Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New 50CC Gasoline Engine from O.S. !!

Sorry, But I don't share the optimism about electrics taking over the hobby. Not for quite some time to come. Popularity is increasing, but electrics have a long ways to go. Sure, powerwise they can equal glow or gassers, but an 8 or 10-minute flight is too short for me. Same with the flammable, exploding, fragile, delicate batteries. More advancements are sure to come, and that's good, because they are much-needed.
    Nope. For now, gassers will supplant the larger glows to a much greater extent than electrics will, and gassers will be much closer to an apples-for-apples substitution.

I look forward to the time when electrics are fully viable in all the ways I listed.

Jimbo

Coming toward you, rightside up or upside down, the low wing gets the stick. That's the LAW, and it never changes, EVER.
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS has always made engines of better quality, fit and finish than anyone else and they...this is importatnt...run as good as they look..

I have a couple of Chinese gassers and they are disapointing in finish and materials,let alone excess vibration.

I would definitely pay more for OS quality. The carb and velocity stack alone looks like its worth 150.00 bucks.

Time will soon tell if this is a good engine or not. If it has good power and smooth running charateristics it will sell well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like Saitos better, but I agree that O.S. is one of the best out there. More importantly, it doesn't run on batteries (except for spark voltage).

If you're going to switch to gas, it's nice to have upper-end options.

Jimbo

Coming toward you, rightside-up or upside-down, the low wing gets the stick. That's the LAW, and it never changes, EVER.
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not a fan of electrics, but I have seen the fact that electrics are more or less dominating the hobby. Take a look at the current ARF's. A very large percentage of them are electric...

I don't think they are going to "take the hobby over", as electrics will never be able to do what a 50cc gas can do, let alone a 150cc gas twin can do for even 5x the cost... however I would say in the next two years, electrics will own more than 75% of the RC market under .60 size...

And I totally agree an 8-10 minute flight is far too short, however, take for example my smaller fokker, on a 2200 3C battery, I easily get 15 minutes out of it. Which is about 2x what I got out of a similar sized glow.

We can also talk about fragile and explosive glow fuel and gasoline.

Larger glows are all but dead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Electrics dominating the hobby? Less, not more.

Lots of people trying them, and maybe a small handful are selling off their glows, most of the rest are keeping their glows. Newbies and apartment dwellers will find an advantage with electrics, stay small and start and finish with electrics, due to convenience factor flying. One of my friends does that.

I give it at MOST .....40% after two more years. Too many giants and gassers out there moving in now. This hobby has always had a bigger-is-better push, nothing has changed. I'm probably one of a very few guys who went smaller and got out of the big gassers. Everybody else wants bigger-bigger-bigger.

If I had a glow that got 7 minutes in a model, that model would be gone right away. I'd consider it a poorly planned setup to get such poor results, and I cannot remember any of my friends having an 8 minute flight time on any of their models. All of my glows (Saitos) get 25 to 35 minutes on a tank, except my 15-pound Waco with a Saito 150, which gets about 17 minutes. My timer is set for 15 on that one. Nothing special about those setups, and I fly HARD.

I've never seen a glow model burn. I have seen a gasser burn, but I've never seen EITHER just spontaneously burst into flames, which would be really cool..... but I've seen many, many electrics burn..... on the bench, on the charger, at the field, in the air.....wherever their batteries are is where they'll burn.....POOF...and it's on fire (yes, spontaneously burst into flames). Undesirable at any speed, in my opinion.

Larger glows....are like having a 4-wheel drive truck.....expensive as all getout. Unfortunately for me, one of the cylinders in my radial isn't faux, it's a Saito 150, and I'll be keeping that one.

Now, I DID think that electrics might be promising in something like Pylon racing heats, if they can exceed the speeds of the glows.

But gassers are now (without trying) as big a part of the future as electrics have for a long time tried to be. The economics are the engineers of the gasser revolution here. The high prices of glow has made the gasser the longer-lasting battery here. Electrics may appear to be the horse that's pulling ahead, but the gasser is a real contender under the present economic conditions, especially when coupled with the increase in the giants.. They're taking a bigger bite out of the market every day.

Jimbo

Coming toward you, rightside-up or upside-down, the low wing gets the stick. That's the LAW, and it never changes, EVER.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Folks, let's try to keep this thread on topic. "New 50CC Gasoline Engine from O.S.", remember?
    -Stu

Moderator Marketplace, Warbirds & Warplanes
    Jersey Coast Sport Flyers, Treasurer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Believe it or not, that's what I was trying to do. The big gassers (Like this O.S. 50CC) are up and coming in the industry. Electric guys jump into a fuelie thread because they think they have the answer for everything. I fly gas and glow only, and have never found electric to be truly viable.

Gassers are the wave of the future, the old has now become the new, as so often happens these days. Me, I'm quite interested in seeing how well-received this 50CC is, I think it shows a lot of promise. I think the price is another issue.

Jimbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Um, I'm not an eletric guy at all...

Looking around my collection I see a DLE55, a DL50, a Zenoah GT80, a G62, two G38's and a brand new, still in the box G23, a Homelite 25cc. I see exactly two electrics, both in small BARF's...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stepping back, Stu.

Jimbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does someone know the weight?
    Kenobi - I think we lost something.
    Skywalker - Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so whens this engine coming to the for sale market ? has anyone heard of any dates a person can buy one of these yet ?

I wouldnt say electrics are taking over the hobby by any means.....but I will say they have made a big dent in the hobby! I dont know of any gas or glow engines that can run a 4+ bladed prop with out a gear reduction and even then they still have very little power with a 4 blade........or look at EDFs and the power they make! hhmmmm seems they do better then the old school glow ducted fans. I will also say I think for what electric power is I think its WAY over priced!
    WFO Ultimate\'\'s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

due at tower hobbies late feb., looks good to me, the stroke is longer than the da-50 which means a lot of power! I will bet it is going to be a smooth runner as well.
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

most of the electrics are small planes, not adequate for the larger planes needing a lot of power. yes you can invest 700 dollars in batteries and motors but only a few are willing to make that investment. batteries come and go but a big gasser will be around for a long time.
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: n8622t

most of the electrics are small planes, not adequate for the larger planes needing a lot of power. yes you can invest 700 dollars in batteries and motors but only a few are willing to make that investment. batteries come and go but a big gasser will be around for a long time.

Check out the power plants the Pattern guys are using now. Their airplanes aren't park flyer size, nor IMAC size, but are appreciably larger than your usual weekend flyer's Stick, Tiger, or Nexstar. At the last couple of pattern contests at the field A BUNCH of those birds were powered with batteries. It appears there are $85 batteries available now. The guys were discussing what batteries used to cost and how the prices have fluctuated on the way down. It sounded like they were in the $800s to begin with, were around half that with the first drop, were in the $200s awhile and now there are a couple of places selling them under $100. A number of the guys still flying the 4cycles seemed to be really interested. More than one was taking notes.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good point, Rock.
    Interestingly enough, Electric is a good fit for pattern, as weight plays a big part in their stability. They can load up with batteries to some extent, and adjust the aerodynamics to fit the weight. In the past, depending on what has been needed, they adjusted the aerodynamics to help slow the plane down and also adjusted whatever they could to not be affected by wind. They have very specific needs from their planes' performance. Plus, their flights are of limited (even precise) times. So, yes, in their case, electrics seem to be a viable option, as their factors, which otherwise are factors of limitation, not only fit but actually enhance the scenario.

Pattern has always been too much work and not enough play for me. These gassers are great little engines, and to tell the truth, I've been waiting 20 years for really good gassers to start coming into their own in our hobby. So I follow these threads about the new varieties of gassers with great interest.
    Jimbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot
    Pattern has always been too much work and not enough play for me. *These gassers are great little engines, and to tell the truth, I've been waiting 20 years for really good gassers to start coming into their own in our hobby. *So I follow these threads about the new varieties of gassers with great interest.
    I'd like to see more small gassers. That area could use some development BIG TIME. Well, maybe that area could use some LITTLE TIME development, as they're way overweight for their power output. The 100, 150, 150+ engines suit their airframes as to their weight. The little gas engines don't come close.

A current thread about a 60-90 size ARF has some posts in it praising how the airplane does with small gas engines in it. That really is suspect because the few who've mentioned the all up weights admitted tonnage that's about 2X the weight the sucker comes in with a glow engine in the nose. No way those lumps are going to be as good with all that dead weight. And it's dead weight because the "little" gassers don't produce comparable power either. You can get almost 3hp out of a 90 that weighs what most 60s weigh.

They've got some developing to do. Good thing is that OS is now in the market and they will certainly understand the situation and have the budget to do the development. Anybody who sells a quarter of a million engines a year is going to have some horsepower of their own.... and the experience to succeed if they choose.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

small gassers are the future. OS will catch up and perhaps pass Saito in user-friendly small gasoline engines.
    Saito Club Member #578
    P-40 Brotherhood #62

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234