Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Der Goetz
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Hello guys,
this is Götz (Gotz in case the forum software magles the umlaut again) from Vogelsang Aeroscale. Thank you for your kind words and patience the past few weeks, it has been very much appreciated.
I just returned from Toledo and wanted to share a few updates with you:

We have the Moki S5-180 (S180) now in stock.
The S7-250s are scheduled to come in late May.
But the news that I am most exciting about: we are working on a new (non-Moki and 100% purpose build) ignition system which will throw a stronger spark (which we can now afford being on 2.4GHz) and go into burst-mode on startup. Meaning two things: it will be a breeze to start your 5 cylinder Moki radial but more importantly: It will force rich cylinders (#3 and sometimes #4) into submission and get even the old style S150s to run, something that all the modifications except for a complete conversion were not able to achieve to this day.

Performance: we see up to 300rpm gained on high! This is not simply 7% more RPM, this is a lot of power gained, far in excess of 7%. I am very excited about this and in combination with our Turbulators this will be THE performance upgrade - period.

Hope all is well,

Götz
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Imagine a world where all Moki Radial Engines run equally. Awsome!
Hope to hear more from Götz very soon on this new update.

Thanks - J Tab
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
mogman

Hopefully, this will fit/work on the 400.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
wingstrut

Can you fellas imagine, this is like inventing the wheel. Everyone will have Moki's that operate as reliable and simple as a Zenoah or DLE.
Only thing we will have to worry about is the valve adjustment.
We owe these inventors a lot they make our hobby more pleasurable.
By adding a fuel pump a turbulator and now a special ignition system that engine will shine.
I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this forum which has helped me understand this engine and make my engine runs successful, and Scott for starting this forum.
I have a Moki 215
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a new Moki 150. The carb could not be set to allow the engine to run properly. The pulse generator was dry, so I lubed it. I can now get the carb adjusted & the engine runs fine on the ground. Problem is, every time I take off, the engine stops immediately I leave the ground. I am assuming the pulse generator is not working as it should. Re-plumbed the tank & tried new fuel lines. No change. The pulse generator tube is clear & the carb filter is clear.
I have ordered the electric pump. I hope this cures the problem. I am a bit sick at paying so much for an engine that does not work properly. I think my engine test data supplied is the work of fiction.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 AM
kipuetz

Jim,I have had my 150 for 6 month,it has never run reliably for any length of time!!!!
I am flying my beautyful Focke Wulf 190 with a $595 Chinese engine .
What are we supposed  to do?
I can't even get a simple cylinder head gasket for it ,.
Truly p..... off.
Karl.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Goetz, Are you coming to TopGun this year? Hope to see you and maybe get my hands on the new ignition. Pricing?? Mitch
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 AM
DjBac

How would you compare the two 250s (apart from the extra 2 cylinders)? Power/torque/sound wise.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 AM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

I will order two non-Moki and 100% purpose build ignition system for my two 250
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Der Goetz

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

I have a new Moki 150. The carb could not be set to allow the engine to run properly. The pulse generator was dry, so I lubed it. I can now get the carb adjusted & the engine runs fine on the ground. Problem is, every time I take off, the engine stops immediately I leave the ground. I am assuming the pulse generator is not working as it should. Re-plumbed the tank & tried new fuel lines. No change. The pulse generator tube is clear & the carb filter is clear.
I have ordered the electric pump. I hope this cures the problem. I am a bit sick at paying so much for an engine that does not work properly. I think my engine test data supplied is the work of fiction.

Dear Jim,

the fact that the engines quits when the fuel tank drops below carb-level is a strong indicator of the extrenal pump being the game-changer.
Another test: malfunctioning setups cannot be run rich at all on the H needle.

When was your engine manufactured? Your report card will show a date. That will reveal the revision of your engine (has nothing to do with the fuel transportation to the carb, I am just curious).

Götz
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Der Goetz

Jim,I have had my 150 for 6 month,it has never run reliably for any length of time!!!!
I am flying my beautyful Focke Wulf 190 with a $595 Chinese engine .
What are we supposed to do?
I can't even get a simple cylinder head gasket for it ,.
Truly p..... off.
Karl.

Karl, we have these gaskets in stock.

Please call anytime, I would love to discuss the troubles you have with the engine. It doesnt matter where you purchased, just call in.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Der Goetz

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Hi Goetz, Are you coming to TopGun this year? Hope to see you and maybe get my hands on the new ignition. Pricing?? Mitch

I am trying, but have lost so much time i the office the past 5 months (being sick twice, then our baby daughter being born, then all the family from around the globe visiting, then WRAM, FL Jets, surgery with 2 weeks worth of complications, not Toledo) I am afraid I cannot afford to leave. I have to catch up and finally do all the updates I need to do. We got some reall neat things in (SiSt 1:4 scale FW-190 for example) and nothing is online yet....

As for the ignition, it will come out later this summer, and a second version without the stronger spark but changed programming later this year.
We should have videos of the (our) new ignition up in a couple of days/weeks which showcases how the startup has changed from flipping to gently swiping the prop over compression.

As for those who want my assessment of the S7-250, please call in if you could.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: Der Goetz

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

Dear Jim,

the fact that the engines quits when the fuel tank drops below carb-level is a strong indicator of the extrenal pump being the game-changer.
Another test: malfunctioning setups cannot be run rich at all on the H needle.

When was your engine manufactured? Your report card will show a date. That will reveal the revision of your engine (has nothing to do with the fuel transportation to the carb, I am just curious).

Götz

Hi Gotz. Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. My 150 was manufactured on 23rd January 2012. it is no:- 443. I was told the pulse generator has a Teflon ring on the piston. Mine has what appears to be a bronze ring & does not seal very well.
Do you think the electric pump will help my problem?

Thanks
Jim
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Der Goetz

[/quote]

Hi Gotz. Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. My 150 was manufactured on 23rd January 2012. it is no:- 443. I was told the pulse generator has a Teflon ring on the piston. Mine has what appears to be a bronze ring & does not seal very well.

Thanks
Jim
[/quote]

Dear Jim,

Can you run the engine "too rich on H" at all?
If you (at the same moment, you might need assistance) close the vent line and add pressure to the fuel tank by for example connecting your fuelstation and pumping in gas, does the engines behaviour 9especially on full throttle) change for the better? It will NOT be perfect, but do you see a change? These are pump/fuel transportation related issues.

Do all of your cylinders fire? You can check by means of a temp. gun or checking for white puffs of smoke. There are not oil puffs, this is unignited fuel/gas mix.

best would be could you call in, Jim
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: Der Goetz

Thanks
Jim
[/quote]

Dear Jim,

Can you run the engine ''too rich on H'' at all?
If you (at the same moment, you might need assistance) close the vent line and add pressure to the fuel tank by for example connecting your fuelstation and pumping in gas, does the engines behaviour 9especially on full throttle) change for the better? It will NOT be perfect, but do you see a change? These are pump/fuel transportation related issues.

Do all of your cylinders fire? You can check by means of a temp. gun or checking for white puffs of smoke. There are not oil puffs, this is unignited fuel/gas mix.

best would be could you call in, Jim
[/quote]

The carb will set richer, although not by much. If I set it richer, I can fly the model for about a minute, before it stops. However, it has little power, as cyl number 3 stops firing (checked by temp gun).
This richer setting, running on the ground also eventually causes no 3 cyl to fail & this causes smoke puffing. If I lean it out, no 3 starts firing again, but quits on take off.
I will try some pressure to the vent line to see if it helps.
I ordered the electric pump a few days ago, so hopefully it will solve the problem.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Der Goetz

MOKI S215 BULLETIN
*IMPORTANT*

PLEASE take a few minutes of your time and check your old S215s if you could.
We have found that the old generation, part of the ones with the thinner exhaust tubes and made until a couple of years ago (we are lacking a threshold serial number unfortunately) have the following problem:

The valve lifters/cam followers were made with a steel roller-ball at the end of them. These balls can and will break lose, going on a rampage and damaging your cam follower sleeve (sticking the valves), the cam drum, the cam gears, leading to a very expensive overhaul.

This can simply be avoided by:
Rotate the prop to where the cam lifter you want to check is unloaded. You only need to check one to find out what version you have. Remove the pushrod by lifting the rocker. Now unbolt the cam-follower housing with an open wrench, these are regular threads. Do not simply pull the lifter out; if it is a new style lifter it might hurt the seal on the cam-follower housing if you do so. Remove the housing/lifter combo instead.

Now check the lifter. If it is a “simple” rod with a rounded end on the bottom you are good to go. If you find the “ball-pen” style end please ground the engine for the time being and contact us for replacements. We opened up a can of worms here and have a large order of replacement lifters open with Moki right now. Should be here soon.

When you bolt the cam-follower housing back in place make sure to test the action of the cam lifter. If you tighten too much it might get stuck. In that case tighten as much as you can while having a free lifter and use Locktite to secure the housing in the thread.

Best regards,

Götz
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that my 215 ser#757 has the roller ball valve lifters. Rather than take a chance I've ordered a new set from Vogelsang. Thanks for the heads up Goetz. Mitch
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM
shaked israel

i have the moki 150 radial, and after couple of a few howers runing the engine Pulled out grease as show at the Picture, after the runing.
can sombody know what it is.
the engine run normaly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25128.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1752978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92518.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1752979  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 AM
goneflyin2002

i have the moki 150 radial, and after couple of a few howers runing the engine Pulled out grease as show at the Picture, after the runing.
can sombody know what it is.
the engine run normaly
Good morning-
Yes my 150 does the same thing- it is some grease out of the cam area, and lubricates the pulse pump, and slowly leaks out of the air vent of the pulse pump.
You just wipe it off and go. But check your clear pulse air line frequently for any signs of that black grease inside, if you see any it must be removed. Any blockage there will stop your engine.

Of course the real cure for all this is to bypass all this and go to the electric fuel pump I guess- but mine's still stock and runs very well indeed.

Don
Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 AM
shaked israel

thank you don
shaked israel
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM
wingstrut

Does anyone know where to obtain an exploded view of the Moki engine so we have at least an idea of what we will encounter when we have to go inside.
Also I am going to install an electric pump on my 215, should I remove the piston inside of the pulse generator so I don't have to worry about it running dry and causing other problems and can I do that without taking the whole engine apart.

I bench ran my 215 and had temperature readings of 210 to 215 on all cyls. except good ol number 3 it had a temperature of 175.
After running about 12 ounces of fuel @ 40-1 mix Pennzoil 2 cycle, dinosaur oil, and carb at factory settings, (I didn't touch a thing.) I checked the plugs and they all looked exactly the same. Black but not oily, I don't think I ran the engine long enough to get an established plug reading.
I'm assuming that #3 is firing but running much cooler than the other ones.
Would a turbulator fix this or should I not worry as long as it doesn't get cooler than that.

Round engines forever!!!!! Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Ron
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
heinzulrich

Exploded view, good luck. I've been after one for a long,long time . I was told that the reason was that "They" , don't want use messing around with the engine. POOR excuse I think??
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM
wingstrut

Thanks heinzulrich, I think someone needs to mess with it, especially since they keep producing the engine with that stupid pulse generator that could cause destruction to your six to ten thousand dollar investment every time you fly it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
heinzulrich

I'm also interested in that new ignition system you fellows were talking about earlier on..???
Any more news on that front??
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
heinzulrich

Oh heck, got one more goofy question? the pulse generator, does it just unscrew ? counter clock wise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.