RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Finally managed to get a base coat of paint on my Hellcat wing. Normally I would use silver but this time I decided to use an approximation of Zinc Chromate primer as would have been used on the full size Hellcat. I am now ready to burn the flush rivets into this base coat of paint and then it will be on to the color coats. I hope to start panel lines on the fuselage in the next few days so that it too can be base coated. Slow but sure!

The fabric covered aileron and flap were left in gray primer as these would not have been painted Zinc on the full size. These areas were not steel wooled very much either but rather left a bit rough in the hopes that they will have a slightly different texture, as well as color, once the finished paint is applied.

Here is a close up of the simulated pinking tapes on the aileron as well.

Sorry for the picture quality by the way. It was bit dark in the shop. I will get some better pics out in the sunlight when I start burning rivets.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a quick update to let you guys know the YS 1.40 powered Hellcat racer has been flown. I did not see the flight unfortunately as I was about a mile out in the desert looking for the mortal remains of my TF P-40 at the time. Robert reports that he is pleased with the Hellcat's performance on its' first flight and that it was well behaved and handled nicely. It was not without incident however as Robert discovered the gear would not extend for landing. Unfortunately he discovered this just seconds after the engine quit due to fuel exhaustion! The belly landing resulted in some cosmetic damage to the cowl, belly pan, and one wing tip but nothing that is not easily repaired. I don't think anyone was shooting pics or video but I will try and get some the next time out which, if I know Robert, will be very soon.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did you guys fly ? camera is ready
Joe
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What happened to your P40?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: uncljoe
Where did you guys fly ? camera is ready
Joe
We were out at SVF Joe. Tighe told me later that you were there but I never saw you. Robert's Hellcat was all black if you happened to see it (or shoot it) during the course of the day.

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot
What happened to your P40?
Not 100% certain but I think either the switch or battery pack connection came loose or the switch vibrated to the off position, which does not seem plausible. At any rate, I was breaking for landing when the radio signed off completely. It speaks volumes for the stability of the P-40 that it continued to fly all by itself for at least 5 or 6 minutes, circling and climbing completely out of sight. For what ever reason it finally destabilised, dropped into a vertical dive and came down about a mile from the field. (Very little wind yesterday thank goodness or it may have ended up in the next county!) Needless to say their was very little left to be salvaged. My brother and I have ordered the big TF P-40 so I guess I'll get to try my luck with that one in a few months.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear that Chad Get back up on the horse man!

Chad tell me this if you know,... on Ty's RCGF 20cc engine, do you know what rpms he was turning and with what prop?
The reason I ask this is I "finally" got my engine bolted to the test stand and after a few short minute runs, this evening I tached 8450 rpms using a Dynathrust 15x6 prop. Now I dont know for sure , but I would say thats pretty decent for a little 20cc gasser on its second or third running session on the test stand ? Yours or anyone else's thoughts are welcome. I cant imagine what a 14 inch prop would do, I could only estimate about 9k maybe, maybe not? The prop range is from 14x6 to 16x8 on this engine.
Thanks,
John
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey John,
I am still around just crazy busy. but i saw this and wanted to answer. Henry at RC Aero told me to break in the motor with 32:1 high grade two stroke oil. he also told me to break it in with its recomended prop of 16X8. i had an old Moki prop around so this is what i used. first run was about what you are getting little lower like 7800 8000 i ran the engine for a total of 5 minutes. henry really advised me "not to fly the bench". as i finished working on it i did run the engine about 5 time for roughly 5 to 10 minutes. the day we attempted to fly it it was running about 8900 rpm. the engine was starting to break-in now another guy i know bought one from another source and told me it was not as strong i dont know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu59602.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1446600  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
uncljoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chad
Boy I sure wish Tighe would have come down to see me. I've been busy trying to sort out our (SVF) jet issue

[&o]
Joe
BTW I also just might have the U Bird for you to check out.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I've finally managed to get the construction gallery completed for the outer wing panels. See link below. Past experience told me that doing a step-by-step set of building instructions was going to be time consuming but I REALLY underestimated just how time consuming. I can tell you without hesitation why many kits and ARF's come with such poor instruction manuals! I will probably have nearly as much time invested in the instructions as I do in the design and build of the airplane istelf. Considering the small number of kits sold it seems hardly worth the effort but I will see it through as the finished product will, hopefully, be a worthwhile resource for guys whether they are building this particular airplane or some other.

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/panel.html

I am nearly finished riveting the wing at this point and am making some progress on the fuselage details as well. Sorry again for the lousy pics. I will get some better ones out in the sunlight as soon as I can remember to take my camera with me out to the shop during the daytime. The rivets on the wing are being done using the brass tube/soldering gun method which I will cover in detail on the web site. The fuse rivets will be a mixture of raised and flush which will give opportunity to show my methods for doing both types. Please note that no attempt was made to duplicate all the rivets on the wing. I've only added the ones along the panel lines and even those are larger than scale and spaced further apart. The intention is to give the appearance of a metal airframe rather than a smooth plastic toy but I have no desire to spend a hundred hours riveting what is supposed to be a sport flyer.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Sharpeye22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

hopefully, be a worthwhile resource for guys whether they are building this particular airplane or some other.

Please note that no attempt was made to duplicate all the rivets on the wing. I've only added the ones along the panel lines and even those are larger than scale and spaced further apart. The intention is to give the appearance of a metal airframe rather than a smooth plastic toy but I have no desire to spend a hundred hours riveting what is supposed to be a sport flyer.
Ifor one will be using your build instructions for a very long time as a valuable resource in my building efforts.

As for the rivits I agree. It is these sport flyiers that I try to get to look scale that I improve my scale building skills and one day Imight just believe myself worth to enter a scale compotision. At any rate the look of my planes please me if they (though not true scale) look the part. Besides I relish the comments I get at the Flying field.

So please keep up the great work.

Larry
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
cold_reboot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After much deliberation I've come to the conclusion that you should design a 80+ inch ws P40 kit to replace the top flite you recently lost. Your P40 would have wanted it that way.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
raptureboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow Chad I for one am still amazed at the work your doing and it inspires me to get back to work on my Hellcat bash and I may still buy one of your kits just to have another great airplane. You can never have enough cats! Hellcats that is. Have you thoght of scaling it up to say 1/5th
Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the encouragement Larry and raptureboy, I'll keep moving forward.

Raptureboy, I may do the Hellcat again at 1/7 scale which would be about 73 inches span. Any bigger and you've got plenty of choices out there already, ie, Bates, Smith, Ziroli, Don Lien, etc.

After much deliberation I've come to the conclusion that you should design a 80+ inch ws P40 kit to replace the top flite you recently lost. Your P40 would have wanted it that way.
This is a bold faced lie cold_reboot! You did not have to deliberate hardly at all to come to that conclusion! I've got a very nice set of Yellow P-40 retracts just waiting for me to have the time to draw up an airframe to go with them. Maybe a P-40B/C or possibly an N just because I think it would be the best flyer. (And their are some great N model paint jobs) I will probably go to a full 1/5 scale, around 89 inches, rather than match the 86 inches of the Yellow kit. Not sure why they chose the odd scale.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
cold_reboot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sign me up for the P40 kit...and the Dora too when you get around to it. Who needs a Top Flite ARF when you have Chad. Now get to drawin Boy-O.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Thanks for the encouragement Larry and raptureboy, I'll keep moving forward.

Raptureboy, I may do the Hellcat again at 1/7 scale which would be about 73 inches span. Any bigger and you've got plenty of choices out there already, ie, Bates, Smith, Ziroli, Don Lien, etc.

This is a bold faced lie cold_reboot! You did not have to deliberate hardly at all to come to that conclusion! I've got a very nice set of Yellow P-40 retracts just waiting for me to have the time to draw up an airframe to go with them. Maybe a P-40B/C or possibly an N just because I think it would be the best flyer. (And their are some great N model paint jobs) I will probably go to a full 1/5 scale, around 89 inches, rather than match the 86 inches of the Yellow kit. Not sure why they chose the odd scale.
Hey Chad how about looking at the "M" model. It is kind of the best of both worlds. Has an "E" cockpit/canopy but is an "N" in the tail. Looks like an "E" but flies like a "N". Put that at 1/5th scale and you can count me in for sure. I have a couple of friends that like that idea also. Never understood why no one ever modeled it. Would of been a better option for Skyshark I think.

Glad to see paint getting closer on the F6F
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chad , where did you get the zink cromate primer? your craftsmanship is just beautiful , these threads are
fantastic .
Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will certainly consider the P-40M Randy when the time comes to get serious about drawing up a Warhawk. Sure wish I didn't have to spend 1/3 of my life sleeping, I'd get a lot more airplanes done that way!

Thanks for the compliment WhiteRook. The Zinc is just Butyrate dope that I mixed up using the TLAR method, Cub Yellow with a tad of Dark Green thrown in.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a little better pic of the surface detail on the wing. I have "streaked" the wing with a wash of very thin black paint in an attempt at a bit of pre-weathering. Normally I would do this after the final paint had been applied (to a lesser degree than seen here) in order to dirty up the surface and highlight the surface detail. In this case I've decided to try doing the streaking under the finish coats of paint which I will apply in multiple thin layers until I achieve the desired level of coverage. We'll see how it works! I can always go back and do it again after painting if it all disappears under the finish coats. Because my airplane will be finished as a target drone, most of which were not particularly well cared for, I will be attempting a bit more weathering on the Hellcat than I normally do.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Managed to get about 90% of the overlapped panel lines on the fuselage of the Hellcat over the last few days. All panels forward of the cockpit and those on the horizontal stab are flush and I hope to have those done in the next day or two. After that I will start the raised rivets. With any luck this thing will be ready for the base coat of Zinc in the next week or so.

A bit of a "patchwork" appearance at this stage.

Much better with a coat of primer over them!

Here is what the finished overlapped panel lines and raised rivets look like on my T-6. Same exact procedure as I'm using on the Hellcat.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
uncljoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome Work , Chad !!!! [8D] looking forward to seeing it finished.
Joe
Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: uncljoe
Awesome Work , Chad !!!! [8D] looking forward to seeing it finished.
Joe
Thanks Joe, looking forward to having it done!!! (Understatement) If all goes as planned I will have the Hellcat, the Texan, and possibly a third project my brother and I are working on all ready for maiden flights by the time good flying weather returns. I'd love to have you photograph them all when the time comes.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
p 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[X(][X(][X(][X(][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: p 40
[X(][X(][X(][X(][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Thanks Gianluca!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
John in Boston
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OMG Chad - these Hellcats are all coming out so beautifully !!!
More people need to know about this incredible design, kit engineering, and soup-to-nuts tutorial project !!! You put so much into this, and now that the first birds are finished and flying, word's gonna get out. These planes are just too cool!
As for me, I vowed to finish at least ONE of my projects before buying yet another kit, but man you keep killin' me here with all this beautiful attention to detail. Resistance is futile, Rood. (Maybe my wife really just wanted a Hellcat for her birthday?)
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
John in Boston
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not your intention, Chad, but for me this photo TOTALLY  brings back a million memories of degreasing 1:1 scale cowls and belly pans !!!   Your pre-weathering here combines with the underlying color tone to flash me back to many an hour in the pits of life in an FBO.   I can smell the fumes now!   Yeah man - NOT GLAMOUROUS WORK, and that's putting it in words rated "G for General Audiences".  

Your work here is amazing.  And they call this SPORT scale?  Hah they crazy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service