Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Joespeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM LA-7 From VQ Warbirds

Hi Jmohn,

Just down? Do I need to add any right thrust ?

Joe
Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Clayton M

Hey Joe,

Super looking pilot and cockpit. The skill and artistic talent of some of the people on this forum is quite amazing.
I attached a few pics of the carb showing the throttle and choke lever orientation. The way they are set up works with a carb mounted in front or behind the engine and not below. In any event, I think ill just live with re-orientating the throttle as its easy enough to do and operate the choke manually thru the bottom of the cowl as required.

How is your progress going?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94565.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1728665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58189.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1728666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24927.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1728667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23682.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1728668  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM
sgrady
My Feedback: (5)

Anyone using a DLE 30 or a OS 33 on this ?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 PM
AM6

Sgrady.

I have been using a DLE 30 on mine for over a year now.
Excellent combination with either an 18 x 8 or 18 x 10 prop.

Fits very nicely inside the cowl with the standard exhaust and keeps things light.

More than enough power for scale type flying.

AM6.

Name:	Bz77611.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1732689  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 AM
nextofkin
My Feedback: (8)

Has anyone used a Zenoah G-38?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
AZThud

I finally got some pictures taken from the field, no video yet, in fact after these pictures taken I goofed and put the plane on its back. The rudder was badly damaged and I had to pretty much build a new one. Its on now and hopefully the plane will be flying again this weekend. No video yet, I was going to be getting one but that was after I dumped it on its back :-(

The last picture is of one of the Club members rather large twin engine, twin wing planes.

Name:	Hf98560.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1740912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16261.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1740913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73263.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1740914   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55456.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1740915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33469.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1740916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85669.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1740917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74188.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1740918  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Joespeeder

Hey AZThud,

Looks great !!! I've been working on mine and hope to have it structurally ready by this weekend of next. Seems like I keep going 2 steps forward and 1 step back. The weather here is very nice very early and everyone feels like they got caught off guard with the end of the building season.

I will post pics when I get enough to make it interesting.

I'm hoping to pick up some ESM V2 retracts at Toledo this year. If not I will punt and go Lado which I really like but are not fitted specifically for the plane for the lazy guy like me

Keep the great pics coming.

Joe
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my ESM gear and struts with a Robart set and never had to look back at any more gear problems.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
AZThud

I just treated myself to a set of Giant Sierra gear for mine. Last night I removed the Lado 666 actuators from my ESMgear and looked at the conversion effort, it looks to be a drop in fit with very minor modification needed. I will have them finished and in on Thursday night, at least that is my schedule. In case you were wondering why the switch, I found there to be to much play in the ESM struts. I fly off pavement and any movement away from the straight and true in the wheels can lead to an unpleasant ground loop. I had a couple of these and each time the ESM strut got bent at the bottom, this then pevented the oleo's/springs from working so trying something different.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
AZThud

Well the Seirra gear were installed and elctrified, the Lado 666 actuators dropped in easily and the gear and struts dropped into the plane just as easy. I flew it 4 times on Sunday i had 4 nice takeoffs, the gear was aligned the same way I did the ESM gear and the tracking on takeoff with the ESM was ok, I must say though I seemed to need fewer and smaller corrections with the Seirra gear in the plane. On the landing side of the equation, I had 4 good touch downs and 3 good rollouts, the 3 rd flight I did get a bit of ground loop, previously this bent the ESM strut at the oleo section, such that it would stick or no longer move up and down on the springs. After it stopped, nervously I taxied the plane back and noticed it looked like nothing had happened :-) I also tested the retracts on the bench no issues, nothing moved, so I loaded up another couple of fuel cells (6 S 5800 mah 25C cells) and took off again, landing was good, roll out was straight Nice!!

So far I like these Serria's!!! I have much more confidence in he gear and their ability to handle my planes 19 and half pounds of weight.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
sgrady
My Feedback: (5)

VQ does not have the Spinner Ty made, any other suggestions, ended up with a 50 cc twin on mine.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I've been plugging away on my build. The cockpit is done, the major portions of the radio are in, however, I need to run the Rudder cabling. Switches are installed. The radio switch is in the cockpit and looks like a avionics assembly of some sort.... THe engine cut off is in the side of the fuse where I can get to it quickly and camouflage it with exhaust painting. I have the spinner ordered form Gene Barton from the post someone added here. It's a 4.55inch conical....

Since I'm doing the version captured by the Germans I've been trying to find decent color info that puts me in the correct area. My colors will be as close as I can do them.... After posting notes in other forums about colors and getting help from the plastic model guys I went searching for AMT-11 and AMT-12 (Light and Dark Gray Camo) If you're interested in my colors/paint scheme I'll outline it here. I did a similar thing for the CYModels ME-163 including creating the spec for Callie-Graphics to produce Yellow #25. Now there are lots of 163 with those graphic flying all over the place !!! Cool....

Ok, so I posted my first inquiry here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=69&t=181576 and got great info about Russian paint. I was thinking I would be replicating the Sim version of my plane as I looked at the the info. However, after looking things over again I came to the conclusion I would end up closer to the WingsPallette version which is also the same as the paper airplane. So I went looking for AMT-11, AMT-12 alone with RLM 04 (German Yellow) mix specs.

I found this thread http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.0 about the AMT colors and after reading it decided to go with the most simple yet effective mix those guys came up with for AMT-12. So I'll use 1 part Model Master 36231 and 1 part Model Master Black. Actually, I think I'll mix it just a little shy of 1 part black. Look at post #51 in that thread for the best simple info. I can always add more black if it looks funny. One things for sure..... If the guys that really follow this stuff argue for 8 pages about two colors then no one that sees my plane will be able to tell me it's way off unless they flew one !! lol.... For the yellow I picked up some Model Masters Gleb RLM 04. Close enough..... I'll mix up my samples and take them to Lowes to have Latex Outdoor Satin mixed..... The only real color left is a off color gray I need to paint out the stars. I'm sure it would have been some RLM gray of some sort but as long as it doesn't match the AMT colors no one will know the difference. Especially once the weather and dull coat go on...

You'll notice in the first couple of pics I paint by spraying splotches with an airbrush.... Looks weird at first but as you build it gives the surface some depth and when done the surface look less like a fiberglass model.

So besides paint I have been finishing the radio bits. It took me about 4 hours of work to get the Velcro glued in so that my batteries would be in the correct place and secured. I use a Velcro strap with a loop to strap things down and it took several try's to get the correct length and positioning..... Sad but true.

I also corrected my wing control rods and clevises... I haven't posted too much for a bit but it's not for lack of work. Here come my pics.

Joe

BTW, here's another drawing of the German LA-5 I'm doing.

Name:	Yw68151.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1748671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73500.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1748672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89847.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1748673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32091.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1748674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22813.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1748675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64693.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1748676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35634.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1748677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20638.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1748678  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90506.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1748679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21797.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1748680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56101.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1748681  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

AM6,
I like your combination La-7 and DLE 30, did you try 3 blades prop? I thinking about it, but I don´t the size of the prop.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I've been plugging away on my build. The cockpit is done, the major portions of the radio are in, however, I need to run the Rudder cabling. Switches are installed. The radio switch is in the cockpit and looks like a avionics assembly of some sort.... THe engine cut off is in the side of the fuse where I can get to it quickly and camouflage it with exhaust painting. I have the spinner ordered form Gene Barton from the post someone added here. It's a 4.55inch conical....

Since I'm doing the version captured by the Germans I've been trying to find decent color info that puts me in the correct area. My colors will be as close as I can do them.... After posting notes in other forums about colors and getting help from the plastic model guys I went searching for AMT-11 and AMT-12 (Light and Dark Gray Camo) If you're interested in my colors/paint scheme I'll outline it here. I did a similar thing for the CYModels ME-163 including creating the spec for Callie-Graphics to produce Yellow #25. Now there are lots of 163 with those graphic flying all over the place !!! Cool....

Ok, so I posted my first inquiry here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=69&t=181576 and got great info about Russian paint. I was thinking I would be replicating the Sim version of my plane as I looked at the the info. However, after looking things over again I came to the conclusion I would end up closer to the WingsPallette version which is also the same as the paper airplane. So I went looking for AMT-11, AMT-12 alone with RLM 04 (German Yellow) mix specs.

I found this thread http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.0 about the AMT colors and after reading it decided to go with the most simple yet effective mix those guys came up with for AMT-12. So I'll use 1 part Model Master 36231 and 1 part Model Master Black. Actually, I think I'll mix it just a little shy of 1 part black. Look at post #51 in that thread for the best simple info. I can always add more black if it looks funny. One things for sure..... If the guys that really follow this stuff argue for 8 pages about two colors then no one that sees my plane will be able to tell me it's way off unless they flew one !! lol.... For the yellow I picked up some Model Masters Gleb RLM 04. Close enough..... I'll mix up my samples and take them to Lowes to have Latex Outdoor Satin mixed..... The only real color left is a off color gray I need to paint out the stars. I'm sure it would have been some RLM gray of some sort but as long as it doesn't match the AMT colors no one will know the difference. Especially once the weather and dull coat go on...

You'll notice in the first couple of pics I paint by spraying splotches with an airbrush.... Looks weird at first but as you build it gives the surface some depth and when done the surface look less like a fiberglass model.

So besides paint I have been finishing the radio bits. It took me about 4 hours of work to get the Velcro glued in so that my batteries would be in the correct place and secured. I use a Velcro strap with a loop to strap things down and it took several try's to get the correct length and positioning..... Sad but true.

I also corrected my wing control rods and clevises... I haven't posted too much for a bit but it's not for lack of work. Here come my pics.

Joe

BTW, here's another drawing of the German LA-5 I'm doing.

Looking good Joe!!!! I like the conversion you are doing...gonna be a one of a kind unless I copy you hehehehe I am considering a conversion as well but it wont be your scheme so you are safe for now WBOTX coming up in May so you guys check it out its gonna be fun www.wyliewarbirds.com hope to see some LA7 there.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
AM6

Prekin,

I never tried a 3 blade on this model as I never saw the need to get 'the look'.

I did try both an 18 x 8 and 18 x 10 '2 blade' and ended upwith the 18 x 8 because I liked the 'feel' (although the engine is somewhat underproped using the 18 x 8).

The power and reliabiltiy of this little engine is quite suprising and Iimagine that it will handle a beila 17 x 10 3 blade without
any fuss.... and possibly even an 18 x 10 if you wanted to try.

Happy Landings.
AM6.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of the cans of paint I had mixed to match the stock ESM LA-7 colors. You may be able to use this info to get paint for yourselves if you're redoing the LA-7.

Be aware, I used a satin finish so you will have to sand the fuse to get a flat finish after using this or a dull coat over it to achieve the flat texture. Also, I matched the wing, as it turns out the fuse is a different color shade.... It's slight but its different.

With the above in mind, this is close as you're going to get unless you match the fuse specifically. Once you add new scheme colors, weathers, and the dull coat these paint are so close that you'll never know any difference.

Valspar Exterior Satin from Lowes.

Joe

I corrected the orientation of the photos so you can read them..... lol

Name:	Ki18233.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1748918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62073.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1748919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19121.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1748920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35596.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1748921  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I just returned from Lowes after having my AMT-12 and Geb RLM 04 mixed.

In this photo the AMT-12 looks darker than it actually is in real life. I mix two samples last night and settled on the one with a slight less than 1:1 mix I post before. It was just too dark for my tastes. This is dark but still gray. I like the look of this color better than the really dark gray a 1:1 mix gave me. As I said, there is so much argument about the shade that as long as it fits and makes sense no one will question it. I hope.

In fact, due to scale effect the plastic model guys go to all this work and then they might add white to their mix to make things look faded or correct for a scale effect. I'm happy... so job done.

Here are the pics (if I can get them right side up) of the labels with the mixing specs. I think you could copy these picks into your phone and have them scanned to recreate these same colors.

Of Course you can just give them the spec on these labels and that would work also...

Joe

Name:	Ec88355.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1748981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92030.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1748982  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I forgot I took these picks last night. You can see the difference in my two mixes. These photos were taken with the flash so they do look slightly different in the natural light. But you can see why I went with the lighter shade.

The darker one is just too much for my taste.

You can see how the Gleb RLM 04 looks also.

Joe

Name:	Ay75831.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1748989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29292.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1748990  
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
AM6

Joe,
ESM Paint matching....

For what it's worth I spent some time colour matching the originals for some semi scaleadditions that I made to my model.

Most of my mixing is done by hand using either acrylics or Humbrol enamels.

To truly match the 'dark grey' used on these models you will need to add some light blue to your dark grey.
Try mixing a small amount of the light blue (that you have in your tin)with the dark grey....voila.

Happy Landings.
AM6.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Prekin

Joespeeder, will you have La-7 in the german colours? It is a great idea! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Does anybody know the pressure for the ESM La-7 retract and how many cycles I can do with this pressure?
I have one, but there weren´t any manual.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I thought you might enjoy a link I found that talks about the German LA-5 including detailed pilots impressions.

They use the only photo I know of at the top of their page of the LA-5 I'm modeling. You see this same photo over and over but most obscure the Swastika on the tail.

http://translate.google.com/translat...Fla5fn_1.shtml

Thanks AM6, I can use all the help I can get when it comes to color matching.

I laid out the camo last night with tape just so I can visualize what things will look like. I wont get to paint it till later this week.... I'll post pics as I get moving.

Joe

Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
AM6

Prekin.

I use 100 lb psi and find that this gives me @ 6 reliable cycles. 

I did change all air fittings to 'Robart' for reliabilty.

I also fitted grub screws in the retract  'oleo clamp'  to stop the legs from twisting out of line during operation.
Otherwise, If  (when) the leg twists through 90 degrees when landing, you may end up ripping the bearers out of the wing.

One other point...
I also use servo screws (socket head variety) to mount the uinits on to the bearers....this saves major damage if you get the landing wrong (as some do at times).

Happy Landings.
AM6.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Prekin

Thank you very much for the info.
Now I waiting for the good weather for the first flight.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Joespeeder

Hey n8622t,

I have been searching Google in Russian and found some more info. Basically, they show the same three planes. If you are looking to do a captured scheme the white "21" is cool also. I have been reading and asking about these planes all over the interwebs (lol) and from what I can see the version shown in this link is as correct as you'll find.Sometimes it's shown in a Brown Camo but it's the consensus that that was way off. You could do that conversion from the stock ESM colors very easily.

Of course I choose mine due to the yellow it has for higher visibility. I'm going to do the bottom of the wing tips yellow also as shown in the paper kit. If you look at the one photo of my scheme it's hard to argue either way.

Here's the link. Enjoy.

http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns

Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Prekin

Joe,
are you going to remake your La-7 into La-5FN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.