Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 PM
JK13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnVH
Great job John!

Awesome sound

Thanks for posting!

Joe
Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take off of second flight.

https://youtu.be/tkKXTlXDgPY
Old 10-17-2015, 05:30 AM
GEEBEER3FLYER

Originally Posted by Remaking
Been around and heard a couple of EVO 260's and they just don't have the sound, power or impact the Moki has. They also don't make the smoke the Moki does as the collector doesn't get as hot. Plus Horizon is constantly out of stock on them, almost 9 months the last time.
Also, at the next RC show walk into the Horizon booth and ask anyone a question about the engine and watch the blank stares. 9 people in the booth and none of them know a thing about the engine.
Interesting as i have got couple of each and think the evo is the far better engine so far, ive just got my 400 back from Germany after getting a duff one that wouldnt start at all, anyway, this one started first flick, but theres a but....

Im familiar with big engines, Moki 250 and evo 260 ( imho, the evo looks, sounds, works better and has more power) and hence am familiar with drilling props properly balancing etc etc, when i started the 400 today( this one has a 40x18 Biela , white front, black back on it) it seemed to have a hell of a lot of vibration at 1/5-1/3 throttle( i didnt take it any higher because of this) , i checked the prop for balance and even run out at the tips but its bob on but LOOKED like it was off( at the centre) the centre bolt ran true on the engine, the black and white demarcation line around the middle of the prop makes it difficult to see if theres an issue with the centre of the prop but im convinced the prop itself is ok as i jigged and pillar drilled it myself.

Is the 400 notoriously 'lumpy' at these throttle settings, ? I can try a different prop but its a 10 day wait and another 130 quid and im sure its ok, might just be me being over sensitive/cautious but dont want to shear any bolts or spit the prop if theres an issue( moki/aiwrorld customer service is, if im being kind, crap)

Any advice appreciated, i love the big engines but this 400 has been nothin but grief so far
Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Default New Day for Moki Parts Availability

Good news from Dr. Goetz Vogelsang ([email protected], 919-533-6275),

After 6 years of agonizing over the Moki parts distribution process Goetz has finally won a major battle by ELIMINATING the lengthy delays involved with having to go through a Moki "distributor" in Germany. Goetz now maintains his own parts listing and pricing and he will get parts to customers from his stock or if need be, direct from the factory. He stresses that the factory was never the delay, between Vogelsang Aeroscale and the Moki factory, parts issues will be resolved rapidly.

Also, please remember Vogelsang Aeroscale has the US service center in place of Moki, Kolm and Valach engines.

And there was much rejoicing...

Last edited by Growler84; 10-19-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Remaking
My Feedback: (15)

I concur. Been going around recently with the parts needed on my 250 that ate itself. Recently posted the parts list and pricing on the forum also. Yesterday Gota sent me a similar message:

Hello Jamie

It was very different from what the forum says. Getting parts was NOT the issue, getting their office to send us the quotes themselves was the problem. For over 14 weeks I could not get them to answer more than 30% of our requests. And I tried it all, calls, emails …you name it.

Hence I worked hard on establishing my own pricelist, which enables us to create quotes on the fly and then simply order from the factory direct. Excluding their front office. Please, you can absolutely share this with the forums as I would love for people to know that we have a) the parts situation fully resolved and b) service USA with Julian Mashburn (Moki, Kolm, Valach)

Thank you and best regards,

Dr. Götz Vogelsang
Vogelsang Aeroscale

Sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Parts order went in this week. I will keep you posted on status.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:36 AM
jbaldwin

I too would like add my thanks to Dr. Gotz and Julian Mashburn. After seven months Julian was able to get a quote for the parts I need
for my Moki 150 in a very short time. Julian has order the parts and they should be here within the next three to four weeks. I highly recommend both of those guys when you need Moki parts!

Jim

Last edited by jbaldwin; 10-23-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 PM
LRFitch

Guys, I have an old MOKI 215 and am about to start it up for my first time. The engine was rebuilt completely by Mike Dooley just before he moved to Troy Built and I bought it. As you can guess, I've had the engine in it's shipping box for several years, and have never used it. Well, that needs to change--soon. Mike recommended I start the engine with a 32 X 12 two blade for the first few tanks of gas. In reading this thread, I think that may be way too little prop. I read that max RPM on the ground should be about 3400rpm, and I need something more like a 34 X 18 or 36 X 20 three bladed prop. Am I missing something? The MOKI will power a 41% Pitts Model 12 biplane that I am currently working on. I will likely start the engine on a test stand to make sure I get it setup and tuned properly before putting it in the airplane. This is not to "breakin" the engine, but to in fact test it, as I have no experience with a radial engine. I'm not sure how best to set it up for the airplane, as I see as many people saying both "yes" and "no" about using a fuel pump. If anyone would venture how best to setup this engine so I end up with a reliable and fun engine experience, I'd really appreciate the help/advice.

Larry Fitch
West Richland, WA 99353
Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 PM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Larry, having been a 215user for more than fifteen years here is my experience.

I recommend a Menz 34x12 for that engine I that model, 32:1 oil mix was recommended but I would limit this to only a few early runs. A good quality synthetic oil at 50:1 is what you should use. (this helps prevent exhaust valve stem carbon build up)

I highly recommend a fuel pump for these early engines as the pulse generator system was a constant source of problems (the first runs of mine in twenty flights I had eighteen dead stick landings!)

All the early engines had brass cam ring idler gears which wear out rather quickly. The factory did replace these gears for steel FOC. Also you should not run the early lifters if they are fitted with the ball end, they destroy the cam ring.

m
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM
LRFitch

Mick, Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input. What voltage do you recommend for the ignition (5.0, 5.5, 5.9 vdc)?

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Remaking

Originally Posted by LRFitch
Mick, Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input. What voltage do you recommend for the ignition (5.0, 5.5, 5.9 vdc)?

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
By far the best option for the ignition is to use a Relion 2-cell Li-ion 5400mh, and put a 5.9v Reg after it for the Black Hat ignition box, and run straight for the Bue box. You can also run your fuel pump, smoke pump, etc from it, and fly all day.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Powerbox Systems Sparkswitch (5.9v) for me.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:08 AM
Pelle Gris

What he said (post above that is).
I run a 2S A123 pack into the Sparkswitch which then feeds both ignition and fuel pump. That way I can turn on/off both items from the TX.

I bought mine from Heilemann Sternmotoren in Germany and apparently they sell a modified version as it says 5,5V on the packaging. I guess the lower than standard voltage is because the ignition is rather sensitive to excessive voltage as far as I know.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:30 AM
marksp

+1 for http://www.heilemann-sternmotoren.de/en/

Lot's of nice goodies for Moki's
Old 10-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Remaking

Originally Posted by Remaking
By far the best option for the ignition is to use a Relion 2-cell Li-ion 5400mh, and put a 5.9v Reg after it for the Black Hat ignition box, and run straight for the Bue box. You can also run your fuel pump, smoke pump, etc from it, and fly all day.
My mistake, I run a 5.5 Reg.. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 PM
ge3740

wingstrut
i have been using marine oil from the mercury store for 4 yeats in a da 100l cc engine, clean as brand new, my throttle is hooked to the land gear and it is fixed with no trouble at aa. these engines were bought new...
my 2 cents worth.. keep flying, i am in n.c.
A. B.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 PM
LRFitch

I see that some of you prefer RedLine oil, over Amsoil. When I google Redline, I come up with about six different two-stroke oils to chose between. Which is the one to use (Racing, Snowmobile, Watercraft injection, All sport, or Kart)?

Larry Fitch
Old 11-01-2015, 12:49 PM
marksp

Redline Synthetic Two Stroke Racing
Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
Redline Synthetic Two Stroke Racing

+++1
Old 11-05-2015, 05:40 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Has anyone used Ray English to upgrade the Moki 250, I understand his upgraded ignition make for a great improvement.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:33 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I would like to purchase a Moki 180 for my Petrausch 1:4.5 FW-190. Obviously reading this thread is a big put off due to all the problems experienced by owners. But it is often this way on the internet. Ultimately, for those who have had some success, is it worth the hassles to fly Moki? I would certainly take great care in the set up and running of the engine and probably enjoy that. But I doubt I would be happy in the long run if every flight had a big chance of failure followed by an endless wait and expense for parts. I could drop a DLE111 in there and be done with it but the Moki is a show stopper! I would be using a 180 in the butcher bird. Is the new engine an improvement over the old 150? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 AM
jbaldwin

Getting parts is a BIG problem. The story is long. Feel free to call me and I will be happy to share my story with you. 940-781-1056

Jim
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Growler84
Good news from Dr. Goetz Vogelsang ([email protected], 919-533-6275),

After 6 years of agonizing over the Moki parts distribution process Goetz has finally won a major battle by ELIMINATING the lengthy delays involved with having to go through a Moki "distributor" in Germany. Goetz now maintains his own parts listing and pricing and he will get parts to customers from his stock or if need be, direct from the factory. He stresses that the factory was never the delay, between Vogelsang Aeroscale and the Moki factory, parts issues will be resolved rapidly.

Also, please remember Vogelsang Aeroscale has the US service center in place of Moki, Kolm and Valach engines.

And there was much rejoicing...
Reposting.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM
GeorgiaFlyer

Originally Posted by husafreak
I would like to purchase a Moki 180 for my Petrausch 1:4.5 FW-190. Obviously reading this thread is a big put off due to all the problems experienced by owners. But it is often this way on the internet. Ultimately, for those who have had some success, is it worth the hassles to fly Moki? I would certainly take great care in the set up and running of the engine and probably enjoy that. But I doubt I would be happy in the long run if every flight had a big chance of failure followed by an endless wait and expense for parts. I could drop a DLE111 in there and be done with it but the Moki is a show stopper! I would be using a 180 in the butcher bird. Is the new engine an improvement over the old 150? Thanks.
I have a Moki 180 and runs good with no issue once I put the fuel pump on it. The 180 also came with the blue ignition box that is a improvement over the old top hat style that older Moki came with. You do have to maintain these motors, paying more attention than you would the boxer style engines such as the DLE or DA. Those you can pretty much put gas and run over and over for years. These Moki engines require inspection every flight and adjusting about every 5th. But if well maintained they too will last and provide years of reliable service.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:17 AM
marksp

Originally Posted by husafreak
I would like to purchase a Moki 180 for my Petrausch 1:4.5 FW-190. Obviously reading this thread is a big put off due to all the problems experienced by owners. But it is often this way on the internet. Ultimately, for those who have had some success, is it worth the hassles to fly Moki?
None of my fly buddies with Moki's post in this thread. They simply fly, grin, maintain...repeat. No issues.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:21 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.