?

Jim
Old 06-12-2009, 05:24 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im just starting a Meister 100" Corsair. I have the 150 Moki and it fits with just an inch or so of clearance. Corsairs need that extra weight up ffront. What ever you choose it will be a head turner when it makes a low fly by or taxis out to take off. Nothing else sounds like a Moki.

GaryM
Quantico Corsair 411
Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have looked at the Meister Corsair, and their P-47. It's sounds like the Moki 150 would be a good combo on those planes.
I see a fiberglass fuse for the P-47, but it looks they don't have a fiberglass fuse for the Corsair?
Again, these look like a pretty intense build? I'm not ruling out a long build, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks,  Jim
Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 PM
JET FX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For me its a toss up between the Comp ARFCorsair and the Scale Wings La-7, at present Iam leaning toward the La-7

ScaleWings.com
Old 06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, that La-7 looks great. I didn't know about Scale Wings. I don't suppose they have a US distributor?

Thanks,  Jim
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whats the diameter of the Moki you have or are getting? I was thinking the Ziroli 93" WS with a fiberglass fuse Corsair. It has a package deal for $499.00 and it includes more than just the fiberglass fuse. Iwould have to look but I think the cowl and bellypan come with it along with the canopy and plans. Pretty good deal actually.

Barry
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I won't know which Moki to get until I decide on an airframe. Who sells the $499 deal you are talking about?

Thanks,  Jim
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I told you Nick Ziroli Plans Online. You can order everything you need right off his website under the Corsair site. Just type in ziroli and it will come up. It's a sweet plane from what Ive heard thats why I'm building the blown up version but my budget doesn't allow me to have a 14 cylinder from Sedel so I'm sticking with my NIB 3W 200 cc 20 hp twin with twin electronic ignistion. Better to be safe than sorry so if one ignition fails it still runs the same. I hope you navigate his site OK.

Barry
Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hammbone,

The diameter of the Moki 250 and 215 is 11.5". If you are interested in an ARF airframe, you might want to check out the Easy Tiger large F-8 F Bearcat. This plane has a wingspan of 95", but more importantly, it has a cowl measuring 340mm (roughly 13.5") from top to bottom with a width of 319mm (12.5") and a length of about 8". I believe the Moki 250 will just fit. Iordered the Bearcat 2 weeks ago (since my Corsair will take another year to complete) and hope soon to hear that it has been shipped. As soon as it arrives, I'll post whether or not the airframe will work with the large radial. Easy Tiger Models also has a FW 190 ARF. It has a wingspan similar to the Bearcat (96"), but the cowl on this particular plane is a bit smaller than the Bearcat and would possibly be a tight fit for a Moki 250.However, the measurement given on the FW 190 cowl seems to indicate that it, the engine, would fit. The cost of the ARF Bearcat is $895 and the FW 190 is currently priced at $899.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:06 AM
77chickenhawk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I heard that the Ziroli Hellcat will just fit a moki 150. Its 1/5 scale so not to big, and a real nice looking plane. I have a friend that has one (about finished) and its a beauty.. No moki in his tho...

the Sedel has that 70cc 7 cylinder to you mite wanna think about to it has a 9 1/8 diameter will fit alot of planes and its like 1300 and change?

I wanted to get another cmp zero( its a arf) 1/5 scale. and its 299. the sedel will fit in that.. I would beef up the fuse in the fire wall area, bash the wing, (relocate the mains and fix the flapps so they are split) You can have one built, minus motor for a reasonable 1200 bucks + 1300 for thesedel. Even a poor boy like me can do it. I had oneof these planes befor with a brisson 3.2 and i had to still put 2 1/2 pounds ontop of the engine to C/GSo... its doable the cowl is like 9 3/4 so its'll fit oh yeah and swing a scale sized prop with no probs...lol
Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to find out about some planes that I didn't know about, and I am.

David, Please do post whether or not that airframe will work with the large radial when you get it. Wouldn't the Moki 150 be better suited for 95" to 100" planes though? It seems like the 215 or 250 would be overkill and even harder on that ARF airframe.
I'm wondering if the Moki 150 would fit well in that Easy Tiger FW-190?

Any other suggestions? Are there any other 95" to100" or bigger ARF's?

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jim,
You might like thisgot a few on order for customers!!! the first 2 should be going out to the US End of July.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9dd...eature=channel

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82..._1/key_/tm.htm

Cheers Graham B
WWW.tigermodels.net

I have been having trouble with emails again so please use this, grahambuchanan@blueyonder.co.uk
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice looking Wildcat. I e-mailed you for a price.

Thanks,  Jim
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 PM
David Jackson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hammbone,

The Moki 150 would be better suited for the ET Bearcat. I actually purchased to 250 for the 1/4 scale Corsair that I have been building on and off since 2006. I decided to order the Bearcat just to get a warbird back in the air while waiting for the Corsair to be completed. If the 250 doesn't fit, I'll try one of the other engines that I have available, eitherthe DA 150 (overkill), First Place 116 twin cylinder, or the Brison 4.2 single cylinder.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info thus far.

I have purchased the Moki 150 radial now. I wanted to go ahead and get it while it is still on sale.

I haven't decided for sure on an airframe yet, but I'm leaning towards a Meister P-47 with the fiberglass fuse.

I want to make sure I consider all the options. So, now that I've decided on the Moki 150 radial, are there any other warbirds that haven't been mentioned yet, that would be a good airframe for the Moki 150?

Thanks,  Jim

Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Johnnie Red

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Hammbone

From the earlier replies I'd go for the F4F Wildcat of jetjockgb or the F6F Hellcat. This because they are both easyflying - easygoing planes. No tendencies or bad characteristics, and since you've spent already a fortune in buying the engine, you should consider that also.
The Wildcat is a classic "middle wing" configuration and is flying like a standard Extra 300....(Easy...)
The Hellcat is a little faster but with tapered wing and good (big) tail surfaces and a very goodresponsive rudder...flies great and is very predictable...

Choise is yours though. Good luck in any choice you make!

J.R.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
sarpet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HAWKER TEMPEST II
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
David Jackson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Johnnie Red

Hey Hammbone

From the earlier replies I'd go for the F4F Wildcat of jetjockgb or the F6F Hellcat. This because they are both easyflying - easygoing planes. No tendencies or bad characteristics, and since you've spent already a fortune in buying the engine, you should consider that also.
The Wildcat is a classic "middle wing" configuration and is flying like a standard Extra 300....(Easy...)
The Hellcat is a little faster but with tapered wing and good (big) tail surfaces and a very goodresponsive rudder...flies great and is very predictable...

Choise is yours though. Good luck in any choice you make!

J.R.
I might be wrong, but I believe the Wildcat that Graham (jetjockgb) is producing might be better suited for the Moki 250. As far as other ARF planes for the 150, I think the Easytiger FW190 will easily accommodate a 150. If I remember correctly, the diameter of the cowl was 320mm (12.5"). If the quality is good, not a bad choice. If you are interested in building, you might look at Ziroli's plans. I believe the Corsair, Hellcat, AT-6, and a few other planes (plans) offered would be large enough for the engine. I can't say that it will be cheaper than the ARF's available, but at least you'll have a model you know will endure the stresses of your type of flying.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

I recently got a Vailly Fw190 and put Moki 150 in it after doing some initial measuring before purchase...seems to fit just right and with the FW stubby nose the extra weight is needed anyhow...I framed it up in about 4 weeks...goes together pretty quick...of course the rest of the build and scaling it out will be the long haul

...yeah I heard the sound of the Moki radial on a fly by and changes the whole perspective of flying.....

good luck with your choice...of course it would be very cool if your got the P47 and you checked your six and saw a Moki 150 in a FW190 come up on ya at WOD!

M
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88732.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1228323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33121.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1228324  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Scott Prossen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Hammbone,
You might also consider a 1/4 scale Ruskie Yak 11. Can be purchased here : http://www.skygate-collection.com/cm...x.php?page=158
I had one and it was a fantastic fit for the 150 Moki. I really loved flying that engine in that plane. It was a real easy fit and at 44lbs the plane moved along with plenty to spare. A great package and much like the big Wildcat mentioned above, it's not a real common sight at the field. Mine got a lot of interest just because it was different. The plane was a very stable plane in flight and easy to fly at all speeds.

Good luck with your project. Let us know what you do.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93203.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1228375  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hammbone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys.
I still haven't made a decision on an airframe. I think I'd really like something that's all composite, but the Comp-Arf Corsair is just too much money.
I was looking at the Robart P-47. I thought I'd put a bigger cowl on it so the Moki 150 would fit, but now the Robart P-47's are out of stock.

My Moki 150 arrived last week though. What a beautiful engine!

Jim
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Scott Prossen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,

Look at the Yak 11 more closely. The plane is all composite. It goes together in no time and you're putting down primer in a week or two. Here's a video link of my Yak11 www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdXqEungvYY

Good luck once again.

Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service