Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF P-47 Thunderbolt .60 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF P-47 Thunderbolt .60 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
BenWillis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-47 Thunderbolt .60 Build

I finaly started the construction on my TF P-47 last night. After inventorying all of the die cut pieces, getting coppies of the plans made (to build from) and deciding which engine to use I was able to sit down and glue some balsa together

Here is my progress thus far. More pictures to come, hopefully I will remember to stop periodically to take more pics.

Ben in SC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89639_23352.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	51934  
Old 06-27-2003, 02:12 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben,
I'll be watching this...I've started one myself. Took a couple evenings to do the stab/elev and fin/rud but looks to be quite straight forward....and a nice change of pace after a number of scratchbuilt project!
What are you using for retracts, power, etc?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Burrito Bandito

Will be very interested in this. I keep going back and forth between this and the Sky Shark Stuka as a Winter build. Please keep us informed.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:18 PM
BenWillis

Glad to see someone interested. I havent seen alot of P-47 buildumentaries posted with the exception of Tivey and his Giant.

I ordered an RCS140 gas engine to go in this one. I had originaly planned to use a saito 120 since I have had good luck with it in my P-51. The problem is those big glows suck up exspensive fuel FAST! So I figured I could be the first at my field to try gas

All the old timers are sure that it wont work out, we shall see. As for retracts I think I will go with Spring Air this time. I have CJ's in my P-51 and although they work well I am a little concerned about their ruggedness. We have a 300 ft paved strip but if you dont hit the ground at the very beginning of the paving you will run of into the grass which is a little rough.

Ben in SC
Old 06-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Burrito Bandito

The retract issue is why I keep going back and forth between the Stuka and the P47. Never done retracts before. Most of the guys at our club (grass field) that have retracts have folding problems. Most are mechanical, so I don't know about Air actuated.....maybe they would be a little more sturdy. There is also a member who flys jets off of our grass runway and for the most part has no problems on take-offs or landings.

Aside from the retracts, I hear great things about the flying characteristics of both planes, so I am torn. Will you be glassing yours or using film covering?

John
Old 06-27-2003, 04:31 PM
BenWillis

John,

My plan is to glass and paint rather than film cover. I also plan to use either the wb method or the Deft method as described on proflooney's site.

Ben
Old 06-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Burrito Bandito

Ben,

I have used the poly method and was pleasantly surprised. Never thought I would glass an airplane because the resin always intimidated me. I heard about the poly method from Warbird Fanatic and thought I would give it a try. WOW, very easy! Next time I will seal the balsa prior to applying the glass (as in Joe's method) because the balsa sucked up so much of the poly, it made the fill of the weave take a little longer.

Not too big a problem though. Word to the wise.....make ABSOLUTELY SURE all imperfections are sanded out. If there is a question, SAND IT. Everything will show I promise. I learned a lot on the test airplane. It's not perfect, but the next one will be.

Keep us all posted on the Jug and don't forget to take pics.

Regards,
John
Old 06-27-2003, 06:18 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TF P-47 Thunderbolt .60 Build

Originally posted by BenWillis
I finaly started the construction on my TF P-47 last night. After inventorying all of the die cut pieces, getting coppies of the plans made (to build from) and deciding which engine to use I was able to sit down and glue some balsa together

Here is my progress thus far. More pictures to come, hopefully I will remember to stop periodically to take more pics.

Ben in SC

hehe.... I started my 15th T/F p-51 buildup lastnight also Hands down drop a YS. 120 or YS 140 in it you wont be sorry! I put YS's in all my warbirds and they really do fly just awesome!....I got a buddie with a T/F Mustang (that I built) that has a OS 91 in it and his mustang wont even hold a knife edge like mine will.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

BenWillis,
I built mine . . . oh about six years ago and still flying fine. Glass, paint, Robart retracts and full cockpit. A SuperTiger .75 with the in cowl muffler flies this bird just fine. The only thing I didn't like was the pound of lead in the nose to cg this thing. The all up weight is 10.5 pounds. Let me know if I can be any help.
Chuck

Name:	89711_4595.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	51935  
Old 06-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Jesstar

Mines going together very well ATM.

A few points in the instructions are not too clear, main point so far for me was mounting the STAB (the contour seemed wrong) and the razor back spine.

Ha, 639
I intend (initially) to run an irvine72, and then move over to a 4s.

I have tried to keep the rear as light as possible without getting over zealous with glue, but it does seem as though ppl need to add allot of ballast to this model.

What was it like to fly with the 75, and what prop did you go with in the end.

Thx

..Jess

Name:	90004_37482.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	51936  
Old 06-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Jesstar

another,

Lower fus, with tailwheel going in.

Name:	90005_37482.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	51937  
Old 06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
BenWillis

Default Update!

I was able to work a little on the build this past weekend. I didnt get as much done as I had hoped to but am pleased with the progress so far.

Since my last post I "almost" completed the stab construction. When it came time to add the balsa blocks to the tip and shape them I decided to skip to the fuse construction and come back to the tail group later.

The fuse goes together really fast!! Once the formers are glued to the main stringers and the upper crutches you string the whole thing and glue the lower sheeting down. At this pint you get ready to join the stab and fin (Doh! I dont have these done )

I started the fin construction and glued my sheeting together. By this time I was ready for sleep and will pick back up on it tonight.

Jesstar:
Can you slow down for a few days and let me catch up You're fast man!!

All: I have posted a small gallery of pictures for your viewing pleasure. I will organize these into an actual website when I get time.

http://www.andersoncountysc.org/MIS/...ild/index.html

Thanks,

Ben in SC
Old 06-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Ham639

BenWillis,
I believe I'm swinging a Master Airscrew 13x6. At first I was worried about the ST .75, but after every engine run it just kept getting better. It flies it just fine. If I had to do it all over again I think the Four Stroke would be the way to go. Just sounds better on a Warbird plus the low end power would be better for take offs from grass.
Chuck
Old 06-30-2003, 01:41 PM
BenWillis

Chuck,

I am flying my P-51 with a Saito 120 and swinging a 15X8 prop. While much faster than scale at WOT she flies beautifully at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle with plenty of power for high speed passes.

I had originally planned on the same engine for the P-47 but I am really starting to HATE cleaning up the oooz hence my choice for a two stroke gas engine. Hopefully with my planned semi-scale exhaust I will be able to soften the exhaust tone a bit. We shall see.

Ben
Old 06-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Ham639

BenWillis,
I agree about the ooze. Just this spring I had to resheet the bottom of the fuse just aft of the firewall because of all the unburnt fuel and oil soften the wood. Thanks for sharing your build on your '47. This is a great flying aircraft.
Chuck
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Jesstar

BenWillis

Coming along nicely, it’s amazing how fast the fus goes together to start with.
Totally agree about those blocks, they take some time to shape up, lots of sanding overall.

What covering you planning on ? I'm thinking a film covering to start with then maybe glass/paint over winter once I know the weight etc

All

I intend to run with a 4 bladed prop, although smallest I have found readily available in Uk is 13x10 , don't think I will try it though
Hope to move onto a 120 4stroker for next season.
My plan is to get the thing flying then finish off scale stuff over the winter months.

I also plan on fitting a fixed U/C although the wings will be built for retracs and my own rigid block fabricated.

Plenty of room for a good silencer arrangement though, so might be able to get the 2stroke fairly quiet
Old 06-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Jesstar

ooops forgot pic for you.

:devious:

Name:	90431_37482.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	51938  
Old 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM
BenWillis

Default Update

Well after a LOT of sanding and shaping I got the stab and fin done. What a pain in the arse

Tonight I should be able to start back on fuse construction.

Jesstar: Any new pics from you?

Ben in SC

Name:	90888_23352.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	51939  
Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Jesstar

Not really got much further in terms of what can be seen.

Finished off the Fus' now though (finally).

Things I have been doing - sanding/filling - lots more of it to come for you BenWillis
To get a nice blending of sheeting & get the round shape.

The Tail wheel mechanics is a little bit crap IMHO so at your stage I would add an extra snake for its control and split from the servo arm.
Sadly I didn’t have the option as I was too far along with sheeting before I realised.

Managed to modify the STD Irvine silencer to fit inside the cowling, it’s about 25mm shorter and I have changed the flange angle and depth. The outlet is a temp copper pipe, but I will TIG weld an Alu version on for final flight. Just saves £35 on a silencer that can go towards a nice 4stroker
Built up a dummy 16" prop to check the scale appearance against the cowl and check engine depth/thrust lines. 16” looks good, 15” acceptable.
Irvine recommends the largest prop size of 15x7” for their .72, so (if I can find) a 15.5x7" or 16x6" should do the job nicely.
So far I have not managed to find any prop nut/spinner , you got any ideas ?

I will start on the wings tomorrow
Old 07-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Jesstar

Getting there slowly now.

Latest Picture for you [Ben Willis[/b]

I’m not going to sheet the wings completely, as the retracts are still not here, or finished the Servo mounting designs for the Ailerons ( using two in wings ).

Jesstar

Name:	91282_37482.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	51940  
Old 07-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Sycoticca

Default P-47 gotta love them

well mine is not a kit but instead an arf I just wanted to post mine anyway It is a modeltech arf .60 to .90 size im flying it with a .60 rossi and it flys well, rather scale like with plenty of power.. a pitts does a fine job but a 4 stroke would sound a lot nicer in her....

Name:	91299_16486.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	51941  
Old 07-04-2003, 12:49 AM
Jesstar

What sized prop are you running Sycoticca ?
Old 07-04-2003, 12:59 AM
Sycoticca

Default prop size

Im running a master airscrew 12-6 tried a 13-6 apc but was a little to much, whats the span on yours..and weight..
Old 07-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Jesstar

Full spec's can be read here.
http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0135.html

Not finished yet so weight is unknown, seems glassed & painted they come out around 5Kg (12lbs)
Old 07-04-2003, 02:22 AM
tim thompson

I fly mine on a saito 90 with cj retracts off pavement. No trouble. Nice flying plane really slows down for langing on 30 flap.

Am building the 1:5 scale with a g-46 in it. All nav lights and a scale functioning landing light! Gear doors also done scale. Using robarts planning to glass with epoxy for added strength. I hope all the wires for the Ram lights and servo extentions dont give me fits. So far no glitches but a long way from engine runs, just getting all the scale stuff to seguence is a pain in th A**. Thanks to jomar for their sequencer or the inner doors would be leftoff.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.