Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 AM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

It is total number of kills.....

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. An RAF hero of the Battle of Britain, he recorded 20 victories in his flying career (19 in some sources).
2. As well as in Britain he saw service in Europe, the Middle East, Malta and South East Asia.
3. Shot down twice, his career was almost finish by an wound received in a non-aircombat engagement.
4. One of kills was the stepson of the a very high ranking German general.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. An RAF hero of the Battle of Britain, he recorded 20 victories in his flying career (19 in some sources).
2. As well as in Britain he saw service in Europe, the Middle East, Malta and South East Asia.
3. Shot down twice, his career was almost finish by an wound received in a non-aircombat engagement.
Sir Keith Rodney Park
Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Desmond Annersley Peter McMullen orWilfred George Gerald Duncan-Smith.

source: http://www.acesofww2.com/UK/UK.htm

it lists all the RAF aces during WWII.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

Desmond Annersley Peter McMullen or Wilfred George Gerald Duncan-Smith.

source: http://www.acesofww2.com/UK/UK.htm

it lists all the RAF aces during WWII.
But which ONE ????????
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

well theres only 5 or 6 with 20 kills. all of them have been named
already. sooo its somebody who's off the record.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 PM
SimonCraig1

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

well theres only 5 or 6 with 20 kills. all of them have been named
already. sooo its somebody who's off the record.
You were right there P-40k-5 because:

ORIGINAL: The Raven

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

Sir Keith Rodney Park
It was Keith Park. Well done Raven!

1. The man who won the Battle of Britain had 20 kills flying the Bristol F2B Fighter
2. His service in Malta was also credited with turning that battle
3. He was in the Royal Horse Artillery when he was wounded just after the Battle of the Somme and declared medically unfit.
4. His 13th "Credit" β€” of 5 September 1917 β€” was Lieutenant Franz Pernet of Jasta Boelcke (a stepson of General Erich Ludendorff)).

his contribution to the allied cause was finally officially recognised this year with a statue being erected in Waterloo Place, London site and unveiled on Battle of Britain Day (15 September) during seventieth anniversary commemorations of the Battle.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/nzealand/park.php

Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
The Raven

1. I utilised technology that originally saw use by the Germans during WWII.
2. This technology was further developed for use during the cold war.
3. Only a few prototypes of me were built, one of which exploded and another crashed killing the pilot.
4. Despite all these difficulties I almost secured sales success, but (rumoured) back room dealings led to the sale falling through.
5. I was eventually killed off due to various cost and schedule overruns.

What am I, and what were my unique design and performance aspects.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

3. Only a few prototypes of me were built, one of which exploded and another crashed killing the pilot.
4. Despite all these difficulties I almost secured sales success, but (rumoured) back room dealings led to the sale falling through.

Northrup YB-49. Thanks; Ernie P.

With the XB-35 Flying Wing program seriously behind schedule by 1944, and the end of piston-engined combat aircraft in sight, the production contract for this propeller driven type was cancelled in May of that year. Nevertheless, the Flying Wing design was still sufficiently interesting to the Air Force that work was continued on testing a single YB-35A production aircraft. Among the aircraft later completed were two airframes that the Air Force ordered be fitted with jet propulsion and designated as YB-49s.

The first of these new YB-49 jet-powered aircraft flew on 21 October 1947 and immediately proved more promising than its piston-engined counterpart. The YB-49 set both an unofficial endurance record of staying continually above 40,000 ft (12,200 m) for six hours, and a trans-continental speed record, flying from Muroc Air Force Base in California to Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, D.C. in 4 hours 20 minutes. The return flight from Andrews was marred by a multiple failure in six of the eight engines. Inspection after a successful emergency landing revealed no oil had been replaced in these engines after the Muroc-to-Andrews leg, raising a suspicion of industrial sabotage.

The Air Force engineer in charge of this detail became ill shortly before the scheduled departure and did not accompany the YB-49 back to Muroc. He later died in a motorcycle accident under mysterious circumstances.

The second YB-49 was lost on 5 June 1948, killing its pilot, Major Daniel Forbes for whom Forbes Air Force Base was named, Captain Glen Edwards, copilot (after whom Edwards Air Force Base is named), and three other crew members, one of whom, Lt. Edward Lee Swindell was a crewmember on the Boeing B-29 that assisted Chuck Yeager in breaking the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 aircraft. Their aircraft suffered structural failure, with both outer wing sections becoming detached from the center section.

Speculation at the time was that the YB-49 was lost due to excessive pullout loads imposed on the airframe when a planned stall recovery resulted in a high speed, nose-over dive. The post-stall high speed dive resulted from the Flying Wing's clean, low-drag design, which gave it a rapid speed increase in any type of dive.

The last operational YB-49 prototype was destroyed during high-speed taxi trials at Muroc Field. The nosewheel began to encounter severe vibration problems and finally collapsed. The aircraft was completely destroyed in the ensuing fire. The taxi trials took place with the YB-49's fuel tanks full, an unusual testing procedure, fanning further speculation of industrial sabotage of the aircraft.

The Air Force ordered the remaining uncompleted YB-35 piston-engined airframes be completed as production B-35B aircraft.

Bombing target tests showed a tendency of Flying Wings to "hunt" in yaw after turns and when flying in "disturbed" air, degraded bombing accuracy. It was thought that one of the new Honeywell autopilots, with yaw damping, would correct this flaw.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Northrup YB-49. Thanks; Ernie P.

With the XB-35 Flying Wing program seriously behind schedule by 1944, and the end of piston-engined combat aircraft in sight, the production contract for this propeller driven type was cancelled in May of that year. Nevertheless, the Flying Wing design was still sufficiently interesting to the Air Force that work was continued on testing a single YB-35A production aircraft. Among the aircraft later completed were two airframes that the Air Force ordered be fitted with jet propulsion and designated as YB-49s.

The first of these new YB-49 jet-powered aircraft flew on 21 October 1947 and immediately proved more promising than its piston-engined counterpart. The YB-49 set both an unofficial endurance record of staying continually above 40,000 ft (12,200 m) for six hours, and a trans-continental speed record, flying from Muroc Air Force Base in California to Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, D.C. in 4 hours 20 minutes. The return flight from Andrews was marred by a multiple failure in six of the eight engines. Inspection after a successful emergency landing revealed no oil had been replaced in these engines after the Muroc-to-Andrews leg, raising a suspicion of industrial sabotage.

The Air Force engineer in charge of this detail became ill shortly before the scheduled departure and did not accompany the YB-49 back to Muroc. He later died in a motorcycle accident under mysterious circumstances.

The second YB-49 was lost on 5 June 1948, killing its pilot, Major Daniel Forbes for whom Forbes Air Force Base was named, Captain Glen Edwards, copilot (after whom Edwards Air Force Base is named), and three other crew members, one of whom, Lt. Edward Lee Swindell was a crewmember on the Boeing B-29 that assisted Chuck Yeager in breaking the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 aircraft. Their aircraft suffered structural failure, with both outer wing sections becoming detached from the center section.

Speculation at the time was that the YB-49 was lost due to excessive pullout loads imposed on the airframe when a planned stall recovery resulted in a high speed, nose-over dive. The post-stall high speed dive resulted from the Flying Wing's clean, low-drag design, which gave it a rapid speed increase in any type of dive.

The last operational YB-49 prototype was destroyed during high-speed taxi trials at Muroc Field. The nosewheel began to encounter severe vibration problems and finally collapsed. The aircraft was completely destroyed in the ensuing fire. The taxi trials took place with the YB-49's fuel tanks full, an unusual testing procedure, fanning further speculation of industrial sabotage of the aircraft.

The Air Force ordered the remaining uncompleted YB-35 piston-engined airframes be completed as production B-35B aircraft.

Bombing target tests showed a tendency of Flying Wings to ''hunt'' in yaw after turns and when flying in ''disturbed'' air, degraded bombing accuracy. It was thought that one of the new Honeywell autopilots, with yaw damping, would correct this flaw.
Great answer, as it fits all the facts, but it's not what I'm looking for. [:@]
Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost sounds like you're talking about the F-20, but as far as I know while a couple crashed, none of them exploded, and the project certainly didn't fail due to cost/schedule overruns....
Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Ernie P.

Bell X-5. Early swept wing prototype. Combined high speed and low takeoff ability. Thanks; Ernie P.

The incomplete Messerschmitt P.1101 fighter prototype recovered by US troops in 1945 from the experimental facility at Oberammergau, Germany, was brought back to the United States. Although damaged in transit, the innovative fighter prototype was delivered to the Bell factory at Buffalo, New York where company engineering staff studied the design closely and led by Chief Designer Robert J. Wood, submitted a proposal for a similar design.

Although superficially similar, the X-5 was much more complex than the P.1101, with three sweep positions: 20Β°, 40Β°, and 60Β°, creating an in-flight "variable-geometry" platform. A jackscrew assembly moved the wing's hinge along a set of short horizontal rails, using disc brakes to lock the wing into its in-flight positions. Moving from full extension to full sweep took less than 30 seconds. The articulation of the hinge and pivots partly compensated for the shifts in center of gravity and center of pressure as the wings moved.

Even so, the X-5 had vicious spin characteristics arising from the aircraft's flawed aerodynamic layout, particularly a poorly positioned tail and vertical stabilizer, which in some wing positions, could lead to an irrecoverable spin. This violent stall-spin instability would eventually cause the destruction of the second aircraft and the death of its Air Force test pilot in 1953.

The unfavorable spin characteristics also led to the cancellation of tentative plans by the US Air Force to modify the X-5's design into a low-cost tactical fighter for NATO and other foreign countries.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, if it's not that how about the Republic XF-91 Thunderceptor hybrid Rocket-Jet aircraft.

Also about the only aircraft Ican think of with wings that are wider at the tips than the root?!?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
psb667

bell x2. throttleable rocket motor. first man to exceed mach 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milburn_G._Apt
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: psb667

bell x2. throttleable rocket motor. first man to exceed mach 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milburn_G._Apt
Some of you are on the right track, but you keep thinking of US equipment (hint, hint).
Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
psb667

Saunders-Roe SR.53. I cant find any particularly innovative or unique specs regarding this aircraft.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Charlie P.

Avro CF-105 Arrow?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
uncljoe

Charlie P. I think you got it But I did not ask the question . I'm wrong as usual..[X(]
semper Fi
joe
Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 AM
The Raven

Saunders-Roe SR.53. I cant find any particularly innovative or unique specs regarding this aircraft.
Congratulations, you win.

The rocket motor was similar in concept as that used in the Me-163

Instead of two liquid fuels being mixed together only a single liquid fuel was required. This fuel was ignited by a solid catalyst in the motor.

See Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53

The Germans were very close to ordering this aircraft when, it's alleged, sneaky deals from the US led to them buying the F-104. This hurt Saunders Roe financially (in a big way)

Too complex, and finally beaten by more effective SAMs

The S.R. 53 utilised a small conventional turbine for takeoff and landing, with the rocket motor used for climbing. As an interceptor the concept was sound, albeit using two engines.

See the specs and story at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Ernie P.

Congratulations, you win.

The rocket motor was similar in concept as that used in the Me-163

Instead of two liquid fuels being mixed together only a single liquid fuel was required. This fuel was ignited by a solid catalyst in the motor.

See Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53

The Germans were very close to ordering this aircraft when, it's alleged, sneaky deals from the US led to them buying the F-104. This hurt Saunders Roe financially (in a big way)

Too complex, and finally beaten by more effective SAMs

The S.R. 53 utilised a small conventional turbine for takeoff and landing, with the rocket motor used for climbing. As an interceptor the concept was sound, albeit using two engines.

See the specs and story at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53

So... where are we now? We know psb667 is up, and we are well past 24 hours. The Raven is the decision maker. Will you ask another question? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Charlie P.

I've got a good one ready if no one else steps up.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say ....Take it and run with it
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
uncljoe

Go for it Charlie....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif].[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

I've got a good one ready if no one else steps up.
Go Charlie!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Charlie P.

Another ID the image: with hints.

A product of peacetime . . . barely. Thiswas the fastest fighter to go into active production at that time. So good, the nation that designed it had all orders picked up by another. It saw active service in WWII.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88925.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1508650  
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
psb667

p36 Nope thats not it. It must be a mohawk. what heavy bomber did hap arnold have scrapped? (no answers expected) Sorry work intruded on my time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.