Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

new cmp spitfire - man cmp is getting good

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

new cmp spitfire - man cmp is getting good

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new cmp spitfire - man cmp is getting good

Anyone see that there is a new cmp spitfire. Its looks decently scale like the new me109, I think this might be another must have.
http://www.cmpairplane.com/warbird/S...50%20Size.html

Its kind of small, only 53 inch wingspan. I wonder if I could squeeze my os91fs in their without making it to heavy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35166.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1251902  
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
mike early

Default RE: new cmp spitfire - man cmp is getting good

If it's too heavy, get a Saito .91 for it.
This is a good plane to transport in a Mustang.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh give me strength, [:@]

err, i mean, yes, very errpretty, and so scale too
Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

ahhh come on Alanc , its not bad and you know its going to blow the doors off in cost and value ,
so what are you up to these days , are you selling for ESM still ?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
sir crashallot

im no fan of arfs but that has to be the best looking arf spit iv seen[X(] though somthing would have to be done bout its u/c legs
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
jeffk464

I just wish cmp would make 60 sized warbirds, its either 40 or 120, what the heck. 60 sized flies alot better then 40 for basically hardly any extra cost.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

There has been many far worst starts for a great resulting kit bash. It even has some gull wing action going on.
I like it.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 08-08-2009, 06:32 AM
LDM

I have the original 71" CMP Spit , for it times it was one of the best CMP planes . WHile the paint was not scale , it was excellant .
I plane on bashing the tiny stubby flaps to scale split flaps ect .
CMP allows great value and starting points for modelers who enjoy either a "fly as is model " or a good bash
Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Hey guys, I have the 1.20 CMP spit and was wondering who makes a descent retract for it? Had it for 3 years and only flew it twice, both times the fixed gear pulled out. Since then I've sheeting the wing except around the gear bay until I figure out what I'll use. Did any of you have a prob with the manuals CG location? It stated something like 98mm when it was closer to 120mm. Don't know how I saved it but I got 'er down minus the gear.

Thanks Shane
Old 10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
LDM

CJ makes drop in gear for the plane , if you cant find them either ask for Charles , Bruce or pm me and I will get my part number off my box
Tell em Lou sent you !!!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Thanks Lou that will help a bunch. Use the CJ gear in another bird and I like it. Gotta adjust ever so often but for the price it's a winner.

Thanks again,

Shane
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Louis9624

I have a 120 spitfire and after the first flight and I quickly found that the center of gravity must be much forward of the suggested one in the instructions. It flew like there was no horizontal stabilizer. The elevater control would grossly overcompensate. I wasn't able to land it because it ran out of gas and crashed into a patch of tuly bushes. Landing gear a little bent, an easy fix. Ihave mechanicle retracts but I would recomend air retracts I put about 30 hours of work into the retract gear and any other way I think would be better.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Yeah i was thinking the same about mechanical as well, prob go with either CJ's or Springair.

Lou, I found the gear you were referring to, [link]http://centuryjet.com/product_info.php/products_id/347[/link]
Looks like nice gear, just waiting to hear back from Spring Air to see which ones I want. Was looking at their 400 series but not sure that is the right size, like the fact that the oleo attaches directly to the retract though. Decisions, decisions..

Thanks again,
Shane
Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 AM
LDM

Its good to have options , I like the CJ for this particular plane because they were designed in length ect for the model . The struts are attached , no drilling to assemble the gear , I would reinforce the retract bay
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I used springair in mine. Had two of them. Both flew pretty good, but they build out a little heavy. There arent too many cmp arfs that have the right cg listed. You have to figure it out on your own. But, the spitfire was the closest. Sold all my cmp to finance other projects.
Edwin
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you will be happy with CJ's for your 120 Spitfire. This is my Spit with an OS 120 2 stroke. (Fit best in the cowl) I used a JTEC wrap around muffler. The CJ's in my KMP Spit are the prototypes and we spent a lot of time getting them set with all the right angles for this size Spitfire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56132.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1286781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75692.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1286782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84740.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1286783  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Edwin do you have a number for the ones you used? Been waiting to hear back from them but no word yet. Really hoping the 404's will work from Springair.

Shane
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Edwin

Had to go check the shop. I used the 106 with 3/16" wire strut coupled with a 1/2" diameter home made strut. Sort of like the robart strut pin setup. The 404 should work but would take more rework to make it fit. I ripped out the stock mounts and put in my own anyway. They were way too light in construction for everyday use. CMP had lightening holes cut into the wing retract mount ribs.
Edwin
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Cool my retract bay is empty now as well waiting to get the gear. Then I will build it to fit the gear and beef it up as well. It will be nice to get this bird air worthy again. I was to inexperienced to enjoy this plane when I first got it. I had only been flying the P-51 PTS at the time. I had actually put retracts in it as well ,very fun to fly after that. Now I have a few other birds that I fly regularly and am very excited to finally get this on the bench.

Shane
Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Edwin

Pay close attention to stall speed. Practice way up high cause its a nasty surprise. It will warn you, its just real sutle. I used a saito 120 in mine. It wasnt over powered by any means but more like scale speed. Just enough spare power to get you out of a little trouble. A 150 would be perfect. I couldnt get a 180 to run in my CMP zero. I needed about a 24oz fuel tank and it was too high causing too much head pressure, couldnt get past half throttle. I swapped the 24oz tank with a 12oz tank and the 180 would run fine (reduced fuel head pressure). But run time wasnt very long. So, swapped out the 180 for a 120 and it worked fine. Just enough power for decent scale flying. Had to build a led box over the engine in the zero to get it to balance (about 2lbs of led). They are nice planes once trimmed out. Get too nose heavy and its a chore to get a good desent rate when landing. They come down kinda fast and hard. I had two spitfires and a zero.
Edwin
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I was actually going to use the new DLE30cc gas engine. Was originally going to use the RCGF 20cc but this motor is the same weight and size and will swing a nice sacle 4-bladed prop to give it a more scale look. It's a really nice little motor, it's a rear inducted side carb. Hopefully Tower will start carrying them soon. I know it's prob over kill but it will be a good fit.

Shane
Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

I just wish cmp would make 60 sized warbirds, its either 40 or 120, what the heck. 60 sized flies alot better then 40 for basically hardly any extra cost.
I second that thought! It's a nice plane but in a 60 -90 size it would be much more tempting[8D]
Old 10-03-2009, 06:26 AM
LDM

Just for the record , (my opinion [X(]) I think all the original CMP planes had the engine sizes understated .
This is a great example , the 73" P40 showed a suggestion 140 thu 180 range , most guys used a 180 4 stroke , the specs on that plane are not far off at from the Spit that showed a 120 lol .
The spit carried two more servos then the stock non modified 73 " p40 , based on flaps so in reality should be heavier just based on suggested radio gear and when this was designed we did not have the high torque /light weight gear that is available today

The original importer who has exclusive rights to the CMP line was Giant scale planes based on Pa , I dont know why they had the engines suggesed so low , but we had 4 of these spits at our field over the last 12 years , all of them were baby giants and cream puffs to fly when powered with 140 and above engines . Remember I can not speak for the examples in this post , but a 120 4 stroke unless (a YS) will not give you the power to really get out of trouble . I am also not a guy who over powers anything however when you start to tweek these birds to take out some of the factory inherant defects you simply add more weight .
1)fuse typically tin cans when squeezed fix is add fliteskin to inside or a new fuse formers where needed
2)Flaps on the spit , too small , need to be made larger in order to really be effective (and or made scale )
3)the wing area is one of the largest offered by CMP and adds to the ease of flying this plane
4)I never met a CMP plane that you did not need to reinforce the retract bays to take the normal stress of landing
Old 10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

LDM well put.

LDM, in classifying the model size:

IMO

The "size" of the model cannot be determined by the engine . A better method is by the wing span and scale size generally for WWII. Then the modeler can pick among the various power ranges.

Steve
Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Pit-Viper 1

I powered mine with the RCV.91CD, flew ok but needed a little power and I'm not a speed demon either. As far as size its 1/6 scale, full scale has a span of 442". But it doesn't seem like it's that big. As LDM stated the wing design makes this a joy to fly. I got a video of my second flight and will post after I do a little editing. Thought we had the maiden as well but think it got lost.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.