Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the Grasshopper an L-4 (Piper Cub)
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Launch Pad McQuack
What happened to Evil Merlin? Is he out trying to find a really hard question?
I just sent him an PM - so he knows he is up.

Evil - we are waiting[8D]
Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM
G-Pete

It's been 3 days since the correct answer - Evil read my PM last night.
Ernie P. suggested a time limit of 24hrs to ask the question after the winner was announced. I see this is necessary.
The winner has 24hrs time after the announcement of the winner to ask the question.
After 24 hrs of the person who asked the question need to announce the second winner.
In this case it should be Stang151 - but is is up to Launch Pat McQuack.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Launch Pad McQuack

Sounds appropriate to me...so Stang your up.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is too good a thread to lose because people drift away. So with apologies to G-Pete, and ONLY while we're waiting on Stang151 to post his question, I will offer a question and topic for discussion. As soon as Stang151 posts his question, I'll give the answer if no one has already; and we can go back to the normal flow. If G-Pete shoots it down, I'll continue to wait with the rest of you without objection. Since this doesn't apply directly to warbirds, but is a related question, I figure it's fair game.

During WWII, American and Allied pilots had a clear advantage over their German opponents in the area of training. No; I'm not talking about the acute shortage of oil, and therefore aviation fuel, which increasingly hampered the German training program. There was another *huge* advantage on the side of the allies; which the Germans could never overcome. What was it? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
800mZero
My Feedback: (2)

Ball bearings!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
jharkin

The Americans and British both would rotate their ace pilots back to be instructors. The Germans could not afford to do so and kept the aces in front line service until they died or the war ended, thus robbing the trainees of learning from their front line experience.

-Jeremy
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Edwin

The training advantage for the allies was being able to rotate experienced pilots back to train the new ones.
Edwin
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

There were several major disadvantages.

1.) Lack of a decent ground school. The allies had an excellent pre-flight ground school using LINK trainers amongst many others and had a very good phased approach to training new pilots. The Germans didn't have near as extensive training facilities nor technologies to do the training.

2.) As was already said, German pilots flew from the start of the war till the end or till they died. Allied pilots (American and British for the most part, the Russians played by different rules) flew a number of missions and then rotated back to train.

3.) Having people like Fatty and Hitler in charge also puts a major dent on anything the Luftwaffe tried to do. Look at what happened with the Me 262 for example.

4.) No heavy, long range bomber, the lack of a concrete strategic capability crushed any chance of the Luftwaffe doing much long distance.

5.) Lack of Naval Air Power. Enough said. Just look at what the Japanese were capable of.

6.) The Germans didn't have access to decent metals and thus the ability to make improved alloys to keep improving both engine technologies and reduce aircraft weight. For example, while the Germans may have had the first production jet engine (Jumo 004), they were not reliable enough due to the poor metals used in the turbine blades caused the 004 to be a tempermental beast at best and a explosive nasty at worst.

Sorry, been a bit busy at the office and didn't have much time to concoct a decent enough question.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: 800mZero

Ball bearings!
Okay; that one puzzles me. (-: No, it wasn't ball bearings that gave Allied pilots an advantage in training. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: jharkin

The Americans and British both would rotate their ace pilots back to be instructors. The Germans could not afford to do so and kept the aces in front line service until they died or the war ended, thus robbing the trainees of learning from their front line experience.

-Jeremy
Jeremy; your answer is, of course, correct; but not the one for which I'm looking. Yes, the Germans were under intense pressure, and couldn't spare their top aces from the front, for them to serve as trainers. Just one example of what happens when one side is forced to fight with a "short war" strategy; and the other can work for the long haul. Good answer; but not *the* answer. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Edwin

The training advantage for the allies was being able to rotate experienced pilots back to train the new ones.
Edwin
Edwin;

As Jeremy also pointed out, that *was* an advantage. But again, not the advantage of which I was thinking. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

There were several major disadvantages.

1.) Lack of a decent ground school. The allies had an excellent pre-flight ground school using LINK trainers amongst many others and had a very good phased approach to training new pilots. The Germans didn't have near as extensive training facilities nor technologies to do the training.

2.) As was already said, German pilots flew from the start of the war till the end or till they died. Allied pilots (American and British for the most part, the Russians played by different rules) flew a number of missions and then rotated back to train.

3.) Having people like Fatty and Hitler in charge also puts a major dent on anything the Luftwaffe tried to do. Look at what happened with the Me 262 for example.

4.) No heavy, long range bomber, the lack of a concrete strategic capability crushed any chance of the Luftwaffe doing much long distance.

5.) Lack of Naval Air Power. Enough said. Just look at what the Japanese were capable of.

6.) The Germans didn't have access to decent metals and thus the ability to make improved alloys to keep improving both engine technologies and reduce aircraft weight. For example, while the Germans may have had the first production jet engine (Jumo 004), they were not reliable enough due to the poor metals used in the turbine blades caused the 004 to be a tempermental beast at best and a explosive nasty at worst.

Sorry, been a bit busy at the office and didn't have much time to concoct a decent enough question.
Evil_Merlin;

All good and valid points. But there was another *huge* advantage Allied pilots enjoyed; one the German pilot training schools can not compensate for even to this day. That's the answer I'm seeking. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
jharkin

Ernie-

Ok you stumped me.. I'll take another stab at it and maybe state the obvious... Are you looking for the fact that the Allies were able to locate training bases out of the reach of enemy airpower?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: jharkin

Ernie-

Ok you stumped me.. I'll take another stab at it and maybe state the obvious... Are you looking for the fact that the Allies were able to locate training bases out of the reach of enemy airpower?
Jeremy;

Nope. Nor am I looking for the fact that the German's had to raid their training schools to obtain planes and pilots to cover emergencies (think Stalingrad), or press half-trained students into combat.

But, if we were playing "Blind man's bluff", I'd have to also say "You're getting warm". The answer does involve the location of the training bases. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would half to decline winning that answer... I saw E.M.s answer looked it up on Google and confermed it.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Evil_Merlin

Possibly the fact that the size of Germany is rather limited, to do any type of distance flying you would have to go into another country's airspace. Thats usually a no go.

Which is why the Luftwaffe currently does most of its training here in the States...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Possibly the fact that the size of Germany is rather limited, to do any type of distance flying you would have to go into another country's airspace. Thats usually a no go.

Which is why the Luftwaffe currently does most of its training here in the States...
Evil_Merlin;

You and Jeremy are dancing all around the answer. Yes; the Luftwaffe currently does most of its training here in the United States. Just as the Brits do a lot of training here now; and did in WWII as well. But *why* do they train here? It isn't only flying distance. Germany is roughly the size of Texas, and you can get pretty wound up in that amount of space. Keep thinking. Or maybe you're over thinking it. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Launch Pad McQuack

Well Evil is back so one of you post up a question so we can get back on track.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Launch Pad McQuack

Well Evil is back so one of you post up a question so we can get back on track.
Yea verily and forsooth, Sir. My training question isn't really about the planes themselves; and is just to keep folks amused while waiting on Stang151 or Evil_Merlin to step up. The second one of them posts a question, I'll step down. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

I believe what hge is looking for is weather. In the US you cab train and fly all year round. Think 300 training bases in Florida in WWII. Stuka Jon
Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Stuka Jon N

I believe what hge is looking for is weather. In the US you cab train and fly all year round. Think 300 training bases in Florida in WWII. Stuka Jon
Exactly, Sir. I think Evil_Merlin and Jeremy were just over thinking the question. If you have thousands of student pilots to train, would you rather they train in Florida, or Alabama, or Mississippi, or Texas, or Arizona, where they can fly for ten or twelve hours a day; or in Germany, where they may be unable to fly for weeks on end? Not to mention the difficulties inherent in just keeping a training school runway open in Germany during the winter. Weather is a huge advantage under those circumstances. Germany gets pretty cold, snowy and overcast in the winter; while Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc., generally have clear weather and moderate temperatures. And there was a lot of uninhabited space to utilize in those locations; ideal for training pilots. Even today, the Luftwaffe can't overcome the weather advantage. That's why they do so much training here. Correct answer, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
jharkin

Is the training over here really due to weather? I though it was just because they dont have enough open space away from population centers in Germany...

I just looked it up and there are two training centers for the modern Luftwaffe in NA- one is in New Mexico, the other is in Labrador Canada. Cant be all that warm up there...

Anyways, good question... bring on the next one!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Evil_Merlin

We all know what the first production aircraft to feature an ejection seat was. Thats easy.

So who developed the testing and how was the ejection seat tested?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He-162

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.