Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Corsair build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dynaflite Corsair build

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
jt182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Corsair build

Alan are you doing the pull pull for the rudder, or the just the golden rods. One thing I don't like about this build is the plans are lacking in some detail area's. One you found all ready is the wing should have more veiws for the wing and fuselage. The wing is next step for me. I need to get a bigger bench to build on it is only 48" L and the wing is 54" L just not going to work.

Also with the wings I was thinking of seperate servos for the ailerons plans show one servo.
JOhn
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

John,
You have the same idea as me. I cut out some light ply and reinforced between ribs 7 and 8 for servos. Use caution on the wings or you'll be doing them over at the joint. I got all that worked out finally. Now I have to sheet the bottom of the wing except for the center section. I have not been to motivated to work on it lately. In the midst of build a new front deck. Has to be done by Friday. Mothe in law on the way. I will probably get started back next week. I am thinking of using sig koverall for the finish. I have some on hand.
Feel free to post some pictures. I'll try later.
Alan
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
jt182

Will post up some pic's as I get more done. I have servos on order and a cowl coming also. I have more work to do as I am converting this to a electric power bird. I have a 500 watt motor on the way, so I need to do some mod's to the front for a battery compartment. I can't find to many areas to lighten up this build as it is simple in design. I need to figure out a way to dump some wgt. in the back as most converted gas planes turn out tail heavy. Yes I think the 2 servo's in the wing will be better might try and set them up to work as flaps. This is getting ahead of myself on that thought though. Glad you are a head of me on this I can learn from you.
John
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
bgfireman

Yea, that last statement might get you in trouble. Ever seen one of those tee shirts that said "I'm their leader which way did they go?" That is me! Any way i did get the trailing edges glued in place and the ailerons cut to length and hinged, but not beveled.

The only way to make it lighter I think is to put some lightening holes in the wing ribs. I had thought about that, but decided with the TT 46 and a macs tuned pipe it would not make any difference.
Happy building!
Alan
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These Corsairs are pretty light already: mine weighed 5 1/2 lbs, with the mech. rotating retracts and a Saito .50.
I like building light, but sometimes trying to lighten it up just isn't worth the effort. Case in point: lightening hole in the wing ribs would subtract but a few grams. I prefer using other menas to keep it light, such as servo selection. Back then, I used Hitec 225s, which weigh about 1 oz each, yet have same torque as standard servos. Using 4 of them reduces weight by 2 oz (assuming standard servos weigh 1 1/2 oz each).
Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
albo752004

Hi

I just started one of these and have only built one other kit plane about 15 years ago, a little confused about about vert stab
and which pieces are supposed extend into the fuselage. would it be possible to see a picture of yours. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Allen
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
jt182

If I can figure out how to upload a pic I would. Welcome aboard If you haven't figured it out the plans are not the best. I just got the servos in so I can fit them for the rudder and stab. I decided to get the cowl that was suggested by Corsair Jock it does add some scale to It. As soon as I can figure out how to load some pic's or someone tells me how to load pic's I will.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
bgfireman

Allen,
The trailing stab on the horizontal stab is supposed to fit down in the fuse and locks in place on the F9 bulkhead. Here are a few pictures. The smaller half on the top is the horz. stab. the bigger half on the bottom is the rudder.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60326.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1376710   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg17202.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	800.2 KB
ID:	1376711   Click image for larger version

Name:	kq35998.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	786.3 KB
ID:	1376712   Click image for larger version

Name:	at55306.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	764.3 KB
ID:	1376713   Click image for larger version

Name:	vg54136.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	811.7 KB
ID:	1376714  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
albo752004

Hi Alan

Thank you very much the first photo told me exactly what I need to know. at first I thought they only intended for the angled piece
to extend into the fuse. But the more I thought about it I figured it had to be both. Thanks again for the quick reply. I'm just getting
started on this project, I'm sure there are going to be alot questions as I go along. Your help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Allen
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
nekked_man_2000

my dad just built 2 of these. I bought the kit a couple of years ago, we both had the dynaflite p51 (.40) and liked those so I figured "why not" anyway, I had the plans copied at Kinko's, ordered lots of balsa, and he built one from the kit and one from scratch. They are at his house right now, but I need to take some pictures. Mine is framed up, his is covered waiting for me to cover, after I finish with my 4*.

I recently moved and where I live now there is a small flying field (did I mention it is a SMALL flying field?) maybe 3 to 5 acres fenced with lots of trees around it. Currently only my dad and I fly here, but it has a a paved runway and a little building and picnic table. It's on city property and surrounded by a lot of nothing, except trees. It has a short runway with a fence at both ends, a road at one end. So I was looking for stuff that flys good and lands slow, I think this will fill the bill.

We are putting dual aileron servos out in the wings, I'v already thought about changing the rudder hinge line, but I don't know if I will do it. I'm thinking of putting a 4stroke on it inverted, that's how my p51 was and you could barely see the engine. I'm still trying to decide on a color scheme.

Austin

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM
albo752004

Hi jt

bgfireman helped me with my question, thank you for your input. To say the instructions are not very good is the understatement of the year (maybe decade). At the bottom of the reply box is a link to upload images I guess that's how it's done. (never tried it myself
personally). Hope that helps. Thanks again.

Allen
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
bgfireman

JT,
At the top right of every post you will see reply and quote. Click either one and then you can type in the box and at the bottom you will see BETA or Click here. Beta is for multiple photos or the other for one. It will then open a new window and you choose your photo.

Allen,
Your welcome, Ask any question you have.

Hey Nekked man,
The first kit I ever built was a dynaflite P51. I still have it in the barn. I crashed it in a tree then a dead stick a few days later ended in a crash in the field. It is in repairable shape, and I have thought about getting it back in flying shape. It was full of epoxy and could bounce like a basketball and keep going. As I say it was my first kit and the stab was off a little so it flew in a nose low arrangemet. On the last crash the stab came off. So it would be a easy fix now. Any how that is for later.
Alan
PS Even with all that was wrong it was still a great flyer.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
tod0001

That Dynaflite Corsair sure looks just like my old Midwest Funscale Corsair kit........
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
jt182

Alan thanks for telling me how to post up pic's. Hoping to get a good chunk done on this plane over the weekend. I can get the most of the fusealage done and get the wings going I will be a happpy camper.

Alan you can be the leader just don't expect me to follow you of the cliff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh15506.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	1377319  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: tod0001

That Dynaflite Corsair sure looks just like my old Midwest Funscale Corsair kit........
Yes, but the DynaFlite was first. In fact, DynaFlite was the 1st to produce ANY 'FunScale' 40 size warbird: the P-51.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
jt182

CorsairJock ? for you did you shorten the front of this plane when you used the 40 size cowl from tower hobby? I noticed that it extends the front alot this could work to my advantage going electric with this build though. I can put the motor further out to offset the lighter motor wgt. and keep the battery closer to the CG/

Hope you don't mind the questions Alan I don't want to hijack your thread.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
bgfireman

JT,
Go right ahead. Next time somebody needs to know it will be right here for them to see. One day it may be me.
Alan
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
jt182

Alan the way I forget things it will be me!
I will have to leave a trail of balsa dust to find my way back.

Getting anything done yourself?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: jt182
CorsairJock ? for you did you shorten the front of this plane when you used the 40 size cowl from tower hobby? I noticed that it extends the front alot this could work to my advantage going electric with this build though. I can put the motor further out to offset the lighter motor wgt. and keep the battery closer to the CG/
Hope you don't mind the questions Alan I don't want to hijack your thread.
Guys: it's been 15 years since I built it, and I'm nearly 60 years old, and I did 'live the 70s': I don't remember!
I'm thinking that I merely left off the balsa forward of the firewall, installed a motor mount, annd then the cowl.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 PM
jt182

LOL to funny I lived the 70's.

I did the same but later 70's and early 80's reason for the balsa trail back to the thread.

I figured you did something to that effect to use the cowl. I was thinking of taking some off the nose of this bird I will figure it out when the motor and mount get here.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 AM
nekked_man_2000

Yes, but the DynaFlite was first. In fact, DynaFlite was the 1st to produce ANY 'FunScale' 40 size warbird: the P-51
I have a Jemco/Marks Models funscale mustang that predates the Dynaflite Mustang. It is the same outline, but totally different building method and structure. I did some research once, and the "Fun Scale" stuff was designed by Jim Meister. Marks Models made gliders, then bought the Jemco stuff, also designed by Jim Meister. Then Dynaflite bought Marks Models, then re-engineered the P51. I think they had Meister draw up the .60 size, then they came back and updated the way the .40 size was built. In some of my old Magazines the adds also show a Marks Models/Jemco Fun Scale P-39, I wouldn't mind turning up one of those kits, just because. I have a Marks Models FS P-51 in my stash of kits, and also a .60 size P-51 in my stash. Sometimes I follow the Spits and the P-40s in the auctions, but they usually get too rich for my blood. I'd settle for just a copy of the plans.

The Corsair kit I bought sat at a hobby shop here in Dallas for years, and I never bought it because I wasn't real fond of the flat oval shape. As the years went on, and "good" kits (ie kits I like), started to dissapear, I decided "what the heck, even a profile can look like a warbird once it's airborne!" Remember when you could buy a p-51 kit in any size imaginable, and from multiple makers. Now if you want a .40 size p-51 KIT, what choices are there besides the GP P-51?

I liked the P-51, mine was modified a little, because I could set it up to do most anything I wanted to do...it never would knife edge too well, but I probably didn't have enough motor or rudder. But it lands like a trainer plane, anybody can fly this thing...it has all of the good qualities of an "Ugly Stick", but looks like a warbird in the air.

Austin
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 AM
albo752004

Hi Guys

When you glued the plywood doublers to the fuse halves, did you use CA or Epoxy ?

Thanks

Allen
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
bgfireman

Allen,
I used CA every where except for the fire wall and motor mounts.
Alan
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
jt182

I am using TitebondII on this build so far I like using it. I have used the CA for other builds I got tired of glueing myself to parts and the smell. Plus the cost for CA is crazy I still keep it on hand for fast repaires though.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
bgfireman

Well it has been a while since I made a post. So I now have the horz. and vert. stabs glued in. I am down to just a few more parts to glue in. I like the belly pan on the wing, and drilling the wing dowel holes in the fuse. Oh and the balsa on the bottom of the fuse. I am waiting on the that until I get a pull pull wheel assembly on the bottom. I'll try and post some pics later. Been a little busy at work.
Later Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.