Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Classic Marutaka JU-87 Stuka Kit - need info and history!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Classic Marutaka JU-87 Stuka Kit - need info and history!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Marutaka JU-87 Stuka Kit - need info and history!

I just bought what appears to be an old Marutaka/Royal JU-87 Stuka. It is basically a '.60' size all balsa/ply kit built. It is mostly completed and has sat around for a long time in storage. Control surfaces and rods all installed; wing /fuselage complete and painted. No servos ever installed. Wing has bellcranks for flaps/ailerons. Of course it needs lots of TLC. Flap hinge damage; covering is buckling in places; Cowl is two piece balsa (unfinished); missing canopy; super tigre G90 installed.

I will post some pics shortly. My question to you : Has anyone ever built this one? Any advice, thoughts, or old plans laying around? I need some resources. The original builder really spent a lot of time and attention to detail- Looks like he etched panel lines into the covering. Hand painted the plane and shaped scale scoops into the cowling with dope. I couldn't say no in getting this ol' bird flying!

Any help is greatly appreciated! How old is this thing?!?!

_Rotor
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM
RC-CAKES

Default RE: Classic Marutaka JU-87 Stuka Kit - need info and history!

Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91555.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1327469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90940.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1327470  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM
RC-CAKES

more pics..

Name:	Om32342.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1327471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48289.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1327472  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't give you any info or history on it , but i did want to chime in and say your are one lucky guy with that purchase ! please make sure you post some pic when you get her all dolled up !
Old 12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
RC-CAKES

Will do. I can post some progress shots as I go along. Won't start until after new year. Stay tuned.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 PM
ispirit99

RotorWing Nut. Just shot over to your thread. You are one lucky guy! Looks like you have a lot to work with there. Seems like I see some great potential to add a nice scale cockpit. Think you might take a page out of AMERICO's book and craft up some scale canons for her. I will follow your thread with great intrest. Will keep you posted on my Stuka assembly as well. TONY.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is your canopy I have purchased from him before the parts are excellent reproductions http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-Marutaka-S...item53dee6656a

he also has plans for sale as well, with instruction pages, I wouldn't want to call Royal instructions a booklet, there really basic, but the plans come in handy since they have instructions on the pages, cool stuff looks like the builder took his time and added some nice scale details.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
RC-CAKES

Thanks for the link! I actually have this and the plans on order and it should be here any day now. I am looking forward to studying the plans so I can start checking the rigging and making repairs.

I will post progress pics. I will most likely get the bird airworthy first then start the cosmetic repairs- using better decals and a more accurate paint scheme and a bomb will be cool. Looking the engine mounting - it may need to be reinforced more. I may replace the G90 with a 4-stroke.. maybe a SA-100 or even an OS. Not sure. I think a YS110 would be too much and better suited for a fighter.

The original cowl is a 2 piece wood. I see that fiberglass spec. makes a set for this model too. Perhaps I will preserve the original as a spare...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: RotorWing Nut

Thanks for the link! I actually have this and the plans on order and it should be here any day now. I am looking forward to studying the plans so I can start checking the rigging and making repairs.

I will post progress pics. I will most likely get the bird airworthy first then start the cosmetic repairs- using better decals and a more accurate paint scheme and a bomb will be cool. Looking the engine mounting - it may need to be reinforced more. I may replace the G90 with a 4-stroke.. maybe a SA-100 or even an OS. Not sure. I think a YS110 would be too much and better suited for a fighter.

The original cowl is a 2 piece wood. I see that fiberglass spec. makes a set for this model too. Perhaps I will preserve the original as a spare...
The Saito 100 would swing a threebladed prop that would really make that Stuka stand out. JC Whitney makes a small electric siren if you wanted to go that route too. There aint nothin like a Screamin Stuka.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
RC-CAKES

Update:

I just received the instructions and plans for the airplane. I ordered it from the above link. I wasn't sure it was a match but with the research, I was confident. Turns out - it is! Matched the cowling to the plans and found a few part #s and those matched. It's great to have the plans so I can reproduce any part needed. I also ordered the canopy and it looks great.

THe next step is to closely inspect the rigging, true alignment of the tail, wings, chord..etc. SInce the sheeting is bowed up a bit on the bottom of the wing, I may elect to pop that loose to inspect the inner workings.

After that - repairing the flaps/aileron damage and install new hinges. I would like to get it airworthy and do a few test flights before I start detailing it with airbrushing/weathering, canopy and scale cockpit.
I am on the fence with the G90 - I rebuilt it and its ready for test run. I still would like a saito or something that didn't sound like a weed-eater..!

Thanks for the feedback on the SA100. Hmmmm.... Oh.. I was studying the paperwork on the plane and I didn't know that ROYAL was based in Denver! How bout that!?!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
tdbeltz

I can't figure out how to get a picture on this forum.  I tried to insert an image, but it asks for a url script or somthing.

You should be in good shape with your plane almost completed and having the plans and template.  You just have to kind of rigg stuff as you come across it as the instructions are not good.  I didn't have the internet or anyone around that could help me, so it took a long time for me to determine how I should do some things.  I also used my imagination on making up bomb drops from the wings and funtional landing lights and navigation lights.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 AM
RC-CAKES

Thanks for the reply. I agree the instructions are poor. To attach pics.. use REPLY and then at the bottom of the screen there is CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD IMAGES AND FILES button.

Did you use standard size servos? Mine uses the bellcranks and rod as well. Are you using MG or high torque? Where did you mount? Can you send pics of the fuse hardware?
My cowl bottom is poor so I will need to reproduce another. Did you split your canopy and paint the 'frame' ? or use an actual frame? Where did you mount the batt and rx?

I really appreciate you helping me with these crazy questions. I hope to have it flying this season.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
tdbeltz

I put by rx battery in the front, above the fuel tank.

The Cowl I hand made from balsa blocks and had to shap it as called out on the plans. Took awhile to shape and sand smooth.

I used old Futaba standard 334 or 434 something like that from the early 90's when I bought the plane (Nothing special). You could use high torque if you want. I probably would replace the ones I have with that.

The Canopy I cut so that I can put them in the open position if I want and painted the framing on it.

Name:	Wu61756.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1387488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64376.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1387489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73801.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1387490  
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 AM
tdbeltz

Here is some more pictures of the cowl and plane

Name:	Db83909.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1387492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68593.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1387493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75139.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1387494  
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
RC-CAKES

That's great! Nice pics. How does it fly? Any bad habits to be aware of (tips stalls, flaps down handling, landing tech.) ? Where did you balance the CG at? Any issues with the flap movement?

I ran the engine yesterday on the test stand. Fired right up. I now need a inverted pitts style for the G90 to complete it. I have the plane on the table and I am going thru the fuselage to fix some loose areas that need attention. A few cracks that need to be filled and sanded.
I will repaint it when it is all done and get actual decals (not hand painted) to add to the scale look.

Post as many pics - especially of the wing root with the servos. The original builder used mini robart hinges for the control surfaces. A few are damaged (probably hangar rash) and I will repair/replace them.

Looking forward to your experience.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
tdbeltz

I balanced the plane according to theCG on the plans. I had to put in about 1 pound 2ounces in the nose around the bottom open area. I just glued in lead pieces.

I don't have anymore pictures that show the servo locations. I had to look at where the control rods came out for each of the controls and then configure my servos to work in the spaces. Mine are kind of wedged in with ply strips glued in place to hold the servos from moving (kind of permanent). Once you have determined the servo location, you don't need to move it around anyway. Thats just how I did it for this model. If I need to remove or replace, I would just break away the ply pieces I glued in to hold the servos.

I have about 5 flights on the plane so far (flown by an expert pilot, not me). She flys pretty good. We did some rolls, loops, and dropped some bombs, When coming in to land, we needed to keep the speed up until wewere close to the ground andthen let off so asto prevent stalling. Welanded with and without flaps down. Both ways seemed to work well.

Is your motor a2stroke or4 stroke?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM
RC-CAKES

It had a Super Tigre G90 two stroke mounted. It has good power, should be enough at least for a few test flights. I would like to rig a center bomb release. That would be cool.

Thanks for the input. I will post more as I make progress. The flight tips are consistant to others flying stukas.. dont get slow! Wow! A pound plus! I may just have to swap my Saito 125 in there to balance!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
RC-CAKES

Hello all. Just a little update on the Stuka status. It has been a little while. I have been busy with work and getting the rest of the fleet ready for the season. I have recently repaired and replaced the hinges on the inner flaps on both sides. They were broken either at the hinge or the flap itself. The lower sheeting was buckled slightly and became detached from the ribs. I used heavy weights to flatten out the balsa skin and later re-epoxied them flush. A little filler and sanding.. good to go! Same with a cracked skin on the top right wing. It will all be sanded and painted later after test flights.

Now to fitting servos in the wing Not much room for standard size servos. Especially for the flaps where it has to be between the pushrods. I am considering a hi-torque micro that will fit better in that space. Perhaps a pair of hitec HS-65MG. I have two 645MGs for the elev and rudder that looks like only a tray needs to be fabricated. The G90 engine was rebuilt and test ran... its ready. Swapped out wheel collars for one gear - too big and it is ready.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
RC-CAKES

An update:

Here are some pics of the servo install and new engine. It has been a slow project but I am busy with other matters. I found a great deal on a Saito 100 and it looks great on the nose of the plane. I was testing the CG balance and since the fuselage is so long and the nose/gear is short - it is rather tail heavy as well. Even with the big saito, prop, cowling and rx it is still tail heavy. I haven't factored in the battery yet which will go on top of the tank.

Knowing this- I tried to mount all of the servos as forward as possible. The hitec MGs run the rudder and elevator and I plan to add 225MGs to the wing. Smaller size with lots of torque. The engine is temp mounted for measuring and just a little mod for the rails. I will add a rail crossmember to stiffen the railing even more. I am sure I will have to add additional weight to balance which leads me to considering dual batteries or an onboard glow system. No sense wasting with dead lead weight .

I am on the fence on using the plans to make a new cowling ( since the original is split in two pieces and a section is missing) or ordering the fiberglass one from fiberglass specialities ($40!). Either way it needs to be prepped and painted.
The rx is an AR7000 and it will have a remote glow or onboard... along with a charge/pwr switch w meter. I am hoping to have it ready for a few test flights soon then start sanding down and detailing again.
Any suggestions for a decal vendor?

Name:	Nl29752.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1435198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89777.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1435199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62386.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1435200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83576.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1435201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78415.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1435202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78819.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1435203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83636.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1435204  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

Heck of a good job with your rebuild! Wish I could find one of these old planes.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: RotorWing Nut

An update:

Here are some pics of the servo install ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Knowing this- I tried to mount all of the servos as forward as possible. The hitec MGs run the rudder and elevator and I plan to add 225MGs to the wing. Smaller size with lots of torque.

Any suggestions for a decal vendor?

RWN,
Those servos are screwed into more than just that Balsa Right? you have some hardwood or ply under the balsa right?
You are going to get the proper grommets and sleeves for those servos,,, right?

pricey but nice
http://www.aeroloft.com/index.html

good luck
Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 AM
RC-CAKES

Thanks for the reply - The servo trays are plywood that are screwed and glued in. I have ordered the grommets/sleeves since I picked the servos up used. I usually install better servos than needed so I never have an issue. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Cool,
I was not sure, with a Username like yours, how much fixed wing building experiance you have..

Great subject,, I've always wanted to build one,, Good luck
Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

she's a beauty, appears to be covered with silk and painted with dope.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a corsair I picked up pre built, and just like your Stuka never had servo's mounted or even an engine. I'm not sure what the nose weight totalled up to be but I know mines over a pound, but is due to me using 7 oz automotive cloth to glass it.
I ran out of lead at the time and used those 1" diameter 3" long steel bolts.
I'm dying to fly it, but am waiting till say July this summer as I sold the engine in it, and will be using a gas engine.
Before I forget, I had to replace the hard wood maple mounting rails as there were soft with age.

Name:	Ec87217.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1435466  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.