Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NWHT (now Jack Devine) Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NWHT (now Jack Devine) Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
RACJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NWHT (now Jack Devine) Corsair

I bought one a week ago built,no manuel. Anyone know the CG and control throws?? THANKS
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NWHT (now Jack Devine) Corsair

Check over at RC Scale Builder.

The Jack Devine planes typically don't come with manuals.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Asanders

They come with a video. I have the video for the corsair. I will have to look for it and see what it says. I never got around to building it. My Corsair is the smaller one but the video was for the large Corsair.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
jmohn

I have the same plane and just started building it. Let me see if my paperwork has the CG on it? I think it does.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
RACJ

Thanks guys.I hope you can find the specs. jmohn,what engine do youplan to use?? I know recommended is G-45 but for about same price and weight a G-62 looks good. I have a used DL-50 sitting here but I have a feeling this plane will need more nose weight to balance.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RACJ, The balance point on your Corsair is 5 1/4" back from the leading edge of the wing measured at the wing center. If you are installing retracts the gear should be in the retracted (up) position when you are balancing the plane. It's easiest to balance the Corsair in the inverted position. I recommend the DA 50 or the G-62 if you want some real performance. A G-62 in this plane is really fun to fly and the weight of that engine will reduce the weight you need to add for balance considerably. If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Jack Devine
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
RACJ

Thank You very much for the information. I thought the G-62 might be the engine for this plane,thanks for helping me confirm that. I have a G-62 in another plane and love it. Could you tell me a good starting point on control throws for Ele,Rud. and Ailerons? THANKS,RACJ
Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Jack Devine

RACJ, For control throws you will need 1/2" Up and Down on the elevator for your low rate setting and you can increase the high rate up to 1" up and down but you will find the Corsair is very responsive to elevator input and if you choose to use the high rate recommended throws dial in some expo to tame the elevator. This will just get you comfortable and make the plane easy to fly. I have always passed that advice along to my Corsair customers and it has proven to be very sound advice over the years. For the rudder set it up for 1"left and right and concentrate on flying with the rudder. It will make the Corsair turn much cleaner and it will really improve the ground handeling and take off runs. The ailerons need 3/4" up and down on low rate and 1"up and down on high. Your Corsair will roll in a very scale fashion on low rate and if you want to speed the roll rate up the 1" throw will get the job done. If you are building the wing with flaps use 20 degrees on the first throw of your flap switch and 40 degrees on the second position. 40 degrees of flap will make this plane land at walking pace and really add to low speed stability. Good luck with your new plane and let me know if you need any other information.

Jack Devine
Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Jack Devine

Sorry I reentered this reply
Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM
RACJ

MR.Devine,Thanks so much for this info. Plane is already built,I'm 4th owner I believe. Someone PM'd me and pointed me to your website. You have some very interesting planes there. Sometime down the road I think I'd like to get the P-40 and the biplane.Thanks again for the info on setting up the plane to fly,this is Great service on a used airplane. RACJ
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
RC Flier
My Feedback: (9)

I built one of these kits in 2003, and dumb-thumbed it on the 34th flight. I rebuilt it in 2008 and now have 44 flights. I re-engined it with a 3.2 Brison and am very pleased with it. I did not build flaps and don't even need them although they would look fantastic. Wheel landings are very cool. Jack Devine has always been helpful to me for replacement cowl and canopy and answers for questions. Slow rolls are very cool. It will snap with lots of elevator. Be sure to read his Techniques column for flying warbirds too. Hey, I'm happy with mine....Corsair Driver
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
RACJ

Thanks RCFlier. Mine wasn't built with flaps either. I think I'm gonna put G-62 on ignition in her. Glad to hear it will land good without the flaps. I don't know how much prop clearance I'll have but something should work on the G-62 if I have to use shorter prop with more pitch. RACJ
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM
jmohn

I have a DA-50 for mine or might go electric ? I also installed flaps and retracts on the plane. I have only just finished the wings and have started on the fuze now.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
warbirdp51d

can the kits still be bought?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought he just sold plans and accessories for his planes.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
warbirdp51d

he has a web site with kits. Jack Devine models. the phone numbers don't work?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdp51d

he has a web site with kits. Jack Devine models. the phone numbers don't work?

No the numbers don't work.They are turned off.I have had a wing kit for the 72 inch Corsair on order for about 15 months now. The last time I talked to him, which was ayear ago, it was supposedly done and ready to ship. But he did not want to ship it because of the cold weather and freezing the foam bond glue.I have not heard a word from him sincethen. Ihave sent emails and PM's every other month asking him for a status on my wing kitand I don'tget anythingback.I am kind of giving up on getting it.

Atthat time we talked he was still sellinghis kits.I heard somewhere here on RCU that he has shut down for a while because of an illness but I do not know that for a fact and do not want to start any rumors. So I don't know what to tell you as they do not answer when you ask them anything.

The only bright side is I have not been charged anything even though he has my card info..
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
warbirdp51d

Thank u I was  so ready to build one. Still would if I could very nice looking planes.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbirdp51d

Thank u I was so ready to build one. Still would if I could very nice looking planes.

You can try the email route and see if he responds. Since you are looking for a whole kit you might get an answer. Maybe he has the kit you want ready to go where as the wing kit he needs to cut it. It might be worth a shot.