Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

I am in the same situation as Bonza above, so your answer will apply to both of us. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Barcandson,

My response to Bonza can be found on page 2, post #28. Thanks for your interest in the Hellcat!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Barcandson

This sounds like a terrific way to get started with full building. I will want to put an electric motor on the front, but I have already done successful modifications of gas-powered ARFs, so I can handle that part. I have built 6-pound aircraft with electric, so moving up to 10 shouldn't be too much of a strain. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Chad Veich

I would absolutely love to see one of these built electric Barcandson. In fact, I would like to do an electric one myself if the design proves to be a good flyer. Welcome aboard!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Chad Veich

A quick update to show the additon of the exhaust exits on the bottom of the Hellcat. This is one of those details that is more aesthetic than functional and is certainly not necessary. However, for those that want to add them the vac formed portions will be provided in the kit.

Retract installation was also started today, pics coming in the next day or two. I'm using an older set of Robart 615 retracts which have to be modified to work with a 3/16" wire insert. Newer versions of these gear are already set up for 3/16" wire. I will also be modifying the wing design just a tad so that the Sierra Precision rotating retracts will also work in the Hellcat.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Would the 615's with robostruts work ok? The plane is looking fabulous! We can't wait to see how this turns out (and of course get started on our own...)
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chadwick , whats your take on a set of Rhom rotating retracts ( remember these?) , think they might be made to work? I think mine have the 3/16 wire in them, they have never been used, and have the wire straight out of the landing gear mount waiting to be bent or have an axle installed . The 3/16 wire diameter is a good thing for those "not so good" landings... not that I would ever have known about these kinds of things! LOL[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
And the exhausts vents you posted looks killer!! These add lots to the looks... keep up the TEE- RIFFIC work!

Later buddy,
John
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
cold_reboot

Greatness! Subscribed. Always wanted a Hellcat in the Hangar, hope you make it available to one and all at some point (sooner rather than later). What are the chances we can get you to design a few German birds, severe lack of those around. Move the P40 to the front of the line!, the TF isn't known as a "floater".
Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
Would the 615's with robostruts work ok? The plane is looking fabulous! We can't wait to see how this turns out (and of course get started on our own...)
Sam,
I'm using the 615's and 7/16" diameter struts on my Hellcat but the 3/8" Robostruts would be more than adequate as well assuming they are long enough.

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan
Chadwick , whats your take on a set of Rhom rotating retracts ( remember these?) , think they might be made to work? I think mine have the 3/16 wire in them, they have never been used, and have the wire straight out of the landing gear mount waiting to be bent or have an axle installed . The 3/16 wire diameter is a good thing for those ''not so good'' landings... not that I would ever have known about these kinds of things! LOL[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
And the exhausts vents you posted looks killer!! These add lots to the looks... keep up the TEE- RIFFIC work!
John,
I have a set of the Rhom rotaters somewhere around the shop. I'll dig them out and see how they fit in the Hellcat wing. I used them with great success in a TF Corsair that was about 9.5-10 pounds so they should work just fine in the Hellcat. In fact I used them with the solid wire strut in the Corsair. Adapt a set of functional struts to them and they would be even better. I'll let you know how they fit.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Greatness! Subscribed. Always wanted a Hellcat in the Hangar, hope you make it available to one and all at some point (sooner rather than later). What are the chances we can get you to design a few German birds, severe lack of those around. Move the P40 to the front of the line!, the TF isn't known as a ''floater''.

Welcome aboard cold_reboot. The Hellcat will be available just as soon as I'm satisfied it flies well and won't fall apart! I'm not a big fan of most of the popular German types, ie, 109, 190, Stuka, etc. I could be convinced to do a 190D eventually but more because I think it would be a good seller than because I'm interested in building one myself. I do like some of the more obscure German types but I'm not sure just how popular they would be. The He-112 comes immediately to mind. I've been collecting info on that one here and there with the idea of drawing one up eventually. The P-40B is definitely near the top of my potential candidates list and it is really a matter of "when" more than "if". However, my next offering will almost certainly be my 71" span Ki-61 Tony. I'm already flying a prototype and I am very pleased with the performance. I need to get it detailed and painted but here it is as it sits now.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 AM
p 40

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]if a big compliment CHAD. hello Gianluca
Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM
cold_reboot

I think all three of those German birds would be good sellers as well as a Zero in the 70+ size like your Tony. I know I'd buy a Zero and a 109Emil (if there were one, not modeled near enough) and a Dora. I'd consider the A model as well, the short nose 190 is just as popular.

Not another P51! that thing is so over modeled...I'm tired of seeing it. Everyone with access to Balsa makes a P51 these days!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chad, that P40 B would be ...."the cats meow...."
Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Chad Veich

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here but I wanted to do some beta testing and get some feedback on the web site I'm developing for the group build. If you're interested please have a look around and let me know what you think of the basic layout and if you have or find any problems with the site. If you do have issues please let me know what browser you are using as that can make a difference. I'll tell you right up front I'm no web designer and I'm sure I won't be getting any calls to go to work for anybody as such! Obviously there is still a whole lot of information missing but I would like to get a general consensus on whether the site is workable or if changes are necessary. I have put up the first construction gallery, that for the horizontal stab, to give a glimpse of what to expect for the remainder of the build as well. Any and all input much appreciated!

Just FYI, the "R/C FrameWorks" name is a hold over from a previous kit cutting and custom building service that I operated when I was in college. I like the name and couldn't think of anything better so that is what I'm going with. I will more than likely develop a new web site for all things R/C FrameWorks related so that I don't have to piggy back off of my cwvmodels.com domain. That means the URL for the Hellcat build site will probably change before it gets "officially" launched so don't bother to bookmark it just yet.

www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com
Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Chad, that P40 B would be ....''the cats meow....''
It's coming!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

that would be excellent Chad....a real flying tiger......
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chad,
The site looks nice, and the prices that Pat and Ray offer are good. Any chance a place like Lonestar would put together a wood pak or have your wood list on hand so we would not have to order sheet by sheet and stick by stick?
Sam
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Wizard61
My Feedback: (7)

Chad,

I think the website looks great! I had no problems navigating all of it. I can't wait to hear and hopefully see how the prototype does in the air. I have dusted off the old planes and have flown quite a bit during the last week. I took on teaching one of my neighbors to fly. It was almost like riding a bicycle. I am ready.

James
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Flakbait

Chad,

The website looks great! It's good to see the "Iron Works" bird is coming along.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98817.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1270450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46143.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1270451  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went back and changed some of the text just slightly to make it a bit easier on the eyes, not quite so bold. I also noticed that there were two #10 steps in the stab construction gallery! I fixed that and also a dead link I found for the "Tips and Tricks" page.

Sam,
I have not yet spoken with any of the balsa suppliers but I plan to. If any of them are willing to sponsor the group build maybe I can just order the wood myself and provide it in the kit for those that want to go that route. It would be nice to be able to get the majority of what you need from one source. If not, then like you suggested, maybe they will put together a wood package for the Hellcat to make ordering as simple as possible.

Last but not least I also have spoken to a guy who offers functional struts, ala Robart, about sponsoring the build as well. He seemed interested and might give us a deal if we order a dozen sets or so. I will be using a set on my Hellcat and have them on my Tony as seen above. They have functioned just fine on the Tony thus far and are about 60% the price of the Robart equivalent without any discount.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
figure9
My Feedback: (17)

SUBSCRIBE! Looks like a great project as I have looking to build a Hellcat!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad,

Just curious if you think the wing from your Hellcat could be mated with a taylor fiberglass fuse from his 65" Hellcat?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: figure9
SUBSCRIBE! Looks like a great project as I have looking to build a Hellcat!
Thanks figure9 and welcome to the thread.

ORIGINAL: c550
Chad,

Just curious if you think the wing from your Hellcat could be mated with a taylor fiberglass fuse from his 65'' Hellcat?
It is possible that it might. Both airplanes are identical in size and I'm using the scale airfoil which, I would bet, Taylor used also. Even if there was some slight difference in the airfoils it would probably be easy to modify the fuse due to the fact that the Hellcat has no fillets.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Chad Veich

Chadwick , whats your take on a set of Rhom rotating retracts ( remember these?) , think they might be made to work?
John,

I dug out my Rhom rotaters to see how they looked and they would be a drop in fit. The only thing that might be an issue is the fact that they only swing through 90 degrees of retraction whereas the Robarts are 100 degrees. With only 90 degrees I'm not sure if you could get the main wheels raked far enough forward and still get them all the way into the wheel wells when retracted. I don't know for sure that it wouldn't work either but it could be an issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for taking time to measure it Chad, its appreciated [sm=thumbup.gif]
JMc

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Chadwick , whats your take on a set of Rhom rotating retracts ( remember these?) , think they might be made to work?
John,

I dug out my Rhom rotaters to see how they looked and they would be a drop in fit. The only thing that might be an issue is the fact that they only swing through 90 degrees of retraction whereas the Robarts are 100 degrees. With only 90 degrees I'm not sure if you could get the main wheels raked far enough forward and still get them all the way into the wheel wells when retracted. I don't know for sure that it wouldn't work either but it could be an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.