Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 10-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

The time has come to launch an "official" group build thread for the R/C FrameWorks Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat. For those who have been following the "Guaging Interest" thread you already know what this is all about. For everyone else I will give a brief history of the project to get you up to speed.

R/C FrameWorks is what I call my little side business of designing and producing accessories for the scale builder. ( All three of them left out there! ) The Hellcat is my introductory plan / short kit offering and in an attempt to entice a few more builders out into the open I have decided to try a group build and taylor it somewhat to the "newbie" warbird builders. If you are at all interested in the idea of building a Hellcat and doing it with a few other like minded modelers then please visit the web site at the link below. There you will find all the information on the Hellcat itself, how it came to be, what kinds of things will be covered in the group build, and how you can get involved.

www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com

Here are the specs on the airplane:

Scale: 1/8 (1.5" = 1')
Span: 64.25 inches
Area: 652 square inches
Weight: 9 - 11 lbs.
Wing Loading: ~32-39 ounces/sq. ft.
Volumetric Wing Loading: 21-25 pounds/cu. ft.
Power: .61-.91 two stroke/.91-1.20 four stroke (or electric equivalent)

As of right now the RCFW prototype has flown half a dozen times and has exceeded all expectations. All test flights were done prior to detailing and painting (My Momma didn't raise no dummy) and the airframe is currently stripped down so that the finishing process can proceed. My intentions are to do the finish work on the prototype as well as to continue to develop the construction gallery on the web site while the group gets started on the airframe. By the time the group gets to the point of finish work the prototype should be done and the web site complete. That's the plan anyway! If you have any questions or input please feel free to post them here. And if you would like to review the "Guaging Interest" thread mentioned above it can be found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8962908/tm.htm

I will probably wait a couple of weeks to let everyone who is interested get their orders in and processed before starting the actual build. If you are interested and want to get started with the group please get you orders in ASAP so I can get the kits produced and shipped. Of course, kits will be available and you can join the build at any time in the future if you don't mind playing a little "catch up".

I would be remiss if I failed to thank a couple of retailers who have agreed to sponsor the build with discounted merchandise.

Ray and Robin's Hobby Center in Falmouth, Maine
&
Pete's Pilots

More information on the sponsors and links to their web sites are available on the Hellcat site.

Well, there you have it. I am very much looking forward to building with whomever decides to jump on board. Thanks for your interest!

Regards,
Chad Veich

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6FSHEET1.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2238365

Name:	F6FSHEET2.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2238366

Name:	RQTR_7-24.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2238367

Name:	F_QTR_G.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2238368

Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

subscribed
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Wizard61
My Feedback: (7)

My order is placed and paid for. I am subscribed.

James
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Tko310

Hi All
I have to let every one know what a cool plane this is. I flew Chad's Prototype and I found it to be one of the nicest flying warbrids. It flies like it is on rails and will do anything you ask of it with in reason for a warbird. (NO 3D!) I recently got my kit. Great design, Nice scale lines and everthing tabs together. I am not a super accomplished builder, though I started on the center section of the wings and this kit will make you look good. In less than an afternoon I had it framed and sheeted. I will start posting pics soon hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I am.
Thanks
Tighe O'Meara
Old 10-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks James for your order and thanks Tighe for the endorsement.

By the way, Tighe already has his kit because he is the guy doing the laser cutting!

For anyone interested in having a look I put up the construction gallery for the vertical fin today. Please let me know if you find any links that are not working or anything that looks strange. I've viewed the site with Explorer and Firefox and all seems well but you never know.

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/vstab.html
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

I sent the e-mail for the ordering info. Sign me up. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Barcandson
I sent the e-mail for the ordering info. Sign me up. Thanks.
Barcandson,

Did you receive the order information? Just want to be sure nobody was missed.

Not much to report as far as progress on the finish of my prototype. Most of the last couple of weeks has been spent getting everything in place to produce kits. I have made a bit of progress to include getting the landing gear shortened, cleaned up, and repainted. I've also added the aerial masts, the waste gate in the belly, and am working on getting the drop tank installed. We had a scale fly-in here in town this weekend so I "polished" it up a bit and took it out for display as can be seen below. No sales but lots of good comments. For anyone who was at the fly-in yesterday and could not find me, I apologize. My plans were foiled and I did not get out until today. Onward and upward!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Chad Veich

PS - This is the waste gate in the belly pan. These parts are vacuum formed and will be part of the optional exhaust outlets package. Sorry for the fuzzy pic!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Chad Veich

Just FYI, I have added a reference page to the web site as well as started a "tips & tricks" page. Both can be found in the construction gallery. The reference page contains links to several nice on-line Hellcat pictorial sites and also offers up some Hellcat books that you might consider for your library. I will continue to add to the tips & tricks page as the build progresses and we reach those stages where I think I have some info that may be of some use. If there is anything in particular anyone would like to see covered please let me know. Thanks guys!

www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
p 40

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif] Chad you be very good hello

cerca
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad,

I don't know anything about the Hellcat. Does it have flaps on the full scale? Just curious.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com will give 10% off the cost of my rails if purchaced for this build. I take it that it had a sliding canopy.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Chad Veich

Barry,

Thanks for the offer of discounted canopy rails. I'm not putting a sliding canopy on my prototype but some of the other guys may take you up on the deal. The full size does indeed have flaps but I did not want the weight or complexity on this rather small sport-scale airplane. They could certainly be added if someone were so inclined but they are not necessary as long as the weight is kept in check. I will simulate the flaps on my airplane when I do the detail work.

Gianluca,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feed back Chad! Nice looking sport plane. Although I think it looks like it could be detailed and be a masterpiece.

Barry
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
US185Damiani

Subscribed as well!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM
US185Damiani

Wish I could afford a kit! LOL
Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Tko310

hi all
I have completed the center section and the left wing panel. I have add rockets to my plane so there will probably be an add on kit for these. i also installed nav lights. I found LEDS at radio shack in a variety pack, they are already the proper color and just about the scale size (3mm) in the wing tip. the package also comes with 5mm lights which are great for lighting instrument panels and the nav lights on the spine of the aircraft. I will be adding pictures next weekend of the winfg panels and the rockets.

my next decision is on the flaps
do I go scale? - would have been easier from the begininning

non scale?

skip it ?

Truth is the plane files and lands fine without them - would just be a nice scale feature

Tighe O'Meara
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Question. Any larger planes on the horizon?

I like the concept and it sounds like fun with the added comradeship, but I would say, many of us builders have moved into the larger war bird scales, 1/6 and 1/5 etc.

I have a Jemco P-47 (1/8th scale) that still sits unfinished after about 16 years. Just lost interest in the smaller nitro size and haven't gotten back on it yet.

These larger scales can easily be detailed to the max and still not be too crazy in wing loading. With advancement of very reasonably priced and reliable gas engines, these scales have never been so easy and fordable to power.

Perhaps a 1/6 scale Corsair or even a larger version of your Hellcat? I like the 1/6 size as they are still large enough for the smaller gas engines available now, parts are larger and easier to detail IMO, and fairly inexpensive 12" full body pilot figures are easy to find for them.

Anyway, this will be a fun process to watch. Wish you all a good time.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
Perhaps a 1/6 scale Corsair or even a larger version of your Hellcat?
The 1/6 Corsair is already under way, although stalled for the moment while some other things get finished up. Please note that this started out as an enlargement of the Royal plan but has evolved into a totally new design.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/tm.htm

A larger version of the Hellcat is a very distinct possibility. However I probably will only go up to 1/7 scale which would be about 74 inches span. Any bigger than that you already have the Jerry Bates, Nick Ziroli, Don Smith, Don Lien, Iron Bay, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Other warbirds are being considered in the 80-85 inch range however, including a Yak-11 (see link) which is being prototyped as we speak as well as some others.

www.yak.cwvmodels.com
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Tko310

just to ad my two cents

there are a number of .60 -1.20 size gas engines available on the market now at extremely resonable prices

not only are they more afordable to opperate they can swing bigger scale props

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/RCSSV17-H.html
this 17cc has got great reviews with comprobale weight

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/AEROVATE20R.html
this is the one i will opt for

watch the video
Tighe OMeara
Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
valr

I'm with you Tighe. I plan to install a small gasser in mine.
Val
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
Perhaps a 1/6 scale Corsair or even a larger version of your Hellcat?
The 1/6 Corsair is already under way, although stalled for the moment while some other things get finished up. Please note that this started out as an enlargement of the Royal plan but has evolved into a totally new design.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/tm.htm

A larger version of the Hellcat is a very distinct possibility. However I probably will only go up to 1/7 scale which would be about 74 inches span. Any bigger than that you already have the Jerry Bates, Nick Ziroli, Don Smith, Don Lien, Iron Bay, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Other warbirds are being considered in the 80-85 inch range however, including a Yak-11 (see link) which is being prototyped as we speak as well as some others.

www.yak.cwvmodels.com
This all sounds good. Good point on the choices in 1/6. Maybe 1/5 then. I'm building a 1/5 scale Meister now. Maybe a 1/5 scale P-40 or British Hurricane then. Lots of Spits out there to.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: Tko310

just to ad my two cents

there are a number of .60 -1.20 size gas engines available on the market now at extremely resonable prices

watch the video
Tighe OMeara
I don't know anything about it, but the RCG 26cc gasser might work too. Apparently the listed weight is wrong as the first of the reviews says the total weight of the engine, exhaust, ignition and hardware is 1297g.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...n_2.6HP/1.95kw
Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: Tko310

just to ad my two cents

watch the video
Tighe OMeara
I don't know anything about it, but the RCG 26cc gasser might work too. Apparently the listed weight is wrong as the first of the reviews says the total weight of the engine, exhaust, ignition and hardware is 1297g.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...n_2.6HP/1.95kw
On a 64" war bird??????????????
Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Tko310

I know the RCS SV 17 cc is 33 oz without ignition and battery i believe the total package depending on battery choice is approx. 41 oz

the proto type flew with a OS 61fx, plus 7-8 oz of nose weight.

acording to tower the OS 61 weights 23.6 oz with muffler

RCGF or aerovate makes a 15cc also this might also be a good choice though i have not looked into it yet
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Tko310

i agree he 26cc might be a bit much

could be entertaining though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.