Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build

Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Charlie, Sorry for the stoppage. I still have the AD-5 on my build table and plan to get on it this winter. Been knocking out a lot of other projects, just not models. I to had to search for the thread.
Thanks for the new web link: www.kelloggplans.net

Steve
Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Originally Posted by SBDdauntless
Hi Warbirder

Happy Thanksgiving!

I finally did it cleaned the work bench and put the Skyraider back on the bench. I had a few mishaps with the center section...like a couple of thing may have fallen through the top sheeting. But they are all fixed and recovered with glass. The next thing I am going to do is something Charlie did on his aileron linkage. I need to place more wire guides to make sure they don't flex. I really hope to have her finished for the spring....well at least that my goal. RIGHT!
SBD, Hope all is well. Have you made any progress since we last spoke? Like your last post; my plane, well wing is still on the table. Hope to make progress this winter. Hope to see your plane on the thread soon.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
SBDdauntless
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been at a standstill. I probably cleaned that bench five more times. I have the fuselage on the table. Trying to get the canopies to be separate from each other. Hope all is well with you and your family. Going flying tomorrow with Charlie. Taking the SBD for a ride. Hope to get it in the air.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM
WARBIRDRCER

SBD and Charlie,

A major event has taken place!

My flying and building buddy RCRPBuilder has taken on the fuselage build of the AD-5. For those of you that have read the L-19 Bird dog, the T-50 Bobcat, and the P-40 & Spitfire Brotherhood threads; you will know this guy build fast. It is my duty to finish the center section prior to his needs, and then complete the wing for glass. I am now thrust into building because it won't take him long to be waiting on me. I will kepp you posted in the future.

Thanks RPRCBuilder!!

Steve
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM
WARBIRDRCER

RPRCBuilder is on the move. More to follow soon.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 PM
WARBIRDRCER

9-12-13 Update
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now let's see that wing! Ray is not going to slow down, so you better get building, Steve!!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
WARBIRDRCER

I know, he hit me up today at the field for the center section. By the way, I had him flying today again. Then I flew with his son-in-law and 8 year old grandson on the buddy box. Both sound as if they may learn to fly with us.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM
SBDdauntless

Nice. How far are you? any photos. I really need a jump start. Charlie has offered I just need the time. Going crazy caring for my parents.
Fran
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
P51NUT

wow!, It may fly sometime next year than. tell Ray I say hi and as always his work looks great

Jason
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM
butlern

P51NUT? I thought you were more of a P-47NUT.

Get back here safe and sound and quickly, Jason.

All the best,

Noah
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Hello Jason and Noah,

Jason I see you received the link I sent you for this thread. Ray is doing fine, and the AD-5 is starting to look like a plane now. Next time at the field I will take some updated photos of the upgrades that have been made. Ray, Gary, Little Guy, and I completed the smoothing and planting process on the runway extention, and we moved the shade structure and pilot station south.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
butlern

Looking good!!!

Noah
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 AM
P51NUT

Hi all

Hay Noah I do like P51s and I am plane-nuts so it fits. Have you had any luck getting your 7F7 back together.
Steve it sound like you and your little helper have been hard at work on improving the field, I am exceeded to see the field when i get back, it should make it even better than it was.

Jason
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM
georgewaldrop
My Feedback: (28)

You guys may be interested to know that I [when I went looking for Charlies site to check out some plans] found that Charlies site now shows to have been suspended. I did a Google search and found this article...

http://www.theintell.com/obituaries/...9963196d9.html

Unfortunately for all of us who thought much of Charlie and his great plans, Charlie passed from this life earlier this week. The Article linked above gives a few details...

Many of us who never met him, but felt like we knew him from all the discussions and build threads of his plans, will have forever missed an opportunity of further interaction with him. He was always interested in and helpful anyone's build of his designs. Another great designer and modeler has departed the fix.

Fair Winds and Blue Skies Charlie, you will be missed.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 AM
SBDdauntless

With deep sorrow I share the news of the passing of Charlie Kellogg on the November 13, 2013. Charlie and I became friends on the flying field over 24 years ago and we spent many hours flying and building airplanes. The worst thing Charlie did was take me to the basement and introduce me to giant scale warbirds. We would go to many fun flys and the biggest challenge he had was packing the cars. I swear he could fit 5 planes with wings, a tent, chairs and lunch in the back of his minivan. Charlie’s attention to detail was above and beyond all others. Every warbird had to be historically correct and I thank him for teaching me this lesson. Charlie was the go to guy for plane problems. He invariably had a better way to do something. He was also the one that many pilots turned to for their maiden flights. As I look back on the hours we spent together on his favorite hobby, it is clear that this was more than just a fun thing to do. For him, it was a huge part of his life and will be his legacy. He has left his mark in the best way possible. He was my mentor, support and most of all my best friend. If you need anything for the Skyraider feel free to ask me and I will try to help.

Fly high,
Fran (SBD5)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charlie

Fran,
Please pass along my condolences to his family. He was truely a gentleman who embodied the brotherhood of RC modelrs everywhere

Larry

Originally Posted by SBDdauntless
With deep sorrow I share the news of the passing of Charlie Kellogg on the November 13, 2013. Charlie and I became friends on the flying field over 24 years ago and we spent many hours flying and building airplanes. The worst thing Charlie did was take me to the basement and introduce me to giant scale warbirds. We would go to many fun flys and the biggest challenge he had was packing the cars. I swear he could fit 5 planes with wings, a tent, chairs and lunch in the back of his minivan. Charlie’s attention to detail was above and beyond all others. Every warbird had to be historically correct and I thank him for teaching me this lesson. Charlie was the go to guy for plane problems. He invariably had a better way to do something. He was also the one that many pilots turned to for their maiden flights. As I look back on the hours we spent together on his favorite hobby, it is clear that this was more than just a fun thing to do. For him, it was a huge part of his life and will be his legacy. He has left his mark in the best way possible. He was my mentor, support and most of all my best friend. If you need anything for the Skyraider feel free to ask me and I will try to help.

Fly high,
Fran (SBD5)
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Fran,

I just read your message. I am sorry to hear of the loss of such a good friend to you, and a loss to our hobby. Charlie was a great designer and builder which were proven by his plans and operational aircraft.

Steve
Old 11-23-2013, 03:53 PM
WARBIRDRCER

AD-5 Update.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Here is a link to Charlies first flight of his first AD-5 Skyraider thread here on RCU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGfmvqeP6g

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...skyraider.html

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 12-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM
WARBIRDRCER

AD-5 Build update:

RCRPBuilder is really making progress.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
SBDdauntless

Holy crap, I'll never be able to catch up! Need more time playing and less time working!
Fra
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fran
you'll catch up maybe after warbird finishes and watches the maiden flight. I'm still trying to finish the wing on the Trojan.
beautiful workmanship though

LarryLarry
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Thanks guys,

Wish I had more time to build too like my RC friends Ray and Maser. I like Maser's famous quote to me; "If it is not a model and it has to be done, I will pay someone to do it". Just don't ask him to do something after 5 PM on Fridays.

I see you reading this Boyd, get back to work on the L-4, and when can I fly the T-28? I need to practice with a big warbird with a nose wheel prior to flying the AD-5 without one. Maybe you or Noah can put the first flight on it for me.

Anyhow, if it were not for Ray the AD-5 among other aircraft would still be sitting on my build table or in the shop. Ray is a great builder, and every time I get the chance to visit him I am always impressed with his progress.

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 12-10-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Progress Report:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.