Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Told ya!

Congrats to you Chad!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

great job Chad,,,,,,keep rubbing it in about that flying weather. We are still in the building season out here
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!! Very we'll deserved award!

I know what you mean about cold weather... We got down to the mid 50s last night

Casey
Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Ram-bro

50 below right? lol
Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, no thank you very much

LOL

hey the mid 50s around here gets pretty cold! I grew up in Lafayette Indiana, so I understand what you all are dealing with. It's no fun for sure. The coldest I can ever remember it being in my childhood was 78 below zero with the windchill factor... With that memory Seared into my brain, you can understand why I live here!

stay warm!

aloha,

Casey
Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Ram-bro

I remember a winter in Rantoul Illinois.....70 below zero....Thast why I live in Nebraska?.........lol
Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Reini450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Chad,

Congratulations also from my side.
And thanks for the detailed report about the weekend.

Dirk
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Chad Veich

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for checking in and for the congrats. I've just about finished up your tailwheel and instrument panel but I'm waiting on the 3d printed gun sight and tailwheel yoke. The printer is saying that it may be near the end of March before I get it as they are very busy. I will get it all sent off to you as soon as the parts arrive. In the meantime is there anything else that you need? Gear doors, exhaust outlets, drop tank, etc.? I don't remember exactly what items you have already purchased and what you might still need.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Reini450

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
The printer is saying that it may be near the end of March before I get it as they are very busy. I will get it all sent off to you as soon as the parts arrive.
Hi Chad,

the end of March is okay.
I've ordered this moter yesterday.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Unfortunately, this motor is only in the Global Warehouse available. Therefore I have to wait approx. 2 week of my "powerplant".
If the motor is arrived, I'll order the Prop from Mr. Ramoser. The Prop will have a diameter of 17,9". Okay, not 100% scale, but close enough.
Perhaps, I need a drop tank. If yes, I send you a mail on time.
During the next few weeks I will not have so much time to build the Hellcat further. That's why I postponed the maiden flight.
Even thought there are only small seps, I will report regulary.

I wish you a great weekend,
Dirk
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Oakey

Hi all
I am considering building one of these too and I am interested in how many electric versions are being planned or built at the moment. I did notice one of you with a hyperion ZS4025-16 on 6 or 8 S. I think that is where i would be pitching too. I have one of these sitting in my 3/4 built 1/6 109-f4. my own design and all the problems that come with that approach
considering this is clearly a very successful formula perhaps I should pause the 109 and build one of these? I have a CNC machine that I could cut the parts on. being in Australia postage for model parts cut overseas are hideously expensive.

anyway fantastic design Chad

cheers

craig
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Reini450

Hi Craig,
I'm building my Hellcat electric. And since today in the morning,I thought I'm alone.
You are right, I start my build with the idea to mount a Hyperion ZS4025-16. But I chanched my decision.
Mainly due, as I wanted the to see a 3-Blade-Prop spinning. And with this motor on 8S the rotation for the prop is to high.
On post #760 you can see my actual config.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Oakey

Hi Dirk

thanks for the reply. OK so now you have me thinking that is a fairly big change in the size of your motor. still good to go electric I think but I/we will need to change the plans a little to get the new firewall and battery compartment in the right place.

for the 109 I was going with 8S and a 16 x8 prop or 6s with an 18x12 both 2 blade props.

cheers

c
Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Reini450

Originally Posted by Oakey
OK so now you have me thinking that is a fairly big change in the size of your motor.
As I say, the main reason for changing the motors wars the limitation of the prop.
But I hope, I can kill two birds with one stone. The new motor is heavier than the Hyperion. Due to the short front of the hellcat, you need a lot of weight on the nose to reach the CoG.
In combination with the Ramoser Vario-Prop, I hope, I do not need aditional (or less) weight in the front.

To move the firewall foreward make absolut sense. Thereby we can create space for the batteries. Where exactly the batteries are located, I'll define later when most work on the Hellcat is done. Either vertical short after the motor or horizontal further behind the firewall.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Chad Veich

Craig,

Send me an email and I will be happy to provide you with a vector file of the parts for your CNC cutter. I assume you have already acquired the plans?

[email protected]
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Oakey

Hi Chad,
yes thank you I have already got the plans from the site but a DXF would make things so much easier I built my own CNC machine so it is a bit agricultural but it works well and has pretty good accuracy. with a 3kW spindle spinning at 24rpm and some good tools I can cut almost anything. I will PM you with my email address.

thank you again

kind regards

craig
Old 03-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Oakey

and so the fun begins.

I have just ordered a nice new Hyperion 4035-12 that will spin a serious 18x10 prop to deliver 5.5 kg of thrust off a relatively simple 8S pack.

thanks for the files Chad. I have to do some reformatting so that it will work with my router rather than a laser cutter, no biggie, a couple of hours and I will be ready to start cutting stuff. I notice that all of the wing ribs are light ply. I was going to change, certainly the outer panels to balsa, and similarly I was thinking that I would use balsa for all of the fuselage formers other than for the major load bearing items. I will need to extend F1 to push the motor further forward and to enable the batteries to be further forward too.

Chad you mentioned a FG cowl. I could get my router to cut a 3d solid from MDF and make a mould from that but a FG one might be easier

all good chaps... tally ho!

craig
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Chad Veich

Craig,

No reason that the outboard wing ribs and most of the fuselage formers could not be changed to balsa. Light ply was used only because it can be acquired in large sheets, thus eliminating the need to edge glue sheets together for the larger parts, and because it is much cheaper and laser cuts a whole bunch better than balsa. The cowl is available through Vic Catalasan, www.vicrc.com. You won't see it on his web site but just shoot him an email and I'm sure he will get back to you.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:55 PM
lightning 759

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chad
I must confess that I got mine very much close to glassing then went off the boil last year with family things happening & not really got my mojo back but a good friend has offered to finish it for me ,just thought I post a pic he put on a other forum , if rest of the model looks as well as this I will be well happy

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1980535  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Chad Veich

Fantastic Andy! And you KNOW I love the color scheme! Keep the pics coming if you will.

I am participating in the One Eighth Air Force scale event with the Hellcat this weekend and then I plan to pull my Hellcat prototype down and do a complete "Inspect and repair as necessary". If all goes as planned it will reemerge in a few months with an Evolution 20cc gasser in place of the OS .91FX. I will also be upgrading the radio gear and replacing all the air lines for the retracts, etc. to bring the old girl back up to "like new" condition.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 AM
draven12

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at this build for a while now. I'm interested to know if there is a cowl and canopy available for the build? I would be keen on purchasing these to start my own build.

Stu.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Chad Veich

Hi Stu,

A fiberglass cowl and vac-formed canopy, as well as a few other accessories, are still available for the Hellcat. Shoot me an email and we can discuss the details.

[email protected]
Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 AM
lightning 759

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chad
here you go .sorry its the same scheme but yours looked so good i had to have one & a red hellcat over hear will be a bit of a novelty .
recived pictures from my friend yesterday just got to work out a collection date fit reciver then test flight

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1981906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1981907  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Chad Veich

Spectacular Andy, really nice work! Looks like you will be the first to fly the flapped version so I will be very much looking forward to a flight report. I wish you the very best of luck with the test flights and hope you are as happy with it as I am with mine.

The Hellcat and I managed another first place best military trophy at our One Eighth Air Force fly-in this past weekend. I put three more flights on the airplane which must bring my total to at least 50-60 now. The airplane is now temporarily grounded for an engine re-fit as well as new radio gear and whatnot.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by lightning 759
Hi Chad
here you go .sorry its the same scheme but yours looked so good i had to have one & a red hellcat over hear will be a bit of a novelty .
recived pictures from my friend yesterday just got to work out a collection date fit reciver then test flight

Andy
Andy,

Once you have the model in hand any chance I can convince you to send me some detailed pictures of it? I would love to add them to my collection as well as put them up on the "Customer Builds" section of the web site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.