Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/5 Scale BT-13 Vultee Vibrator Build from American Eagle

12 1/2 hours till judging, wow, am I getting tired! I have the leading edge fillet panels on and the forward and rear belly pans. The wingtips are on and drying. I still have to do the hubcaps and brake items, I will start them and get as much as possible done before I head to bed for a few hours. I will do the landing light covers in the morning. We are leaving here at 7AM for Lakeland. The morning will be spent polishing before judging. There is a lot of polishing to be done.
    Denny
    Live to Love and laugh, anything else is rubbish!
    A citizen of the universe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

6 hrs 45 min till judging time. I have the brake back plates and the hubcaps almost done. I am gonna not worry about the brake lines. I still have to do the landing light covers, the strips where outer wing panels attach to the center wing section and align the cowl better. I have given up on the dummy engine.. It will be flying at Top Gun even if its not done unless they wont let us fly it!
    Denny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally passed out at 4:30AM, I just couldnt stay awake any longer. 1 1/2 hrs sleep didnt do me much good but we headed out to Top Gun around 730. The judging took place at 10:45, what a relief to have it to this point. Tomorrow will be the flying. Today was a bit of a blurr but we did put the plane out on the line for a few pictures. Tomorrow will be a lot of fun, the flying begins!
    Denny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56732.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1601047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26706.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1601048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq45728.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	1601049  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unbelievable! Beautiful work! I ran into Skip I. yesterday, and he said there might have been a mishap with this bird? I hope not, it's gorgeous!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We flew the first flight and did reasonbable, got a bit slow on the touch and go and it bounced. Only a 86 or something as a score for the first flight. The second flight, the aircraft had made one pass around the field when sean detected a twitch ( control) issue, he thought it was just a wind gust at first but as he came by on the low pass, he had no control for a second or so and he called an IFE. There at the same time was a big A-10 that had a flameout and touched down just before Sean. The A-10 was on the right side of the runway as Sean kept the BT-13 going down the left side and off into the long grass. The grass put enough pressure on the left main that the #6 mounting screws pulled out of the wood base and the prop was cracked. I wanted the screws to be the weak link so the wing wouldnt be damage if the gear took a hit, I guess it was a just a bit too weak so I replaces them with #8 screws. I have the prop replaced, the mains are held in with bigger screws and I have run two separate batteries thru two switches to the two separate recievers. It seems we had a bad connection and lost power to the recievers. We did some testing and all seems good now. We will do more tests at the field tomorrow before we decide if we will fly it or not for the last two flights of the competition.
    Denny

Name:	Ay74398.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1601771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz76887.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1601772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11655.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1601773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67820.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	1601774  

Saw the pictures and glad the damage was light. Best wishes for Sunday.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We arrived at the field around 9AM. It was nice to sleep a bit later today. We got the plane together and test ran it and did an extensive control check verifying the plane was ready to fly. It was very windy today, but everyone handled it great. We got the first flight in, we were all very nervous as to how the aircraft would perform but it was flawless. Sean did a great job of flying and his strong point, his landing. He still strugled with the touch and go in the wind and it hurt his score. The second round, he nailed the touch and go and also the landing. He got his best scores of the day. As a matter of fact, that last flight, all but two scores were over 90, very good considering the lack of competition experience and the lack of experience flying this plane. The plane often brought a smile to my face after all the time building it, I think I can start to relax and enjoy watching it fly0. We had a few different magazines do photo shoots and interviews, they all said how photogenic the plane is. One guy from RC Universe told me it was the toughest plane for his camera, the glimmer made it confuse his camera or something. I also got a chance to get a picture of it with my friend carlos who inspired me to cover it in aluminum. The whole team, Sean, my son, the pilot and Brian Gafford, team coach, ground crew and lead polisher took over after the building and I was able to let them do what they do best and get the good flights completed. We didnt win any awards, but that wasnt our goal. We went to spend time with some of the best aircraft, pilots and builders in the world. We had a great time and thouroughly enjoyed the experience. Thanks to frank Tiano and his group for putting on such a fun event.
    Denny

Name:	Zx70965.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1602451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22845.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1602452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37565.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	1602453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80392.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	1602454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65922.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1602455  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62812.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1602456  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

more

Name:	Ki18506.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1602504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp42841.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1602505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65266.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1602506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44754.jpg 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	1602507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89612.jpg 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	1602508  

Name:	Up49209.jpg 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	1602509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd93364.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	1602510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je98621.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1602511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99236.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1602512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72584.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	1602513  

Name:	Gd93605.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1602514  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and a few more

Name:	Wu62317.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1602789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46285.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1602790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75070.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1602791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70762.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	1602792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62044.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1602793  

Name:	Lj22036.jpg 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1602794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96484.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1602795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg15717.jpg 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	1602796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30130.jpg 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1602797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96597.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	1602798  

Name:	Kf14753.jpg 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	1602799  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First of all-amazing work, a crowning achievement to have successful flights and a beautifu lbird that went down to the wire.

IMHO its a futre TG winnger-so whats left to get it there besides a dummy radial and cockpit work-i know a scale model is never done!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, There actually is quite a lot of work to be done to sorta complete it. Besides the dummy radial, I have to finish a few external aluminum panels, finish the wingtips, complete the front and rear cockpits, countersink some screws, finish installing the smoke system and complete the belly pan panels, they were just tacked on basically, partially with duct tape. At least it was aluminum duct tape! I will take a break from it for a bit before I get back to it. The last few months has been 8 to 14 hrs a day working on it. The wife has been putting together a list of things that didnt get done during that time. The only reason I had it done as far as I did was because I was laid off in December, that provided a lot of time in between job hunting and sleeping. Good thing I already had most of the materials on hand to get it flying before I was laid off.
    Denny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got out the Top Gun score sheets today. Accuracy of outline was 28.75 out of 30 possible. Finish color and markings was 29.25 out of a possible 30, craftsmanship was 26.265. Realism was 9.167 out of a possible 10. I also was awarded 2% for added rivets and panel lines. The total static score was 93.432. I have to say, agree with all the comments they had. as far as the flying portion, The first flight score was 82.5. The second flight is the one where we had to call an IFE. we only got 36.375 points. The only thing Sean was scored on that flight was fast flyby (8) realism (9) and his emergency landing was a 9. I was proud that under the immense pressure of an impending control issue, Sean brought the pane in for a beautiful landing at the same time that the giant A-10 had a flame out and was landing right next to him! Sean had very little time to practice with this plane and his scores improved each time he flew it, other than the IFE flight. The third flight he still was nervous from the issue the day before, he scored an 86.375, as usual his landing was awesome (9.25), his strong point. The fourth flight he finally started feeling more comfortable and I could tell he was beginning to relax and enjoy the experience. He got a 10 for his touch and go from one judge, the judge even wrote "very nice" on his sheet. The other judge gave him a 9.75. I felt this was myn proudest moment. So many people said not to do a touch and go, they considered that just throwing away points, the judges usually gave very low scores for that maneuver, but Sean did awesome. The final score for that flight was 92.75. Overall considering what we had been thru just prior to and during the event, I am more than satisfied with the plane, and Seans flying. I am incredibly proud of him. When he flew this plane, I could see the weight of the responsibility in his eyes. He valued the work, the effort and money involved and buil;ding it. I came away from the event with even more respect for my son. I am no doubt a very proud father. Next year, we should do a whole lot better!
    Denny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey RAM, did you make it to Top Gun? I was hoping to meet you in person.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for sharing this with me Denny,,,,, great job, beautiful plane

Dave
    Doesn\'\'t \"expecting the unexpected\"
    Make the unexpected expected?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put the BT up for sale and will be adding some current pictures here. I hope to have the pictures in the next couple of days.
    Denny

ORIGINAL: tenacious101010

I put the BT up for sale and will be adding some current pictures here. I hope to have the pictures in the next couple of days.
    Denny
    I was hoping to see you and this plane at Top Gun this year Denny. I wasn't able to make it last year.

I wish you well on the sale. She is a work of art.

Gary
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary,
    My son and I have just not been able to get together to practice flying for the event. As a matter of fact the BT has been on the shelf since Top Gun 2011. I was hoping Sean would get some time to fly it before the event, but he now has two jobs and a girlfriend, that means Dad has been lowered in the prioritys of life I plan on being at Top Gun with the plane or without. If I dont make an agreement to sell and Sean gets some time to get a few flights in, I would like to enter it this year. Frank said to let him know by mid March and he may be able to work us into the lineup.
    Denny

ORIGINAL: tenacious101010

Thanks Gary,
    My son and I have just not been able to get together to practice flying for the event. As a matter of fact the BT has been on the shelf since Top Gun 2011. I was hoping Sean would get some time to fly it before the event, but he now has two jobs and a girlfriend, that means Dad has been lowered in the prioritys of life I plan on being at Top Gun with the plane or without. If I dont make an agreement to sell and Sean gets some time to get a few flights in, I would like to enter it this year. Frank said to let him know by mid March and he may be able to work us into the lineup.
    Denny
    See you there, hopefully with that wonderful plane of yours.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, The BT-13 has been sold. I had mixed emotions about it, but I think in extrordinary times, extrordinary actions are required. I have been in contact with the buyer by the name of George and hoping he will use theis thread to continue the saga of this aircraft. Hopefully George will jump in and give us updates and images as he completes the project. The aluminum A-arm on the top of the tailwheel was damaged so I agreed to make a new one for him. I also am making a new lower A-arm and making it a bit shorter to better reflect the angle of the fulls cale tailwheel in relation to the fuselage. I have begun to make the upper A-arm and will post pictures when I can.
    Denny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The upper arm was broken where it attaches to the tailwheel strut. The new piece is made of steel and the area where the aluminum tab broke is doubled, so I doubt this one will ever break. I still have to put in two small rivets to secure the stress plate I added, sandblast it and paint it. Next will be to start on the lower A-arm, there are no signs of stress cracks, I just want to make a shorter one to make the assembly look a bit more scale.
    Denny

Name:	Vt57148.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1739533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89429.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1739534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64534.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1739535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk27845.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1739536  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The new tailwheel arms are done. Both made of steel and with double metal in the area where it broke. Ready to ship off to George.

Name:	Pm34925.jpg 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	1740876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61506.jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	1740877  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Truly a one of a kind work of art by denny....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello denny, 
    Do u have cockpit photos and its innards of this bt 13? 
    thanks much mr denny

Win Dematera
    planeinsane@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is there any interest in one of these? I have one with all the airframe, glass cowl, glass underbelly, canopy, main gear, and ton's of documentation that I would like to let go.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

acerc, There is a swap meet tomorrow (Saturday) at TRAC near the intersection of I-4 and I-75. Might be a good place to find a buyer.
    Denny

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast