Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which retract for BRIAN TAYLOR P-51 69"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Which retract for BRIAN TAYLOR P-51 69"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
nicov1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which retract for BRIAN TAYLOR P-51 69"

Dear All,

I'm building a Brian Taylor P-51D 69".
I'd like to equip it with a scale retract; what would be a good scale retract for this plane? I already found the centuryjet one and the Unitracts one, which one of these would be the best?
Do you know other manufacturers that would likely propose good retracts for this plane?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nicolas
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Which retract for BRIAN TAYLOR P-51 69

You might send an email to Sean McHale at strictlyscale.com. He has built two of the 69" Taylor Mustangs and I'm sure would be happy to answer your questions. Good luck with it!

http://www.strictlyscale.com/Strictl.../P51Build.html
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sierra could do custom work for you. The gear that he makes stock is 1/6th, 1/5th and 1/4...

Shindin Machine also does them...
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 PM
SCALECRAFT

Hi All

I have this top quality scale rendition of the P-51D.. I have the Unitracts .

The Unitracts are one of the best choices for this model for the following reasons. The Unitracts were made for this specific model. The unitracts are ultra low profile to fit in the scale laminar wing (thin LE section) and to place the strut way forward, as in scale. The only thing I would suggest if you go with the Unitracts is to support the end of the retract rotating shaft with the leading edge. If you get the Unitracts , you'll see what I mean.

Of course with some additional work/modification, one can make any almost any retract work as well.

Steve
Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 AM
nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your answers!

Scalecraft, I was in contact with Unitracts and they don't have photos of their retracts for this plane. Do you think you could take a photo or two of your retracts and post them?
Are the struts realistics? I mean, is there the damping system at the bottom end of the strut, and so on?

They explain that the struts have individual speed control, could you tell me how it works? I would like to re-create the scale landing gear sequence, it means that I would like one leg to get down before the other, you know... is it possible with their system?

What did you buy from Unitracts, the two legs with the pneumatic retracts, a valve and so on? Or did you only buy the 2 legs and pneumatic retracts and buy the valve and so on somewhere else?

Did you also buy the tail wheel from Unitracts? Is it scale? Because they say it is a standard tail wheel...
How do you activate it? Because as far as I understood it is not a pneumatic tail wheel...

Thanks guys,

Nicolas
Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 PM
SCALECRAFT

Hi

Ok I will post pics once I find them. (Tmrro night) We have a house expansion going on right now that has shut my shop down. My hardware is in boxes.

The struts are nice shock absorbing type with dampening via a nylon friction set up. The "yolk' is the only part that looks odd. It is square and not rounded as in scale. The shape is right, just not a tube look to it.

The speed of the retracts can be controlled by a valve that has a needle valve type of regulator on it. I do not have this valve.

I do have a system to make my BF 109 LG retract one after the other, but that has a different retract lay out.

Steve
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
SCALECRAFT

Hi: Please bear with me. I can't locate the retracts yet. All is in storage boxes. Still looking.

Steve
Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 AM
hemi

I to am building the BT Mustang here is the landing gear picture I think your looking for. The unitrac landing comes with a metal support plate that gets glues into the leading edge material. This plate provides support for front of the retracts pivot shaft. Mine air air operated and Bob Holman got them for me. They are not cheap by any means but they do put the strut where it needs to be.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your build.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19856.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1288009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52365.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1288010