Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM
wingstrut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Yes, and there is a small piston that stays with the engine that has a ring that seals in the cylinder.
I just make sure that the piston is lubricated around the outer circumference and remove the grease that is on top of the piston or in the top of the cylinder.
you need to seal the threads when you reinstall the outer casing making sure you don't get any of the sealant in the cylinder.
Ron
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Concerning the Pulse Pump components, here is a shot of a disassembled 250 pulse pump assembly.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 PM
wingstrut

Steve, Thanks for the pictures, it looks like a front end disassembly to remove the pump. There is a lot of grease in that section.
It probably wouldn't hurt just to leave it there and let it do nothing.
Any comments or Ideas on this one, anybody..........
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct; there is no removing the pulse pump assembly without splitting the nose case. The pins the planetary gears align on, one planetary gear of which drives the connecting rod for the pulse pump piston also acts as the alignment pins for the nose and forward case halves. You can screw the pulse pump cylinder barrel off, but that is about it.

The only caution I would give if you choose to plug the pulse tube and use the electric fuel pump is to keep the pulse pump air intake hole clean. If the air hole was ever able to become clogged and the grease were to build above the piston then a hydraulic lock may occur. This would create a side load on the planetary gear which drives the piston closing the gap between the planetary gear and the crankshaft splines. This would lead to a catastrophic engine failure in my estimation.

The gear in the bottom of this photo shows the concentric lobe on the top side of the planetary gear in which the pulse pump connecting rod drives on. This is how MOKI develops the stroking action of the piston. You can also see in the photo there is no room for any side load to occur without damaging the gear train.

Just my thoughts,
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 AM
wingstrut

Thanks again Steve, I don't mind the maintenance, it's the fact that little thing could cause such a big problem, that is what was bugging me.

I appreciate the trouble you went through to send that picture, now I feel a little better knowing what is in there.

I still need to do maintenance on my pulse pump, also because of your concern about hydraulic locking, I think I will run the tube from the pulse pump to the atmosphere, that way there would unlikely be a hydraulic lock, it would pump the grease down the tube, and if the tube was at least four inches long there would not be any dirt injested back through it.

Thank you again Steve, with these experiences from so many guys it won't be long before we figure these babies out.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those who have fitted the electric pump, do you block off the carb festo of the pulse generator tube, or leave it open?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
kipuetz

Yes,a3 mm dome nut and fiber washer on the tube side, a very short 3mm bolt with a fiber washer on the pump side.
Karl.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
kipuetz

Dear Goetz,firstly I congratuate you and you wife on the birth of you baby daughter, I hope mum and baby a doing well!
I also wish you yourself the best of health.
Thank's for you intrest in my "Case" , 150.
I will ring in shortly to order the gaskets and other spares.
Thank you also for all the great work you have done in this forum!
Karl-Heinz.

p/S,I hope I don't foul up the time conversion when I ring,+10 hrs here.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karl. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: kipuetz

Yes,a3 mm dome nut and fiber washer on the tube side, a very short 3mm bolt with a fiber washer on the pump side.
Karl.

I can understand closing (blocking) off the carburetor, but wouldn't you only block off the Moki pump side off if you have removed the pump mechanism from the motor?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM
wingstrut

Like Warbirdrcer stated, if you block off the pulse pump you could possibly have a hydraulic lock if grease got on top of the piston of the pulse pump.
I think it would be better to vent the pulse pump to the atmosphere leaving about four inches of tube so dirt would not be sucked into the engine.

HELP! We need an expert on this one

Question, When using an electric pump should you block off the pulse pump, or vent it to the atmosphere.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 AM
mogman

When I put the electric pump on my 400, the instructions said to cut the pulse tube and leave about 1/2 in. at the carb end and plug it with a piece of wire. Leave the tube from the pulse pump open and let it sit between the cylinders. I have 35 flights on mine with NO issues.

Cheers,
Dave.
Waco Brotherhood # 180.

PS.......I meant NO issues other than the dreaded #3 cyl dropping out. Hopefully, Goetz' new ignition will help that.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Der Goetz
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: shaked israel

i have the moki 150 radial, and after couple of a few howers runing the engine Pulled out grease as show at the Picture, after the runing.
can sombody know what it is.
the engine run normaly

Dear Shaked,

You would want to install the engine with the airpump being as close to the 12 o'clock position as possible, that will minimize, almost completely eliminate the loss of your bearing grease.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Der Goetz

ORIGINAL: wingstrut

Question, When using an electric pump should you block off the pulse pump, or vent it to the atmosphere.

I usually cut it (the airline), install an inch long piece of 2-56 rod to re-connect the tube visually and the cut/drill a small breather hole into the tube, right after the pump. That way I have no pressure buildup, maintained the scale look and keep grime from entering the carb.

-Götz
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

While on the subject of the pulse air pump, the clear festo tube is cut and blocked on the carb side only. The pump side is left open. I run an APS fuel pump with good results.
After about 1-1/2 gallons of running, I have not noticed any grease leaking from the air pump or tube.

Question: Is it acceptable to see no grease at all leaking from the pump ??????

Thanks - Jaketab
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
wingstrut

I haven't purchased my electric pump yet, I guess I should have realized that the instructions with the pump would explain all this.
Thank you again Gotz for straightening out this issue. I like your idea of reconnecting the tube and drill a hole to vent the pump.
Ron
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM
shaked israel

thank you der goetz
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
kipuetz

You are absolutely right,Doc Vogelsang's way is the way to go!
Karl.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Der Goetz

Let me give an update on our new ignition:

It will run on 7.4 to 11.1Volts, meaning you can run 3S LiFe, 2S and 3S LiPo and your "older generation" batteries at the correct voltages, as well.
Consumption is actually DOWN from the Moki ignition. I should have numbers when it comes to engine performance in a few weeks, the Moki S250 tests are finished, we are working on the S150 right now.

Adjusting the engine has never been easier as this ignition ignites "scenarios" the stock ignition was not able to handle.

-Götz
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Der Goetz

Let me give an update on our new ignition:

It will run on 7.4 to 11.1Volts, meaning you can run 3S LiFe, 2S and 3S LiPo and your ''older generation'' batteries at the correct voltages, as well.
Consumption is actually DOWN from the Moki ignition. I should have numbers when it comes to engine performance in a few weeks, the Moki S250 tests are finished, we are working on the S150 right now.

Adjusting the engine has never been easier as this ignition ignites ''scenarios'' the stock ignition was not able to handle.

-Götz

what is the anticipated $$$price$$$ ballpark on the new ignition ??

thanks

~V~
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Der Goetz

I have no numbers yet but should be right around the cost of the stock ignition system, not much more.
But again, I have no pricing yet, no shipping, no hard information regarding that matter.
-Götz
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
heinzulrich

Altzheimers setting in again????? re 215 carb settings, can't remember what the original settings were for the low & hight .. Any help?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Der Goetz

H 1.6 out
L 1.2 out

Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
heinzulrich

thanks,
Heinz
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Datavision

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Picked up this ''unique'' Gee Bee fantasy airplane and will install a Moki 250 in it ....... what do you think?
How does that one fly? Easytiger Models has a demo model of the smaller version of that one for sale for cheap, and I was thinking about buying it. I saw the actual model at the WRAM show, but I have seen other Fantasy Gee Bee R3 models that did not fly well. Have you flown it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.