Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

how many servoes are you using? The site sayas 6 and it looks like a minimum of 7, 4 for the ailerons, 1 rudder, elevator and throttle. What he is saying is that you have the same rips on top of the wing that he got when shipped to him. We see a patch on your upper wing
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 AM
bokis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh,thanks! No,the patch was entirely my fault,cant blaim anyone![:'(]
Servos; seven is accurate! 4 ailerons ,rudder,elevator and trotthle,1 of each ,..
The manual shows eight for some reason ,itĀ“s actually showing what I think is a retract valve servo also!
As we say here in Sweden,even the sun has spots!
To be honest,the manual isnĀ“t a "top of the line product" but it works for me,a little bit of imagination is useful.
BTW,where can I find machineguns thats suitable?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 AM
blubberse

Video of taxi testing as promised

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMNFmBT2s4[/youtube]
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the final weight of the plane ready to fly??

Ty
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 AM
fockewulf37

Your video is marked private and cannot be viewed.....
Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 AM
alanc

works for me now, i had to sign into utube, 20 minutes of tossing around chasing my sign in details later
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM
bokis

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

What is the final weight of the plane ready to fly??

Ty
Some kilos,havent got a clue! Weight isnĀ“t an issue here,the wing area is enough to serve sunday family dinner on but if you want to know this I can perhaps find a scale somewhere..
First I was thinking about moving my OS Sirius to this one ,it needs the weight up front but this will work too with a pound of led there.
This is something I have caused myself by placing the elevator servo in the back but for me itĀ“s worth it..
Alan,I have contacted Mr Blubberse about Youtube and private,he claims as usual heĀ“s done nothing wrong!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM
fockewulf37

The Vid is working now. I plan on using electric on this plane and would like to know your weight so I can decide on which motor to you...

Ty
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
bokis

Give a day or two and i will try to find a scale and weigh it for you..Its a beautiful model and ESM have done a great job with it,looking forward to fly this one as soon as this arctic mould has gone....
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
ispirit99

Nice video blubberse.  Looked like just a hair more on the throttle and she would have gone air born. I know you can't wait for the snow to melt. Good job! Tony
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Ram-bro

received the ugliest biplane I have ever seen today....absolutely beautiful. No damage and packaged very well. I cant wait to get started...especially with spriing being right around the corner. maybe i will do a build thread,we will see. I gotta make room in the basement. I am considering a G38 but that might be to much weight up front....but maybe its needed. Who else has received theirs and what are you powering it with?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
ispirit99

Ram-bro, I'm Really glad to hear you got her and in good shape. She really is a thing of beauty. The posted video got me excited even more. I was thinking rather than useing 4 aileron servos, that I might use 2 heavy duty servos and connect them to the top ones with 4-40 rods. It would look more scale I think. What do you think about doing it this way? I hope you decide to do a assembly thread. I would enjoy it. Tony.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
fockewulf37

Hey guys,
Would anyone be interested in a spun aluminium Cowl for the Swordfish? I had a request for a cowl 1/2" larger in diameter so an OS 300 radial could be fit into the cowl. My spinner guy figuring up the cost of 1. if more are needed they will be cheaper....

Ty
Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Ram-bro

i would be interested...for the asp 400. whats a ruff estimate and how about that cockpit kit?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Ram-bro

I glanced over the instructions....boy do I need glasses. Not the easist to see or read. Here is a quickie question. Is the spar glued into both the center section and the outer panels? I remember seeing somehere that the wing would be abled to be broke down without removing all the wires, struts , cabanes, etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
fockewulf37

I just finished the T-28 cockpit kit. I am starting on the Swordfish tonight .. Hope to have you a price on the cowl later tonight.. I am looking at least 4-5 weeks on a cowl.. There are must do projects in front of it. He also does full scale work...

ty
Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
ispirit99

Ram-bro, I had the same question about the wing detaching and a bit of a problem with The instructions. That's why I hoped you would do a thread. I think I read from blubberse that he could detach his wings for transport and set up in about 5 mins. The instructions say to glue the wings together but if I do that, I will have a full length wing. Did I miss somthing? Also, there are no directions for mounting the fuel tank. I can work it out however, it looks like you have to insert the tank by slipping it forward towards the back of the firewall then sliding it back into the tank houseing which is under the servo trays. I would be interested to know how blubberse did his tank and wing. Any idea how you will set up your elevators? Will you go with the directions or put a servo towards the rear of the fuse and use a shorter rod connection. I also would be interested in the spun cowl [if the price is right]. The Spun Spinner I got from Fockewulf37 was a really nice bit of work.Thanks, Tony.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
fockewulf37

I will look at the wings tonight. It called for gluing all the wings together on the tube for the ME 110. I had but i just put a set screw to hold the wing onto the tube and made it removeable. You could most likely do the same here....

Ty
Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Ram-bro

I know whatchamean.Tomas, you out there ? We need a master interpreter here. Steps 15 and 18 read," Epoxy thetop wings hardly togetherby the wing joiner." and "Epoxy the bottom wings hardly togetherby the main wing joiner. Step 19 thensays," Fix wings steadily with screw." Sucha confusing way of saying...? I was considering using scale flyingwires for the rudder andelevator, if possible. If I use the G38 andits pretty heavy,Iwill put the servoes in therear.....once agin if possible. Someone also tell me about step 61. What ius the switch servo? Steps 68 thru70do show the struts beingaddeed withthe wing not glued in, so that must mean something.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 AM
bokis

When i assembled this one didnĀ“t glue the wing panels together,as I said earlier on a little bit of imagination is in order here..
I glued the wingspar,top wing,in the left and right panel and made sure that they slide easy into the center piece..
After that,same procedure with the alu tubing in the bottom wing,put everything into place and drilled the holes for the wing struts..
Went out an bought some fish wire instead of the supplied wire,rigged everything..
I could now disassemble left and right side as 2 pcs without problems..
To lock them into the center piece i drilled 4 holes from underneath into the spar and alu tube and used screws to lock the hole package..This is my sollution,maybe theres a better way but this works for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
ispirit99

"Thanks bokis". Sounds like a good plan to me. Why did you go with Fishing Line rather than the supplyed wires and What weight fishing line did you use? Your Bird looks great!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
bokis

Fishing wires are strong and looks a lot better ,the original oneĀ“s are not something iI normally use..The same wire are used as pull-pull to the rudder,I used that along with a servo up front instead of adding another servo in the rear.I think i bought 45 lbs wires this time..
Again,use a little bit of imagination and sollutions that you rely on ,I dont follow the instructions to the letter and it has worked for me so far.
One of the things I modified a lot was the engine mount,the firewall(I think thats the name for it) has very thin ply behind it...
I was a little bit surprised but the sollution is easy,add an extra ply behind it
Ram-bro,that switch servo you are refering to,I think it is a minor error ,it shows in the picture something that looks like a retract air valve!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 PM
ispirit99

Thanks Bokis. That's what I will do for my flying wires as well. Ought to give a nice humming sound as the wind passes thru and vibrates them. I did notice the firewall could use some reinforcement which I will also do. Are you going to plug in a cockpit when they are ready? Ever thought of mounting some ski's on your Swordfish? Looks like you are going to have snow for some time.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Robert Bishop

Hello there,
This is my first attempt at forums-so bear with me. I am seriously considering buying the Swordfish. One question I have is- has anyone considered modifying the wings to allow them to fold as per the full size? From looking at the photos on this thread, it appears possible

Bob
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible and that would be cool. Spars would be an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.