Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which P-51 ARF?

I've decided to maybe join the great ranks of P-51s out there, but which one? 60 to 1.20 FS size. I want to use an RCGF 20 cc rear carb gas engine that I already have. Partial to Spring Air Retracts. Hanger 9 Blue Nose, Sig P-51B or Great Planes P-51. All are close to the same size and all have flaps and all are available at local shops around here. Which would you choose and why? The 20cc gasser weights 38 oz with muffler and ignition.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Which P-51 ARF?

KMP because they have the best scale outline, size and finish in my opinion and simply superior all round for me for this size of ARF P-51. Also there is a great range of after market accessories available for upgrades such as Sierra retracts and Dragon pilot figures.

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...d8fff3530f17ce
    http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...d8fff3530f17ce
    http://www.sierraprecision.com/prod13.html
    http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70094-p2.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had over 50 hours on my "stock" Sig P-51B before I donated it to another person. It was by far the best flying plane for the money. It was totally stock, except I was using electric power. Not one problem with the plane.

Jeff
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since you have flown 17 years I would recommend the Top Flite mustang. It has good flight characteristics and a proven design. The Sig plane would be next of the planes you list. Another mustang you might want to consider is the world/airborne models mustang. It's not quite as scale as the Top Flite but flies a bit better.

I have flown the Top Flite and the world/airborne so I can vouch for them.

I have always changed the retracts on arfs over to Spring Air - I did not use the world/airborne retracts but changed them over to 700 series Spring Air. The Top Flite mustang I flew was built from the kit and had the Robart 600 series plastic frame retracts Top Flite recommended then - these are very weak retracts and I would highly recommend not to use them . I don't have an opinion on the retracts that come with the Top Flite arf as I haven't looked them over or used them.

Recently I have bought a set of Robarts 700 series air retract/spring extend to try - I haven't mounted them in a plane yet but they look ok. I have been using 7/16 oleos in my retracts for several years now.

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kentuchycolonel'

I havn't really considered the EMS P-51, 71" wing span. It cost no more the the smaller ones I mentioned and I would still be able to get it into my vehicle. A 26cc gasser cost less than the Saito 20cc gasser which is probably the only gasser light enough for a 60 size warbird. The cost of the retracts on the VQ Warbirds website is not too bad. Do you have one? Do you have it together, have you flow it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the P-51B. I am in the process of assembly , have retracts (was going to use Robart spring air, but decided on the Sierra) on the way and a 26cc gasoline engine for a power plant. It is a sweet looking plane that I am very impressed with. You get a really nice plane for the cost.
    I would recommend dealing with Tomas at VQ warbirds. Customer service is top notch and if he tells you something, you can believe him.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you get the esm mustang be sure to read the threads about their planes- they have had some issues- especially be careful of the Cg. There aren't many build threads about the mustangs, but KentuckyColonel may sort it out for you. From what I have read here Tomas is the guy to deal with if you go with ESM.

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got on Thomas' website and looked at all the EMS planes listed. Oh my God. So many warbirds and so little time, money and space in the basment and garage. P-51B yes, Hellcat coming, P-47, FW 190, all look great. What is one to do? Since most of the 60 size warbirds are a little small for the weight of the 20cc gassers, I guess l'll have to go up in size a notch. Now I have to decide if I want the P-51B or the Hellcat or FW.???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second that ! ESm war birds from Vq especially there P51 d and B version definatly worth a look

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I third that! I'm looking to get the P-51B too! Possibly running a RCV 120SP, so I can hang a 4-Bladed prop!

Come on Tax Return!

It\'\'s gotta be scale!
    Private Pilot - Aircraft Single Engine Land

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RBean, Here are some pic. of the ESM P-51 I justed finished. They are great planes and Tomas at VQ is who you want to deal with. Here is also some Pic 0of the KI-84 I am finishing
    JD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33586.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	1327917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21441.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1327918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78443.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	1327919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94024.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	1327920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yk66429.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	1327921  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kb44135.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1327922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oq20909.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	1327923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn47034.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	1327924  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is that 4 blade prop the same that you use to fly it with or is it for static display only ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I sold the plane to Jim he is going to break the motor in on a 2 blade and then switch to the 4 blade. It is a Zinger 18x5
    JD