RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I would do buy Lado products ?
51.44%
No I would not buy Lado products ?
48.56%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Lado retracts would you buy ?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
smithcreek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lado retracts would you ?

Great retracts. I hope the new marketing plan works out well for him.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JezP51

Do I know you?!?

What business of yours is this?!?

May I suggest you return to reading your comics.
You were very quick to read the post find the mistake and rub my face in it, but when the very same thing is done to you YOU DON"T LIKE IT do you ? what you know how to dish it out but you can't take it ? since you made it a point to read so carefully one can assume that you missed the part where is says "please keep it friendly " basically the point I was getting at is that I didn't want people getting on here attacking one another for there opinion. What do you do ? not only off topic you pick a spelling error to nit pick and throw an attitude, and now you start attacking others for pointing out to you that hey your not above an honest mistake either ? This is the kind of BS I was trying to avoid here its sad that someone so well versed didn't get that
Old 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well guys seems to me thus far my suspicion was correct at almost dead even for and against, I hope Doug works this out because overall product complaint to me seems less then 1%, those that wouldn't buy I would attest is due to the horrible customer service they received can't really blame them but the latter is also proving to be true as far people that would buy again, one thing that both sides can agree on is the product is an innovative quality product worth every penny and a reasonable amount of time to wait , the trick is for Doug to actually get that formula to work and work well and efficiently if he get it right then we all win
Old 11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
rodneygt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JezP51

Do I know you?!?

What business of yours is this?!?

May I suggest you return to reading your comics.
You were very quick to read the post find the mistake and rub my face in it, but when the very same thing is done to you YOU DON''T LIKE IT do you ? what you know how to dish it out but you can't take it ? since you made it a point to read so carefully one can assume that you missed the part where is says ''please keep it friendly '' basically the point I was getting at is that I didn't want people getting on here attacking one another for there opinion. What do you do ? not only off topic you pick a spelling error to nit pick and throw an attitude, and now you start attacking others for pointing out to you that hey your not above an honest mistake either ? This is the kind of BS I was trying to avoid here its sad that someone so well versed didn't get that

It's like an unwritten law of nature - one who complains of another's spelling or grammar almost inevitably engages in the same conduct and much to their chagrin, they're called on it.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Luftwaffe60

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dude, I have 3 sets of Lado Retracts and they all are working FLAWLESSLY. I've creashed a couple of planes and transfered them to another and they just keep working.
THEY ARE THE BEST!!!! Rock solid and dependable!!!!
You won't EVER regret buying these!!! Can't say enough about Doug and his products. He's been straight forward and honest from day one I bought these!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 PM
flemsus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcflyer79

Dude, I have 3 sets of Lado Retracts and they all are working FLAWLESSLY. I've creashed a couple of planes and transfered them to another and they just keep working.
THEY ARE THE BEST!!!! Rock solid and dependable!!!!
You won't EVER regret buying these!!! Can't say enough about Doug and his products. He's been straight forward and honest from day one I bought these!!
My first set is working like your's. But regardig the latter, you lucky *******
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 AM
LarsL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't bought anything from Lado before, so I fall into the "new prospective buyer" camp. I have read completely, all of the threads related to Lado, their product and their customer support. My analysis is based upon my own experience working for Harley-Davidson, Inc. in positions of product development, supply chain management, and production operations. For 16 years I have managed and been a member of teams that have engineered new motorcycle models, developed the complete supply chains, launched the models for serial production, and ensured that from a service perspective, in-field customers came first. I will emphasize that last point which has always been 100% the case. Here is my summary:

1. Quality - It is clear that the product is of generally good quality as I believe I have seen more posts related to customers being satisfied with their retracts than those being unsatisfied. That said, it is a technical product that with use/age will require servicing. It is not a blender but nor is it an automobile. It is equally clear that those who have retracts that require service have had issues getting them serviced as I have seen more posts related to customers not being able to get parts or get defective/damage retracts back from Lado in a timely manner. Doug needs to set up his business with a separate service organization that takes care of the retracts that are defective or become damaged. This could be as simple as setting up a schedule where service is completed on a set day/time each week. Bottom line, a strategy needs to be in place because either poor field quality or service will kill a product or company.

2. Cost - These retracts are competitively priced. At between $175 to $200 per pair, I have not seen a single post stating that the cost is excessive. That tells me that folks view them as a good deal. Additionally, people have been willing to pay for them knowing that the wait may be as long as a year or even more. I don't believe this would be the case if people were shelling out $350 or possibly more. How the products are priced with the new relationship as Doug has intimated recently may be critical to how the business does going forward. A higher price with higher margins could pay for improvements needed to address shortfalls that so many have identified.

3. Timing - Deliver timing is a well-detailed issue. Even the Lado "defenders" would not be able to maintain that Doug's company has been prompt with filling orders. What they have maintained is that in this hobby/sport, one may have to be willing to wait an undetermined amount of time for a unique product. The other side is less forgiving. Harley-Davidson a few years ago before they had added the increased capacity of their Kansas City plant and changes to their York plant, had a demand exceeding supply that required customers to wait as long as a year. In that case H-D had folks sign up on a waiting list that had an estimated delivery date. H-D had a sophisticated enough production to sales system where they could project delivery timing and communicate that to the customers. They are about a $3.5B business whereas Lado is maybe a $100K business. It is critical to completely develop the supply chain relationship, its capacity and quality. Lado is trying hard, but is under resourced. More resources probably break the Lado business case unless as I mentioned above, the price is raised.

4. Technology - No question that Lado has developed a great technological product. This may be a reach, but a bit like Lithium variant battery technology has really opened a viable alternative to IC power for our aircraft, Lado has a technology product that has certain advantages over air powered retracts. With the right refinement, I think they have the potential to be more dependable. They are "cleaner" and simpler to hook up at the field. Without a lot of additional components, they can be more scale in function. They are less weight or certainly should be. Both air and electric systems have potential for failing, but I submit that a proper Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis coupled with a robust Process FEMA will make the technology just about full proof. Again, Doug and team are surely under-resourced to execute on this.

5. Customer Service - If Lado develops a terrific product, gets it into robust production, sells it at a competitive price, delivers it on the button, and quality is great, then they will seldom have to communicate with customers. That state of nirvana just doesn't exist, so a customer service structure needs to be in place. It isn't that the best companies don't have to exercise customer service with the owners of their product; it is just that they are real good at it. Folks will point at Honda & Toyota automobile companies as top flight car companies whose product seldom breaks down but what really has made them good in the eyes of the public is how they address problems when they do come up. I actually think a better example of great customer service is Hyundai. They had a terrible image and customer service but have turned that around and are now world class.

So... I would take a chance on buying from Lado because of the product's technology and its competitive cost. I would do so recognizing that I would possibly have to wait for an extended time to receive the units and I would not know for certain when that might be. If something went wrong, before I sent them back for service, I would consider fixing it myself if it was mechanical related or having someone else do it on the electronic side. I would do so when Lado's web site says that the items are in stock and I would talk with Lado before placing my order. I recognize that I might not be able to get through to someone and that if I did, that doesn't guarantee anything.

At this time we are all forced to wait and see what Doug is going to do with his business as it relates to distributors/agents. As has been repeatedly stated, I hope that Doug can make some changes, some of which I have alluded to. I also will wait and see what happens with other companies like GZ, E-flite, Likes Line or whoever. As for Robart, Sierra, CJ, Spring Air or other "big name" companies buying Lado, I might be wrong, but I don't see it happening. They have a great deal invested in their product and while I mentioned a number of advantages of the electric technology over the air/spring technology, the old technology has not gone the way of the buggy. It works well and I will continue to use gear from those companies. They should keep their eye on that technology because they don't want to be caught out.

Lars

PS: If I have any spelling, typo, or grammatical errors, please don't flame me.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that had to be the most well thought out post regarding lado retracts in the history of RCU Lado retract threads to date. constructive informative and actually helpful this is the kind of post I had hoped people would post, thank you for your thoughts
Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
MarksHangar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well now, with all their flaws, they must be doing something right as the demand well out runs their ability to produce a product. If they were not delivering a greatly desired product, then they would not be all those fellow RC’ers who are willing to purchase a product that is out of stock and wait what seems to be an undesirable amount of time to receive their purchase. I do not own any of their retracts nor do I have an order pending, but if you look at all those who are willing to wait for delivery, that would seem to indicate to most business folks that Lado is onto something that is hot in our hobby. I bet that there are business owners world wide who would love to be in Lado’s position. But, this is no excuse for failure to communicate with paying customers, even if the world is knocking their door down for their retracts.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
cstefler69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will definitely be ordering Lado Retracts early 2010!  This company is small but I have heard only great stories of quality.  It should give us all hope as someone so small is striving to achieve the American Dream. 
   Yes, there may be delays in order completion, but as someone said if they are sold out that is a great sign.  Lado may be someone's own hobby.  Maybe he made a set for his personal plane and a few friends convinced him to start a web business.  Again, the American Dream.
   And from what I read on their website it seems that this is indeed a second job (aka a hobby growing in to a business).  If he/they are slow to respond to communication, does one ever think they may now be computer savvy?  Assuming one can program and run a lathe is ignorant in thinking he/they are good with dealing with people.  I would also not assume they have a BS in business, just someone who came up with great idea's that WORK!
   I hope they stay in business and grow healthy is these weak economic times, and I hope they don't get too big and move to India or China. 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Chad Veich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with everyone here who has related that Lado is a small business with few people and that delays and long lead times on delivery are inevitable. I have no problem with that and, from reading these threads, neither do most other folks. The thing that prevents me from considering any type of order with this company is the reports of out-right lying about when an item has been shipped. I find it very hard to trust my hard earned money to anyone who tells his customers that items have shipped when, in fact, they have not. I dealt with a similar situation some years back and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I can see no justification for this kind of behaviour, whatever the circumstances.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
ohnoucdat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow lots of reading between the 2 threads. First I want to apoligize(opps already) to the spelling police in advance. Now I'll have to agree with voting NO based on the lying and lack of customer support, which is none. Then here's what really sets it off, he finally makes a responce on the other thread, that he's been sick and in hospital, hope he is doing better, or wait is that a lie also, once a liar always a liar. On top of that he sugests that you will no longer buy direct from Lado, but from a distributor, and we will raise the price. I'm going with he's picking up his toys and going home, come on what reputable company would be a distributor of his product. Thirty five pages of mostly complaints, could you imagine the log jam of back orders that the distributor would have to handle, on top of the phone calls that would actually get answered, and email's returned, how long would that last? Not for very long I would think. I can't see why anyone would do business with someone like this, no matter how wonderful his/her product is.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
jim pettis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some of you may have missed some of this thread if you still plan on ordering anything from Lado Tech in the near future.

He has stated that he is filling only back ordered items, and then ceasing direct sales to new customers. His site lists all his products as Out Of Stock.

He claims he will be dealing through distributors in the future, but as it's been said, a distributor with a reputation is going to be even more unforgiving if supply can not be met.

Hopefully, Doug does get things together, and starts back up dealing direct.

His product is excellent. He just needs some help with the whole running a business/communication issue.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow lots of reading between the 2 threads. First I want to apoligize(opps already) to the spelling police in advance.

LOL Great suff !!!

Just a thought guys........ has anyone considered that maybe its not so much that Doug is lying about shipped orders and shipping status, but rather due to his being very disorganized and being overwhelmed he honestly doesn't know what he's doing at most of any given time ? the sporadic nature of some orders getting filled and others not and almost never in the proper order I think this could be proof of this concept, I have spoken to Doug on a few occasions and he doesn't seem to come off as a lier not to me anyway , I may be wrong but I do think it would explain allot of the shortcomings this company has had without getting personal and sinister about why certain orders are filled and others are not, not everything is a conspiracy guys
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Woody218

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you ask someone straight out, "when will such and such be back in stock?", and he tells you "next week", and it's 4 months later, and they're NOT back in stock, is that just an oversight? If he's really that disorganized, how does he intend to keep up with the demands that distributors will place on him? I guarantee you that if he treats many distributors the way he has treated the guys he's shafted on here, he won't be in business very long...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
thebluemax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe he is a very honest person that wants to do the right thing.

I think the problem is he is just overwhelmed with the demands of running the business. The different aspects of development, production, shipping, support, book keeping, etc.... required to run the business is a lot to handle. Plus the fact his products have taken off (no pun intended) with more success than what was probably expected.

From what I understand it is he and his family that are running the business. My guess is they are not professional business people either. So they are going through a hugh learning curve as well. I think given the time and I know it already has been some time, I believe he will get it worked out.

I was one of the ones that had to wait a long time, had shipping issues, and the lack of communication. The lack of communication was the most frustrating part of it all. The anticipation of getting them and then nothing is what bothered me. But, once I see the turnaround in his business practices, I will definitely buy from him again.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am starting my own retract company , I am disorganized , lack proper eletrical power , may move to a new building , under funded , get sick often , hate communication with emial please email your money via Pay Pal asap . I am a good guy and I stayed at a holiday inn last night .

Ok back on facts , I know its been said before but now its reality , the Horison team with the new Bonanza features there new eletric retracts (mini) the guys un the video clearly states when refering to the small retracts "if you think we are stopping at this size well " and he has to catch himself from saying too much!!!

So good news my friendly friends , you can wait for Lados[:'(] , you can send me your money to Swampland Retracts , CO LDM , CEO to 3rd Trailer On the left , ask for Betty Sue , she maybe trailer park trash but she is all mine [X(]and one hell of customer servace agent , or you can wait for the boreing old Horison with there great customer servace and excellant products but what fun is that ?[:-]
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

put me down for two sets LDM are you also taking pre orders ? LOL Oh and should I just send you a blank check or do you have some pricing in mind ? " couldn't resist LOL "
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Zero , your a friend , so for you , FREE and I will even include a signed pic of Betty !!!! I just need $300 to cover shipping , its difficult to get things shipped out if the swamp lol
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
thebluemax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW!!! tough crowd out there tonight....
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 AM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just having some fun , but seriously , Horison is coming with them , I expect you will see them by spring or Fall 2010.
Look up the new really cool mini bonanza post , great video of the retracts in action and you will see what I mean and what is coming
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM
thebluemax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LDM

Just having some fun , but seriously , Horison is coming with them , I expect you will see them by spring or Fall 2010.
Look up the new really cool mini bonanza post , great video of the retracts in action and you will see what I mean and what is coming

I understand. Just was not sure with who. I don't want to be mis-understood with my comments I have posted.

I am not defending Doug or his business practices in anyway. I disagree with how he is doing business with us. I was just giving my opinion based on the question asked and the conversations I had with him while going through getting my retracts. I think he tries but his trying does not cut the mustard.

The first thing I totally don't like is that he should not be charging you until the order is going to be shipped. I thought there was some kind of law against that but maybe his retracts are considered "custom made" so he can get away with that. I don't know as I am not lawyer. Not even a sh** house lawyer.

If you order something and your told it is a 2 or 3 week wait, I can deal with that. I believe most people in this hobby do too. Usually on a building project you can work around that. Unless it is something where you definitely cannot continue until you get it. But that does not happen that often.

However, at the end of that 2 or 3 week period I should be hearing that they are on their way. If not, due to a problem of some kind, I should be hearing there was a problem and it will be a few more days before they do go out. Would I be happy about the delay. Most likely not, but at least hearing about the delay is a heck of a lot better than being left in the dark wondering what is going on.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:37 PM
ZERO-322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very well said And I agree 100%
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bluemax , yes very well said , especially the part about not chargeing you until you receive the goods or at least they are shipped , great point and I agree with your post 100% .
Again , I was joking in general on the other post (not the ones started by Zero ) , the totally very long boreing post about all the reasons why we cant get them after you pay and they said they were in stock .
Again it wont matter soon , trust me , when a big player like Horison see the $$$$$ and says we want in , they will be in !!
I was not joking in the other lado post on RCU when I said he really should sell and sell now .
If he has a good design with the proper management under a one of the bigger companys that have been around a long time , Doug could get some nice change for his name "lado" and sit back and reap the moderate profits without the stress of running the business .
Its what so many nicth companys , look up the success of Snapple Ice tea and how they started so small , carved a nitch and then sold !!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
thebluemax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LDM,
I'm good...... No problems here. My previous post to yours could be taken the other way and it was not intended to be. So I just wanted to clarify.

I agree with you in that once the big boys get in the game it is another story. If Horizon takes it over then these issues will most likely go away. I say most likely as I and anyone with Vista 64 has a driver issue with their Data Transfer Software for the 9303, 10X, and 12X radios. It is going on 6 months and so far no resolution and their communication on the issue for the last 3 months is almost non existnet.

That is another story and not one for this thread.

Search this Thread