Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Attention folks in the UK - LaFerte question

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Attention folks in the UK - LaFerte question

Old 07-08-2003, 05:25 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Attention folks in the UK - LaFerte question

Oh how I envy the folks flying the monsters in Europe...I was wondering if someone from the UK, or anyone that knows for that fact, could answer a question. Joe Huntley and I admire the huge Me109 from the 2003 show (well, I admire thm all). The question is, where are the retracts coming from. Do most of the guys over there build them themselves. I can get big spinners from local machine spinning companies, and can make everything else, except for gear. Is there someone out there making the gear for these monsters? I, for one, would like to build a 1/3 or 1/2 scale Me109 someday. For now, I have to live with my 13 foot Corsair.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:45 PM
grahamd1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at

http://www.unitracts.co.uk/
Old 07-08-2003, 06:48 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default retracts

Heck with the retracts ill go steal a set off a cessna or something ifn i have to hehehe what I want to know is where to get the plans for them huge beasties or how to contact some of them guys that build them things and discuss construction methods etc.

Joe
Old 07-08-2003, 06:51 PM
grahamd1

Uniretracts in the UK, do build them. They also design them, in Mechanical, air and Electric. You send them a diagram and they make them.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
ProfLooney

Default oops

I didnt clarify graham I was talking the plans etc for them big beastie aircraft not the retracts hehehe

Joe
Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 PM
greyfly

Default 109

Joe

The model you ask about, the retracts where hand made by the modeler. A club mate of mine, attends the show every year, and like yourself, as a spot for the 109. He told me he went over to the owner and asked him about them.

..he made them himself........ was the answer.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:16 PM
ProfLooney

Default NONONONO

Haha Im not talking about the retracts grey I am talking abt plans for the plane itself. I was saying i could snag some retracts off a cessna or something for it if i only had the plans.

The prob we have over here is finding plans for them biguns since the AMA is so darn restrictive, but there are those of us that dont give a crap what they say there are other places to fly biguns other than chartered AMA sites. Like sod farms and state parks.

So if you know or can find out where these guys are getting all these giant aircraft plans thats what me and Jeff is looking for.

Joe
Old 07-09-2003, 03:18 AM
grahamd1

Try leaving a message on the LMA (Large Model) web site forum.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/LMASiteUK/
Old 07-09-2003, 05:02 AM
ProfLooney

Default thanks

thanks thats a new site for me i only really had bigstuff UK site and never get any replies from them

Joe
Old 07-10-2003, 12:35 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grahamd1...I have left several inquiries on that site, but have never gotten a response......thx anyway
Old 07-10-2003, 01:06 AM
Paul Grubich

Europeans do have the ability to design, build and fly very large r/c aircraft. They are inspected during their construction and after by real aircraft inspectors to insure quality and airworthiness.

Here we are limited to 55 lbs and 100 lbs inspected. Some very large models have flown here though. At the Byron Expo a 500 lb B-29 flew every year at this grand event. I was very fortunate to fly a 150 lb C-47 with paratroopers at this show and it was a thrill I will never forget.

These large models were flown on private property and insured independent of the AMA.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:13 AM
ProfLooney

Default byrons

Yea paul I remember them events I believe I still have a video of the B-29. If I remember correctly it had 3 different pilots each with their own radios operating different things. now that took some coordination. it also if I remember had 4 100cc engines. it was beautiful.

Joe