Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Hello my modelers friends, just to inform you, as you know I have few sets for Ziroli Hellcat, but it can be scale down for this size.

Mirce Finish Set originally have 2 mm rivets, but it can be made to be 1,6 mm. Hope that is not to big for this model. Smaller rivets from that size is problem to be made on vinyl cutter machine...

Paint masc, and Detail Set for Hellcat is no problem to be made for smaller model...

I made new page on my web site, so maybe you can see how it look on Ziroli size F6F... http://www.nsmodelers.rs/home/detail-set-za-ziroli-f6f

Best regards

Mirce
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 AM
ChinookRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not meaning to hijack the thread but how did you do the panels Ram? The variation in color looks great. If there's a build thread I'd appreciate a pointer to it.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the Hellcat. Itwas really an experiment. I used aluminum tape for each panel. Did nt have to do every panel....remember we are all about illusions. The hellcat is paiinte dwith model masters paint...intermediate blue. I would shoot the whole plane in one color and then go back and mask off individual panels and shoot another mixxed shade of intermediate blue, mixxed with white or grey...cant remember which. I never flew the plane, sold it some time ago. I then went back after clear coating it with lustre coat clear and then did the dirty weathering. What is great about that is if you dont like it, it wipes off and you try again. When you get it where you like it...clear it again. Gave it al little depth also. Hopefully this helps some. This is one of my 1st planes I tried all these methods...including some rivit detail so it was a good learning experience.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: ihaveahellcat

I was wondering if you have the vinyl surface details and rivets? On your website it says under development and I was wondering if that had changed.

Dan

For Dan and others who are interested in the vinyl surface details I have worked up a package that includes the hatches, inspection panels, dzus fasteners, rib tapes, and a few other odds and ends. These will be cut from chrome vinyl which will provide opportunity for realistic weathering effects for those who choose to do so. A printed guide for placement of the details as seen below will be provided at half size (1/16 scale) which can also be used as a guide for panel lines. I would be happy to provide this in digital format as well for those who would prefer to have it printed at model scale. While designed specifically for the RCFW Hellcat kit these, of course, could be used on any similar sized Hellcat such as the CMP/Nitroplanes or Brian Taylor models.

DISCLAIMER - I have tried to remain faithfull to the scale drawings I used for the model but I make no guarantees in regards to the scale fidelity of these items. As I have noted many times my prototype model was never intended to be anything other than a sport model and thus I have not spent the time to verify the accuracy of said drawings against the full size Hellcat. These details do a wonderful job of breaking up the surface of the model and giving the illusion of a metal structure which is all I demanded of them.

Please send me an email at [email protected] if you would like details on ordering.

Here are the vinyl details on the bottom of my Hellcat wing prior to paint. Notice these go on just prior to the final paint and are not primed. When using chrome it is only necessary to rough up the surface the vinyl with steel wool or fine sandpaper and then paint right over the top.

Here they are after a base coat of color. Some of the vinyl details have as many as four coats of paint on them and they still show up just fine.

The only surface details that were primed over were the tapes used to simulate the fabric covering on the control surfaces. To make these a bit more subtle and so that they appear more like doped fabric they were given a couple of coats of primer with some sanding in between.

I am still working on a rivet package. I have not determined at this point whether it will be economical to offer the rivets as they are extemely time consuming to produce on the laser. I need to run a few test strips and then I will be able to make a determination one way or the other. Stay tuned...
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Chad Veich

Post updated with pics.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
ihaveahellcat

Wow [X(] Those look awesome. I'm going to use them on a Hangar 9 Hellcat I have been refinishing, but I got to ask do you have a rough price for the surface details.

Dan

Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: ihaveahellcat
Wow [X(] Those look awesome. I'm going to use them on a Hangar 9 Hellcat I have been refinishing, but I got to ask do you have a rough price for the surface details.

Dan

Introductory price will be $25 + shipping for the first batch out the door. May have to bump the price up a bit after that if they take longer to produce than estimated.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
ihaveahellcat

That sounds very reasonable, I will buy a set if they are available, I will e-mail you my information.

Dan
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 AM
HellcatFlyboy

Hi All! I just ordered my plans & parts from Chad- can't wait to get started building. Much appreciate this forum for building tips, issues and sharing ideas! I'm sure I'll be accessing these pages once I get going.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Chad Veich

Progress has been made on the surface detail kits which are now available. The basic kit includes the laser cut vinyl hatches, inspection panels, fasteners, and rib tapes as well as printed plans showing placement. As noted previously the plans are at 1/16 scale, half that of the model, and can be used as a guide for panel line placement as well. I will also include an instruction sheet on applying the vinyl.

Not included in the kit above, but also available, are rivet sheets. These will be sold by the sheet, each of which contains just over 750 rivets. I have not had time to figure out just how many rivets are needed but I'm working on it. Actually, there are a couple of different options depending on the builder's preferences. The full size Hellcat uses both raised and flush rivets and on my prototype I used the vinyl on the fuselage and tail to represent the former, and then burned in the rivets on the flying surfaces to represent the latter. Obviously that requires a lot less vinyl rivets then if you were to rivet the entire airframe with vinyl. Also, I only riveted along the panel lines and did not do the intermediate rows of rivets. Last, but not least, please be aware that the rivets as provided are both larger than scale in diameter and further apart. I did this for two reasons. One, so that less rivets were necessary to get a satisfactory result and, second, to match the diameter of the burned in flush rivets. Sport scale, remember! So, there are many variables that come into play in regards to the rivets which is why they are not included in the surface detail kit. Each builder can decide how they want to proceed and then purchase however many sheets of rivets are necessary.

PS - If you just have to have the scale diameter/spaced rivets I would be happy to discuss it. It's not a problem but will, obviously, be more expensive to produce.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: HellcatFlyboy

Hi All! I just ordered my plans & parts from Chad- can't wait to get started building. Much appreciate this forum for building tips, issues and sharing ideas! I'm sure I'll be accessing these pages once I get going.

Thanks for checking in! I'm looking forward to your build and hope you will share it with the group here.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 AM
HellcatFlyboy

I'll definitely be posting and sharing here Chad, once I begin. I'm going to send you an outside email on this- I think I now should get the exhaust outlets now that I think about it. Since you haven't sent all the other vacuum formed parts and cowl yet- maybe you can add the exhaust outlets/waste gate belly pan to the order and i'll send you a cheque to cover that extra cost? I'm pondering the surface detail kit now (but it'll be ordered in the future, not ready to yet) - I see it's $25 plus shipping. Did I miss how much you're going to charge per sheet, for the rivets?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Chad Veich

Did I miss how much you're going to charge per sheet, for the rivets?
Looks like I can produce the rivets at $5 per sheet plus shipping. That will be the introductory price at least. If necessity demands the price may have to go up a bit on orders of just a sheet or two. On larger orders the $5 per sheet should suffice. As noted above each sheet contains just over 750 rivets.

For those who may be interested I can also produce rivets of any size and spacing for your other scale projects as well. As soon as time permits I will do a quick post on how I apply the rivets with some pictures and explanation of the process.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad,

Are you doing the cutting of the hatches and would you be willing to to cut some for my German projects?
If so how large are the sheets and what format would you need?

Thanks Tim
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Ram-bro

Chad, thats the ultimate question are you offering your services?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Chad Veich

Tim and Ram,

I'm just an email away! Always glad to discuss anything you guys might need.

[email protected]
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM
HellcatFlyboy

Chad, ok thanks. i'll be placing my order next week I think.
I know you haven't come up with a total count of how many rivets would be needed assuming all were the raised vinyl ones, but how about a very rough estimate?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Chad Veich

I know you haven't come up with a total count of how many rivets would be needed assuming all were the raised vinyl ones, but how about a very rough estimate?
A rough estimate is about the best I can do as it would be an exercise in frustration to try and accurately count them! I did spend a half hour or so last night doing my best to come up with a relatively accurate estimate of what I used on my prototype. I've rounded up thinking it's better to have a few too many than not enough! Keep in mind this is what I used on my model and not anywhere near the number of rivets to be found on the actual airplane.

Fuselage & Vertical Fin - Approximately 2500 total rivets of which about 2000 are vinyl and the rest are burned. On the full size Hellcat basically everything forward of the cockpit is flush riveted while everything aft has raised rivets. This is a generalization of course and if you want to be really accurate some research will be in order.

Horizontal stabs - Approximately 900 total rivets, all of them flush.

Wings - Approximately 4500 total rivets, all of them flush. The reason the wings have so many more rivets than the fuse is because the skins are butt jointed which requires a row of rivets on either side of each panel line. The fuselage is primarily overlapped panels which only requires a single row of rivets along each panel line.

So there you have it! On my prototype I have approximately 2000 or so vinyl rivets with another 5000 or so done using the soldering gun/brass tube method. For those who would like to get a more accurate estimate you can figure out how many linear inches of rivets you need and then figure 5 rivets per inch. For those of you who wish to use the vinyl rivets on the entire airframe I'm sure I can get the price per sheet down a bit on large orders.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Chad Veich

Guys I am absolutely swamped right now with an architectural model that has to be done a week from today. If you've contacted me about ordering anything, or if you have ordered something and have not heard from me in regards to payment or shipping, pleast sit tight. I will get to you ASAP but I've got to pay the bills first. Architectural models are usually a good source of revenue but they always seem to come with a rediculous deadline! Thanks for your patience.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Chad Veich

While much of the country is settling in for their building season we here in Phoenix are just starting our flying season. Today was one of those rare days with perfect skies, absolutely zero wind, and temps around 80 degrees. Perfect flying weather and I got in two good flights to start off the season. First flying I had done in about 6 months. My good friend Joe Balabon met us at the field with his "cannon" and one of the results can be seen below. Joe says there are many more coming but just this one makes the whole day worth it. Looks like I may need to adjust the linkage on the tail wheel retract a bit though! I'll post more as I get them from Joe.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a GREAT shot Chad!! Man your plane looks fantastic.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving too. I havent spoken to you in a while , but I had major knee surgery on my left knee a few months back ( meniscus, ACL and tendon repair along with some nice screws in there to hold things together). I went thru 6 weeks of rehab and Im still having problems with pain and I still limp. . So now the Dr wants me to goback and doMORE rehab. Like when I am I going to have time for that??? I hope your new knees are doing better than mine

Take care buddy,
John
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Ram-bro

Beautiful shot Chad, beautiful airplane....Now since this is your flying season, when is your building season? I thnk your just rubbing it in man.....
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM
grh_70

Uh Oh, what's that pilot doing in a target drone? Hope his chute works!
Maybe he is just testing the avionics.

GeneH
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Chad Veich

Hi John, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear that your knee surgery is not getting the job done. Maybe you should just have them replace it entirely! That's what they did with both of mine and it has been nothing short of a minor miracle for me. Now the doc says it's time to replace the shoulders! I'm trying to hold off on that for at least another year but we'll see how that goes.

Building season is all year round Ram but only for those lucky enough to have access to an air conditioned space. I pretty much can't do anything in my garage from June through September due to the extreme heat. Luckily both my father and brother have shops with AC so I just "bum" off of them during the hot months! I do have a very small air conditioned space for the laser cutter so at least I can keep designing and cutting during the summer.

Gene, the Hellcat was out on a "maintenance flight" so the pilot was not in any immediate jeopardy. At least not of being shot down anyway! Actually if pictures are any indication the drones were flown by live pilots much more often than they were flown remotely.

Thanks guys for the all the kind comments and stay tuned for more pictures. Also stay tuned for the imminent return to construction on Hellcat number two. I've got the wing back down out of the rafters and I'm determined to get the flaps wrapped up before the end of the year. They have been a real learning experience and I'll be VERY happy to move on to other aspects of the build for sure.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM
HellcatFlyboy

Beautiful shot of your hellcat, Chad! Before i go on about the photography, what's the colour scheme of the 2nd hellcat, by the way?
I can appreciate Joe's capture of your hellcat in flight- I'm a photographer myself, but i don't normally shoot action photography. I've found on the few attempts ive made at shooting RC flight, that it's difficult to get the plane in crisp sharp focus (the camera's autofocus has to be quick) and get the right shutter speed to have the prop come out blurred and not appear stationary. (By having too fast a shutter speed) Looking forward to joe's other shots to come.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.