Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Blue Nose P-51 + Saito??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger 9 Blue Nose P-51 + Saito??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 AM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Blue Nose P-51 + Saito??

Im know Im going to be told by someone after reading this that there are 300 or so threads on here that relate to this question and yes there may be but Icant find a one that answers this question. Who has tried the Saito 100 , 115, 120, 125 on the plane. Im looking the ideal engine for the plane. My concern is the weight problem (wing loading) that Ihave read about with the plane. Another problem is the expense of the larger engines. If someone has tried the 100 and it flys it just fine then Idont need a brand new 125 just so that Ican try to fly the covering off the wings. So Ill try this again, what engines are you guys running and liking in the new H9 Blue Nose even if it isnt a Saito but obviously what ever it is it will have to be an inverted runner?
Thanks And Happy Holidays
Don
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 PM
charlie1960

Default RE: Hanger 9 Blue Nose P-51 + Saito??

Satio 100 will fly the plane fine.
I used a 100 on mine then found a low time 125 for a decent price at a swap.
ran a 14x8 MAS on the 100 i havent had a chance to wring out the 125. The plane land well with flaps.....it isnt too hot to handle......actually looks rather scale landing.
Take off is a bit long to make sure you have airspeed to fly. this plane is a bit heavier than the World Models 60 Mustang i was flying.
dont be afraid to run the 100, if you have a 125.....id go that route. no substitute for cubic inches.
The plane doesnt fly "heavy". Doesnt even land "heavy".... Just pay attention to the CG. whats stated in the manual, is said to be a bit tail heavy. mine is 4.5 to 4.75 from LE at the fuse....balanced upside down. the 100 will give you plenty of speed. Verticle climb will drop off rather fast. It will loop from level flight. Climb out on take off is great, steady and strong. now.....all this information is with the 100. Ive yet to get air under the 125. Weather, Life, and all that gets in the way.

i hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99899.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1325567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46434.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1325568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29597.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1325569  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 AM
dspadler

Thanks Charlie Ireally appreciate that. Well thats what Iwas doing, trying to find a 125 at a deal but would go with a 100 because of price and weight. Wonder how a 120 would be? Iknow as far as power Id be better off with the 120 than the 100 but then the 120 weighs more than the 125.You can buy a 120 pretty reasonable.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
dspadler

Charlie Ive been out of flying a couple of years and my last warbird was the H9 P-47 with a Satio 100 I believe.   I flew it ok with no problems just hated the retracts as I did on my H9 Texan but anyway my question is after reading some of these threads....... how am I going to get along with this P-51?  Im beginning to wonder if Ive over stepped my ability to fly one of these beautiful birds.    I was at the club meeting tonight and someone in the hobby shop said....man you getting the new H9 P-51, I hear its a hoss to fly.   My comment was dont know only what Ive read but Ive read that it takes speed going out and speed coming in that it does have a problem dropping its left wing at times with incorrect airspeed.   Ive never had a P-51but when I saw this one I was like I was on my first real date!! LOL.   Do I need to back up and change mind to something alitle more forgiving that doesnt look as nice or will this bird fly and as forgiving as the h9 p-47.    What am I going to run into getting this plane up and down.    I m, sceptacle about buying the plane since all the hoopla about it being tweeky.   Let me know...you know Ive always heard mustang stories and mustang stories and have acutally seen some of them happen and most to tthem were during a take off.
thanks   Let me know if I need to leave it at the hobby shop,
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM
charlie1960

To be honest, i dont think this plane is forgiving. I think if you let your guard down, she'll bite you in the ass.
If you havent flow in a couple years.....i sincerely suggest you find something a bit more easier to fly for a time.....to get your wings back so to speak. This plane, as all warbids are, is built to be flown...it wont fly itself. she'll like speed. Every Mustang ive flown did.
The PTS mustang, for what its worth, is a easy one to fly, not super easy.....but a bit more forgiving because of its light weight.
Ive flown the PTS, owned 2 in fact. WM petie 2 and this new hangar 9. hold right rudder during take of roll. Use UP elevator during the start of your roll to hold the tail down.....gradually ease off to neutral as the speed comes up. Advance throttle slowly and deliberatetly. hold right rudder thru your climb out...... do not try to yank her up off the ground before its ready to fly. she'll let you know when. Tail comes up.....she'll get light...and try to lift off on her own. In slow speed manuvers you want to use the rudder to turn instead of the ailierons...thats something i dont think many people realize. Most of the stalls ive experienced where in turns on the set up for landing. keep a bit of throttle on untill you cross the threshold, with flaps down the plane will slow nicely, and with a bit of power you can keep her in the air. dont make turns too tight on final with slow airspeed. flatter you can keep the wings the better. this plane flys well.......flys pretty. as long as you remember its a Mustang. I dont beleive this plane is a sport scale plane. meaning being easier by design to fly easy.....i beleive this plane is more scale. meaning it will have the same bad habits of the real thing. But, that being said...i love flying this plane because of this. because it has funny bad habits. because not everyone wants to fly one. If you have any doubts....leave it on the counter.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
robotc96

i saw that plane in my rc magazine i couldn't afford it