Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T-28 Dave Platt

Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay guys,
Here's the repaired trailing edge, thanks Boyd for seconding my thought about balsa. I actually cut a strip of 1/16" balsa and glued it under the trailing edge. When I was happy with the fit I mixed some micro balloons and filled the step between the 2 height differences in the balsa. I have a bit of sanding to do but the gap is now 99% - 100% perfect. Will work it a bit more when I glass the wing but for now I think it looks too good to be true.
Chad, I thought about using G10 but the balsa was a better choice for sanding purposes if needed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03362.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1985334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03363.JPG
Views:	680
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	1985335  
Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 AM
maser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry,

Nicely done.

Boyd.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:31 AM
lkahn4

Hey gang,
Finally got some time to get the panel lines drawn in, next step is to laydown the 1/32" chart pak tape to create the panel lines. I have been practicing with the curved syringe but I can't get the rivets to be close to the same size.
Any ideas like glue type etc.

Thanks
Larry

Name:	DSC03364.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2007558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03365.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2007559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03366.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2007560  
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lkahn4
I have been practicing with the curved syringe but I can't get the rivets to be close to the same size.
Any ideas like glue type etc.
Hi Larry,

I too have had issues with keeping glue drops rivets all a consistent size. My solution, which I used on a Midwest T-6, was to lay down laser cut vinyl rivets first and then put the glue drops on top of the vinyl. Capillary action will allow the glue to spread out to the edge of the vinyl and no further which makes for rivets of identical diamter. It's extra work for sure but I have found no better method for simulating button head type rivets. The vinyl rivets are transferred from the carrier sheet to the model using clear Scotch type tape and with some practice you can easily transfer 12 or 15 inches worth of rivets at a time. For glue I use RC56/Formula 56 canopy glue which does not shrink up as much as other white glues.

I can provide the laser cut vinyl if you're interested and I can make the rivets any diameter and with any spacing that you require.

[email protected]

Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 PM
lkahn4

Chad,
Thanks for the info, your rivets look amazing. I will let you know about your offer

Thanks again
Larry
Old 07-07-2014, 05:39 AM
lkahn4

Chad,
Can you let me know how much you want for the vinyl rivets and how many to a sheet. The Trojan is 1/5 scale, I'm not sure how big they would need to be

Thanks
Larry
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Chad Veich

Chad,
Can you let me know how much you want for the vinyl rivets and how many to a sheet. The Trojan is 1/5 scale, I'm not sure how big they would need to be

Thanks
Larry
Hi Larry,

The cost of the rivets is primarily calculated on laser cutting time so it depends somewhat upon the diameter and spacing that you choose. However, the numbers below will get you very close if not right on the money.

$5.00 per 1000 rivets on orders of 15,000 or less
$4.50 per 1000 rivets on orders of 15-50,000
$4.00 per 1000 rivets on orders of more than 50,000

Regarding size and spacing I can make them to your exact specifications. I'm sure the Trojan uses multiple rivet sizes but I imagine the majority are probably around 1/4" which works out to .05" at 1/5 scale. Some research would be in order to figure out what the spacing is on the full size but, again, I'm sure it varies somewhat. Most of my customers are ordering rivets which are a tad larger than scale as well as spaced further apart to reduce the total number required. Many are also only riveting along the panel lines and not doing the intermediate rows of rivets. As you can see much depends upon just how scale you intend to get with the model and how much research you are willing to do to get there! I can tell you that the average rivet order for the single engine types is 15,000 rivets which is no where near the scale amount but is enough to flush out the model to a believable level. Hope that helps and if you want to discuss the details further you can contact me directly at [email protected].
Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 AM
lkahn4

Hey Chad,
Thanks for the info, going back through the thread it turns out Dean made his rivets 5/64" with 1/4" spacing. Can you let me know if that's a problem for cutting the vinyl.
BTW, I have a house in Gilbert, would love to meet you when I get out there next time.

Thanks
Larry
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Chad Veich

Hey Chad,
Thanks for the info, going back through the thread it turns out Dean made his rivets 5/64" with 1/4" spacing. Can you let me know if that's a problem for cutting the vinyl.
BTW, I have a house in Gilbert, would love to meet you when I get out there next time.

Thanks
Larry
No problem Larry, any diameter and spacing you require. And please do drop me a note next time you come to town. I always enjoy putting faces to names and talking airplanes!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:01 AM
lkahn4

Chad,
Can you let me know where to send the $$ when I decide how many I need. Hope you made out okay in the monsoon

Larry
Old 09-14-2014, 03:14 AM
lkahn4

Guys,
Here are a couple of pix of my flaps using Chads rivet system.
Have to say it was easier than I thought it would be, not to mention I didn't have to do any math to figure out the spacing between lines....
I was hesitant about the canopy glue going all over the place but as Chad pointed out the circumference stops the glue from doing that.
I was shocked when I counted the number on the 1st flap. 1,084 rivets.

Larry

Name:	Chad rivets with glue heads.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2031796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flap with and without glue drops.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2031797  
Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 AM
maser

Larry,

They look good. Do you prefer the glue with them or without.

Chad,

I have used them and are very quick putting them on. I like the system. Howt does the priming and painting effect the rivets? Should I use the ones that you put the glue in?

Boyd
Old 09-15-2014, 02:24 PM
lkahn4

Guys,
I thought I added the pix of the primed flap, but alas old age is setting in quicker than my retirement date.
Here is the pix, Chad great product, I prefer with the drop of glue since I'm afraid that by the time you prime and final coat they will barely be visible.
I think the rivets look awesome with the glue and I think their shape will hold up after the final coat of paint

Larry

Name:	Primed flap with rivets.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2032194  
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Chad Veich

Thank you very much Larry for the kind words. Nothing makes me happier than when a customer is satisfied with the product. I will certainly be looking forward to seeing the finished Trojan as it is one of my favorite types.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by maser
Chad,

I have used them and are very quick putting them on. I like the system. Howt does the priming and painting effect the rivets? Should I use the ones that you put the glue in?
Hi Boyd,

I have always put my rivets on over the primer and under the paint. That is simply because I use high-build filler type primers which would easily cover up the rivets. As long as the vinyl is scuffed up prior to painting I have not found the need to put any primer on them. Having said that, I don't think there would be any issue with putting primer over the rivets if it is not a filler-primer. There are places on my Hellcat where I have five coats of paint over the rivets (no glue, just vinyl) and they still show up fine. I do always recommend testing your finishing process with the rivets before applying it to the model though. I am happy to provide sample rivets for a few bucks to cover the shipping costs for anyone who would like to expiriment with them before placing an order.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
lkahn4

Hey Guys,
So between work & the wife (is that also considered work?) I finally finished applying over 4,000 rivets to the flaps and ailerons... who knew

So now my question is, how do you guys sand the leading edge of the wing. I usually do a shoe shine motion with a large sheet of sandpaper but I was hoping you guys have an easier way.

Flying season almost over here, winds have been 20 + for the last few weekends, though we get a couple of nice dys during the week when I'm slaving over a hot desk

Hope you guys are good

Thanks as always

Larry
Old 11-22-2014, 03:30 AM
maser

Larry,

Which size rivets did you use from Chad?

I start by drawing a line down the center of the leading edge. Use that as a guide. I have a couple of rounded sanding blocks, you can get them from the hobby shop or (hardware store-maybe). I start with a flat block and start the curve towards the center line shaping it in a rounded motion. Then use the curved blocks to get the final touch.

Boyd.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Dean rcu
My Feedback: (5)

Here's the bondo'd form, I've cut off the over run on the sides already.

I put the block on the wing that needs the LE and mark the location of the front of the wing on each end of the block.

I sanded the outside of the sanding block smooth(er) so that I could make a straight line from one end to the other.

Now cut the block close to the lines I've made and then sand down to the lines making sure I keep the edges flat. This is so that when I just have to sand until the block starts riding on the work table.

I take a piece of emery cloth that I've fitted to the inside of the block and spray the back with Elmers

Press the emery cloth into the block, making sure it's even on both sides and fully seated.

Now the fun begins, I ripped a piece of balsa the width of the sanding block and slightly taller than the blocks inside height.

Test fitting the finished edge. Looks good to me, but I'm a rank amateur.

1st step was to use the wing templates and cut a new short version of only the front portion of the wing. Just enough to form the shape I need for the sanding block.

the 2nd step is cover the leading edge with stretch wrap and fasten it on with tape.

then I mixed up about 3-4 golf ball blobs of bondo with the appropriate amount of hardener.

Once this was mixed I applied the gooey mess over the top of the wing that I wanted to copy making sure it was nice and thick trying to get an even amount all around the leading edge.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM
maser

Dean,

Neat idea. You are far from being an amateur. You produce some of the finest models.

Boyd
Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 AM
lkahn4

Guys,
Thanks for the info, Dean, I knew that you would have a unique way to do this and lo and behold you do. As for being an amateur you're along way off from that.
I'm hoping when I get to AZ next year we can meet up and you can tutor me on the finer points of scale modeling as I can use all the help I can get.
Boyd, I went through the thread and found that Dean had made 5/64" rivets spaced 1/4" apart so that's what I ordered from Chad. So I have used almost all of the 5,000 rivets I got from Chad and am very happy with the results so far, the only problem I encountered was that I am off a bit on the vertical rivet lines.
And putting the drop of glue on each rivet was kind of therapeutic after a 10-1/2 hour day at work.
My friend John and I are finishing a kit and then we are fixing a Hanger 9 B25 that a friend of ours crashed, then we are hopefully starting the Grumman E2C before I leave for Arizona.
Take care and hope all is good with you guys.

Larry
Old 02-02-2015, 04:29 AM
maser

Larry,

Any progress?

Boyd.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
lkahn4

Hey guys,
So here's the update...there is none. I finished sanding the leading edges and wing tips and as I now know that I will be moving by summers end I can't go any further without hearing my wife and I quote "Another huge box to ship" so the wing has been packed up and I am slowly starting to pack everything I don't or won't need til after the move.
Here is a pix of the wing box, I hot glued the sides of the outer box to the inner box...hope it survives the move.

Name:	IMG_20150104_132245172.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2070162  
Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 AM
lkahn4

Hey guys,
So even though there has been no progress on the Trojan, I did manage to pick up a landing light and nav lights at the WRAM show.
Starting to pack up my shop except for essentials to finish the flying season here.
Here are some pix of the light, measures 1-1/8" across the light housing, it's LED and should last forever

Hope you're surviving the weather as I have about 36" of snow on my deck, many storms and not above freezing for weeks, just started to get into the 30's and 40's

Larry

Name:	DSC03376.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2079756   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03377.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2079757  
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry, after the Avenger comes Johnny O's 1/5 scale T-28. I have no idea where I will get a set of landing gear. He passed and most connections to the L/G are lost. It's melting here. Chic
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 AM
maser

Larry,

If you have a chance to stop in OKC on your way to AZ give Steve and myself a call.

Boyd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.