Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Hi Radial fans,

Well you are going to like these 2 vids, one is from a freind and his big B25 project!!!. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfdh...eature=related

The next one is the 14 cylinder Seidel which is now runing perfectly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBwK...eature=related

Cheers Graham B
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET
Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
GFoushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham,

Great video's!!!! I'm sure a lot of us would love to watch the B-25 with those 400 take to the sky!!! Keep us in the loop on that one.... My Update... The 250 power plant is now complete and installed... If I only had a template for baffling and a three bladed prop I'd be in business.... LOL

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75454.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1265104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57486.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1265105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12903.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1265106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26417.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1265107  
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Very Nice Greg! Looking good!

On another note: SAY IT AIN"T SO!

I was convinced that I would have to add wood or build a box. Well I decided to measure post firewall and wouldn't you know..... I have to re-cut the dome back by roughly 1 1/2" . I was going to measure the distance back, cut the dome and glue in another firewall.

Name:	Ax72929.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1265212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54946.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1265213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62103.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1265214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59227.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1265215  
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GFoushi

Graham,

Great video's!!!! I'm sure a lot of us would love to watch the B-25 with those 400 take to the sky!!! Keep us in the loop on that one.... My Update... The 250 power plant is now complete and installed... If I only had a template for baffling and a three bladed prop I'd be in business.... LOL

Greg
Hey Greg,
Looks very clean...love that! Where are the choke and throttle servos going to be. We'd love a pic of them once installed. Keep it up. We'll be flying them soon.

Scott
Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 PM
GFoushi

Scott,

Thanks, for the compliment…. The throttle servo is attached to the fuel tank tray on the other side the arrow shows the location… I’ll take a photo if I have to take the power plant out again…. Hoping not!!!!

I have no servo on the choke!!! I will have a pull wire underneath the cowl to open and close it.. I attached a few pics of it inside the engine box…

Greg

Name:	Ig11754.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1265295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84264.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1265296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92635.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1265297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49685.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1265298  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Scott Prossen

Hey Guys,

Great news. [sm=teeth_smile.gif] The re-powered (formerly PJ Ash's Meister) P47 flew today. Put two flights in and it was a big *****cat as far as handling goes. What a great plane [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Meister Scale has. The Moki 150 did real well even though it was running a bit rich in the cowl. I have leaned it out about an eighth turn and will try again Tuesday and then it's off to Warbirds Over Atlanta. Hope some of you will make it there. There will be two Moki/Meister P47's for sure and possibly a third if Todd and Jeff show up with theirs. So cool to have three flying at the same time.....wow!

Anyhow, showed up at the local club and there where lots of guys milling around as you can see in one of the pics. Put the thing together and test ran the engine and all seemed pretty good. Put the cowl on and flew it around a bit. Got it trimmed out pretty quick, tested the slow flight and noticed it running a bit rich so I landed. Cowl off, turned the H needle in 1/16 of a turn, cowl on and flew it again. Engine picked up about 300 RPM. Flew great and had a ball with it. Brought it in for landing and called it a good day. I have checked everything tonight and turned in the H needle another 1/16 for the next flight on Tuesday for final tweaking before I go to Atlanta on Thursday.

The plane came out at 44.4lbs dry. I used 50:1 Amsoil mix in a 50 once tank and it worked great. Checked the engine after both flights and the temps ranged from 180 to 203 degrees immediately after landing. With no baffling this was very good considering it was a typical hot and humid Florida day. That being the case I'm not sure I will baffle it. Still deciding on that one. Running a HydriMax NiMh 4.8v 4200Ma battery.

I'm thinking about using High Temp RTV Silicone Sealant/Gasket material on the ever loosening nuts going from the header pipes to the collector ring/muffler. Any thoughts on that guys[sm=confused.gif]?

Thanks to my friend Sean Curry who helped me out all day today. He got a few flight shot but I have not received them yet. Oh well, this plane had been all over the magazines thanks to the wonderful efforts of Mr. PJ Ash. Great flying photos on the Top Gun site from this year just before I bought it.

That's all I got for now. Thanks again to all you guys for helping to make this a really helpful site! See you around.

Moki engines are fantastic,
Scott

Name:	Yw66336.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1266175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49985.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1266176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65846.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1266177  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

Scott, my girlfriend was put in the hospital Friday and we just got her home today. I will be there sometime Thursday afternoon. I didn't get to get it painted so we'll be flying in the primer again.[&o] Jeff

Name:	Jg14211.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1266183  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Scott Prossen

Sorry to hear about your girl. Hope she gets better soon.

Primer.......it's all good. We'll have a blast. You know you're gonna have to paint that puppy and bring it down to Monster Planes in October. Oh yes you are! www.monsterplanes.com

Can't wait to see and hear all three of these babies cruising around together. We can have a Moki gaggle. How cool.

All the best to your GF. See you thursday.

Scott
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
jeff naul

The doctors said that she contracted a slow acting virus while we were at Top gun in May, I know who to keep her away from in the future

Name:	Lj23402.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1266222  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Hello82

Sorry to hear about your girl there Jeff, hope all goes well for her and you both have a good time at the upcoming meet chasing around 2 other Moki P47's...

Nice vids Graham!.. glad your flights went well too Mitch..and .Greg you are close!

I too experienced those issues with the after-market fuel cap....

....Scott glad to hear it was a success...so for newbie who never has run a Moki...the sound of a rich 5 cylinder is much different than a leaner one and quite noticeable from the ground easily?

Matt

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Scott Prossen

Hey Matt,

Yeah it sure is. Similar but a little more subtle than a two cycle. You will notice it on the tach as well as the ear. You notice the absence of the top end purr as well as in the midrange will be less than smooth.

I never had that problem when I ran it right out of the box in the Yak11. Maybe since it underwent major repair [sm=cry_smile.gif] following the crash it needed to be adjusted just a bit more. I believe the different cowl pressure and airflow might have something to do with it too........not positive but I think so.

I hope you are still considering Monster Planes???

Been watching your 190 build, learning a bunch, good stuff there Matt. Can't wait till you fire up the Moki and take her for a flight! At the rate you build it won't be long but your weather will be gone. Might have to come down here for a week mid winter and give it a maiden. Got a good shop down here to work on it, the local clubs to fly at (both grass and paved) and the guest room to rest up for the next days flight.

See ya around Matt,

Scott
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Hello82

thanks for the info Scott...does everyone bench run it before flying...or just install and do a bit of testing while installed still ok for short periods, then just fly her?

.....not sure on Monsters but still possible...we'll see as it gets closer
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
taygher

ORIGINAL: Scott Prossen

Hey Guys,

Great news. [sm=teeth_smile.gif] The re-powered (formerly PJ Ash's Meister) P47 flew today. Put two flights in and it was a big *****cat as far as handling goes. What a great plane [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Meister Scale has. The Moki 150 did real well even though it was running a bit rich in the cowl. I have leaned it out about an eighth turn and will try again Tuesday and then it's off to Warbirds Over Atlanta. Hope some of you will make it there. There will be two Moki/Meister P47's for sure and possibly a third if Todd and Jeff show up with theirs. So cool to have three flying at the same time.....wow!

Anyhow, showed up at the local club and there where lots of guys milling around as you can see in one of the pics. Put the thing together and test ran the engine and all seemed pretty good. Put the cowl on and flew it around a bit. Got it trimmed out pretty quick, tested the slow flight and noticed it running a bit rich so I landed. Cowl off, turned the H needle in 1/16 of a turn, cowl on and flew it again. Engine picked up about 300 RPM. Flew great and had a ball with it. Brought it in for landing and called it a good day. I have checked everything tonight and turned in the H needle another 1/16 for the next flight on Tuesday for final tweaking before I go to Atlanta on Thursday.

The plane came out at 44.4lbs dry. I used 50:1 Amsoil mix in a 50 once tank and it worked great. Checked the engine after both flights and the temps ranged from 180 to 203 degrees immediately after landing. With no baffling this was very good considering it was a typical hot and humid Florida day. That being the case I'm not sure I will baffle it. Still deciding on that one. Running a HydriMax NiMh 4.8v 4200Ma battery.

I'm thinking about using High Temp RTV Silicone Sealant/Gasket material on the ever loosening nuts going from the header pipes to the collector ring/muffler. Any thoughts on that guys[sm=confused.gif]?

Thanks to my friend Sean Curry who helped me out all day today. He got a few flight shot but I have not received them yet. Oh well, this plane had been all over the magazines thanks to the wonderful efforts of Mr. PJ Ash. Great flying photos on the Top Gun site from this year just before I bought it.

That's all I got for now. Thanks again to all you guys for helping to make this a really helpful site! See you around.

Moki engines are fantastic,
Scott
Wow Scott, that P47 looks awsome!
I am really a big warbird fan but decided to build an aerobatic model (Yak55sp) around my 250 having our short runway in mind.
In the future I would like to build a nice warbird and move the 250 between the Yak and this new baby.
I can't see a suitable P47 on the market today but someday there might be one? Right now the choice would stand between the 3W Bearcat, the C-ARF Corsair or the Scale Wings LA7. A tough choice that I don't have to make just now since my economy needs to recover from the latest Yak-project..

Interesting to read about your adjustments of the needles aswell, I cought a really bad cold last week and have been too tired from high fever to do any sort of work on my Moki.
Later this week I will try a leaner fuel mix (50:1) and also lean the needles slightly and hopefully I can have some more flights on the Yak before the season is over. Winter can come really fast here, it could be snow in a month or so but that seems to be very rare these days. (The climate has changed a lot in the last 30 years or so..)

A flight video of your really nice P47 would be great. A Moki radial really comes to it's best use in a warbird!!

/Taygher
Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Scott Prossen

taygher,
Thanks for the kind words. Sorry no video from yesterday. Maybe someone will do some in Atlanta this weekend. It is now confirmed that there will be three Meister P47's all with Moki 150's. That's going to be fun! Yeah the 50:1 worked great. I'm so happy about that because I've been wanting to go to it for some time now and just wasn't sure. Earlier in this thread I think Mick15 mentioned they were doing that for the last 4 years and the 250 I received a month ago recommended the same 50:1. A lot cleaner burn and seemed to run cooler with the Amsoil......just as they claim. Check out this P-47 for the 250 http://www.mnbigbirds.com/P47%20Kit%20Page.htm The LA-7 is a sure thing as well. Two of my friends have them and they are fantastic. Very hard to get a hold of right now. Back ordered up the ying yang! Let us know what you decide on.

Matt,
I personally didn't know of many that have bench run them. Mostly cause they don't have a test bench strong enough. As far as I know, they don't need to be bench run and they had in the past advised against it. No need I guess. Hope you jump a flight and come down to visit for Monsters.

Here's a couple flight pics from yesterday.

Name:	Mk25852.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1266460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47671.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1266461  
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

Did the prop seem appropriate? I assume you used the recommended Bambula 26x16. If not, I need to know!

Congratulations on the successful flights!

Looking forward to seeing more after your trip to Atlanta

Best,

Noah
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Scott Prossen

ORIGINAL: butlern

Scott,

Did the prop seem appropriate? I assume you used the recommended Bambula 26x16. If not, I need to know!

Congratulations on the successful flights!

Looking forward to seeing more after your trip to Atlanta

Best,

Noah
You assumed correct. I flew that prop on my WWII Yak11 for 50+ flights and it always performed well so I never went to anything else. I know a few that have gone to a 28 x 12 and 14 with mixed results. I guess it depends on if you want more vertical or speed performance. Can't wait to see your Avenger take to the sky. You should maiden it and bring it down to Monster Planes in October!!!

Good to hear from you Noah,

Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 AM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Scott,

I'm so glad that my 47 is working out for you!!! It is sort a "bitter sweat" to see it again! I can't wait to chase you around with what I'm desperately trying to get done!! I'll hopefully have pics up by tomorrow!

Jeff, sorry about Tara! Dang, that is where that itch came from!! I thought it was from spooning with you!!!

now , off to bed,
PJ
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
jeff naul

OUCH! That was a hit below the belt. Guy's, the real reason P.J. sold the 47 to Scott is so he could buy one of those new robotic blow up doll's.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM
lovetoflyguy

Wow...lol and this is where the conversation goes south!!!!

I'm so excited about the doll Jeff, it looks just like you! That's okay buddy we'll just all take our frustrations out at the flying field! Looks like the D9 will have fun at the P-47 buffett!

Much luv!
PJ
Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Scott Prossen

Hey Guys,

Let's get back to the Moki's[sm=angry_smile.gif]. I've had quite a few guys compliment this thread because it wasn't filled with a bunch of goofy stuff or personal "off topic" items. Let's try and keep it that way............pretty please[sm=cry_smile.gif]???

Thanks and see you this weekend[sm=wink_smile.gif],

Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
lovetoflyguy

Okay, but before we get back to Moki's, this is what is going to be at your 6 all weekend Scottie poo!!!

Love you bunches!
PJ

Name:	Tr51630.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	1267295  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

Hey PJ,
Looks good but paint that prop like "GPETE" said on the other thread.[:@] Hey man I think it’s just fine and anyway do me a favor and the first P-47 you get make it Jeff’s. Last time we ran the Mokie it was running sick so you can get him quick. Wish I could be there but maybe next year and don't listen to a word Jeff tells ya'll about why I couldn't make it.Good luck everybody Todd
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
GFoushi

PJ,

Very nice looking plane...... What's under the hood??? I think the LA-7 wants some of that action!!!

Greg
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,

Try your idea of using the High Temp RTV silicone on the collector ring nuts of my 250, it seems to work fine. Seven flights since applying the silicone to the back of each nuts, and so far the results have been good. Now, any suggestion for the throttle arm?[8D]
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Scott Prossen

David,

Glad the RTV worked for you. Works great for me too. As far as the throttle arm, you'll have to refresh my memory. I don't recall the problem or question you had???
I'll take a stab at it as soon as you get back to me.

C U
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.