Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Gibbs Ziroli 94" P-40D Warhawk Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gibbs Ziroli 94" P-40D Warhawk Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gibbs Ziroli 94

While I'm waiting on my short kit and plans to come I am working on the engine. The build will start as soon as I get the things I need to start. I hope by the end of the week.

Jeff Naul,

The name of the hone is Caralibium. It is a special hone for Nikasil plated cylinders. If you want it honed he will do it for $7.00 plus return shipping. Below is his name, number, and address.

Pakes' Engine & Machine Inc.
Attn: Bob (Owner) 608-758-9003
3118 E. McCormick Drive
Janesville, WI 53546
Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
NCIS

I recieved an email from Jesse at Laser Lizard today saying the short kit would ship today or tomorrow. I hope to have it this week. I need to call Mike at Ziroli to find out about my plans and accessories tomorrow also. I want to get the plans so I can make a wood order from BUSA.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
NCIS

I ordered a set of mains and TW retract from Darrell at Seirra today. I just can't bring myself to build a nice Warbird and put Robart's in it. Way off scale and I haven't ever used them because they are not just for the specific plane your building. They sell them for numberous different planes even though they only work but don't look right. In my mind Darrell is the man. I hope to see them in a couple weeks. I called Mike at Ziroli and my things were shipped Monday or Tuesday. I should be in business soon. I am still deciding on the correct prop to use for break in and flying. I just want a 2 blade wood prop. I don't want one where the tips flex to much.

Barry
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you know about Gene Barton's retracts?
I am considering building another Ziroli P-40, but only have experience with the Robarts.

Did you consider the fiberglass fuselage?

btw: My first was powered with a Kawasaki 51cc. VERY heavy motor with lots of torque. Performance was adequate. My next will be sporting at least 62cc, but more likely 85cc. Gotta spin a 3 blade prop!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
NCIS

I considered the fiberglass fuse but opted to build one instead. I think building the fuse is my favorite part of any project. I don't know anything about his retracts. I have just stuck with Seirra because of the scale appearence and strength.

I recieved some parts I ordered for my G-62 and have thought of selling it after I'm done and buying a GT-80 for mine.

Barry
Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

GT-80???

Won't that stick out of the cowl on either side?

I have seen a Ziroli P-40 flown with a 3W80 inline twin. What a sound!! And power to spare!!

I was thinking a DA85 would provide great power and not lots of weight.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
NCIS

I was kidding Richard. I'm going to see how well the G-62 does on the test stand after it is finished which should be in the next couple days. If it runs great then I'll either use it or a DA-85. I got my plans and accessories today and tomorrow I'll order the wood for the build. I should have the short kit by Saturday since it is being shipped FedX. All I need now are the retracts, wheels, and servos.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57356.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1336640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51923.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1336641  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank's barry. I made some calls and one of my tool suppliers carried it and I have one on the way. Jeff
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 PM
TakingFlight96

Sweet ! Im very excited for this build to get started ! I have a special tie to this airplane as you know and i think its so cool. Ill be for sure watching this build. Are u sure bout that pink one Gibbs ? Ill throw my 2 cents in on the paint scheme when i have more time. Good luck !

- TF96 (Ally)
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 AM
at-6 texan

Hi NCIS. !.. i see the yours new building project.my best compliment! that is very Dude !.......

Name:	Kh17784.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1336891  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM
NCIS

Your welcome Jeff,

Good luck with the engine.

Barry
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
NCIS

I am done with the engine rebuild. Now all I'm waiting for is the new carburator and it will be ready to be broke in. With the new rings and honed cylinder it has a ton of compression. I'm sure it will be a great engine now. So far everything included I only have $150.00 invested in the engine. Thats not bad for a new G-62! Oh yeah Dom Racing did the honing and a few other tricks to make it a little hotter than a standard G-62. They don't know how much but figured about 10cc's.

Barry

Name:	Gd93715.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1337090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67129.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1337091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91360.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1337092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98622.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1337093  
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Putz Brother

ORIGINAL: NCIS

I am done with the engine rebuild. Now all I'm waiting for is the new carburator and it will be ready to be broke in. With the new rings and honed cylinder it has a ton of compression. I'm sure it will be a great engine now. So far everything included I only have $150.00 invested in the engine. Thats not bad for a new G-62! Oh yeah Dom Racing did the honing and a few other tricks to make it a little hotter than a standard G-62. They don't know how much but figured about 10cc's.

Barry
Barry, When you say they gained about 10cc. Do you mean they gained the amount of HP that would be the equivilant of an additional 10cc's in size? Or they actual honed it out 10cc's larger? Just curious.
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
NCIS

They machined it out and put in a different piston and rings. I only rebuild them but they are the experts so I just told them what I wanted and they did it. They used a new piston from a larger engine and just machined it to work. It is probably 75cc now. The walls were thick enough in the cylinder to allow them to do it. I am only going by what they told me. I did see the larger piston and machined out cylinder before they put it back together. I will tell you this it has much more compression than it did before.

Barry
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Putz Brother

They machined it out and put in a different piston and rings. I only rebuild them but they are the experts so I just told them what I wanted and they did it. They used a new piston from a larger engine and just machined it to work. It is probably 75cc now. The walls were thick enough in the cylinder to allow them to do it. I am only going by what they told me. I did see the larger piston and machined out cylinder before they put it back together. I will tell you this it has much more compression than it did before.

Barry
OK, So they bored it out. Honeing just implies they removed the scratches and such for the cylinder side walls.
Do they have a web site?
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 PM
G-Pete

Oh yeah Dom Racing did the honing and a few other tricks to make it a little hotter than a standard G-62. They don't know how much but figured about 10cc's.
Barry

Sure Barry

In that little time they developed a new piston and rebalanced the crank counter weight, run and tested the engine - so YOU can say it has more compression. Oh yeah, they re coated the cylinder walls or they just honed again after boring[&:]. They bored from 47.5mm to 52mm= 4.5mm or 0.177 inch somewhere in the neighborhood of 11/64th (As an metal processing engineer - European grad, I avoid fractions), to gain 10 cubic centimeters. Rebalanced the piston to the crank shaft - or the crank shaft to the piston.
They forged and/or machined the piston...

They are not able to put a little 5th grade math on the whole process to figure out how much displacement they gained?
How they calculate piston tolerances? Counter weights? Forces on bearings? Piston speeds? Thermal expansions? Fluid and gas dynamics?

Sure...

BTW: Your top Dom Racing guys forgot the porting - the FIRST task to improve performance. hahahaha

Barry - come on........................
Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

+1 Pete

or rather +10
Old 12-19-2009, 04:57 PM
NCIS

CAUGHT!!!

I meant to just wake some of you up and see what you had to say. I did as I originally said and just rebuilt it. I guess I got carried away with myself and played a little game after I mentioned it had 10 more cc's after the honing and new rings. It probably does have 10 more cc's compared to the worn out rings I started with. Then Putz Brother asked a question about it. I had no idea what he was talking about so I just went along until Pete the Engineer caught me in my little white lie.[sm=drowning.gif] OK I'm caught but I am happy to say that the engine saga is over now and I just installed the new carb. I am going to test run it as soon as we have a warm enough day to open the garage door for awhile. First I have to get the prop Pete suggested for break in. Now I just need to buy radio gear and wait for the short kit and Seirra retracts to get her. Then I can start the build. I have been busy working on my cowl plug for my Corsair anyway.

I second Todd's remark Pete +10 for being awake in class,[sm=thumbup.gif]

Barry

PS: Sorry Putz Brother but there isn't a website!

Name:	Om33411.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1337820  
Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Putz Brother

CAUGHT!!!

Pete the Engineer caught me in my little white lie.[sm=drowning.gif] OK I'm caught but I am happy to say that the engine saga is over now and I just installed the new carb. I am going to test run it as soon as we have a warm enough day to open the garage door for awhile. First I have to get the prop Pete suggested for break in. Now I just need to buy radio gear and wait for the short kit and Seirra retracts to get her. Then I can start the build. I have been busy working on my cowl plug for my Corsair anyway.

I second Todd's remark Pete +10 for being awake in class,[sm=thumbup.gif]

Barry

PS: Sorry Putz Brother but there isn't a website!
Have you ever considered a job in politics??? Or in professional sports??? Better luck with the next one. LOL Remember. The truth shall set you free. Signed, Reverend Putz.[8D]
Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
NCIS

Reverend Putz,

Please forgive me for my sins! I shalt not lie again.

Barry[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 12-20-2009, 05:07 PM
NCIS

Since I'm starting another build and the first thing built will be the wing I sanded all the high spots left from the screws that were installed to hold the uprights to build the Corsair's fuselage. Then I applied another coat of sealer on the table/door to prevent any moisture from getting into the holes left behind. I will probably build this P-40 wing and then the Corsair wing before building the fuse for the P-40. I also ordered a 22x10 Zinger wood prop today so I can test run the engine.

Barry

Name:	Vs55910.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1338403  
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Putz Brother

Since I'm starting another build and the first thing built will be the wing I sanded all the high spots left from the screws that were installed to hold the uprights to build the Corsair's fuselage. Then I applied another coat of sealer on the table/door to prevent any moisture from getting into the holes left behind. I will probably build this P-40 wing and then the Corsair wing before building the fuse for the P-40. I also ordered a 22x10 Zinger wood prop today so I can test run the engine.

Barry
Hmmmmmmmmm, I thought you replaced the hollow core door???? You know the one that combined with the humidity. Caused the first fiasco. AKA Don Smith corsair.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

This thread should be called pre-P-40 build, or maybe waiting to build a P-40. Hey Barry maybe the guys at Dom Racing need to re-bore you out so you gain 10cc more building and posting speed. Just giving you hard time Barry. I know your waiting for more stuff! My ziroli is moving along by the way. I wanted to wish you the all the best for the holidays.
Peter
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
G-Pete

...probably we should address him from now on as

10cc-Barry

Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
at-6 texan

Kanske borde vi kalla det gamla! NCIS i joke!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.