Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

Fantastic, Alf!

You must start flying your planes in the weekends so that the rest of the warbird-boys can watch.....??

I dont know why, but I like the Swordfish. Maybe it is the history behind it.

Somehow the idea of attacking a battleship with this stringbag in the English Channel, with Focke Wulfs from JG-26 lurking around,
    and every single one of the 6 swordfish'es getting shot down....but they DID attack! It is fascinating.

You need to get that Torpedo, dropable, in place! A demonstration, video-filmed, would be fantastic.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Dash
    http://asisbiz.com/Il2/Operation-Don...b-1942-01.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kwik

Fantastic, Alf!

You must start flying your planes in the weekends so that the rest of the warbird-boys can watch.....??

I dont know why, but I like the Swordfish. Maybe it is the history behind it.

Somehow the idea of attacking a battleship with this stringbag in the English Channel, with Focke Wulfs from JG-26 lurking around,
    and every single one of the 6 swordfish'es getting shot down....but they DID attack! It is fascinating.

You need to get that Torpedo, dropable, in place! A demonstration, video-filmed, would be fantastic.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Dash
    http://asisbiz.com/Il2/Operation-Don...b-1942-01.html

Since I do work 3 out of 4 weekends I guess that woud be a litlle to much for my familylife!

The Swordfish is a facinating plane and the bomb, wires, cockpit and other details will be added during this autumn.

New flights with videoshoot tomorrow :-)
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ispirit99

Hey guys! After being snowed in all winter I had plenty of time to work on my Swordfish. Thought I would share some picture's of the cockpit install I got from Ty.*
    Where did you get your pilots from?

I need some for my Swordfish
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Affas,
    You should consider putting the flying wires in place. They are actually functional. If you take hold of the top wing by the tip, without the flying wires you can pivot the top wing on the single bolt in the middle. So it is possible to take off with the wing equal and end up with the top wing out of shape at end of flight. This may considerably change the way the model flies....

Ty
    tysplanes.com
    food for thought:\'\'\'\'If the enemy is in range, so are you..\'\'\'\'\'\'Tracers work both ways.\'\'\'\'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwV8jjWCznk

Maiden of my ESM Fairey Swordfish. All extra possible weight aft of CG was removed and servoes was moved upfront with batteries and switches under the tank in front. With the Laser 240V Twin I had to add approx 200g lead in the cowling. I made it a little fwd CG since the cockpit and pilots is not installed yet. This is a gentle lady and it flies very well.

Unfortunately one cylinder quitted in low altitude after a touch and go and I had to do a forced lading outside the field. Actual in a steep downhill without being able to see when it hit the ground....

But the model survived, only minor damage to the body and some bent undercarriage. The wings was structrally undamaged, only one hole in the skin.

Will be repaired and I will also add scalecockpit, pilots, tornado, flying wires etc during the winter.
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Swordfish fans,
    I hope you like my latest effort. The new evolution 35cc radial fit this airplane perfectly, but does it have enough poop? Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	If10522.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1679865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu66106.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1679866  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I know this thread Has not seen much action lately but. If anyone needs a set of these pilots for the Swordfish. I have some here . I they are hollow resin figures and weighs about 3-4 oz each...

Ty

Name:	Zx69860.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	1712881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85543.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1712882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97412.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1712883  
    tysplanes.com
    food for thought:\'\'\'\'If the enemy is in range, so are you..\'\'\'\'\'\'Tracers work both ways.\'\'\'\'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ty
    Would these pilots fit as well your Ki-84 cockpit?
    Thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pic of the pilot on the KI-84..

ty

Name:	Ec87139.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1713385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83299.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	1713386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze84885.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1713387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45998.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1713388  
    tysplanes.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I knew it.
    It look familiar. You have PM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently purchased a ESM P-51 D through Troy Built Models (TMB). The package arrived in excellent condition with no damage. However, afterassemblingthe wing andtail section I noticed that the verticle stab was off center about 3/4 of an inch to the right when viewing from the rearof the plane. Because the fuselarge is one fiberglass section when I mounted the horizontal staband stood up the plane theentire section is off center with no way of adjusting it to be straight and true. I called TBM and spoke with Bill who immediately told me it was not possible because all ofthe P-51's are built fromthe same mold. That statement from a saleperson in Florida is discouraging to me. He basically called me a lier. I was able to convince Bill that I was not giving up on my service and quality of the product call so Bill referred me to an Expert name Patrick to discuss my issue. Patrick told me thatmy issue was not unique or in other words I was notlying about the tail section being twisted from a defective "quality controlprocess in China" that is obviously not checked when the products arrive at TBM. Patrick told meto heat the fuslarge to soften the fiberglass, and place weighton the high side of the tail section (in this case on the left stab) and when the fiberglass softensit canbe twisted to correct the problem. I took this potential solution to my club and got very different opionions.One of our club members (the most experianced with building and flying warbirds)told me to follow Patrick's advice as he has built ESM plans and he hadto deal with other problems with the molded fuselarge not made correctly or poor quality regarding straightness. Another club member told me that the paint job will be affected whenI heat and then twist the tail section and the second problem is the plane will be weakenedin the area of the heated section because fiberglass is strongest the first time it ismanufactured and it gets weaker if it is made soft by heatingand allowing it to reharden.

WHAT IN THE WORLD!

Can someone who has experiance share an opinion or sulution to the above. I have an aviation backgroundand I fly other airplanes (the is my first warbird). I know if I put the bird up with a twisted tail section it will not fly properly if at all. Iwould rather save my equipmentand buy anotherwarbird (this time checking it for straightness the day it arrives) then risk a disaster on maiden. Has anyone else out there had similar experiances with ESM warbirds?

Electroyal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What probably happened was that the fuse was pulled from the mold still a little soft. This could cause the warpage. I would call TBM back and demand a new fuse. Tell them you will contact ESM directly and also ( please say you used a credit card to purchase it) If TBM won't fix the problem then go through your credit card Comapny and get your money back due to damaged or bad product.. You Should not have to fix TBM's/esm's problem. You bought a kit expecting a quality kit... BTW TBM does not inspect the models before they leave their warehouse...
    tysplanes.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW it would probably fly just fine. It would just look bad . I have flown planes with a twisted tail and you would never had know it.
    tysplanes.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I came into one of these after one of the members at our field had an accident with it, after spending some time getting it ready, Iwas able to put 3 flights on her last weekend. I had a devil of a time with the c of g mostly as my balance would not fit a biplane of this size, today a friend came over and helped me. It was rather comical trying to balance the thing upside down, and you guessed it, not really sure we did get it. Using the right side up finger balance it looks like I might be a tad aft of the 130 mm and I did notice some pitch issue's during the 3 flights I put on her. Reading though the thread it looks like I could add a bit of weight to the nose and I am looking for some opinions of where the c of g should go.

Like Ty's mine is electric and powered by an E-Flite 160 on 10S with a pair of 5,000 mah packs. Speed control is a Castle HV80 and the prop is a MAS3 blade 16X10. For the first 3 flights I set the timer to 8 minutes and was putting about 3000 mah back in the packs. A friend at the local hobby shop fabricated a custom motor mount that fits over the kits gas/glow mount, and also doubles as the battery tray, I will take some pictures and post. The one feature's of the mount that I really like is that there is about half an inch of right, left and also a half inch of up and down adjustement at the back of the motor so centering the motor in the cowl it is rather easy. Iam going to use another on the front of the ESMp-39 that is on the bench beside me.

Any center of gravity advise appreciated.

Cheers

Rick,

Spitfire Brotherhood #188
    P-39 Brotherhood #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,

I'm sure glad I found this forum. So far it has been an interesting read. I'm still confused about the correct location of the cg. On all my ESM models it has always been about 1/2 to 3/4 inches ahead of the manual. Also some think the flying wires are structural and required I'm not sure what to think here. I had already decided the batteries need to go up in the cowling, only I decided to slide them in from the back side of the firewall via a hatch. I have reglasses the inside of the nose and installed an access hatch. The oil cooler will be fitted as a sliding lock. The hatch will also give me access to the radio gear without having to remove the wings. Well that's the plan any way. I bought a Rimfire 1.60 for power it has a slightly higher power capacity than the e-flite 160. Now I'm really glad to know the E-flite 160 is more than enough for this plane I was a bit worried. Anyway glad to be here and welcome all the advice I can get.
    Best Regards
    Paul

\"The more airplanes you have the less likely your wife is to notice a new one.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread doesn't seem to be to active, but here goes anyway. I have just received several detailed cockpit photos of a MK II Swordfish that were taken from a Naval Museum aircraft. I would be happy to pass them along to anyone interested.
    Best Regards
    Paul

\"The more airplanes you have the less likely your wife is to notice a new one.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

post them on here. That will refire this thread

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the MK II cockpit photos.

Name:	Ay73927.jpg 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	1820328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93901.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	1820329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20851.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	1820330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uo36695.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1820331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lx21899.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	1820332  

Best Regards
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since my airplane will be electric I decided to put my batteries as far forward as possible. I looked at TY's installation, but decided I didn't want to take parts off to change batteries and I wanted access to my electronics with out taking the lower wing off. I put a RotoZip bit in my dremmel tool and removed the fire wall about three quarters of an inch from the fuselage sides all the way around. I glassed several layers of glass cloth on the side where I planned to cut out a hatch. Next I installed the top half of the firewall using 1/4 ply. It was epoxied and screwed to the old firewall.

Name:	Ur52144.jpg 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	1820547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83071.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	1820548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag91392.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	1820549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pi16444.jpg 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	1820550  
    Best Regards
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had to cut a little metal off the bottom of the motor mount so the batteries would slide forward. What surprised me a little was the motor itself prevented the batteries from going all the way forward. If necessary I can lower the battery tray by removing some of the forward fuselage and re glassing, but I think I'll finish building the plane and see where it balances before I get more radical. So far this has been a really straight forward conversion. I would be interested to know id TY added any lead to his nose.

Name:	Qo41385.jpg 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	1820569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55601.jpg 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	1820570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz67470.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	1820571  
    Best Regards
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am putting an OS Sirius 5 cyl on mine, will need to beef up the front but won't need to add any weight for sure, might even need tail weight. Will sound amazing, Am having to modify the cowl ring or make another as it is a bit too tight for the OS
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Manfred,

I'm not sure how heavy your motor is, but it may be appropriate to get inside the forward fuselage and beef up the fire wall. I found it necessary and I don't have near the vibration potential the gas engines have. It just seemed too lightly built for such a big plane.

Also please post some pictures, there is nothing cooler than a radial.

Paul
    Best Regards
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Destroyer Sorru for the Delay. After my travels my son wound up in the hospital for some emergency surgery, he is home now and Iwas lucky enough to get out to the field today and to take some pictures of the Swordfish motor mount, that was fabricated.

I saw your question to Ty and I am not sure if he answered, however Idid see a post where he had the batteries in the cowl and mentioned that he had no extra weight added. I like the look of what you have done and expect that you will be adding some weight to the nose of your bird.

Anyway this is what we did, as you can see the front is not the best from a scale perspective, the mount has straps for the batteries and uses the ESM engine mount. The front has about a half inch of movement both horizontally and vertically this should make centering the motor a bit easier. My current build is the ESM P-39 and Ihad another mount made so once its time to center the cowl, I will let you know how it goes.

Iwould not worry about adding weight to yours, my motor battery prop combo cranks out a monstrous 1550 Watts, the plane weighs in at 21 pound for about 73 Watts/pound. Amazingly is chugs along fine at just over half throttle. So if you need to add some weight I would not be too overly concerned as the wings have lots of Lift. Enjoy yours!

Cheers

Name:	Xv65528.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1821649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34761.jpg 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1821650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg93081.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1821651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80619.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1821652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg53288.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	1821653  

Rick,

P-39 Brotherhood #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AZ,

Hope your son is doing well. That is a very interesting and innovative motor mount. That's what I love about this hobby somebody's always building a a better mouse trap. I have figured out how to move my batteries as far forward as necessary. So that issue is solved.

What prop are you using?

I also have an ESM about 85% complete. I'll finish her after the Swordfish flys this plane has really captured my attention

Paul
    Best Regards
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul thanks for asking about my son and yes he is doing fine and will be back to normal soon.

The mount is works very well and Iam looking forward to installing it on the P-39, I will make a few posts on the p-39 thread.

The prop is a MAS 16X10 not very good for speed but initial acceleration is pretty good and it pulls well at low speeds.

A 17 inch would most likely be better, but the 16X10 was sitting in a drawer, idle, so on it went.

Looking forward to hearing how your fly's mine is very stable and fly's scale like.

Cheers
    Rick,

P-39 Brotherhood #25

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast