Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

a warm Merry Christmas to all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all
    It has been a while. hope everone has had a great holiday!!!!
    I have been able to geet some more work done
    Here are is the start of the communitcation lights

and hatches

i have since finished these features and will post more pictures soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca81932.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	1348814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nl28379.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	1348815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wr55807.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	1348816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lq36925.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	1348817  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have also taken on the flap project. Tis is the best way I saw to get some what scale flaps with out the hassle of scale linkages.
    I think Chad is going to add a drawing set with dimensions for this procedure and laser cut servo hatches for purchase if anyone is interested
    Tighe O'Meara

Name:	mk25906.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	1348820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rw57413.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	1348821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wh57568.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	1348822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	po48144.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	1348823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uz15238.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	1348824  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xi40569.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	1348825  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All:

With the holiday season now a distant memory for me, I have started my Hellcat. I will post photos as I go along. My intention is to build this plane fairly close to its design. I may add a few things like flaps etc.

More to follow.....

James

[img][/img]

Name:	Pm35038.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1350344  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wizard61
    Hello All:

With the holiday season now a distant memory for me, I have started my Hellcat. I will post photos as I go along. My intention is to build this plane fairly close to its design. I may add a few things like flaps etc.

More to follow.....

James

Well I guess that makes it official then, we have ourselves a group build! Looking good James and please don't hesitate to share your opinion of the design and the kit, both good or bad. I appreciate the feedback either way as it only makes the next one better. I know there are several other guys who should be getting started soon so, hopefully, they will jump in here too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright. now back to work on that P40 or ME109 you were working on......
    Sig 4*40, GP Corsair, TF P47D, P40, Spitfire. Future Projects: Ty Brown\'\'s ME109 84\", Dave Anderson TA152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot
    Alright. now back to work on that P40 or ME109 you were working on......
    There's that cracking whip sound again! Actually thinking 190D9 at this point and looking for good drawings to start with that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I guess it's time to get this ball rolling. We've got several guys building and several more should be getting started soon. First order of business is to clean off the building table and get together the necessary tools and equipment. I have posted below the "Preparing to build" section directly from the web site to get things off and running. Construction of the vertical fin will be first and I'll get it started tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Just a reminder, the Hellcat build site can be found here: www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com

Preparing to Build

Building Surface
    The wing and horizontal stab of the RCFW Hellcat were designed to be built directly over the plan while the fuselage is built on an elevated crutch. A flat surface is absolutely necessary as is a reliable method of accurately holding the parts in place while assembling them. There are many methods to do this and you may have a favorite already. If not you may try out my preferred methods as described below.
    I normally build on glass and/or medium-density fiberboard (MDF) and I either weight the parts or tack glue them directly to the building surface. When tack gluing, both glass and MDF provide for easy clean up after construction is completed. As you will see in the gallery my method for building over the plans is to stick them to the building board with a light coat of spray adhesive and masking tape around the perimeter. I then cut small squares out of the plan so that the jig tabs on the parts can be tacked directly to the board. It is usually not necessary to tack glue every jig tab but only a few of them across the span of the assembly in key areas.
    For weighting and positioning parts I have become very dependent on 1-2-3 blocks. These are designed primarily for use by machinists when setting up operations on the mill. They are precisely milled 1" x 2" x 3" steel blocks that are perfect for holding parts (like wing ribs) square to the building surface and for weighting them down. I have found a hundred other uses for them as well. They are not cheap but I have managed to acquire a dozen or so over time and I highly recommend them. Just be VERY careful with them if you build on glass as I do! (Ask me how I know) When applying wing or tail sheeting, zip lock bags filled with sand provide an ideal weight that will conform to a curved surface and will not leave any hangar rash behind.

Tools
    I assume this is not anyone's first build project so you should already have and be familiar with the usual suite of building tools. The Hellcat does not require anything that is outside the norm. The one area that I would like to give some special attention to is that of sanding tools. It has been said, and I concur, that the difference between a good model and a great one can be summed up in one word, sandpaper. Most folks do not enjoy sanding and often it is a hurried and overlooked part of building. However, it is a key element to ending up with a really good finished product and it is worth the time. We can make it as easy as possible by making and/or obtaining the proper equipment. I like to have half a dozen or so sanding blocks with various grits of paper made up and ready to go prior to building. I usually have a couple that are 2-3 inches wide and 6-8 inches long as well as a couple 4-5 inches wide and 10-12 inches long. I even have one about 16 inches long for those long straight sanding jobs like shaping wing leading edges. I usually make up one side of each block with about 180-220 grit while the other side will have 80-120 grit. You might keep one around with some even finer stuff, say 320 grit, for putting a final finish on some parts. Mix 'em up a little so you will always have the right block for the job. I also keep a foam sanding block close at hand for those jobs where you need the block to conform to a curve. You will definitely want one when you start sanding a large sheeted surface. I make them up out of regular white bead foam, about 4-5 inches wide, 6-8 inches long, and and inch or two thick. Make it up with about 180-220 grit paper. For sanding inside curves (like wheel well openings) it is very useful to have a round block of some sort. I keep one around that is simply sandpaper wrapped around a 1 inch dowel about 6 inches long. One about a half inch in diameter is useful as well. Last, but not least, get yourself a good selection of nail files too. Any drug store will have them or you can liberate them from your wife or girlfriend's stash! If you want to spend the money there are some great pre-made sanding blocks available from various sources. One of the best is Perma Grit. They have a wide selection of sanding and finishing tools that are made to last a lifetime and can make the tough jobs much easier.
    The other point I would like to make about sanding is simply to keep a good selection of fresh paper at hand. Much like your knife blades, don't be afraid to change out your sandpaper often. Good paper makes the job go much faster and your time is probably worth more than the paper!

Adhesives
    Nothing out of the ordinary here. Medium CA is what I use for the majority of the build with some thin CA thrown in where applicable. You will also need some 5 and 30 minute epoxy as well as some yellow wood glue or Ambroid. (Sigment works too) Although not a necessity, I do recommend the use of liquid plastic model cement when attaching plastic to plastic, ie, assembly of the vacuum formed parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry Chad, I know this isnt the place for this, but ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We just won the National Championship !!! WOOO HOOO!!!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=lol.gif]

< We now return you back to your regular scheduled program >

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Sorry Chad, I know this isnt the place for this, but ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We just won the National Championship !!! WOOO HOOO!!!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=lol.gif]

< We now return you back to your regular scheduled program >

I guess somebody is having a good day then!

I got your tailwheel today John and should get your kit to the post office in the morning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One last note before bed. Tighe has started to do some of the CAD work to show the additon of flaps and I will try my best to have and addendum to the plans available in the very near future. Tighe had no problem adding them to his already completed wing and, in fact, this may be the best way to accomplish the task. The ailerons are built in a similar fashion, being constructed with the wing and then cut free after the fact. This allows the wash out to be built right into the surfaces for a perfect fit once they are cut free, capped, and hinged. Watch this space for updates!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad,

I can help you out with D-9 drawings and info.
    Will PM you.

Gene Hughes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: grh_70
    Chad,

I can help you out with D-9 drawings and info.
    Will PM you.

Gene Hughes
    Thanks for the offer Gene, I look forward to hearing from you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some good news for those waiting on the glass cowl. I finished up the plug today and will be shipping it off on Monday to Vic Catalasan who has agreed to make the mold. As soon as I get the mold back from Vic I will start pumping out glass cowls. A few pics of the plug below. My camera does not pick them up but it does have the panel lines. The rest of the detail will be up to you guys!

For those wishing to do the full cockpit in the Hellcat I wanted to let you guys know that the kit is coming along nicely. The full cockpit does require moving the servo tray back behind the cockpit which I don't think is going to affect the CoG too much but time will tell. It's probably not something you will want to do if you plan on running a .61 size motor but for those running more power the added weight of the cockpit and whatever additional nose weight is required should not be an issue. The cockpit kit will include the new servo tray and all the parts necessary to move it aft. The decision to go with a full cockpit is one that will need to be made before starting the fuselage construction so be aware. Their will also be a kit for the partial cockpit as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have begun construction of my second Hellcat and found time to make a start on my vertical fin today. The full step-by-step construction can be found here: http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/vstab.html

A few notes regarding construction that may be helpful.

- Dry fit parts V1-V7 together, sit the structure upright with V1 flat on the surface, and then use a square to make sure V1 and V3 are perpindicular to one another. As long as V3 stays vertical the rest of the ribs will be vertical as well due to the tab and slot nature of the structure. Once you are sure everthing is square and straight run thin CA into the joints making sure to keep V1 flat on the bench and V3 vertical. You may want to do this on some wax paper so you don't glue the structure to your table! Once that is done add the saddle made up of V9-V10 to the base of V3 and then the sub leading edge V8. I found V8 to be about 1/8" to short. This has been corrected in the files but for those of you who already have kits you will need to either add 1/8" to the base of V8 or take 30 seconds and cut an entire new one from a piece of scrap 1/8" balsa.

- Next V1 and V8 are sanded to match the taper of the ribs in preparation for sheeting. Be careful not to sand any flat spots on the ribs themselves. The slightly charred laser edge actually serves very well to let you know where you've sanded and where you have not. Note that V1 has a notch in it which lines up with the bottom edge of rib V3. The sheeting stops at the bottom edge of V3 and it is not necessary to sand any taper on V1 at its' base below the notch.

- Make up a couple of 1/16" skins and sheet the structure as shown. It is recommended that you use your lighter 1/16" balsa for this job. Not only because we need to keep the tail light but also because the fin is not sheeted in any sort of saddle or jig and it would be easy to warp it out of shape if too much pressure is applied. I glued my sheeting to the trailing edge first and then worked it around to the leading edge starting at the center rib and working up from there and then down. Sight down the leading edge every once in a while to make sure that the structure is not getting pulled out of square. Due to the small size of the vertical fin the structure is quite rigid and you should not have any problems with warping it but it never hurts to be aware during construction. Also, please be cautious when sheeting not to put too much pressure on the structure. In my quest to keep the tail as light as possible I put lightening holes in the ribs of the vertical and horizontal stabs which makes them easy to crush. In hind sight this may have been going a bit too far. The laser just makes it so easy to do!

NOTE: I have added a short tutorial on making up skins for sheeting on the Tips & Tricks page of the site. This is less important on the small skins needed for the vertical but will come in handy when you are making up skins for the horizontal stab and wings.

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/tips.html

I'll finish up the vertical tomorrow and get started on the rudder. Stay tuned...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Time for a new table I think Mr. Veich. Just came in from working on my P40. It should never be 9 degree's in Texas....it hurt to breathe
    Sig 4*40, GP Corsair, TF P47D, P40, Spitfire. Future Projects: Ty Brown\'\'s ME109 84\", Dave Anderson TA152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad,

I just sent an email to your cwvmodels address.

Gene H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad,
    Your doing a great job with this and it’s on my to build list. This is one of my favorite planes and it’s hard to find one in this size. Ill be watching to see how some of the other guys builds and maiden flights go. Now I have to decide on my next build either this or the TF 60 size P-47 kit that I have. I might have to sell some of my kits to finance this one.

Keep up the good work
    Steve
    Club Saito #638, Ultra Sport BH #67, Cub BH #71, Spitfire BH #165, P-47 BH #92

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No progress today, too many other projects taking up my time. I should be able to get some building done on the Hellcat tomorrow and will post another update.

Time for a new table I think Mr. Veich. Just came in from working on my P40. It should never be 9 degree's in Texas....it hurt to breathe
    A balmy 70 degrees here today c_r, t-shirts and shorts for me out in the garage. Now if we just did not have the 4-5 months of 100+ in the summer... Up until a few months ago my table had a nice piece of 1/2" plate glass keeping it from harm. However, a 1-2-3 block dropped from a height of about 5 inches put an end to that. Lesson learned!

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

Chad,
    Your doing a great job with this and it’s on my to build list. This is one of my favorite planes and it’s hard to find one in this size. Ill be watching to see how some of the other guys builds and maiden flights go. Now I have to decide on my next build either this or the TF 60 size P-47 kit that I have. I might have to sell some of my kits to finance this one.

Keep up the good work
    Thanks for the kudos smkrcflyer, much appreciated. I'm having a ball with this project and can't wait to see some Hellcats taking shape.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never tried a glass building surface. Mostly because I figured it does have some "give" to it, so the surface under it still has to be "true". What I'm using is some 3/4 inch granite/marble slab (two of them) that my step-grandfather obtained during the renovation of a bank some 30+ years ago (they were interior wall treatments as I understand it). Each slab is 48 x 36 roughly. It'll never warp, twist or bow like a door or a fold out table. Even if the surface they are on bows, the granite/marble slab is still dead flat and will never be affected by humidity. The downside...each slab weighs about 300 lbs, it might as well be made of lead, but I never have to worry about my building surface.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never tried a glass building surface. Mostly because I figured it does have some ''give'' to it, so the surface under it still has to be ''true''. What I'm using is some 3/4 inch granite/marble slab (two of them) that my step-grandfather obtained during the renovation of a bank some 30+ years ago (they were interior wall treatments as I understand it). Each slab is 48 x 36 roughly. It'll never warp, twist or bow like a door or a fold out table. Even if the surface they are on bows, the granite/marble slab is still dead flat and will never be affected by humidity. The downside...each slab weighs about 300 lbs, it might as well be made of lead, but I never have to worry about my building surface.
    That folding table in the pics is not my main building table. I did frame up smaller stuff on it when I had the glass as the 1/2" was thick enough that it did not have any "give" to it no matter what the surface unerneath was like. My main building surface is a welded steel frame covered with 3/4" MDF and then a piece of 1/4" plate glass. The 3/4" slabs you use sound perfect, although I imagine they may be a bit pricey if you have to go out and buy them! (So is plate glass for that matter) I've been very lucky in that I've had about half a dozen large pieces of plate glass donated to me from various sources.

Just FYI, several very generous guys have offered to provide me with some exceptional documentation for the "Dora" and it is quickly climbing to the top of my "what kit to do next" list.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Work continues on the vertical fin and rudder construction.

- I've added the 1/4" balsa leading and trailing edge pieces, the two V11's which finish up the base of the fin, and the 1/2" balsa V13 fin tip. I have rough sanded everything to shape as seen and will finish shaping after the rudder is built.

- Rudder construction is accomplished by sandwiching the 1/64" plywood core RC between two 3/8" balsa R1 pieces and two 1/4" balsa R2 pieces. Here you can see the assembly prior to R1 and R2 being added to the second side. No real issues here, just make sure to line everything up carefully and do the assembly on a flat surface to keep it as straight as possible.

Tomorrow I'll try and get the rudder shaped and get the fin and rudder hinged so we can temporarily assemble them for final sanding.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad,

I am unable to view your website here at work (dam military IT firewalls) but from what I can see on the message board here, your Hellcat looks pretty nice. How would an old Enya R1.20 fly your airframe? I may have to get one of these.

-Tommy
    Tommy Dale
    Racinrc14@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ouch Chad!!! That made quite a big mess to clean up huh? Sorry man.
    And Im feeling you cool reboot about the weather, it got down to 9 degrees here this weekend... enough is enough !! Im ready for SPRING and SUMMER!!!

Looking great Chad.... keep on keeping on.[sm=thumbup.gif]
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan
    Ouch Chad!!! That made quite a big mess to clean up huh?
    Yeah, it was a big mess. I found little chunks of glass clear down at the end of my driveway (garage door was open) which is 25-30 feet away! You should be getting your kit any day now John, keep an eye on the mail box.

ORIGINAL: Racinrc14
    Chad,

I am unable to view your website here at work (dam military IT firewalls) but from what I can see on the message board here, your Hellcat looks pretty nice. How would an old Enya R1.20 fly your airframe? I may have to get one of these.

-Tommy
    The old 1.20 Enya is a great motor Tommy and would be more than adequate for the Hellcat but certainy not too much. I'm sure it would all fit in the cowl too. If you have any questions regarding the kit please feel free to shoot me an email at cwveich@cwvmodels.com and I'll get right back to you. Thanks!

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast