Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Eliptical wing... Tekoa Feather/Cut Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Eliptical wing... Tekoa Feather/Cut Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 AM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eliptical wing... Tekoa Feather/Cut Video

Hello, can anyone share the elliptical wing technique demonstrated by the Tekoa Feather/Cut Video?

I am considering buying the video but not if they glue a bunch of individual panels to attain the elliptical shape.

Yellow aircraft makes a beautiful example of an elliptical wing and I have often heard of a foam bending technique but never any details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks... Norman
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Eliptical wing... Tekoa Feather/Cut Video

I have the video and have cut ellpitcal wings on numerous occasions. The procedure is quite simple once you get a feel for it. Bascially when you line up the bow at the leading edge of the wing the part of the bow at the tip is "captured" so it cannot move along the foam, it just pivots. The height of the pivot is the same as the datum line in the airfoil. I start with the upper cut first, the foam blank is raised/bent upwards at the tip, you'll have to play around with how much to bend to get your exact shape. You then go ahead and make your upper cut, again only the root part of the bow will move through the foam. You will need to have your foam cut so the bow enters at the leading edge parallel and exits parallel, the foam will look like a odd shaped triangle but dont worry. Now, after you have finished to upper cut install your lower airfoil template on the foam and re-position your bow back on the leading edge. Now the important part, remember you raise the tip of the foam for the upper cut, you will need to bend the tip down the same distance that you raised...exmaple if you raised the tip 3/4" you will need to bend to tip down 3/4". Also you will need to weight down part of the foam blank near to root to keep that part of it flat. All of this bending and keeping part of the blank flat creates a beautiful elliptical wing. Be prepared to waste some foam practicing but after you get the hang of it you can cut out elliptical wings out of 1 piece of foam and get away from gluing and shaping numerous block of foam together. I hope I explained this well the video is actually very informative and very detailed showing Roger cutting an elliptical wing. It's definitely easier to see this than to try to explain this.
Thanks
Tom
Old 08-31-2020, 06:37 AM
Kjblootens

I know... 15 year old post...

Does the above procedure produce replicable wings (L/R)?
i see how it works, but just wondering about getting the length to be consistent....

i guess you cut the ends off and replace by foam/balsa blocks anyway

K