Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Wilkar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Hi guys, My name is William and I am building one of Chads Hellcat. ust wanted to drop a line and let you guys know i will be using your tips and advice as i build. Thanks and have a good day.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

William, welcome aboard! Post as many pictures as you can
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for checking in William and welcome aboard. Please do keep us posted on the construction of your Hellcat and I hope you enjoy the process.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Wilkar

Well guys, i have started my build. Everything is going good. I have a few ruff spots but nothing microballons cant mend. I am enjoying doing this build.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Wilkar

Oh yea whats the best way to upload pics.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Wilkar
Oh yea whats the best way to upload pics.
You can upload directly by using the "reply" option at the top of each post and then the "Click here to upload images and files" link at the bottom of the reply box. You can't do this with the "Fast Reply" option at the bottom of each page by the way. Instead you have to click the "reply" link at the top of each post. The other option is to set yourself up with a free photobucket account, upload your photos there, and then direct link to them in your post. I prefer the latter option but that's just me. If all else fails you can send them to me and I will be glad to post them for you. Look forward to seeing the pics and glad to hear all is going well.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Wilkar

[img]<a href=[/img]" />
Old 05-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Chad Veich

Looks like you're making quick work of it William. Keep the pics coming!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Wilkar

moving right along. going to try an idea i have for the elevator hinges will post pic of it .[img]<a href=[/img]" />
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Chad Veich

I can only see the last picture William, anybody else see them all? Just wondering if it's an issue on my end of the connection.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Sharpeye22

Same here only the last picture
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Wilkar

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Wilkar

hope you guys can see these pics.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

William
I for one love to see innovation. However I will tell you from experience keep the tail light. After all the things I added to mine and a little heave wit paint I had t add a lot of nose weight. I wont tell you how much. Regardless keeping the setup you have you are running a real risk. Of losing the elevatorssoildee some flat brass to the tube and insert that into the stab and pin it. This will reduce the likelyhood of the elevator pulling of in flight
Keep up the good. Work nice to see this project continue
Tighe
Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Wilkar

Thanks for advice, I will make sure to pin it down. I will countinue to post pics, so keep advice and tips coming. Also if you guys got any pics of flaps and ya constucted it would love to see them.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry for the mistakes in wording I sent it from my phone
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Chad Veich

William,

I have a bunch of pics of the flap construction that I've been taking to add to the web site. Sorry I don't have those instructions completed yet. I will try and get that part of the web site done over the next week or so. Will that be soon enough? It is best to get the center section and both outer wing panels framed up and then add the flaps before joining the sections together. If you will be ready to add the flaps before I can get the web site updated then I would be happy to send you the pics via email and walk you through the process as best I can. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Wilkar

no hurry Chad, i will just keep check for it when you post it, waiting on my retract gear. I have been enjoying building my hellcat. I have also found a rc club near by. Its the midflrcclub by Kermits place. really nice guys there.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Chad Veich

William,

I have finally started on the build page for the flaps. Not a great deal to show yet but I will be expanding it as quickly as I can. Hopefully I can stay ahead of you!

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/flaps.html

I also wanted to report that I finally test flew the Hangar9 Hellcat with the RCV .90SP. Thus far I am not overly impressed with the engine but that is based upon only 3 flights and I am still very much in the testing stage. I had a very hard time getting a good needle setting on the RCV. It wants to run either rich or lean but I could not find the "sweet spot" in the middle. Also, it shows an extreme lack of power but that could be the prop I'm running. (15.75" 3 blader) Next time out I will be flying with the recommended 18" 2-blader and hopefully that will provide a substantial increase in thrust. Right now the engine is just barely adequate to pull around the H9 airplane which is at least a pound lighter than my Hellcat and maybe closer to 2 pounds. If it won't pull around the H9 bird it certainly is not going to be sufficient for mine. I'll keep you guys informed but, at this time, my plan is to move forward with finishing my airplane with the .91FX since it is a drop in fit. I can always mount the RCV in it later. Onward and upward!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad, I would put in a DLE-20 gas engine a direct fit for the OS 120 or 90. It's beam mounted and I have one in my 1/5 sterman at 15lbs and it hauls, vertical is impressive for a biplane. And the best part it flys over 15 min on 6-7 oz of gas. I'll be putting one in both my CMP Hellcat and my TF P-47
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
Chad, I would put in a DLE-20 gas engine a direct fit for the OS 120 or 90. It's beam mounted and I have one in my 1/5 sterman at 15lbs and it hauls, vertical is impressive for a biplane. And the best part it flys over 15 min on 6-7 oz of gas. I'll be putting one in both my CMP Hellcat and my TF P-47
I'd love to raptureboy but the dollars just are not there right at the moment. Maybe I'll sell some stuff. Hmmm...
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I here ya. Too much stuff thats my problem too. I got my engine from tower with a $40 off coupon and free shipping and bill me later
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Chad Veich

More work done on the flap construction page.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Chad Veich

Yet more work on the flap construction page.

I'm also nearing completion of the landing gear installation on my prototype. Look for some pics of the finished and functional retracts and gear doors very soon.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Chad Veich

Got all the gear doors installed and working on one side and the other side is close to finished. Remember that this is a sport scale airplane so don't look too close! Actually, I may go back and revisit the gear doors at a later time. With some more time spent on the rigging they could fit better although, to be honest, they will never be perfect due to the slop present in the Robart retract units. For now I'm just going to call it good and get the airplane flying. I also did a weight check today and it looks like I will be somewhere between 10 3/4 and 11 pounds which I am quite happy with. The wing is about 99% finished at this point so work will start on the fuse very soon. I need to finish the tailwheel installation, re-install the engine and fuel tank, and install the dummy radial. I have found and ordered a 3/4" shaft extension for my OS .91FX so that I can move the engine back far enough to allow me to fit the dummy radial without having to remove large chunks of it. I would rather do that then push the dummy way forward in the cowl which looks wierd to me.

First pic shows the gear retracted with all 3 gear doors installed.

Here is the gear in transit. You can see how the small middle door is fixed to the retract unit and slides back behind the larger upper door as the gear is extended.

Here the gear is fully extended and locked and the middle door is completely hidden behind the upper door. This is all per the full size although, admittedly, mine needs a bit more gap between the doors for clearance to prevent any binding.

Here is a peak underneath the upper door with the gear retracted which shows the wire arm that is connected to the main door and pushes the upper door open as the gear extends. You can also see the spring which is used to hold the upper door closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.