Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Chad, that model is the one you should slap those pylons on! Jeez, why don't you quit sucking me into building one of your glorious birds with awesome pictures!

Oh, and to glazier808, I will be doing larger stuff... any tanks or ordnance I design from now on will be in multiple sizes. Oh, I have a few Hellcat pylon kits if anyone is interested. PM me if interested.
    Firepower R/C
    Saving un-loved R/C airplanes around the world

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chad
    quick question
    when you cut for the flaps how close do they run to the wheel wells only i,ve removed the skins and my cuts are roughly into the wells or will be if i cut the ribs to release the flaps, not sure but i think i might be slightly out somewere, if so think i will go with the basic wing no flaps

thanks
    andy
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #3
    p-51 mustang Brotherhood #27
    Hellcat Brotherhood #25
    P-40 Brotherhood #114
    P-39 Brotherhood #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lightning 759
    Hi Chad
    quick question
    when you cut for the flaps how close do they run to the wheel wells only i,ve removed the skins and my cuts are roughly into the wells or will be if i cut the ribs to release the flaps, not sure but i think i might be slightly out somewere, if so think i will go with the basic wing no flaps

thanks
    andy
    Oh Crap! I had not even considered this yet Andy! On the full size Hellcat the wheel well opens up all the way to the leading edge of the flap. On my #2 airplane I have the flaps done and hinged but have not yet cut out for the wheel wells and, upon inspection of the plans, it is obvious that if they are opened up to the scale amount there will be nothing left to carry the hinges. Doh! Normally I do not offer a plan until I have had the time to prototype it and prove it and this is why. I'm not smart enough to see in all the dark corners! I will spend some time out in the shop today and see if I can figure out a solution Andy. Please bear with me and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: lightning 759
    Hi Chad
    quick question

thanks
    andy
    Oh Crap! I had not even considered this yet Andy! On the full size Hellcat the wheel well opens up all the way to the leading edge of the flap. On my #2 airplane I have the flaps done and hinged but have not yet cut out for the wheel wells and, upon inspection of the plans, it is obvious that if they are opened up to the scale amount there will be nothing left to carry the hinges. Doh! Normally I do not offer a plan until I have had the time to prototype it and prove it and this is why. I'm not smart enough to see in all the dark corners! I will spend some time out in the shop today and see if I can figure out a solution Andy. Please bear with me and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Hi Chad
    No worries i,m not the worlds best builder i,ve probly still done something wrong ,im away for a couple days so no rush

Andy
    Hellcat Brotherhood #25
    P-40 Brotherhood #114
    P-39 Brotherhood #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy,

The flaps will work as designed, although some minor concessions to scale will have to be made. Nothing that I think is going to be too noticeable on this sport scale model however. And I hate to beat a dead horse but I flew my Hellcat two more times this past Monday, including some slow flight testing, and I will reiterate my opinion that flaps are uneccessary on this model if kept relatively light. Even my nearly 12 pound prototype slows down well and shows absolutely no tendency to drop a wing unless really horsed around at slow speed. In a completely power off, full up elevator slow flight situation the airplane can be steered around with rudder and will simply mush forward without tip stalling. With flaps this thing will probably land like the proverbial butterfly with sore feet!

I will try and get my flaps wrapped up ASAP so I can update the web site to show the process.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy,

The flaps will work as designed, although some minor concessions to scale will have to be made. Nothing that I think is going to be too noticeable on this sport scale model however. And I hate to beat a dead horse but I flew my Hellcat two more times this past Monday, including some slow flight testing, and I will reiterate my opinion that flaps are uneccessary on this model if kept relatively light. Even my nearly 12 pound prototype slows down well and shows absolutely no tendency to drop a wing unless really horsed around at slow speed. In a completely power off, full up elevator slow flight situation the airplane can be steered around with rudder and will simply mush forward without tip stalling. With flaps this thing will probably land like the proverbial butterfly with sore feet!

I will try and get my flaps wrapped up ASAP so I can update the web site to show the process.
    Hi Chad
    Thanks for the reply must admit i,m swaying towards no flaps after reading your previous posts ,
    will keep you updated
    Andy
    P.s love the photos on the chino thread awresome P40
    Hellcat Brotherhood #25
    P-40 Brotherhood #114
    P-39 Brotherhood #8

Wow Chad...I turn my back for 4 or 5 years and look what I missed! The F6F is the plane that made me fall in love with warbirds when I was 8 years old. I was home from school sick and my Dad brought me a plastic model of a Hellcat (He was a Korean war vet and was based on an Aircraft carrier that was home to a squad of TBFs). It was love at first sight.
    Looks like I missed the short kits huh?
    Greg Reid
    Palmetto, GA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope, Manzano Laser sells the short kits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: G.F. Reid

Wow Chad...I turn my back for 4 or 5 years and look what I missed! The F6F is the plane that made me fall in love with warbirds when I was 8 years old. I was home from school sick and my Dad brought me a plastic model of a Hellcat (He was a Korean war vet and was based on an Aircraft carrier that was home to a squad of TBFs). It was love at first sight.
    Looks like I missed the short kits huh?

Look what the 'cat dragged in! (Bad joke!) Good to hear from you Greg, hope you are doing well. I'm not producing short kits anymore but I'm pretty sure I could come up with one for you if you're not in a huge rush. I've always been a big fan of the Hellcat but never as much as I am right at the moment. Not only does it fly terrific but it has a huge amount of character and lots of potential for eye catching detail. Plans are already under way to build it again at 86 inches (1/6 scale) which can only make it even better. Although I must admit that the 1/8 scale one flies really nice and is a whole bunch easier to lug around and store. Drop me an email if you want to discuss a kit as I may know where to get one. (Other than Manzano I mean)

cvnkv@aol.com

Thanks baldguy. I appreciate that. I'll file it away under 'useful info'...I've got plenty of empty file space there...lol

Chad, I couldn't resist posting to this thread when I discovered it and saw what you were doing. Your Hellcat is absolutely remarkable. It is top notch work....but I'm not surprised with it having come from your shop.
    I'm definitely in no hurry for one. I've been out of the hobby for so long that I've got plenty to keep me busy as I start to ramp up to get back out on the flight line. I haven't even finished the 72" T-Bolt yet...what's that going on now..... 6 or 7 years?
    I'll probably drop you a line or two in the next few days. Great to see you are still going strong!
    Greg Reid
    Palmetto, GA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg, thank you very much for the kind words about the Hellcat. I will be looking forward to your email and getting caught up with what's going on in your shop these days.

John West (Budmo here on RCU) brought out his TF Corsair as well for a photo session and the two look great together. I'm not sure what's left but the Corsair is very close to being ready to test fly as well.

I have now spent the last two days reading this entire thread and want to once again, commend you Chad on a truly remarkable accomplishment. I feel as though we are witnessing the birth of another Nick Ziroli or Roy Vaillancourt! Congratulations Chad.
    I also wanted to mention that I agree wholeheartedly with your observations on the dummy radial engine installation. It just does not look right when it's right up at the cowl opening. I'd rather leave it out than that. It's all these small details that give the impression of the full scale plane...even a sport scale plane...and whatever the subject.

...And lastly, I wanted to commend your flying buddy John West that you just mentioned in the quote above. I've seen a lot of Corsairs in the tri-color scheme. Not only models but full scale planes. They vary quite a lot in technique and color combinations according to the subjective opinion of the painter.
    I'm no expert, have no direct experience with WWII carrier duty... and everyone has an opinion but the plane pictured above just looks RIGHT to me. The very subtle transitions between the upper, side and lower surface colors are just flawless in my humble opinion. Well done.

Greg Reid
    Palmetto, GA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the very kind words Greg. I'm pretty sure you made me blush! The Hellcat project has been a very rewarding one thus far and while it has gone on far longer than I ever anticipated the ride has been an enjoyable one. I hope the web site, once it is completed, will serve as a usefull source of information for many folks far beyond just those that are building this Hellcat. The whole point of the project was to try and entice some guys to build who might not otherwise attempt a project such as this one. I'm happy to say I've spoken to a number of guys for whom this is exactly the case. That is the icing on the cake for me! Now I'm just waiting in anticipation for a few more of them to get completed and flying. Thanks again Greg and I will be in touch soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh wow, thank you very much Greg.

I will be building one of Chad's Hellcats as soon as I get back into building mode.

John or Budmo
    Corsair Brotherhood #65

1/8 Top Flite F4U-1A Build
    1/5 Top Flite P47D Build

Hi Chad,
    I ordered a set of your landing gear doors and I was wondering if you have the vinyl surface details and rivets? On your website it says under development and I was wondering if that had changed.

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Dan,

I've yet to package it all up and put a price on it but all the work is essentially done. Send me a private email and we can discuss it.

cwveich@cwvmodels.com

Regarding construction of Hellcat #2, for those that were following along, that should get underway again very soon. Among other things it has simply been too hot to work out in the garage so progress came to an abrupt halt. Hope to get it back out by the beginning of October.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear Chad. I have been doing mostly flying so not much time for building. I did start my hellcat though, but it is on a door raised to the cealing right now so as not to get any hanger rash.

Larry
    Saito Club #692
    AMA#128736

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ihaveahellcat
    Hi Chad,
    I ordered a set of your landing gear doors and I was wondering if you have the vinyl surface details and rivets? On your website it says under development and I was wondering if that had changed. Dan
    Hi Dan,
    I've yet to package it all up and put a price on it but all the work is essentially done. Send me a private email and we can discuss it.
    cwveich@cwvmodels.com

Chad, is your vinyl surface detail set similar to the one that Mirce has made for the Ziroli Hellcat? I've been talking to him about getting a set along with paint masks for doing the bee-drone scheme on a Z-Cat. I'd love to get the same kind of package for your 1/8 scale kit.

Here is a link to a thread on Mirce's detail sets. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...m.htm#11209965

Basic Blinker Night Flyer Light Controller - Custom RC Electronics - www.wasatch-rc.com
    Current Project - TF P-47D "Bonnie"
    Completed Project - Alien Aircraft Taylorcraft "Pipeline Patrol"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Larry, good to hear you've made a start on your Hellcat. Hope to see some progress shots of it when building season resumes for you.

Hessian123, that's pretty much what I plan to offer for my Hellcat in terms of surface details. I'm working up a price for it as we speak and should know something in a few days. I can do paint masks as well and am planning on offering masks for the stars-n-bars at least.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad, you gotta tell us how you did your exhaust stains and the colors.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro
    Chad, you gotta tell us how you did your exhaust stains and the colors.......
    No black magic here Ram. They are simply airbrushed in layers using three colors, a very dark gray almost black, a lighter gray, and an even lighter tan. I spent a lot of time staring at exhaust stains on Hellcats to get an idea of how the stains formed on the airplane and a lot of time looking at colors on all sorts of different aircraft types. The colors vary considerably depending on a multitude of variables but, as you would expect, the stains themselves form pretty uniformly from one Hellcat to the next. One thing I did notice and try to simulate was the accumulation of staining along the panel lines. Even though the stains may have been wiped off after nearly every flight some staining was left behind in the rivets and panel lines and so these areas tend to have a noticeably darker and streaked appearance. In terms of the actual application I started with the darkest color and applied it over the entire area. Then I over painted with the progressively lighter colors and decreased the area involved. Obviously the heaviest staining is near the exhaust stacks themselves with it gradually decreasing as it moves away from the source. I tend to lean towards the "less is more" approach when it comes to weathering but many pictures show a great deal more. Particularly so the red drone aircraft which I can imagine were not maintained to the highest standards. In regards to the colors I found a huge variation and I would say it would be hard to get it wrong really. About the worst thing you could do though is use straight black and nothing else. Definitely want at least two or three colors in the mix.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks Chad, never conssidered using tan. I use the exhaust color from Model Masters or tamiya paints backed up with some flat black....it never looked as good as yours. Here are a few pics of my 1st attempt and my last attempt.The jemco wildcat was my first scalebuild and then the wing hellcat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70056.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1804271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51824.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1804272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30042.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1804273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Le93428.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1804274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Se46071.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1804275  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xo88671.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	1804276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jl93488.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1804277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gf18659.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1804278  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I remember your Wing Hellcat from another thread Ram, very nice. While I think your exhaust stains would benefit from one or two more shades added in they look good none the less. What I really like though is the subtle changes in color from panel to panel on the blue top sides. That looks great! I also happen to find the early blue/gray over gray color scheme to be very attractive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad, I remember you had some input on this. thanks again. One thing I am learning is that with each scale project I am learning more and more. Each project I try something new. I havent figured out what my ultimate scale project will be yet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing I am learning is that with each scale project I am learning more and more.
    I can relate to that as well Ram. Each time I finish a project I end up with a long list of things that I want to do, or do differently, on the next one. A classic case of the more you learn the more you realize just how much you don't know! As I noted a few pages back I recently purchased one of my Hellcats that was built by a friend for warbird racing. As such it is covered with Monokote and has little in the way of detail. Since I want to keep it light, and not invest a thousand hours in it, I have decided to leave the Monokote and just simply paint over it while adding a few scale details. Just for grins I have decided to make it an expirment in adding detail with paint. Essentially I'm going to just ink on the panel lines and rivets and then use carefull airbrushing to try and make the two dimensional detail appear to be three dimensional. I figure if I can make it look good on this model then I should be able to make it work even better on a model that actually has the surface detail represented in the traditional manner. We'll see if it works or if I end up with something that looks like a cartoon Hellcat!

I havent figured out what my ultimate scale project will be yet
    I have just the opposite problem in that I have at least dozen "ultimate" scale projects in mind. There is one in particular that has been brewing for many years though. I hope I live long enough to get to it!

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast