Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

If anyone is looking for a Moki 150 radial, mine is for sale on RCU classifieds £1,600. Includes exhaust extensions & recommended electric fuel pump.
Bought new March this year from Heilemann Sternmotor Germany. Only 2 to 3 hours running time.
is this Moki still for sale? how much in USD? thanks for the info-Steve
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: docgboy

I have a question about crashed engines. I have a Moki 250 that was in a crash were the plane went straight in on the nose at high speed. The two lower cylinders cracked and collector ring broke and many rods bent or gone

Is it worth fixing or is it trash. Has this happened to anyone,I'm sure it has, that went ahead and had it repaired. What was the cost.

Scott
I bought a crashed 250 once to see how these engines were designed. I am looking at selling for $250.00; the cost I have in it. This may save you some repair cost. I can say, when I looked into it, parts can add up quick.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
heinzulrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smoke pumps? I'm getting my AMR 40% Waco ready, engine is Moki 400. What do you fellas recommend for a smoke pump. Perhaps I should ask, who has a smoke pump on their 400 ??? and how's it working for you???

Heinz
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
brazan
My Feedback: (2)

Any one have any feed back on the Rainbow-tronic ignition ?
Doing the annual on my 150 and thought it might be a good time to do the swap if it seem to help keep the #3 cylinder lit .
Thanks
Josh
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 AM
kipuetz

Hi brazan,have had rainbow-tronics ignition module for my moki 150 since early December now. It was a straight forward order ,a fairly long wait ,but "Uwe" was in the middle of working on the the latest software versionfor it.First impression: very well made, excellent quality at a very reasonable price.Installing took about one hour or so. It involved removing the original ignition ,working out the placement of the new one.The only drawback for my stallation,1/4 FW190,was the weight!The rainbow-tr.is a whole 4 ounces {100gr.}heavier then the original one, a problem for some but not for others.Starting it was a surprise!Priming plus" one more flip" started things rolling.To me it was immediately apparent that the engine ran with a lot more authority ,the same carb settings produced 100 RPM more.Checking a spark visually confirmed to be much "firmer " firing .Suggestion: If you thinking about getting one , DO SO ,You WILL NOT REGRET IT!About nr. 3 not lighting properly. The latest thinking is, play around with mixture settings.Perhaps 35/1 oil mix is worth a try.Let us Know how you go!Regards, Karl-Heinz..
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM
docgboy

I have some used parts from a crashed moki 250 that are for sale.
4 upper cylinder case with valves and rockers- $80 per
1- carburator $50
1 rear housing with coil pack- needs one spark plug cap replaced- $400
1- ignition $350

I also have crankcase and crank with pistons. Some rods and pistons damaged and need replacement. $400

Send me an e-mail [email protected] if interested. I know there is a risk, but these prices minimize it. Maybe someone out there can benefit
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have one f the new ignitions and first impression is that it is keeping number 3 lit. I've not gotten the hang of the one flip starting but once started once repeat startings are easy. If someone has a recommended starting procedure I'm all ears. I'm probably not priming enough? 

I sold off my older ignition module (to 9 o 9) but have the coil pack and spark plug leads for sale here on RCU.

Whit
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM
slskn

Can you use electric starters on these engines ? Or no?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM
docgboy

I have seen it done many times. It usually takes a 24 volt starter to turn it over.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
brazan
My Feedback: (2)

Karl-Heinz

Is the rainbow- tronic  4 oz heavier than the original counting the coil packs from the original?
Thanks
Josh
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
kipuetz

Hi Josh,yes, the weight includes the coils, but not switches or other devices .One more thing, for me one of the more important aspects is, the Rainbow-tronic runs from 10 volts down to6 volts. a fully loaded 2 cell li-po with 8.4 volt is just the ticket!No more voltage regulators!!!!Regards, Karl-Heinz.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 PM
kipuetz

Hi Josh,yes, the weight includes the coils, but not switches or other devices .One more thing, for me one of the more important aspects is, the Rainbow-tronic runs from 10 volts down to6 volts. a fully loaded 2 cell li-po with 8.4 volt is just the ticket!No more voltage regulators!!!!Regards, Karl-Heinz.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 AM
wphilb

I spoke to Vogelsang about that (using 2 cell A123, and they were concerned that at the lower voltage you are not really getting anything from the new ignition. They recommeded a 3 cell A123 which is what I am running. I am only in the testing stage on the ground but so far it's dealing with the Moki 150's tendancy to drop out #3 cylinder.

NoBS batteries has 3 cell A123 packs as a stock item for the Jet community so I just got one of those. I am not using a regulator and I'm charging using a balance coonector on the pack. If you want to use a fuel pump from the same source you would need a regulator. I run separate packs for the radio so no regulator needed there.

Whit

ORIGINAL: kipuetz

Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 AM
wingstrut

I hope they lower the price of that new ignition, $568.00 is a bit much for $60.00 worth of materials. I know, testing, research costs a lot.

I still blame the Moki factory for not taking care of these problems for their customers, they obviously are selling an engine that has major problems for a premium price and customers and other people have to come up with a way to correct the flaws in the design at a greatly added expense..............Fuel pump, electronic ignition, turbulator etc.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I love my Moki Radial, but factory support sucks, it's like, you bought the engine now it's your problem.

If you bought an OS or DLE or any other engine you would not have these problems and if you did, the company would take care of it.
I just get tired of pumping money in this thing to get it to operate like it is supposed to in the first place.

Is there anyone out there not having to use these add on's to have successful engine runs and not worry if the engine is going to run through the whole flight.?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM
AFK

Just recieved my Tronics igbition from Vogelsang. What voltage and mah are you guys using? Looks like about 11.1 volts is o.k.
Tony K.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
oy4310

I totally agree. an engine in the price range to work perfectly from start.it is strange that there is only one dealer in the world (Vogelsang) who tries to get in touch with clients to inform and contribute to solutions to problems associated with the product = engine

ORIGINAL: wingstrut

I hope they lower the price of that new ignition, $568.00 is a bit much for $60.00 worth of materials. I know, testing, research costs a lot.

I still blame the Moki factory for not taking care of these problems for their customers, they obviously are selling an engine that has major problems for a premium price and customers and other people have to come up with a way to correct the flaws in the design at a greatly added expense..............Fuel pump, electronic ignition, turbulator etc.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I love my Moki Radial, but factory support sucks, it's like, you bought the engine now it's your problem.

If you bought an OS or DLE or any other engine you would not have these problems and if you did, the company would take care of it.
I just get tired of pumping money in this thing to get it to operate like it is supposed to in the first place.

Is there anyone out there not having to use these add on's to have successful engine runs and not worry if the engine is going to run through the whole flight.?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
wphilb

First, Amen on the having to spend like $800 to get a $3500 engine to run right, shame on Moki! On the other hand, right now they are selling every one they can make so no pressure on them to fix problems. My hope is that the other radial engines coming in from Horizon will put pressure on Moki to wake up and evolve into a company that understands customer service.

Second, I run a 3 cell A123 on the new ignition and it's working fine, was advised on to use a 2 cell as not enough voltage.

Lastly, +1 on Vogelsang, Dr Gotz has the right attitude and intelligence. He is well versed with these engines and is trying hard to help novices like myself.

Whit

ORIGINAL: AFK

Just recieved my Tronics igbition from Vogelsang. What voltage and mah are you guys using? Looks like about 11.1 volts is o.k.
Tony K.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
wingstrut

I agree, Dr Gotz has gone the extra mile to help, which I commend him for, I am in no way referring to him, he is a great guy.

My engine cost $4200.00 my kit cost $2000.00, now add another $1500.00 to finish it................HEY! I could have bought a jet ...............Ha!Ha!

I used my early retirement bonus to purchase my dream, A radial in a Waco YMF-5.
Now I am having a difficult time with having to spend the funds for the extra engine stuff.

I know that this site is used for helping others, and I do that as much as I can, and I am not trying to degrade Moki, I think mechanically they have the best radial out there.
I just wish the factory would help us out a little on the defects.

I feel better now..................Ron ..........Round engines forever,,,,,,,,,and I don't mean turbines.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
heinzulrich

I'm in total agreement with you, I love these engines but they could certainly improve their costomer service. I got three of these engines and I'm certain some of you fellas have more, It is time that the manufacturer starts resolving some of these issues. And for those that have these engines give them a deal on replacing some of these defective parst (ignition problems mainly).
As for Dr. Goetz, thanks for all your help I'm sure we all apprecaite it.
Heinz Pantel
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM
kipuetz

AFK,I have received information about operating voltage from Uwe Semmler ,the maker of rainbow-tronics,he says, up to10 volts is what the unit is designed for. I'm sure it will handel more,but how long for is the big question!Myself, I do as he suggested and run a 2 cell LI Po of 2700 Ma. capacity , the draw at full revs is about 750ma.So far so good!Karl-Heinz.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
kipuetz

AFK,I have received information about operating voltage from Uwe Semmler ,the maker of rainbow-tronics,he says, up to10 volts is what the unit is designed for. I'm sure it will handel more,but how long for is the big question!Myself, I do as he suggested and run a 2 cell LI Po of 2700 Ma. capacity , the draw at full revs is about 750ma.So far so good!Karl-Heinz.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
wphilb

To each their own and what works for you, works for you! I'm not a EE by any means.

All I can say is that the unit is clearly marked with "designed for 3LiFePo cells (9,9v)" and that the instruction manual (translated into english by Dr Gotz) states "that you can connect a 3 cell LiFE (9.9V nominal) or 3 cell Lipo (11.1 v nominal )" and "should the voltage drop below 9.9 volts in flight it will produce a misfire on purpose" and " the igniton will cease to function below 8 volts."

That would seem to me to rule out a 2 cell A123?

Whit
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
wingstrut

Good point Whitt, and good to know
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 AM
slskn

I have 2 Beila props for the moki 150 would sell if anyone is interested, one is 23x14 4 blade, and the other is 24x10 4 blade, both props have not been in the air or drilled out, only tested for RPM on my 9 cyl. Evolution radial engine, found out it is too much prop for that engine, will sell for $75.00 ea. or $140.00 for both, they sell for $110.00 or so ea. else where, just am not going to use these props, just email me [email protected] or call 810 247 0676 for any questions thanks-Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM
smackay

Hi
Would you sell the moki and ship to danbury CT? I need some spares!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.