Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Stuka canopy

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
funkymeter2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuka canopy

Hello, does anyone have a Great Planes Stuka canopy they would be willing to part with? I tried Tower but they are discontinued. Thanks, Jim
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Warbird Joe

Default RE: Stuka canopy

ORIGINAL: funkymeter2003

Hello, does anyone have a Great Planes Stuka canopy they would be willing to part with? I tried Tower but they are discontinued. Thanks, Jim

Hello Jim. I am not sure exactly what the canopy is supposed to be like but I found these four on ebay price from $4 - $5. Hope it helps

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=stu...nopy&_osacat=0

Joe
Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 AM
funkymeter2003

Thanks for the help Joe, the Martuka canopy may work as the GP stuka is 70" wingspan and that Martuka Stuka is 71". It is a different model but if all else fails I will have to try it it. Does anybody have an opinion on how "off" that would look? Also the GP is a B version and the Martuka is a D version. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the help Joe, the Martuka canopy may work as the GP stuka is 70'' wingspan and that Martuka Stuka is 71''. It is a different model but if all else fails I will have to try it it. Does anybody have an opinion on how ''off'' that would look? Also the GP is a B version and the Martuka is a D version. Thanks again.
I also busted my Great Planes Stuka canpoy last week and am now laying up a plug to pull a new one. I suspect this is the only way you will get a canopy for the plane. I am trying to make the canopy look a bit better than what came with the kit. If it turns out, I would be happy to pull one for you
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
funkymeter2003

LA7, I woulds be grateful for that. I am also interested in the process that you are doing. I figured there was probably a way but could not figure out how to go about it. Anyway, thank you and if you would explain your process I would really find it interesting. Take care, Jim
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
LA7flier

LA7, I woulds be grateful for that. I am also interested in the process that you are doing. I figured there was probably a way but could not figure out how to go about it. Anyway, thank you and if you would explain your process I would really find it interesting. Take care, Jim
No problem. I will try to take a couple of pics to help you visualize the process but basically, I start with some balsa formers which define the overall shape. I join them using three 1/4 inch square balsa sticks which defines the overall length. Once I am content and make sure it will fit the fuselage, I fill in the area between the balsa formers with florists foam which sands extremely easily. Once I have the overall look, I glass with a couple of layers of 2 oz cloth and epoxy resin. After that dries, I smear the whole thing with "mud" which is nothing but wallboard mud. It sands easily and most will be sanded off anyway. A final coat of epoxy, a few coats of sandable primer with sanding in between and once I have a glass smooth finish, I will pull the canopy with my vacuform machine. I am debating whether I want to add all the framing to the plug or leave it plain...the plane is not really even stand-off scale accurate so I don't see much sense it really detailing the canopy but we'll see...I'll try to post a pic or two today (once I am done with the "honey-do's")
Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 PM
LA7flier

As promised a couple of shots of the Stuka canopy plug. Here is the side and front views with a fresh coat of epoxy. I will probably do some more shaping of the rear section as I am not happy with it quite yet...
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48551.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1274786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28508.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1274787  
Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
funkymeter2003

VERY cool, thanks for the pics, I was having a hard time visualizing what you were doing but the pics made it much clearer. Thanks again, Jim
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
transmission_doctor
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,

Where do you get the plastic sheets that you use for vacuforming?

Jerry
Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Warbird Nut

Great planes Stuka Canopy. Buy it now price is $6.29

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Planes-CAN...item35a43043a5
Old 10-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Warbird Nut

Tower still carries the canopy for $6.29 even though the arf is discontinued.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZZ92&P=0
Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 PM
funkymeter2003

Warbird, thanks for the heads up on that, I had actually just purchased one from e-bay right before I saw the thread back up. I had ordered one from Tower and they said it was gone and that was it, checked the website right after and it said out of stock and discontinued but they must have dusted some off from in the backroom!