Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Sandy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - how much flap are you using? The flaps seem to measure a bit larger than scale, plus the designer himself says to not use full flap....I think you're right about the flaps smothering the elevators....

Sandy
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM
dubs1946

Hi Sandy i will be putting it together for testing later today and will measure them. They are big.
I was given the fuselage and have made a new wing and rebuilt it.
Stan the original builder was having the same nose over trouble as me, has added 1 inch both sides of the stab and an inch on the fin.
The weather looks good to-morrow so i may do further test flights.
This is the most challenging aircraft i have ever landed it takes no prisoners you must get a 9 or 10.on the approach or it will snack on worms.
Dave.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 PM
dubs1946

[QUOTE=dubs1946;12021899]Hi Sandy i will be putting it together for testing later today and will measure them. They are big.

Hi Sandy, the inner flap on FULL i have at 97mm open from flat in the wing or about 40 degrees its difficult to measure the degrees.
The outer on FULL i have at 87mm from flat in the wing.
The inner on half flap 75mm from flat in the wing. The outer 70 mm from flat in the wing.

The elevator i have on full for landing is 40 mm deflection
The elevator for flight and for taking off is 35mm deflection.

I am about to fiddle with the flaps now for to-morrows test flight, i think i will be reducing it.
The elevator stays where it is for now.
Dave.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Sandy69

http://vaillyaviation.com/images/Hur...0technique.pdf

This reference is to Vallencourt's article on landing his Hurricane. Somewhere he used to specify the flap he used for landing and I think you're right on with 40deg...I think somewhere else i read guys using 25deg,,just to have a little more lift without the drag..
Old 06-27-2015, 05:48 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

Well,,, I maidened mine today... It flew great I have a DA85 on it but it was a very hot day so the power was a little lacking. But it flew great and I loved every second till the landing, I flew off a fry lake bed for the first flight just to have plenty of room and be on the safe side. But after a picture perfect touch down and roll out it hit an unexpected soft spot and flipped over on its back destroying the rudder and unbelievably the elevator and canopy. At the moment I am just sick. Does anybody offer pre cut kits for the wood? Or am I stuck with cutting my own out?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chris,
I am sorry for the damage but thankful she flew well and landed. You might try contacting Jesse and Lazer Lizard ( I think it's www.lazerlizard.com) or Precision cut kits. Do you know what your all up weight turned out to be?
Sam
Old 06-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Sandy69

Aw man Chris, that sucks.....I know Laser Design services has kits for the plane, prices seem pretty good too.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 AM
ChrisPetersen

I don't have an exact weight but I am pretty sure I caused a jump in the lead stock market when I purchased enough to get it to cg. I wish I could have had more stick time to really judge its flying. I did have an issue with one leg sticking half way when I put the gear down but it eventually locked down. It did look great in the air!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2106137  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Sandy69

Chris, did you build the tail stock size, or go oversized a bit?? And when you landed, did the plane flare OK? just putting together questions from a bunch of other guys' expeeriences
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
ChrisPetersen

It's the scale size. Landing was a non event except for the soft spot it would have been great lol

Views:	520
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2106174   Click image for larger version

Views:	535
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2106177  
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
DaddySam

Chris
those pics are awesome. I'm glad to hear that the landing was a "non-event". I was wishing for an endless lake bed to do my maiden but now I'm wondering........ Anyway, if you don't have any luck with a kit cutter I'm sure I could cut you some elevator and rudder/fin parts. I don't have a laser but when I was experimenting with different tail types I cut ribs and other pieces from the plans.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Sandy69

Chris, that looks like a perfect landing, couldn't be any better!! Beautiful.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM
DaddySam

I took the Hurricane out to the flying field yesterday, having run out of excuses not to fly it. I've been flying more this year than any other, lots of planes needing rudder, and about the same size as the Hurricane, although none near it's weight. I had my son bring his video camera in the hopes of getting some good video, but his battery was not fully charged. So the video is a combination of my "Hat Cam" Mobius camera and my son's Iphone video. The plane needed more trim that I am used to dialling in, almost 1/8" right aileron, so I'll be looking into why. A friend suggested I balance the wing laterally (I've done it before but did not think to do it with the Hurricane). Even though I checked the gear before I took it to the field, somehow the left tire started rubbing on the strut, causing a veer to the left (more than just engine torque). But the good news is that it flew, and flew well. Other than my jittery nerves, none of my fears materialized. The cooling for the motor worked, the canopy did not come off, and I got it down in one piece. I have been dreading the landing like only you Hurricane flyers can believe. But I think the combination of the smaller scale size flaps and the generous elevator throw solved the issue. I am going to address the rubbing tire, look into the aileron trim, and get it out again sometime before the snow comes.
Below is a picture post-maiden. The exhaust stains are much darker than scale because the motor was spitting out quite a bit of its own, adding to the ones airbrushed on.

The link to the video is here: https://youtu.be/RGaU2mCW4Yg

Name:	Hurricane Maiden resize 2.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	2184273  

Last edited by DaddySam; 10-03-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Sandy69

Way to go Sam!!!!! More on your other site......
Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM
dubs1946

Well done mate, much better then my first efforts.
Our field has been to wet and soft for heavy aircraft over the last few months.
The landing approach to our club field is difficult and i have been practicing my approaches with smaller aircraft

As for turning it over on landing i have done that a few times broken the fin a few times and a nice sliding cockpit twice so the third cockpit will be put on when my landings have improved..
27 flights 5 good landings. The aircraft is a dream to fly, on take off it needs heaps of right rudder and holding the rudder until its up to speed so it tends to side slip on take off. looks good.
Mind you the 3W85 power has a lot to do with that.
I will try landing with half flaps and side slipping to slow it down. that should be interesting.
Dave.

Last edited by dubs1946; 10-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:35 PM
P40N

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done Sam, congratulations on a beautiful model and well flown.
The bigger the risk the more the satisfaction when it all works for you.
Cheers
Stan
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on the 10 yr in the making 1st flight. For a second I thought maybe it was an old school control line model the way you were flying around yourself......lol good job
Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 PM
DaddySam

Thanks Dave, Sandy, Stan, and Ram-bro! Yes, strange how when I'm stressed I tend to revert back to old habits (like flying around myself - -I'm lucky I did not go back to thumbs). Trouble with this time of year is that anytime after about noon I am flying with the sun in my eyes - I may experiment with flying from the other side of the field. I let the plane get so high at one point that I almost lost orientation- and I've spent the summer flying lower and lower with my other planes! I'm hoping that now that I have the maiden out of the way I can calm my nerves, trim it out, dial in some mixes, and fly it like it should be flown. Now that Fall is here we're dealing with rain and wind, and the good weather not happening at the time I am not working.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:44 PM
MattHorton

Hey All, My Dad and I are Building this Hurricane and we are in need of the exhaust for it. I know Keleo doesn't make it anymore so i need to find one elsewhere. Any help is appreciated
Matt
Old 11-28-2020, 03:54 AM
Sandy69

Originally Posted by DaddySam
Thanks Dave, Sandy, Stan, and Ram-bro! Yes, strange how when I'm stressed I tend to revert back to old habits (like flying around myself - -I'm lucky I did not go back to thumbs). Trouble with this time of year is that anytime after about noon I am flying with the sun in my eyes - I may experiment with flying from the other side of the field. I let the plane get so high at one point that I almost lost orientation- and I've spent the summer flying lower and lower with my other planes! I'm hoping that now that I have the maiden out of the way I can calm my nerves, trim it out, dial in some mixes, and fly it like it should be flown. Now that Fall is here we're dealing with rain and wind, and the good weather not happening at the time I am not working.
Well Sam, You KNOW the tough part is a piece of cake. That plane landed super in your video, not at all rough like other commentators have lead us to believe....So get it down and fly it!!!