Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GP PT 19

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP PT 19

Hello all
Thinking about buying a GP PT 19 for my first warbird (and first Gasser). It is powered with a SPE 26. I haved talked to some of the guys at a local field where the guy selling it is a member. They all say that it is a great flyer. Just wondering if anyone had any comments on the plane and or the engine, The guy also recoverd it in fabric (not sure which Fabric) to give it a more scale appearance. Price is right, going to look at it this weekend. Any thing in particular I should look for? I have read all the post on the SPE line engines. Appears that the ignition on some of the earlier engines was an issue. I'm thinking that after talking to the guys at the field that I might get it, but want to be sure that this setup is good to go. Will be RTF with my 2.4 Rx. guy said it has two 6v Rx batteries. I think I know what additional field gear I need for gas. Will ask the guy what mix he's been running for fuel. Merry Christmas to me!!!
Here are the spec from GP
Wingspan: 82.5 in (2090 mm)
Wing Area: 1027 in² (66.25 dm²)
Weight: 9.75-10.5 lb (4.4-4.8kg)
Wing Loading: 21.8-23.5 oz/ft² (66.4-71.7 g/dm²)
Length: 64.5 in (1639 mm)
Engine Required: 2-stroke .61-.91 cu in (10-15 cc) or 4-stroke .91-1.20 cu in (15-20 cc)

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: GP PT 19

not famillar with the engine but do have the plane with a magnum fs 120 flys great,have the robart struts for it and made a big difference on grass runway.do you need the manual for cg and control throws?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:01 AM
billd76

ORIGINAL: whatiwork4

not famillar with the engine but do have the plane with a magnum fs 120 flys great,have the robart struts for it and made a big difference on grass runway.do you need the manual for cg and control throws?
Thanks . I haven't bought it yet, the guy couldn;t get the engine to fire. told him to call when he got it running. It has been stored for about a year. I'm certain that he just needed to charge the ignition battery. I'm little worried that the carb may be gummed up with fuel too, since it's been stored for so long. Shame, it is a nice looking plane. Will see, I hope he gets it running as the price is right. Will let you know if I get it. I forgot to ask about the manual. Will let you know if I need that too. I like the century fabric that the plane is covered with.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak to the Great Planes version, but have a Hanger 9 version almost the same size and it's probably the best flier in my hanger and performs aerobatics very well even wonderful lumcevaks sometimes doing four reverse tumbles... though a friend has the same plane with a Ryobi gas engine and can't. After a repair it was hard to crank out the maneuver and I figured that the CG got changed up slightly but months later when changing to a new transmitter it was discovered that I'd had high throttle position limited slightly. I've read that the lumcevak is a three axis maneuver with pitch, roll and the gyro action of the engine. Evidently the writer new what they were talking about.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
whatiwork4

the carbs are really no problem just flush them with fresh gas what happens is the gas evaporates and leaves the oil which is too thick for the diaphram pump .there are also some fine screen filters that can get clogged that may need to be cleaned.all part of gas engines.if you are afraid of taking things apart stay away as you will have to eventually.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
billd76

ORIGINAL: whatiwork4

the carbs are really no problem just flush them with fresh gas what happens is the gas evaporates and leaves the oil which is too thick for the diaphram pump .there are also some fine screen filters that can get clogged that may need to be cleaned.all part of gas engines.if you are afraid of taking things apart stay away as you will have to eventually.
No Problem with tearing things apart, but feel that if I'm buying a plane I should'nt have to worry about it right away. I mean, there's no way to tell for sure that the engine is good unless I see that prop spinning on it's on. This plane is supposed to be RTF. I just can't see laying down the cash for the plane, unless it's RTF as advertised.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
billd76

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I can't speak to the Great Planes version, but have a Hanger 9 version almost the same size and it's probably the best flier in my hanger and performs aerobatics very well even wonderful lumcevaks sometimes doing four reverse tumbles... though a friend has the same plane with a Ryobi gas engine and can't. After a repair it was hard to crank out the maneuver and I figured that the CG got changed up slightly but months later when changing to a new transmitter it was discovered that I'd had high throttle position limited slightly. I've read that the lumcevak is a three axis maneuver with pitch, roll and the gyro action of the engine. Evidently the writer new what they were talking about.
I'm a rookie, I have no idea what a Lumcevak is!! I really want this plane. I sincerely hope that he calls me tomorrow and says he's got it running.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM
whatiwork4

you could always make an offer for the plane less the engine then install your choice.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
AA5BY

Bill, The lumcevak is an aerobatic flight maneuver. If I recall, it is a Czechoslovakian word for headache. It is entered as a full powered snap roll and after 2-3 counts, the elevator is thrown from full up to full down while holding full throttle, full rudder and full aileron. If the timing is right and the plane capable, it has recovered horizontal wings and rolls (tumbles backwards) on its pitch axis and will do so up to four times with three being the maneuver goal.

What happens (I think) is that following the snap roll that pitches and rolls the plane, at the moment it gets fully inverted in a high alpha inverted attitude, the elevator is thrown from full up to full down so that it paddles the stalled plane assisting the gyro actions of the motor to produce a wing roll and the down elevator position then catches air when the tail falls to accelerate or maintain the tumbling to reproduce it all the while the wing is stalled and the ailerons are fully ineffective and the rudder is countering engine thrust to hold the wings level. Something like that anyhow.

I can say this... it becomes a lot more exciting once one has a plane that will do it because it has a special kind of grace to it.

Best of luck with your proposed acquisition.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
billd76

Guy called and said he found the spark plug was loose, and the igntion battery was low. Once he tightened the plug and charger the battery he said it started on the first flip. Anyway told him that I would come up Tuesday night to pick it up and that of course. I would still need to hear it run. I'm pretty excited about it. Will spend the winter getting it as scale as I can. it will be hard putting on Army stickers instead of Marines.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
whatiwork4

good for you,
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
AA5BY

Glad it is coming together.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
RACJ

AA5BY,What engine are you running in your H9 PT. I have a airframe I need to set up. THANKS