Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

hi guys i have a problem i can't decide if i should go with electric or air retracts.and also i am getting a good deal on a saito 91 is it powerful enough for this plane or should i go with a saito 100.any suggestion would be great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: shrek514

hi guys i have a problem i can't decide if i should go with electric or air retracts.and also i am getting a good deal on a saito 91 is it powerful enough for this plane or should i go with a saito 100.any suggestion would be great
    Do what a lot of people are doing...........including me.............for this airplane and go with a DLE20 gasser. More powerful, cheaper to buy and cheaper to fly.
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: shrek514

I have just installed the E-Flite electric retracts in my TF P-47 and they were an easy fit. I read a review where an OS 65 ax was used in the P-47 and it powered the plane fine. I am using an OS 95V four stroke in mine and I expect it will provide all the power I need. The Saito 100 should be great in the plane.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think he was trying to point out that using a gasser with the same initial investiment will yeald better saving in the long run since glow fuel hover around the $20 per gallon (at list around here) and the .91 likes to drink it like a drunken sailor.
    I have a Surpass .91 in my Tucano and a Dle 20 in my small p-47 and I do prefer the gas engine by a long stretch.
    Aside from the economical factor, gas engine are more reliable and you don't have to worry about mounting the engine upside down like you do with glow and than worry about glow plugs going out at low rpm. And yes glow plugs are around $8 and you need to change them every once in a while along with a purchase of a remote glow igniter since it very difficult to find the glow plug when the engine is inverted into a cowl.
    As for the sound, with all my giant scale WWII gassers I love making low passes Wot and hearing the engine screaming loud. It is a real crowd pleaser just like when you go to a real air show and the p51 roars down deck with his Merling engines roaring by.
    Good luck either way you will enjoy the plane regardless of yor engine choice.

Fabio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also think he was just pointing out the economics of gas and the easy of its use. I have had all glow 4S in my planes and converted to gas for a few reasons, economics (I was burning 2 gals of glow a week), reliability, easy, and you don't have all that slimmy goo on your plane. Yes the 4S sound great and I had a Saito 150 in mine and it was a great sounding plane with low high speed passes. I have a DLE 20 in my 60 size chipmunk and it flies great. I was tempted to put a DLE 20 in my P 47 but desoded i wanted to try electric! The 91 will be fine for your plane, keep it light and you will have plenty of power, might not have unlimited vertical but the full did not have it either. Soon there will be more choises with 4S gas, Moki has a 55cc gas 4S I have my eye on

tB
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ary-build.html Angie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ary-build.html Chipmunk

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

landeck,

Could you tell me which e-flite retract you installed? A model number, perhaps?

Thanks in advance!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[8D] For me e-power and e-retract.... please, but what a heck ยกยกยก,.... ยฟ What could you expect for a electrician... ? other choices, serve yourself......
    One thing is sure, this nice airplane platform is so good that almost any kind of power works OK. Maybe it just depend of the prefference of the modeler.
    Manolo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67686.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1686124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi22202.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	1686125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz70047.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	1686126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jc86682.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	1686127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zl70041.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	1686128  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bruce L. AMA# 54227

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi im building a gold edition p 47 thunderbolt kit and have puchased the century jet retracts i also want to install a tail wheel retract but top flight and towerhobbies do not recomend this i see some of you guys have installed one can you please give me advice as what is best. bye the way all your planes look great hope mine comes out half as good this is a great forum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry didnt mean ti take up ur time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ado monty, welcome to RCU. Your question was fine and proper. Keep the questions coming and also read through this and other threads for a lot of good information and some not so good.

Bruce.
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks bruce yeah im reading thru it all this p47 thunderbolt kit is only my second build i bulit a trainer but that was not so complicated. up till now it is great fun i love the plane already and this is a great thread. any help is good help thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've followed this thread for a while, and I'd firstly like to thank all the contributors for their most excellent information and feedback. This has been a first-rate thread with invaluable information.

The only real frustration I've encountered to tarnish it is the rude response a poster often receives if they deign ask a question that might have been addressed at some point in the 26+ pages of posts. I've read through each and every page (more than once), and I can tell you that this is an evolving and growing thread, and there are more than a few cases where information contained in initial posts is later updated with new information (robart robo-struts vs skylite struts is a perfect example). The only way to know is to read this thread from first to last, and even then you might not always have the latest opinions of those who have gone before.

If you don't want to "waste your time" answering a question - don't. Taking the time to admonish a poster asking a perfectly legitimate question is unnecessary, counter to the very nature of community forums, and just generally bad form.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you don't have the time, or don't want to take the time, to answer a question that you feel has been adequately answered before then why not just simply ignore the question? Either somebody else who doesn't mind repeating themselves will answer the question or, if everyone feels the same way you do, then the question will go unanswered and the poster will be forced to search for the answer themselves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My friend, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder for some reason. As I indicated, this thread and all its contributors (most especially you) are very much appreciated, as is the valuable content you've posted.

This, however, does not grant the right to be discourteous to posters in this forum or thread. If you decide not to continue contributing to the community, that would truly be a shame. If you feel like you're being called upon to spend too much time answering questions, once again I would suggest you regulate your responses.

Explicitly taking the time to respond to a thread about how you're not going to respond to a thread is just silly (yes, this time you referenced an earlier post, but most similar responses I've seen in this thread are curt admonishments). I'm not looking to pick a fight, nor am I trying to offend you, but there has to be room for people to ask questions (even those you feel are unwarranted).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bye.
    Club Saito Member #670

I must say I see this thing all the time. Not only in the forums but at the flying field! These threads are a huge source of information and yes sometimes a question get asked a few times! So what if it does???? I too have scoured a thread looking for something that I read only to be not able to find it! I will always ask and 99% of the time get what I need along with some good advice! Remember there is no dumb question especially in a hobby like ours! Wether it's electric, gas or nitro it all flys! Encourage other and help one another!

I teach online ethics to middle school kids! Remember don't say something online you wouldn't say in person!

It's a hobby!

Sorry for any typos or grammars, I'm doing this on my phone!
    It\'\'s gotta be scale!
    Private Pilot - Aircraft Single Engine Land

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am guilty of asking befor looking, just human nature ( for me)
    I started to prep for the scale hinge line and tail section. I am moving the hinge line back increasing the stab by a little over an inch to line up with the ruder hinge line. I am in the planing stages on how I will do the torque rod for the elevator. It is a little tricky with the hinge lines matching up but I have an idea! The ruder will be on a pull pull and the tail wheel will be on a push rod as intended. I ended up cutting out the hinges on the flaps becouse they are defective and useless as shipped. I glued matierial to the hinge line of the aileron, elevator and the ruder to prepair them for rounding. I will be doing the carbon fiber pocket like I did on my CG chippy build. Still a few details to work out but I think I can get it! I will post pics as I go.

I like the e flight retracts and the struts landeck posted, look great!

TB
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We all have to agree that in a pinch, it is much easier to ask for a question to keep your build moving forward than try to flip trough pages to find the correct answer.
    This thread is really small compared to others that I usually follow for my other builds. The Top Flite P-47 Giant scale is around 350 pages and it is very difficult to fetch the right answer among those pages that dates several years in the making. In that thread is natural to ask question since it is very time consuming to find the answer among all those pages.
    However I tend to side with CorsairJock here.I usually take my time prior to any build to sit and read the entire tread and save on a desktop folder steps and suggestions that pertain to any critical step.
    This thread is only 25 pages long and it would take maybe an hour to go trough the whole thing and you'll find most of your questions answered.
    Maybe a little reading before posting would cure most of the problems. In any case I do not mind answering questions over and over since I for one I needed a quick question answered right away in the past in other forums and it has been answered without hesitation.

Keep the questions coming.....

Fabio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys - I really didn't mean to derail this thread. I am absolutely in agreement that it's always better to try to find the answer yourself. My objection was really around the unnecessarily discourteous replies.

Back to the reason we're all here - this killer P-47 ARF.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks guys for the info.is gas engine easy to tune and maintent or is glow easier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is all relative, some find glow easy to tune, some find it impossible, some find gas easy to tune, some find it impossible! For me gas is easy, high and low mix, not much more to do but fly.

Gas is cheaper both engine and fuel ( again relative!) glow is messy and expensive to maintain. Some do both, some only like one, choos your methode that suits you and that works for you!

TB
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast