Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Slow but steady progress on the completion of the prototype. I now have all the panel lines completed on my wing. Next I will add the laser cut vinyl hatches, inspections panels, etc. and then it will be ready for a base coat of zinc chromate paint. I will then burn the rivets into the base coat using the sharpened brass tube in a soldering gun method. I also built up some overlapping panels to simulate the non-existant flaps. Just because they are not on the prototype does not mean that we can't fake it! The remainder of the illusion will, hopefully, be accomplished with careful airbrushing. All of this will, of course, be covered in detail on the web site for those interested in how I accomplish these details.

I also built up the overlapped panel line indicating the wing tip as well. The rest of the panel lines on the wing are of the recessed variety but the fuselage will be primarily overlapped panels as seen here. The Hellcat contains a nice variety of flush and overlapped panels as well as flush and button head type rivets so we will get to cover many different techniques before it is all done!

I am also trying to set aside enough time to get the outer wing panel construction gallery completed so please stay tuned!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Charles, AC6WU
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Chad, I only hope I can come close with my build. Received my wood order yesterday and will begin my build soon.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
p 40

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Slow but steady progress on the completion of the prototype. I now have all the panel lines completed on my wing. Next I will add the laser cut vinyl hatches, inspections panels, etc. and then it will be ready for a base coat of zinc chromate paint. I will then burn the rivets into the base coat using the sharpened brass tube in a soldering gun method. I also built up some overlapping panels to simulate the non-existant flaps. Just because they are not on the prototype does not mean that we can't fake it! The remainder of the illusion will, hopefully, be accomplished with careful airbrushing. All of this will, of course, be covered in detail on the web site for those interested in how I accomplish these details.

I also built up the overlapped panel line indicating the wing tip as well. The rest of the panel lines on the wing are of the recessed variety but the fuselage will be primarily overlapped panels as seen here. The Hellcat contains a nice variety of flush and overlapped panels as well as flush and button head type rivets so we will get to cover many different techniques before it is all done!

I am also trying to set aside enough time to get the outer wing panel construction gallery completed so please stay tuned!
BELLISSIMO[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated!

Charles, your wheels and air system have finally arrived and I will be picking them up tomorrow. I'll probably hold off shipping them to you until I have your glass cowl if that is OK with you.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Charles, AC6WU

No Problem Chad.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

Hi guys
Its been awhile!! I have started a new job in the nursing field and hve been rather busy. My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new house and moving. That said, the cockpits wont be released until May. Hope this doesnt upset the apple cart. Have fun and i will keep you posted
Tighe
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Chad Veich

Sorry for the lack of progress here guys, been very busy with other commitments. I have managed to get the laser cut vinyl details added to the bottom of my wing. These include such things as inspection covers, hatches, dive flap, etc. Pretty much anything that you want to stand slightly proud of the surface of the model. Another couple of hours to put this detail on the top of the wing and it will be ready for a base coat of chromate into which I will burn the flush rivets prior to painting the finish colors.

Here is a (bad) close up shot of the pinking on the aileron. This, along with some paint trickery, will serve to simulate the fabric covered control surfaces I hope. Tighe used it on his Hellcat and I thought it looked great, definitely ample for a sport scale effort.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Charles, AC6WU

Hey Chad,

Are these going to be available to the group? If so, put me down for a set, I think they look great for a sport scale model.

Shall I post my pics here or send them to you first?

Charles
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Charles, AC6WU

Hey Chad,

Are these going to be available to the group? If so, put me down for a set, I think they look great for a sport scale model.

Shall I post my pics here or send them to you first?

Charles
Their will be a laser cut vinyl surface detail set available Charles that will include all the hatches, panels, rib tapes, etc, and possibly the laser cut rivets as well. Not 100% certain on the rivets yet due to the very long cutting times necessary to produce them. They may end up being too costly to produce. I may just offer enough rivets to do the fuselage since the full size used raised rivets. The wing is flush riveted and I will be burning those using a brass tube chucked up in a soldering iron.

Please feel free to post any pictures you would like to share Charles, no need to run them through me unless it is easier for you to do it that way.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Charles, AC6WU

If I can figure out how to post pictures here I'll do that. You have enough to do already.
[img][/img]
I don't know what the image button (above) does, it appears to do nothing.

Anyway here are pics of what I have done so far:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93681.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1413667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41420.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1413668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98422.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1413669  
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Charles, AC6WU

Hi Chad, Better late than never. Not too much done but here's pics of the finished tail feathers:

Well??? I cannot post the pics for some reason... Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Chad Veich

You can send the pics to me Charles and I will upload them to my photobucket account and post them here for you if you like. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Chad
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Charles, AC6WU

Send me an email address that I can work with and I'll do that Chad. I should be able to post here though, I just haven't figured it out. I did manage the attachments in the previous post but can't seem to do it again.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Chad Veich

It may be that your photos are too large Charles and need to be resized. This is less of an issue with Photobucket and a photo hosting account with Photobucket is free in case you are interested. My email addy is [email protected] should you like me to post the pics.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Charles, AC6WU

Chad, I sent the pics via email but I could not open them when I tried previewing the attachments. I must have the plague or something.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Chad Veich

I got them Charles and here they are. Please feel free Charles to expound on the descriptions and/or give your opinions regarding what worked and what did not if you would like to.

Vertical fin / rudder completed except for hinging. Charles tack glued them together for final shaping.

Horizontal stab / elevators, also tacked for final shaping.

Charles decided to assemble his own elevator joiner wire rather than purchase the Sig or Brodak item. Not a big job if you are comfortable with your soldering technique!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Charles, AC6WU

Thanks Chad, since I cannot edit the post I'll add my two cents here...

The pictures are a surprise. I don't see all the wood discoloration caused by the glue and filler on the actual parts but the camera sure picks it up.

First, the rudder went together like a well designed puzzle. The only extra bit I had to do was add a filler piece at the top of the fin/rudder where they meet. There was a bit of a gap there (Maybe meant to be there for the little curved bit at the very tip to be added later). I have glued them together with Duco cement (my favorite) in order to shape them as one piece. I only used four drops of glue here. A drop of Dope Thinner softens the glue and the parts separate easily.
Secondly, I did the same with the elevator/stab...everything fell together nicely here too. Well done Chad.

The extra pieces of wood at the bottom of the rudder hold the two lower balsa pieces separate and keeps then from breaking off. They are a bit frail hanging out there. You can see where they have broken from mishandling.

Lastly, I didn't notice that I had to order a control horn for the elevators (duh) so I am making my own. A bit of piano wire, brass and solder is all that's needed. The critical thing here is to measure the distance between the two right-angle bends on the wire. They have to be accurate for proper spacing of the elevators. A practice piece helps to get the proper bend placement after marking the wire. The brass will be soldered up later as it needed to lay flat while I sanded the wood.

More to come...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Chad Veich

The pictures are a surprise. I don't see all the wood discoloration caused by the glue and filler on the actual parts but the camera sure picks it up.
Charles,

I "enhanced" the photos in Photoshop to bring out the detail a bit which, of course, enhances everything else too!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Charles, AC6WU

And i thought you were a friend...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Chad Veich

And i thought you were a friend...
Sorry Charles! []

Though there has not been much in the way of updates work has not stopped. I have completed the second outer wing panel on wing #2 and am currently cutting in the flaps. The flaps on this side are being done with the laser cut parts and I'm documenting the process for the web site. With any luck I should be adding the rest of the construction gallery for the outer wing panels as well as the flaps in the next week or so. Once that is done I will start the construction gallery for the fuselage. Along with that I am trying to squeeze in some building time on the prototype as I would REALLY like to have it done and flying. I certainly thought I would be much further along on it than I am at this point!

One other quick item. I've finished up the instrument panel which will be going in my prototype as can be seen below. This will be an available item and will be included in both the full and partial cockpit kits. It consists of the pre-painted face, complete with laser etched detail, a middle section of clear plastic, and a full color print out of the instrument faces which goes behind. Simple but effective I think. More coming soon!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Chad Veich

I visited Robert Vogel today to get an update and some pics of his "Super Hellcat" build. As you can see the airplane is getting very close and will probably be test flown within the next couple of weeks. If all goes well with the test flights Robert will finish up the details including the bright red trim which should really set it off nicely. The airplane is beautifully built and stunning to look at. It did come in heavier than we expected, about 10 pounds 6 ounces. Pretty much exactly what my prototype weighs. I am of the opinion that some weight could be saved by sheeting the wings and most of the fuselage with 1/16" medium grade balsa rather than 3/32" as designed. I would probably keep the 3/32" on those areas of the fuselage that are planked but all else could be 1/16" and be more than adequate in my opinion.

I'll keep you guys posted with any news of test flights. I can't wait to see this thing go!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
OBDOC
My Feedback: (73)

Chad,
Looking great. I'm working on a Jerry Bates 1/6 Hellcat and am having a hard time finding a decent picture of the guage faces to enlarge for my instrument panel. Where did you find yours?
Thanks
Tim
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Chad Veich

Hi Tim,

I've been watching your build over at RCSB, very nice. I created all the graphics for my instrument panel in Adobe Illustrator based on photos I found on the net and in my books. It's not 100% exact scale but close enough for me. If you have access to Adobe Illustrator I can send you the file enlarged to 1/6 scale. Any good print shop should have some sort of Adobe software that would allow them to print the file for you. Or, I can print it and send it to you via snail mail if you would like.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
OBDOC
My Feedback: (73)

Chad,
Thanks, I have Photoshop but not Illustrator. Thanks for the compliment on the Hellcat at RCSB. Watch for some updates later today, I have almost all of the painting done. I just need to put the Invasion stripes on the fuselage and then work on the cockpit. Please send me that file via email. I'll PM you with the address. When you are ready to sell the plans cowl and canopy for the Yak-11 let me know, I'd like to get a set from you.
Tim
Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Chad Veich

File sent Tim. I opened it up and printed it out of Photoshop but it is not nearly as crisp as it is when printed out of Illustrator.

With any luck the Yak plans/parts will be available this year.

I'll go check out your Hellcat thread later this afternoon. Good luck with it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.