Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
YEA: Keep on a Rockin'' and play it LOUD!
8.85%
NAY: Turn OFF the Music so I can hear the Warbirds
90.27%
MAYBE: IF music is subltle (background) AND appropriate for eras
0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Just got home from another R/C warbird event. Which event is irrellevent, because MOST warbird events I go to lately have the same thing:
LOUD music blaring over a P.A. system while I am:
1) attempting to converse with fellow modelers in the pit area.
2) trying to hear those warbird engines while they are flying.
3) trying to hear the engine on MY plane while I am flying it.
4) trying to converse with the pilot who is standing 100 ft from me, so that I can tell him I am about to make a dead stick landing (because I couldn't hear mine sputtering).

Now I LOVE Rock and Roll Music: I even have an electric guitar that I bring with sometimes to jam with when the flying is done, but hearing Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or ANY rock music (or C&W, Rap, you name it) during an event which is supposed to focus on history which pre-dates rock & roll (except: Viet Nam and following wars) doesn't even make any sense to me. If the CD simply MUST play music: how about music which was at least popular during the war years?

But actually, as I stated earlier: I am against playing practically ANY music (and most events play it LOUD), except for maybe the national anthem and/ or music related to the armed forces of the world, WHILE I or anyone else is flying thier warbirds, and ESPECIALLY when multiple planes are airborn and pilot to pilot communication becomes necessary for safety reasons.

But forget all that: Make up your OWN mind and VOTE: do you want to hear music playing over a P.A. at warbird events?
OR, should warbird events remian focused on the sights AND sounds of R/C warbirds (national anthems, armed forces, and SOME 'period' music would be O.K., IF not played continously and not too loud)

YEA vote means ' Keep on a Rocking and PLAY IT LOUD! I don't care if it was first recorded yesterday, if it Rocks, it NEEDS to be played and played LOUD, while historic warbirds are flying.

NAY vote means: I want to hear the airplanes, NOT Jimi Hendrix (unless of course: it is the national anthem). Occasional music which is from the warbird eras is OK IF played at reasonable volume.

Sunday Morning, Aug 30, added NEW option to above:
"MAYBE: IF music is subltle (background) AND appropriate for eras". In other words, quiet enough so spectaors and pilots alike can hear the engine, and speak in normal convernsations without having to yell, AND music should be appropriate to warbird eras and/ or specific aircraft. Again: that leaves Rock & Roll, Heavy Metal, Modern C&W, etc OUT, UNLESS it is Viet Nam erea or later aircraft. Many of us love Rock & Roll, but would prefer to hear Glenn Miller at a warbird event

Prior to adding option 3, vote was:
1. YEA: Keep on a Rockin'' and play it LOUD! (10)
2. NAY: Turn OFF the Music so I can hear the Warbirds (102)

It should be understood that perhaps many of the voters who elected "NAY" WOULD have voted for "MAYBE", had that option been available from the beginning.

Please feel free to add your own comments as well (by adding a post).

Whatever the results: CDs, PLEASE pay ATTENTION!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Only one thing worse then loud music at events, and that's " DEMO'S ", of any kind.

Dont they realize that we came there to fly ? [>:]

Ed
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
jmohn

I guess it sort of depends on what the format of the event is. If it's a warbird show open to the public, then an anouncer talking about the plane flying is great so people know what they are looking at. If there's some arobatic stuff going on then I am fine with music to make the flight more exciting. It it's just random music, then no.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

I haven't been to a Warbird Show, but I voted No! I too would go there to fly, not listen to music. Now... when no one is flying or it's between events then It's no big deal, unless it's Rap... I hate Rap! [:@] But if it's the 1930's-1940's music... that's a different story. Bring on the Glenn Miller!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:56 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In our Warbirds group will sometimes play period (30-40's) music throught the day which although not my cup of tea outside of that enviroment (I'm wayyy too young for that!). It does add a little more "feel" to the event, so in that spirit, Rock, Rap, RnB etc would probably not be appropriate for the event in my view. Having said that, I have also brought out my F-16 to warbirds events, and we are starting to see more and more modern warbirds coming out, which are well and truely warbirds, and for that, above music could also be considered "period" music....

We also have to think about the general public who has come out to see it all happen and hopefully become attracted to what we do, and join up. full sized airshows play music all the time.

Now anything blaring from the speakers while flying is on would not impress me at all.... Maybe we need another option to vote on which is: play music which is appropriate and at a respectable level??

Thanks

dave
Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I voted 'NO' I go to hear the Planes and Talk to fellow modelers; I too love Music, but not at our RC events; and all too often the Music is played way TOO loud and over crappy speakers, and lets not forget about the feedback that goes with it, when the announcer trys to say something; if I wanted to listen to Music I'll go to a Concert; or better yet after a long day of flying go to a Bar and knock back a few cold ones and listen to the music then.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM
jmohn

I think you have to compare what they do at "real" air shows these days.

At Reno last year the Air Force demo team (Thunderbirds) called out manuvers and had some good music during the show. I think this is very appropriate to and RC show if done correctly. Other than that they didn't have any music, but did anounce what was coming up next and gave updates on race leaders and stuff. I think the F22 also had some music playing during it's demo, but I couldn't hear anything since it was so loud

It sure would take away from the atmosphere of the show if music was playing during the fly-byes of the planes. It's so great to heard those motors going bye.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

I vote NO,

with the exception of WW II era Music, & this only if played at a resonable volume , I second the vote for Glenn Miller & the Big Band Swing !

The " Flight of the Valkire " , Absoultey , By No Means , the theme from the movie Top Gun.

What of the guy's that use the timer feature on their radios, How can we hear the all important " Beep "

As other's have stated , Communicating with other Pilots , Safety officers ,

51-D GUY.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Not a simple answer. In general NO. I use an iPod with a ear bud in one ear to time my flights. I play it soft and can hear everyone around me and the planes in the air. I generally use music matched to what I'm flying. Although I do gravitate to other things if I get tired of hearing the Luftwaffe March over and over For the short time I flew my F-4 Phantom I listened to Hendrix's "Hey Joe" it was period and made me chuckle,

But I control the volume and don't want to hear it played over a loudspeaker system. PA's get set too loud or your on the axis of the speaker and it's annoying. Plus some music just doesn't match the style of aircraft or flight your seeing.

If it were done well, I'd enjoy it. But I'd like to see it played softly so it's not intrusive and with real thought as to matching the action.

Even warbirds flying to Big Band Music mismatched to the display can be very annoying I prefer wartime marches, national anthems, or similar.

I have recently added Queen's version of "God Save the Queen" to my various playlists as my landing music. I have playlists for 5minutes on up to 10minutes. When I hear it in my ear I know my flight is done and it's time to land.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Ed
Only one thing worse then loud music at events, and that's '' DEMO'S '', of any kind.
Dont they realize that we came there to fly ? [>:]
Ed
I'm with ya on that one, Ed. I've even heard of one 'warbird event' that has an Extra 300/ 3D demo about midway thru the event. Come on, if ya got to give some people special treatment (by allowing them to perform a demo), at LEAST make it be related to the rest of the event.

ORIGINAL: jmohn
..................... If it's a warbird show open to the public, then an anouncer talking about the plane flying is great so people know what they are looking at. If there's some arobatic stuff going on then I am fine with music to make the flight more exciting. It it's just random music, then no.
Jeff
As far as the public goes: while I welcome spectators and like to see them at events, I think some clubs place too much emphasis on pleasing them, rather than the pilots who may have traveled greater distances to attend, and who have the large investments (time and money) which MAKE the events.
Announcers are not part of the question/ poll. I don't consider them to be music, and I am therefor in no way discouraging them. In fact, I agree: it is nice to have a knowledgable person to discuss and explain the warbirds to the public, as well as other pilots.

ORIGINAL: dasintex
I voted 'NO' I go to hear the Planes and Talk to fellow modelers; I too love Music, but not at our RC events; and all too often the Music is played way TOO loud and over crappy speakers, and lets not forget about the feedback that goes with it, when the announcer trys to say something; if I wanted to listen to Music I'll go to a Concert; or better yet after a long day of flying go to a Bar and knock back a few cold ones and listen to the music then.
"Knock back a few cold ones and listen to the music then": that's what I'M talkin' about.

ORIGINAL: jmohn
I think you have to compare what they do at ''real'' air shows these days.
At Reno last year the Air Force demo team (Thunderbirds) called out manuvers and had some good music during the show. I think this is very appropriate to and RC show if done correctly. Other than that they didn't have any music, but did anounce what was coming up next and gave updates on race leaders and stuff. I think the F22 also had some music playing during it's demo, but I couldn't hear anything since it was so loud
It sure would take away from the atmosphere of the show if music was playing during the fly-byes of the planes. It's so great to heard those motors going bye.
Jeff
I disagree: we DON'T have to compare how R/C warbird shows are organized to how the full scale warbird shows are. For one thing, most of them do the same thing I am campaigning against: playing loud music (and most times, not even 'period' music) while Pratt and Whitneys, Merlins, etc. are what I am desperately trying to hear. Actually, THAT is what I call music (the classic engines), and THAT is what I want to hear.

So what I'm saying: just because they play loud music at full scale shows, doesn't mean we have to do it at R/C warbird shows. But I do agree with those that think it acceptable IF the music is related to what is currently flying (time period wise), and IF not played too loud. What I am campaigning against is music which is NOT related to the warbirds, and which is played so loud that you have to yell if you are trying to converse with someone 10 feet away from you. And that is exactly what I am hearing at more and more 'warbird' events.

And I'll add a little more: in most cases, the speakers are located far from the person who is 'spinning the vinyl', and pointed away from him. They don't even realize how loud it is to everybody else.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At our warbirds we play period WWII music, not blaring but just light background, we also play specific music for certain flying activities.
For instance when we have several corsairs taking off for a formation flight we will play the baa baa blacksheep theme. We do not play any hard rock once the event begins!!!! The music is for the enjoyment of the spectators and to set the mood. If it interfers with communication between pilots it's way to loud. We also believe that you pay your money to fly! Don't shut down flying for some hokie demo flight! If you want 3D then go to a 3D event, not a warbirds rally! What it comes down to is, is the event for the fliers or the spectators. If it's for the flyers then let them fly. If you want to run an airshow, run an airshow. I don't like events that try to do both and do neither very well.

Larry
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess you have your answer - 95% for nah- no need for that.

I knew a lot of pilots would be against loud music (any kind), but I was surprised of the high percentage.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Tango Juliet

I voted Nah, based on the definition given. Turn the speakers away from the Pilot stations and direct them toward the spectators, and just loud enough to create atmosphere (4 cycles are hard enough to hear even in calm conditions). Demo's should also be appropriate to the gathering, if there are any allowed at all. At the Joe Nall, I personally thought the Noontime Demos were a bit excessive and should have been limited to one day. But that's just me.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Guess you have your answer - 95% for nah- no need for that.

I knew a lot of pilots would be against loud music (any kind), but I was surprised of the high percentage.
I am surprised too. I enjoy the Glenn Miller music during warbird events, not blaring, but loud enough to put you "In The Mood", curtainly NO Rock & Roll. I also enjoy Rolls Royce and Radial engines straifs and occasional start-ups. These sound effects really get the crowd going. Its also cool to see flags flying and ground battle scenes with pilot figures and tanks, jeeps and motorcycles. I know some pilots look at these as toys or dolls, but when properly posed they look authentic. Just remember, warbirds are all an illusion and about having fun at the expense of our Greatest Generation. Demos are cool if not in excess. At Warbirds Over Delaware lunch time show, we created the largest model Dawn Patrol, launching 34 WWI 1/4 and 1/3 scale aircraft in the sky at the same time. It was a sight to see and a worlds record to boot. So as far as the poll? I'd have to vote both.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: larry@coyotenet
At our warbirds we play period WWII music, not blaring but just light background, we also play specific music for certain flying activities.
For instance when we have several corsairs taking off for a formation flight we will play the baa baa blacksheep theme. We do not play any hard rock once the event begins!!!! The music is for the enjoyment of the spectators and to set the mood. If it interfers with communication between pilots it's way to loud. We also believe that you pay your money to fly! Don't shut down flying for some hokie demo flight! If you want 3D then go to a 3D event, not a warbirds rally! What it comes down to is, is the event for the fliers or the spectators. If it's for the flyers then let them fly. If you want to run an airshow, run an airshow. I don't like events that try to do both and do neither very well.
Larry
Sounds like your club has the right idea. 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' is perfect for Corsair flights (as long as it isn't too loud).

I guess I should have worded the options a little different, and / or added a 3rd option: 'Music is OK, as long as it is appropriate for time period for the warbirds AND not too loud'.
Seems like common sense to me, yet so many events that I participate in start out with loud, R&R, C&W, or some other 'modern' music and they crank it up so loud that one must yell in order to have normal conversation.

Curious about the 3 (so far) "YEA" votes: I haven't seen any comments by them to support thier votes. Maybe they just pushed the wrong button?

And once again, I agree on the 'hokie demo flights': if it's a warbird event, KEEP it a warbird event, and allow the ALL warbirds to fly as much as possible (not just the 'speacial' ones). Maybe someone should start another poll onthat subject ( 'Flight Demos at Warbird Events: YEA or Nay?').
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
fytrjok

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At Warbirds Over Denver we play only period music. We have a high quality sound system and have received rave reviews of the audio presentation. While it's difficult to please everyone all the time, if you use common sense, appropriate music can greatly enhance the whole experience. Speaker placement is very important...they need to be placed in areas that won't blow away anyone. The approach we use is like what is done in a movie...use the music to enhance the action. If it is distracting, it's too loud or not appropriate. While I do certainly agree that face ripping music of any type can lead to a bad experience, there's nothing like The Flight of the Valkyries during a WWI gaggle or Baa Baa Black Sheep during a Corsair gaggle as Larry said! I for one think you should add another catagory to your poll. I'd bet you'd see some interesting results.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This cracks me up.
You can't have a spectacular event without a soundtrack to the event.
You guys can fly at your local club without music anytime you want.
But you're talking about an event. An event where people from the surrounding community are coming to see a show.
So, make it a show...not just another day at the field.

But I do agree that the speakers should not face the flightline.
At CA Jets, we have plenty of speaker wire that allows them to be placed so that they face the spectators but not the pilot stations.
But, it really doesn't matter how you do it, your not going to please everybody.
Just as with video. You always get whiners who think an entertaining RC video is focussed on the entire flight (even if it's a shakey little far away dot in the sky), and has no soundtrack to accompany or add ambience.

I dislike RAP. I have a 20-year old that is all over it. If playing one rap song during an event made a couple of young spectators feel good/included, I say screw all the haters.
I can guarantee that the length of time your average spectator stays at an event would be far less if there wasn't a soundtrack to the event. This is why all the major airshows have a full, preplanned musical soundtrack. Especially the flight demo teams.

And, of course, the volume level should be appropriate...and monitored.

Just remember, it's an event...not another lazy Sunday afternoon at the local field.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Voted nay. I liked the option of playing Big Band music at a decible level that you can still enjoy conversation and hear the action on the flight line. The music should be a pleasing backround to what is really going on up front. It shouldn't be the main attraction.

Brian
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
TakingFlight96

I was recently at Warbirds and Classics over the Midwest in Fond du Lac, WI and they do have music which is not played too loud, and it isn't played all the time either. At the beginning before everybody started flying they played the US and Canadian national anthem. And the only time the PA system comes on is either for music or an announcement about raffles, or fly overs, etc. I admit the music adds a certain touch but I'd much rather here the engines.

TF96
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

I'm with ya on that one, Ed. I've even heard of one 'warbird event' that has an Extra 300/ 3D demo about midway thru the event. Come on, if ya got to give some people special treatment (by allowing them to perform a demo), at LEAST make it be related to the rest of the event.
A few years back I traveled out to Camarillo Ca. to fly in an IMAA Big Bird event. That's over 1000 miles for me round trip. They treated me to a noontime Helicopter Demo lasting over one hour ! Nope .... I never went back.

Wake up organizers ........... We sign up to fly !

- Ed
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 AM
hellcat56

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a CD and host a couple of events each year, and go to a couple of other events each year.
I go to fly and enjoy others flying, if I wanted music I have a radio. I attended an old car meet just last month, they had music so loud we couldnt even talk to each other. When the band quit playing we all cheered.

Part of the thrill of these event is the sound of the planes (sorry about that electric guys)

We use the P.A. for Star Spangled Banner and commentary on the planes flying and announcements.

To the guy who said he get compliments about his music most of us guys wouldnt complain we would just endure the noise.
If you have ANY doubt what people want, look at the poll numbers it is so lopsided i dont think there is any way you can say it is not accurate

As for demos if it is a Warbird show it should be a Warbird Demo or NOTHING.
Hellcat56
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 AM
fytrjok

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, your right Hellcat...given the choice between face ripping rap and nothing, I'd go with nothing too! If you had read the most recent posts, it shouldn't be hard to notice a trend toward enjoying the enhancements of an event that appropriate music can bring. I've spent a lot of time and expense compiling a library of period music and war movie soundtracks. I also constantly monitor the audio levels to make sure the music stays in the background and enhances the show. If the music drowns out the engine noise, it's too loud! Do you host a Warbird event and are the "other" events you attend "Warbird" events? I think the poll question was poorly worded, I think the results are not accurate as to what most people would prefer to experience and I think you insulted me when you called my efforts "noise". The nerve of some people...[:'(]
Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of the folks here cannot accept the fact that the great majority of the PILOTS do not want music playing at the events. The results of this poll are not inaccurate! If you still think so, you are in denial.

Since when have events been held to entertain spectators with music? Most pilots who do not like the music will not complain about it to the organizers. I, for one, simply cross that event off of next year's calendar and go to another event instead.

Our events should be first and foremost about what the participating pilots want from an event.

Spectators don't come to an event for the music, they come to watch the planes fly! Every event I go to is well attended by spectators. Spectator attendance is far more about how well the event is publicised to the public than whether there is music playing.

When the event organizers care more about entertaining spectators than what the pilots want, watch the participation in the event dwindle.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
hellcat56

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to Fytrjok
Your comment "and I think you insulted me when you called my efforts "noise". The nerve of some people... "
Dont mean to insult anyone, although if that insults you, you might need a little thicker skin

Noise is a generic term to me that simply means something I dont want to hear could be music or droning on announcements

please accept my apology and if you think what you do is great then keep it up I thought the question was to help CD's find out what the pilots thought
The events I CD or participate in have all been Warbird events-you will not catch me at a 3D or helicopter event (come to think of it seems like the pilots of both those events do the same type of flying or hovering

I kind of know the difference in music and noiseI have been a high school band director for more years than I care to count

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins
.........................Since when have events been held to entertain spectators with music? Most pilots who do not like the music will not complain about it to the organizers. I, for one, simply cross that event off of next year's calendar and go to another event instead.

Our events should be first and foremost about what the participating pilots want from an event.

Spectators don't come to an event for the music, they come to watch the planes fly! Every event I go to is well attended by spectators. Spectator attendance is far more about how well the event is publicised to the public than whether there is music playing.

When the event organizers care more about entertaining spectators than what the pilots want, watch the participation in the event dwindle.
RIGHT ON! I especially agree with "Our events should be first and foremost about what the participating pilots want from an event". When the spectators become more important than the pilots, pilot participation will fall off.
It's GREAT to have spectators, and I always make a point of making myself very open to them. BUT, they are there to see our warbirds fly, and we are there to enjoy the comradity of flying with fellow warbirds enthusiests, and attempt to recreate a little bit of history.

Sorry I didn't add a third option (as stated earlier). It is too late to change it now, changing it would pretty much invalidate the votes that have already been cats.
But it seems pretty obvious to me, based on comments AND the wording in the 1st post, that the general consensus is:

1) The vast majority of us do not want LOUD music played while we are flying. ANY music being played should be BACKGROUND music, quiet enough that normal conversation can be held without resorting to yelling, and quiet enough so that we can hear our engines running.

2) Music should be appropriate for the aircraft that are flying. This includes national anthems, military hymms and theme songs, and the music that was popular during the time period that the aircraft are from. This could even include Rock & Roll IF the aircraft are Viet Nam era (or later ), but again: it should be BACKGROUND music.

To say the poll numbers and comments posted really support those statements seems more of an unstatement, as others have stated: it isn't even close by any means of imagination. The members of RCU warbird community have spoken, I sure hope the CDs are listening.

Another point brought up, but not included in the poll: flight demos. Many of us travel great distances, and spend $$ just to get for an event which lasts maybe 8 hours tops. When the event is shut down for a flight demo: IT SHOULD BE RELATED TO THE EVENT THEME (warbirds in this case). Even so, many are dis-satisfied with the special treatment alloted to others who are allowed to perform these demos, even when they are related to warbirds. CDs might be wise to carefully limit time frames for such demos, and allow ALL to get as much flying in as they can during the event timeframe.

ORIGINAL: hellcat56
......................Part of the thrill of these event is the sound of the planes (sorry about that electric guys)

Hellcat56
One more thing: some electric powered warbirds now have onboard sound systems which make them sound more realistic than fuel powered warbirds. I recently purchased one of those systems, and will install it in my electric powered Hangar 9 Corsair this coming winter, so no need to apologize to me.

Of course, if they turn the music up too loud: it'll be a complete waste of my money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.