Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Hey, Tom!

Heck yes the Avenger is still flying. And the moki 150 is running great... and has been for several years, ever since I grew a pair and stated tweaking the needles hard. Leaning it out solved everything. It's strong as mule and happy as a clam. No pump, no turbulator, no worries. And it's the "pre-2009" version, too! hahahah!

Going to take it to an event in Tulsa, OK this Saturday. I'm looking forward to it! There are some serious RC warbirds enthusiasts in this part of the country! Who would have guessed? I sure knew nothing about the scene before I moved from Iowa to Oklahoma earlier this summer.

Did you go to the Indiana Warbird Campaign this year? Great event... only drawback to being in OK... pretty far from Owatonna, Fond du Lac, and IWC... some of the best events in the country!

Still keep in touch with J. Fassino? Does he still run Moki's?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to hear from you Noah. Did you get a new research assignment? I have not heard from Jim in a long time so I do not know if he is still flying the beast. I did not attend any meets but I will this weekend down near Louisville. I spent a bit of time in Germany this summer which limited the meets I could attend.

My experience with Moki's being run before and after installing the turbulator demonstrated much greater smoothness and improved throttle transition. The cylinder temps evened out greatly to within 10 degrees F of each other. Detlef is a wise man with high standards. His invention is worthwhile. -Tom
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
jetpropdlx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetpropdlx

Sent a e-mail to airworld this morning but had no reaction (maybe they are closed on monday)
maybe try to call them tomorrow.

ps is the ignition from a 250 the same as the 215 ??
I called Airworld this morning , a loaner/exchange ignitionbox is on its way to Belgium
Should be just in time for the last and one of the biggest Meeting here in Belgium.
SUPER Service!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
jetpropdlx

Today i recieved a replacement/loaner ignitionbox
Attached to engine and started : Moki is running as before
THANKS AIRWORLD for this great service !!!!!!!!!
Now i don't have to miss the last meeting of the season
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sent a e-mail to airworld this morning but had no reaction (maybe they are closed on monday)
maybe try to call them tomorrow.

ps is the ignition from a 250 the same as the 215 ??
I called Airworld this morning , a loaner/exchange ignitionbox is on its way to Belgium
Should be just in time for the last and one of the biggest Meeting here in Belgium.
SUPER Service!!!

Eric,
glad to hear that.
BTW Not a bad telephone diagnosis -
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
jetpropdlx

Yes, indeed
THANKS to you and Mick and of course Hans-dieter
I was able to fix this problem within a week.

Thank you all

Greets. Eric
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
mick15

Pleasure Eric, it's good to hear my old engine is back up to full health!

m
Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Planning to run a fuel pump ,so I installed a gearbox breather/filter in place of the Festo tube
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36981.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1799368  
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 AM
oy4310

Very nice Where do you get the gear house filter?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 AM
turbine guy

Got it from a local auto parts store- its a fuel filter for an American Quadrajet carburetor
Just used some Hysol to attach over the Festo fitting
Jake
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM
mick15

I'm sorry but I don't see the point in that.

m
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM
turbine guy

The gearbox should be vented to prevent moisture buildup .
Only clean air should be entering it -hence the filter

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM
mick15

Ok, I hadn’t appreciated you had removed the piston and rod.

m
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
mitchrep

Detlef,

Did you ever receive the new ignition for your Moki 180? If you have how does it perform? I just purchaseda 180from Goetz Vogelsang, and he is trying to get themfrom the company. He said they are very slow with their paperwork handling. I assume they will be the same as for the 150?

Thanks,

Pete Mitchum
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Detlef Kunkel

ORIGINAL: mitchrep

Detlef,

Did you ever receive the new ignition for your Moki 180? If you have how does it perform? I just purchaseda 180from Goetz Vogelsang, and he is trying to get themfrom the company. He said they are very slow with their paperwork handling. I assume they will be the same as for the 150?

Thanks,

Pete Mitchum

Pete,
not yet. There is ONE customer, a friend of mine, flying the ignition on a 150 engine inhis Corsair, and one on a 215 that we want to try in my neighbours Zero. We did test runs, but still working on that one (sorry no flight yet).
I guess it will take some more time. If you like I will report when I get mine .
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM
mitchrep

Detlef,

That would be great. It looks like Rainbow-tronic is having some difficulty in getting their product out for the market. I know a lot of us Moki owners would sure be happy to get our hands on their ignition systems.

Pete
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Pete,
Difficulty.. I dont know if thats the right description. Its a small company with the disadvantage of a small capacity for development and production at the same time, but - and I see this as a big advantage- the guys understand whats it about. I myself prefer to wait a bit longer and then have a state of the art product.

I dont know if you know about my own engine project. I have talked with Rainbow tronic for more than 1,5 years until the first ignition for my own engine was readily developed and made. I have it in my hands for 4 or 5 weeks now, and I am very positive about that one and its features
First test run is planned for Octobre or beginning ofNovember

ORIGINAL: mitchrep

Detlef,

That would be great. It looks like Rainbow-tronic is having some difficulty in getting their product out for the market. I know a lot of us Moki owners would sure be happy to get our hands on their ignition systems.

Pete
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
mitchrep

Sorry...Ishouldn't have beenso negative. We Americans are spoiled with our instant gratification attitude. You are correct with their advantage of being a small company. I've seen the video of their product and it looks very promising, and I am very exicited about their development of it.

I have read all 88 pages of this thread about three times.To me these Moki radials are sort of like owning a sports car. You have to not mindcaring for or maintaining them to be able to enjoy the wonderful sound and asthetics they possess. It appears to me that two problems seem to be more common that others with the Mokis.

1. The clear vacuumline from standard pulse generator becoming clogged with grease causing the carburetor to malfunction.

2. Electrical shorts in the ignition systems causing misfiring or the lack of firing in one or more of the cylinders. It seems #3 cylinderis the favorite for this to happen to.

I have read that several people have gotten very frustrated attempting to diagnose problems, and ultimately ran it down to either a faulty coil, or faulty ignition box. In my humble opinion Moki should be working with Rainbow-tronics to remedy this problem with the stock ignition system they currently supply with their radial engines. I am not an expert in electronics, but I do know in general that electronic circuits do not fare well in high heat (inside the middle of the engine where the coils are located, or in the cowl where the engine exhausts are located) or withvibration (anywhere near the engine or where it attaches to the firewall). I think part of the success of the Rainbow-tronic ignition systems is due to the coils and theignition boxbeing separated away from the immediate vicinity of the engine. As a matter of fact the wire going to the ignition box is relatively short, and won't really allow installation very far from the engine. Most of the planes these engines are mounted to are farely large planes. If the coils and ignition boxwere able to be mount behind the firewall in the front of the fuselage, I feel it would perhaps keep some of the coils/ignition problems to a minimum.

Relating to the infamous #3 cylinder fouling and running cooler thanthe #1, etc. I have done some research and actually spoken to some pilots, and mechanics from the WWII era about the F4U Corsairs alot of us endear. These individuals told me that if a radial engine was not cranked for several hours, they would have to put a big oil pan under the lower cylinders, pull the spark plugs, and walk the prop around several turns to get all the oil out of the cylinders before they could attempt to crank it. When they did get it cranked it would blow oil, carbon deposits, etc. all over everything. With this in mind I imagine something similar is happening to these model engines. They are of course not exact replicasof the fullsize radials, but do have alot in common with them. If the fuel mixtureeither drains into the #3cylinder, or #3 gets more fuelfeed to it than the uppercylinders,it will lead to the same effect.

Just some of my thoughtson these wonderful Mokis.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
heinzulrich

That is a very interesting conclusion, also exsplains why those perticular plugs are wet. Since I have installed a fuel pump and litteraly twikt my carburator I have noticed that those problems seemed to have improved considerably. My engine runs with a lot more athority then it has before. I also replaced a coil for #4.
Heinz
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
mitchrep

Heinz,

My personal opinion is the pusle generator is marginal at best, and the external pump is the way to go. Although many on this forum have never had any problems with it, and don't use the external pump. Whatever works for each individual.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Concur with above - replaced the #4 coil on a 250 even before the engine was mounted and flown on the plane.
These sensitive componets are expected to survive in temps that reach 200F and subject to intense vibration ??????

Jaketab
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56517.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1800521  
Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
AFK

Any  in-put on the new Rainboe-Tronics ignition for the Moki? It is made in Germany .
   Tony K 
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

This weekend I believe I found out why my 215 would not take more than 1/2 throttle. I had suspected air leaks but could not find a problem. I had been able to fly at what semed like full power but limited the stick travel. Long story short....after much head scratching and two deadsticks (new carb too) I found a partially clogged inline fuel filter between the pump and carb. I had experienced the carb inlet filter clogging last season with some kind of powdery substance so I installed an inline screen. Well the substance cloggd the inline filter enough to hinder fuel flow at anything over 1/2 throttle!! I filter my fuel carefully and have an inline filter BEFORE the electric pump too (it was clean). I believe the pump itself is creating tiny particles that enter the fuel sytem. Has anyone else ever notice this. Maybe my pump is wearing out????
I'm going to install a high capacity filter downstream from the pump to the carb and check it weekly. Mitch
Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 AM
john v.

hi! i would like to ask some information about RC Airplane''Waco 40%'' with 250 cc MOKI RADIAL 4 Stroke..Its my first kit that i make for more than a year now.And i need some help..thanks..! c'',)
1)What kind of Oil can i use as alternative..?
2)In the manual, the prop size was 32X18..But the hobby shop recommended 32X12..Is it necessary to use this size than 32X18..?
3)What was the correct throw settings for the elevator,aileron and rudder in degrees..?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: john v.

hi! i would like to ask some information about RC Airplane''Waco 40%'' with 250 cc MOKI RADIAL 4 Stroke..Its my first kit that i make for more than a year now.And i need some help..thanks..! c'',)
1)What kind of Oil can i use as alternative..?
2)In the manual, the prop size was 32X18..But the hobby shop recommended 32X12..Is it necessary to use this size than 32X18..?
3)What was the correct throw settings for the elevator,aileron and rudder in degrees..?

...regarding 32x12 prop, I think this is too little pitch for any aircraft. You will not gain any forward speed and the the engine will over rev. Go for a 34x14 or 16. (on this model)

/Straightleg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.