Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I meant the Salamander He-162
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Ejection Seat. Do-335 Phiel Stuka Jon
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure that's what Evil's looking for.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

I think Evil wants to know how the first ejection seat was tested.

The answer is rather disturbing... An SS doctor named Sigmund Rascher tested the seats on concentration camp victims. Put them in low pressure chambers and raised the pressure quickly to see how well pilots could tolerate rapid descent from altitude.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jharkin got it.

Rascher was the "person" involved with the entire theory of high altitude ejection seats. Unfortunately without his "research" we would not have the knowledge we have today of the impacts of both high altitude exposure and extreme cold, as horrible as it is. Funny thing is, Rascher was actually killed by the Nazi's themselves... even after telling Himmler it was better to just kill the "test subjects" they were using rather "pardoning" them to life imprisionment with hard labor.

It also seems that most people don't know what the first production aircraft with an ejection seat was... it was the He 219. The He 162 featured a explosive charge ejection seat vs. the previously used compressed air. The F-102 was actually the first aircraft to be fitted with a rocket powered ejection seat, and its younger brother the F-106 was the first aircraft to feature a Zero-Zero ejection seat.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
jharkin

Ok cool my turn to ask a question then right?

Ok here goes. If nobody minds Im going to turn the clock back 20 years further:

The year is 1917. Germany just introduced the latest evolution of the most numerous German fighter series of the war. In order to improve on the maneuverability and performance of previous models in the series they copied a particular design element from french fighters, but in doing so introduced a fatal flaw in the design. This fatal flaw caused the lower wing to rip off in flight.

1 Name the aircraft (should be easy for WWI buffs)
2 Name the major design change and the french aircraft they got the idea from
3 Tell me why the wing would rip off (This is harder. hint: they didn't really understand the true reason back then but its something we know of well today and most of us have seen or heard of an RC model crash due to this)

~Jeremy
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
metaldriver

Albatros D-V;single spar on lower wing copied from french neuport 17 ;aerodynamic flutter
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

1 Name the aircraft (should be easy for WWI buffs) - Albatros DIII
2 Name the major design change and the french aircraft they got the idea from - addition of the sesquiplane a-la the Nieuport 11 Bebe
3 Tell me why the wing would rip off (This is harder. hint: they didn't really understand the true reason back then but its something we know of well today and most of us have seen or heard of an RC model crash due to this) - overspeed which caused flutter

Thanks-
Sean
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

jharkin got it.

Rascher was the ''person'' involved with the entire theory of high altitude ejection seats. Unfortunately without his ''research'' we would not have the knowledge we have today of the impacts of both high altitude exposure and extreme cold, as horrible as it is. Funny thing is, Rascher was actually killed by the Nazi's themselves... even after telling Himmler it was better to just kill the ''test subjects'' they were using rather ''pardoning'' them to life imprisionment with hard labor.

It also seems that most people don't know what the first production aircraft with an ejection seat was... it was the He 219. The He 162 featured a explosive charge ejection seat vs. the previously used compressed air. The F-102 was actually the first aircraft to be fitted with a rocket powered ejection seat, and its younger brother the F-106 was the first aircraft to feature a Zero-Zero ejection seat.

The German He 280 jet was the first to be equipped with a compressed air ejection seat. Of course, it never went into production.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
jharkin

You guys are good. metaldriver was very close but mustang1971 got it exactly.

Mustang 1971 gets next question.

The rest of the story... For much of 1916 the Germans had lost their advantages as new allied scouts like the DH.2 and Nieuports bested the slow Eindecker. Things changed again with the introduction of the First Albatros fighters, their 160hp Mercedes engines giving more speed and the carrying capacity to haul 2 guns. The Germans again had the upper hand in late 1916 so long as they stuck to boom and zoom tactics. However, pilots who tried to win a turning fight with the nimble Nieuports didn't fare as well.

Looking to close the maneuvering advantage, in the summer of 1916, Idflieg ordered the Albatros werke to copy the one unique feature of the Nieuport, its sesquiplane (1.5 wing) configuration. This they did, fitting a D.II fuselage and engine with a V-strut sesquiplane wing to make the D.III prototype, that went to the front in late December.

It wasn't long before reports came in of wings ripping off in a dive. The authorities didn't believe them at first because the few pilots who survived it reported the wing ripped off *downward*. What happened was that the lower wing spar was too far forward for the centers of mass and lift for that wing. This allowed the wing to flex in flight and its been calculated in modern times that the critical flutter speed was around 120-135mph. The D.III could only make about 109mph in level flight but in combat dive speeds well over 120 were common.

As you guys noted, in 1917 they didn't know what flutter was and assumed the spar was just too weak. So for the D.V and D.Va they strengthened the fuselage attachment and spar structure and also added an auxiliary strut from the V to the lower LE. All these changes added a lot of weight so they also added a 180hp Mercedes to compensate. The result was an increase in top speed to 115 or 117mph making the margin of safety to the critical flutter speed even lower. This is why the failures got worse in the D.V.

If they had today's knowledge they could have instead added weight to the LE of the lower wing (field modification) or moved the central spar back and completely solved the problem.

~Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zw69548.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1375610  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Mustang1971

OK, Thanks Jharkin

I have a 2-parter also. May be easy for some of course.

a. What single wing axis fighter from WWII has unequal length wings?
b. why are they unequal?

Thanks-
Sean

PS - I have a few clues if the air goes dead
Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
jharkin

I'm not sure this is the answer you are looking for as its a recon, not fighter...

How about the Bv.141

It was an asymmetrical single engine design with the crew cabin in a pod offset to the right of the main fuselage.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

MC-200 to offset engine torque or P factor, whichever you prefer.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Evil_Merlin

The C.200, the C.202 and the C.205 all had unequal wing lengths, so it was actually more than one aircraft, even if they all shared a common "ancestor". It (on the 202) was 8 inches longer on the left than the right, which was used to remedy the roll to the left caused by the spinning propeller.

jharkin, the wings on the Bv.141 were actually the same length. It was simply the cockpit pod and engine pod that were not in the "same place".
Check out http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/bloh...sbv141sol.html for details.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Mustang1971

OK, JL1 and Evil Merlin were both correct but JL1 came in first. I only needed one correct answer although Evil Merlin covered all marks. a few other tidbits, the .200 radial was nicknamed "Thunderbolt" and the .202 and .205 inlines were nicknamed "Lightning".

There will be a .200 at Top Gun this year competing in team scale!

Ball is in your court JL1

Thanks!
Sean
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
JL1

One of the axis nations had a "Thunderbolt" fighter. Which nation and what was the planes mfg and alpha numeric designation ?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
800mZero

Japanese Mitsubishi JM2 Raiden (Thunderbolt)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
JL1

800mzero, you are correct
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
800mZero

Ok Me!

An italian man with the last name of Tondi is famous for what?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Launch Pad McQuack

He was an Italian Axis pilot that flew a captured P-38 in combat. Full story below.

The 12 of June, 1943 a lonely P-38 landed at Capoterra airfield on southern Sardinia. The Italians on the airfield cannot believe what was happening. A soldier, quickly, move a car just on the front of the aircraft to prevent a restart. The P-38's pilot was opening the canopy when he realize that he had landed on the wrong place. He tried to take off but it was too late to do it and he was captured. The pilot - his identity is unknown - was flyng from Malta to Gibraltar ( other sources says he was flyng from Tunis to Pantelleria ) to deliver a bag containing documents and mail. He landed at Capoterra almost out of fuel after a long trip above the Mediterranean Sea . Later was found a compass failure resulting in 30 degrees error on the route . The P-38 was probably an E model upgraded to G models. Voices says that last four digits of the serial number were 2278. The US insignia was covered with Italian Dark Green paint who was a bit darker respect the US Olive Drab. Then were applied white bands on the booms, Sabaudian crosses on the tails and spinners was painted in white. The Lightning was tested at Guidonia Experimental Center near Rome and later was used against US bombers. The Col. Angelo Tondi - a skilled Italian pilot - flyng with the P-38 shoot down a US B-24 Liberator off Anzio coast at 11am of August 11, 1943, six of B-24's crew bailed out from the aircraft . The Italian Lightning had a no long flyng career because the German synthetic fuel used by Italians corroded P-38's fuel tanks and the aircraft was forced to stay on the ground, but US reports says that B-17s bombers were attacked by two P-38s on early September 1943. During another mission a damaged US P-38 was flyng close to US bombers needing protection. The bomber's gunners, thinking he was the " enemy " P-38, shoot down the aircraft."
Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
800mZero

correct! Your up!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
G-Pete

Stats as of 02-10-2010
G-Pete
RCGuy 41
wingspar
RCGuy 41'
Stuka Jon N
ampeater
jeff EE
RCGuy41
Brad330l
wingspar
Top Gunn
stang 51
daleflyrc
proptop
Sessholvaru
proptop
Sessholvaru
Ernie P.
Brad330l
Ernie P.
Irrambo
proptop
warbird51
wingspar
JL1
Stang151
Thunderbolt47
ucljoe
Launch Pat McQuack
Evil Merlin
Ernie P
Stuka Jon N
Jharkin
Mustang1971
JL1
800mZero
Launch Pat McQuack
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
G-Pete

3 questions correct and on the sideline now
RCGuy 41
wingspar
proptop
Ernie P.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Mustang 1971 was a little wrong on the MC2005. The nick name was GREYHOUND

thanks bob
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Evil_Merlin

You are confusing a few aircraft.

There is the Re.2005 Sagittario (which means Bowman or Archer) and the Mc.205 which is indeed the Veltro (Greyhound).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.