RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Reply

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM
  #4301  
vickyz
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 39
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Very much appreciate on the advice.thank you so much to spend time to teach newbie like me
vickyz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:08 PM
  #4302  
Howie-RCU
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 49
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RichardGee View Post
No you do not and should not.
I'm curious Richard why?
The pump instructions say to disconnect it and we have always done that with no issue. The whole point of the electric pump is to provide the carb with fuel at a constant pressure.
Just wondering if you have had a different experience.
Howie-RCU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 PM
  #4303  
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)
 
RichardGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dixon, CA
Posts: 979
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Howie-RCU View Post
I'm curious Richard why?
The pump instructions say to disconnect it and we have always done that with no issue. The whole point of the electric pump is to provide the carb with fuel at a constant pressure.
Just wondering if you have had a different experience.
I left my pump tube intact as a pseudo insurance policy, should the electric pump fail to work properly,
After many flights, I have experienced zero issues leaving the pump tube in place. I also figure it isolates the engine internals from contamination.
I don't claim to be an authority and could be dead wrong on this, but thus far it has worked fine this way.
RichardGee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:55 PM
  #4304  
Howie-RCU
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 49
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

OK I see where you are coming from but unless you are going to the trouble of maintaining the tube and making sure it is not blocked, then it's not really insurance. If you are going to that trouble then get rid of the electric pump because the carb pump works a treat if the line is not blocked. Just my $0.02
Howie-RCU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 PM
  #4305  
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)
 
RichardGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dixon, CA
Posts: 979
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Howie-RCU View Post
OK I see where you are coming from but unless you are going to the trouble of maintaining the tube and making sure it is not blocked, then it's not really insurance. If you are going to that trouble then get rid of the electric pump because the carb pump works a treat if the line is not blocked. Just my $0.02
Interestingly, after many flights, my fuel pump pulse tube is absolutely clear of any grease.
RichardGee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:34 PM
  #4306  
tmac48
 
tmac48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: kangaroo flatVIC, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 573
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Howie-RCU View Post
OK I see where you are coming from but unless you are going to the trouble of maintaining the tube and making sure it is not blocked, then it's not really insurance. If you are going to that trouble then get rid of the electric pump because the carb pump works a treat if the line is not blocked. Just my $0.02
Howie, I might just jump in with my experience if that's ok. I installed my pump because I was having trouble with the first start of the day, however in the process of installing the pump I realized I had the tank below the level of the carby, I installed the pump after repositioning the tank simply because I did not want to go to the trouble of opening up my fuselage again!!!. I really do think that if the tank was higher than the carb in the first place then the pump would not have been necessary. I have left the original pump installed and keep an eye on the line for any grease that may block it but as yet have not seen any sign of obstruction at all!
tmac48
tmac48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:35 PM
  #4307  
Howie-RCU
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 49
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RichardGee View Post
Interestingly, after many flights, my fuel pump pulse tube is absolutely clear of any grease.
Yep not surprised. I have seen 10 year old Moki's that have plenty of flights and no issue with grease in the tube and some that are 3 month old and the tube is blocked after 20 flights.
Howie-RCU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 PM
  #4308  
Howie-RCU
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 49
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tmac48 View Post
Howie, I might just jump in with my experience if that's ok. I installed my pump because I was having trouble with the first start of the day, however in the process of installing the pump I realized I had the tank below the level of the carby, I installed the pump after repositioning the tank simply because I did not want to go to the trouble of opening up my fuselage again!!!. I really do think that if the tank was higher than the carb in the first place then the pump would not have been necessary. I have left the original pump installed and keep an eye on the line for any grease that may block it but as yet have not seen any sign of obstruction at all!
tmac48
Hi Macka
Tank height "shouldn't" make any difference.
You started out with a brand new engine that would of got easier to start and better running after it had some time on it maybe??
Howie-RCU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 PM
  #4309  
tmac48
 
tmac48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: kangaroo flatVIC, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 573
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Howie, I agree that the height of the tank with a walbro type carby is not as critical as our old rc motors (methanol) We have been spoilt with our DA engines, but they are two stroke and seem to have better suck( if that is the correct terminology,) than the 4 strokes. I never ran into difficulties in getting the fuel to the carby ( stopping in the line short of the carby) like I have witnessed with the Moki! ( ie 4 stroke)
tmac48.
tmac48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:07 PM
  #4310  
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Georgetown, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JB Weld ?

Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not JB Weld would stand up to the heat in a typical Moki exhaust extension ?
I would be using the original JB Weld epoxy, as their newer "high temp formula" gets pretty negative reviews.
Thanks-Mike O
IFLYBVM2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM
  #4311  
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)
 
RichardGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dixon, CA
Posts: 979
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 View Post
Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not JB Weld would stand up to the heat in a typical Moki exhaust extension ?
I would be using the original JB Weld epoxy, as their newer "high temp formula" gets pretty negative reviews.
Thanks-Mike O
I made an exhaust extension using hobby grade Silver Solder and it melted straight away. I doubt JB Weld would stand up to the heat.
RichardGee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:35 AM
  #4312  
Blancr
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chipping Norton, , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 166
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 View Post
Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not JB Weld would stand up to the heat in a typical Moki exhaust extension ?
I would be using the original JB Weld epoxy, as their newer "high temp formula" gets pretty negative reviews.
Thanks-Mike O
Mike,
I extended mine with jubilee clips. Put a saw cut down the extension tube short of the end of the overlaping area so the tube can contract onto the exhaust and tighten up the clip. I've had no problems with this approach.
Bob
Page 92 of the Carf P47 manual shows how it's done - with thanks to Richard Gee.

Last edited by Blancr; 09-06-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Blancr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 AM
  #4313  
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Georgetown, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Exhaust temps ?

Has anyone ever taken their temp gun and took a reading at the end of the exhaust extension pipe ?
Working on an exhaust idea and just wondering what kind of temps to expect at the end of a typical
( 8 inch or so) extension. (Moki 250)
Thanks-Mike O.
IFLYBVM2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:53 AM
  #4314  
jimboq8
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: kuwaitkuwait, KUWAIT
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Moki 400 ignition.

I am wondering if you can use the moki 250 ignition on the moki 400, Ive misplaced the 400 ignition and the plugs and sockets seem to be the same, And secondly does anyone have a spare one they wanna sell ?
Cheers
jimboq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
  #4315  
frankyy54
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

No, the Hardware is the same, but the ignition curves are different...
frankyy54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
  #4316  
jimboq8
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: kuwaitkuwait, KUWAIT
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Pants. Will have to get a new one then. Thankyou for the reply.
jimboq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service