Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Lado retracts would you buy ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I would do buy Lado products ?
51.44%
No I would not buy Lado products ?
48.56%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Lado retracts would you buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lado retracts would you ?

Anyone know were I could get a custom 7/16 strut insert pre bent at 5 degrees that would work with a Lado retract, I so don't want to use the wire
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

7/16" ?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
ZERO-322

The insert that slides into the strut to hold the wire this is 7?16 in diameter, instead of a streight piece one pre bent at 5 degress would work out perfect making the bend instead of the wire making the bend
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
TOMAPOWA
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

The insert that slides into the strut to hold the wire this is 7?16 in diameter, instead of a streight piece one pre bent at 5 degress would work out perfect making the bend instead of the wire making the bend
hm... I did not think Lado made retracts that accepted 7/16" struts ??? Maybe you are using another retract manufacturer with Lado's retrofit actuator?

Post Note:..Ah... I now think I know what you are looking for... an insert (say for Robostruts) that accept the wire which is inserted into the Lado retract... but the hole drilled into the insert would have a 5 degree offset..... Right? I just searched and Robart does not sell these (I thought they did at one point?). If you have a machinist friend, he could probably make you a few rather easily...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ZERO-322,

Sierra Precision had done something similar for me in the past and I'm sure that Lenny at Shindin Machine could do it as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 AM
ZERO-322

Chad my brain must have seized I meant 3/16" the wire is 3/16" the inside diameter of the strut I am using is 7/16" sorry for the confusion
Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: yard-dart
Yeah, I'd like another go at it. If you like this product, fine. I'm glad they work good for you. I'm glad you've got time to sit around and wait on an order, not having any idea of when they'll show. If that's what you call good service, so be it.......................
Customer service has little, if anything to do with the statements that I quoted from you. Your statements were directed at the so called dis-advantages of Lados, as compared you what you percieve is better: air operated retracts. I countered with my opinion on which type is simpler, easier to install, and more reliable: Lados. I NEVER stated and/ or implied that Lado customer service was/ is good.

.............. Do they have a good product? Some say yes, some say no.......................
Gauging by the reaction of this poll, I would venture that the majority consider the Lados to be the best. That they are a very good product does not seem to be in question here.

.......................As you can see, it's obvious where Lado is headed.......south. If they can't keep up with the small customer base they have now, there's not a snowball's chance in hell they can keep up with the demands of outside distrubutors. It's been a slow bleed, and Lado's about out of blood.
Hopefully, you are wrong. It is simply to good of a product line to go down in flames.
OK, before this turns into a spitting match (which I, nor RCU, wants to happen), I'm going to bow out on this note. I've never personally owned a set of Lados. The first time I ever heard of them I thought they were a very good concept. I though they were a bit pricey, but a good concept. Then, one day a guy I know shows up at the field with a spanking new Mustang ARF with a set of Lados installed. They worked flawlessly for about two weeks and then all of a sudden, one day they simply wouldn't work, at all. He sent them back in. He waited about two months and new ones showed up. Since the time he sent them off, the guy decided to go back to college. He needed money for school, another podnuh of mine bought the plane, and it hasn't seen the air since. So, as far as I know, they still work, but I can honestly say that I have witnessed first-hand Lados in action.

Like many new electronic/electric gadgets, there's gonna be issues/bugs to work out. They've simply not been on the market long enough for me to have a "thourough" assesment of them. But what I have seen/witnessed so far, I didn't like. They take way too long to get their product out, and their product's not proven. That is why I voted the way I did. So, no, they're not the best. They are in a category all their own, so they have nothing to compare to them. You can't really compare air to electronic because air is all about set-up if you want them to work flawlessly. If you want Lados to work flawlessly, you've first got to hope that they work at all.

I'm not here to bash Lado, I'm simply stating the facts of what I've seen so far. I treat Obamas so-called presidency the same way.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM
TOMAPOWA

Wow!
One of the best comments yet...
Could not have nailed it on the head more directly if you tried...

In due time, you will see more electric retracts to compare them too!

Proven designs require not just engineering diligence, but also extensive testing, and in some cases, (if you don't do a good job with design & testing)... user feedback!

Like many new electronic/electric gadgets, there's gonna be issues/bugs to work out. They've simply not been on the market long enough for me to have a ''thourough'' assesment of them. But what I have seen/witnessed so far, I didn't like. They take way too long to get their product out, and their product's not proven. That is why I voted the way I did. So, no, they're not the best. They are in a category all their own, so they have nothing to compare to them. You can't really compare air to electronic because air is all about set-up if you want them to work flawlessly. If you want Lados to work flawlessly, you've first got to hope that they work at all.

I'm not here to bash Lado, I'm simply stating the facts of what I've seen so far. I treat Obamas so-called presidency the same way.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 AM
ZERO-322

Anyone have an update on lado status ? anyone have any news ? anything new ?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The web site still works. Of course that is about the only thing that does. I guess when that doesn't it's over.

Everything is still out of stock, and I still haven't gotten the rest of my order.

Looks like everything is normal to me
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM
TOMAPOWA

I got an email from the California BBB a few days ago informing me that they are unable to contact him (excerpt below)...

"Complaint ID#: XXXXXXXXXXX
Business Name: Lado Technologies

The Better Business Bureau has made several attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that we have not received a response from the company.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Reports on companies in our service area. This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. In the case of your complaint, the company's failure to promptly give attention to the matter will be reflected in the report we give to consumers about them.
"

Weird thing is he did eventually return my $$ I sent... why would he not contact the BBB to inform them of such.... ???
Too bad because he really had a great niche... I wish you all that are out of $$ good luck...
Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM
ZERO-322

just out of curiosity , but if your money was refunded prior to the email above, why didn't you withdraw your complaint ?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
TOMAPOWA

just out of curiosity , but if your money was refunded prior to the email above, why didn't you withdraw your complaint ?
I had... a week or so after my refund... according to the online status... it's closed... but I still receive monthly emails from them... go figure. Maybe it's that "lack of communications" thing again... Got the BBB pissed now too...[8D]
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM
ZERO-322

Well its good you at least got your money back, so that's a good ! If Doug was able to get it together I'm sure and everyone would agree with me HE WOULD MAKE A KILLING ! I do think that other company if they haven't caught on yet they will, lado has been in the position to corner the market for some time now and hasn't really capitalized on it, what a shame
Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
TOMAPOWA

Well its good you at least got your money back, so that's a good ! If Doug was able to get it together I'm sure and everyone would agree with me HE WOULD MAKE A KILLING ! I do think that other company if they haven't caught on yet they will, lado has been in the position to corner the market for some time now and hasn't really capitalized on it, what a shame
You know though... I could be wrong but I think from the sounds of it, he ran into more than just PR problems... I think he ran into a design issue or two.... what you don't much about is his gear breaking down (and it's happening). Few mentioned their issues but for Doug to have recently say he was having a "bearing" issue... that is a big deal (and I don't think it was one of his delay tactics ). I have talked with at least 6 ppl here on RCUniverse and RCGroups who had Lado retract issues. Most just stop working and sent them back...some got replacements, some are still waiting. Some even smoked (?) up a few Lados. I'm real curious how many Lado owners are out there and more importantly, I'd like to know how much time they have on their Lados. Most Lado owners I've talked with still have not installed/tested their Lados. Makes me wonder if they came out into the market too fast.... like most unique, cool "I need to have" gadgets!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 AM
ZERO-322

I too have read about those same issues and to be honest I purchased my last set of 60-1 in the beginning of Sept shortly after Doug reported that he had that bearing issue, this report concerned me so I unpacked them and bench tested, I have cycled them at least 50 times or so without a problem . So maybe I got lucky ?

I have two other sets of Lados (60-1 and 60-2) on my P51 and my P47 flew all season without a single hiccup from either of them . Funny thing is I bought a total of three sets from Doug on three separate occasions and not once did I have a single problem the first set took almost a month to arrive but the other two were at my door within 10 days of ordering . maybe I was just lucky I guess

Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TOMAPOWA
Makes me wonder if they came out into the market too fast.... like most unique, cool ''I need to have'' gadgets!
Well, Doug tinkers around now for YEARS...

He has new Haas CNC Mill and Lathe, both machines are way over $300.000 - as I know Doug they are not payed off - I'm pretty sure they are leased. That means he has to put down every month around $10.000 for the lease.

This money comes not from some retracts - in my opinion he does contract work. When ever he has a spare minute he makes some retracts. If he had a week he could catch up with any back order and put some stuff on the shelf.

But, he has to pay bills so he takes money and whenever there is time may you get your stuff done.

This is not the worst thing - the worst thing are the lies, yeah I have your part in the mail and he gives you a bogus tracking number. Many times happened also to me. This was 2007, I kept quiet not my thing to bash....................now after 2 years NOTHING is changed. Same 'ol song. He have to thank God RC guys are friendly otherwise, oh hold on for a sec did he not say he was in the hospital recently[X(]

I returned my retracts and got my money back - after I threatened him with filing charges at the DA office in his county.

Yes they are cool gadgets and they work, mostly.

A must have? Nah, not with this headache...

Sorry Doug - you had the ball and dropped it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again
Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
ZERO-322

OK Lado is in CA right ? can anyone anyone at all from the area physically go out there and get the real skinny on what's going on ? if I wasn't half way across the country I would go myself. ANYONE WILLING TO GO I'LL SPRING FOR GAS MONEY AND LUNCH. I just think it would be cool to get some real answers to the rumors and speculation on what the real story is ANY TAKERS ?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

there was a gentleman on the other thread that was going to do just that, haven't heard a word from him
Old 12-13-2009, 02:59 PM
rgm762

hope his link works, if not, it's post #631 and #676

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9224126

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9233545
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
ZERO-322

Yeah I know I seen that but I don't think he ever went, he went MIA after post 676 unless someone ones to send out a search party for him as well LOL , someone on here has to be from the area or close enough I am serious MY OFFER STANDS to anyone willing to go I'll send you a couple of bucks for gas money and lunch on me. to bring back the actual story on what's going on

questions I would like answered

What percentage of his business is retracts or hobby related ?

How big is his actual customer base ?

What are the future plans for Lado ?

and any other tid bits would be great !
Old 12-13-2009, 03:30 PM
rgm762

to me, we can almost answer some of those questions by answering one. "How big is his actual customer base ?" can't be very big really, just not that many pilots that use his product or any retracts for that matter, so that means his retract bussiness "shouldn't" be a very big part of of it
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
rgm762

maybe to put in some sort of prospective, out of more 410,000 RCU members, only 158 have voted? might show just how much of a market there is or isn't. i believe G Pete has hit it pretty much on the mark. he has to make these in his spare time, and with all his overhead, there's just no way he's making a killing of of these, other than taking the money and not delivering the product, AND if he did plan on making a living solely off the retracts, then he's done, creditors will be after him very shortly, if their not already, so he'll proably have to sell the patent, just my thoughts
Old 12-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I find it quite weird that 51% have said they would do business with him again.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
rgm762

my guess is that "if" there was somebody else making them too, that number wouldn't be that high. I mean he's our only choice right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.