Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: jgod1946

the p-3 was also used as a hurrican hunter by vw-4 out uf jacksonville,fl
Having spent my high school years in Jacksonville, I remember it well. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This aircraft was assessed to be an excellent aircraft , but it did Not win the production contract .
1. Year was 1967
2. As a result of AF experience with close air support of ground troops in southeast asia,a "total weapons system" planned specifically & exclusively for that mission.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "other" competitor to the A-10 from the A-X project, the YA-9?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

The ''other'' competitor to the A-10 from the A-X project, the YA-9?

Rats! You have to be fast to get past you, E_M. Here's some supporting documentation for your (I believe) correct answer. I was trying, but didn't get here in time. Good going! Thanks; Ernie P.

On 6 March 1967, the Air Force released a request for information to 21 defense contractors for the A-X. The objective was to create a design study for a low-cost attack aircraft. The officer in charge of the project was Colonel Avery Kay. In 1969, the Secretary of the Air Force asked Pierre Sprey to write the detailed specifications for the proposed A-X project. However, his initial involvement was kept secret because of Sprey's earlier controversial involvement in the F-X project. Sprey's discussions with A-1 Skyraider pilots operating in Vietnam and analysis of the effectiveness of current aircraft used in the role indicated the ideal aircraft should have long loiter time, low-speed maneuverability, massive cannon firepower, and extreme survivability; an aircraft that had the best elements of the Ilyushin Il-2, Henschel Hs 129 and Skyraider. The specifications also demanded that each aircraft cost less than $3 million. Sprey required that the biography of World War II attack pilot Hans-Ulrich Rudel be read by people on A-X program.

The Northrop YA-9 was a prototype attack aircraft developed for the United States Air Force A-X program. The YA-9 was passed over in preference for the Fairchild Republic YA-10 that entered production as the A-10 Thunderbolt II.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
uncljoe

Evil you are correct!

Background
Criticism that the U.S. Air Force did not take close air support seriously prompted a few service members to seek a specialized attack aircraft.[2] In the Vietnam War, large numbers of ground-attack aircraft were shot down by small arms, surface-to-air missiles, and low-level anti-aircraft gunfire, prompting the development of an aircraft better able to survive such weapons. Fast jets such as the F-100 Super Sabre, F-105 Thunderchief and F-4 Phantom II proved for the most part to be ineffective for close air support. The A-1 Skyraider was the USAF's primary close air support aircraft.[3]
[edit]A-X
In mid-1966 the U.S. Air Force formed the Attack Experimental (A-X) program office.[4] On 6 March 1967, the Air Force released a request for information to 21 defense contractors for the A-X. The objective was to create a design study for a low-cost attack aircraft.[2] Discussions with A-1 Skyraider pilots operating in Vietnam and analysis of the effectiveness of current aircraft used in the role indicated the ideal aircraft should have long loiter time, low-speed maneuverability, massive cannon firepower, and extreme survivability;[2] an aircraft that had the best elements of the Ilyushin Il-2, Henschel Hs 129 and Skyraider.[2]
In May 1970, the USAF issued a modified, and much more detailed request for proposals (RFP). The threat of Soviet armored forces and all-weather attack operations had became more serious. Now included in the requirements was that the aircraft would be designed specifically for the 30 mm cannon. The RFP also called for an aircraft with a maximum speed of 460 mph (740 km/h), takeoff distance of 4,000 feet (1,200 m), external load of 16,000 pounds (7,300 kg), 285-mile (460 km) mission radius, and a unit cost of US$1.4 million.[5] During this time, an RFP was released for A-X's 30 mm cannon with requirements for a high rate of fire (4,000 round/minute) and a high muzzle velocity.[6] Six companies submitted proposals to the USAF, with Northrop and Fairchild Republic selected to build prototypes: the YA-9A and YA-10A, respectively. General Electric and Philco-Ford were selected to build and test GAU-8 cannon prototypes.[7]
While turboprops were considered in some designs for the A-X project, turbofans were selected for the flyoff prototypes. The A-9 used the Lycoming F-102 engine, while the A-10 used the GE TF34 as used in the contemporary S-3 Viking and proposed for use in the E-3 Sentry.[8] The YA-9 took its first flight on 30 May 1972.[1][9]
[edit]Fly-off
Apart from aircraft themselves, the A-X program was also developing a powerful cannon for the winning plane to carry. Eventually, this would result in the GAU-8 Avenger, but for trials, the YA-9 and YA-10 were both equipped with the smaller M61 Vulcan Gatling gun. By comparison, the A-10 engine location at the tail is less conventional, but offers greater survivability in the case of a hit on the engine area. The double tail of the A-10 also hides the engine infrared and noise signature, and incorporates redundancy in case one of the tails is shot away.
A fly-off of the two prototypes took place between 10 October and 9 December 1972, with the YA-10 declared the winner on 18 January 1973.
The two YA-9 prototypes were subsequently relegated to NASA for continued flight testing before being quickly retired. When retired, the YA-9s' custom-built engines were removed and were later mated to a C-8 Buffalo airframe as part of the NASA-Boeing joint Quiet Short-haul Research Aircraft (QSRA) study into a quiet short-haul commercial aircraft.
[edit]
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Evil_Merlin

OK... what am I, and what makes me so different than others like me in my aviation role?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM
uncljoe

Appears to be a "Shape charge"
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like an Armor piercing bullet with a solid core, possibly tungsten. The 2 bands around the center, The Bourrelet (front) and Driving Band (rear) stabilize the bullet as it travels down the bore of the gun. The reddish part is the cap to streamline the bullet. The core is what does most of the work penetrating the armor.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
glasscock

Tracer bullet to let the pilot know where his actual ammo is going.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Evil_Merlin

You guys are all in the right direction.

Except its not a shaped charge.

Skylarkmk1 has a alot of the details, but not the specifics of this particular item.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Ernie P.

You guys are all in the right direction.

Except its not a shaped charge.

Skylarkmk1 has a alot of the details, but not the specifics of this particular item.
Is this a depleted uranium (DU) round? Perhaps one fired from an aircraft? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could we get a closer look at it???

Bob
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I always hate to see the A 10 and YA-9 mentioned without mentioning the private competitor that really didn't compete:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66967.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1568015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92286.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	1568016  
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
wingspar

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take a wild guess in that it's a German 30mm tungston coverd shell who's main use was for antitank distruction.

Dave
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: a65l

I always hate to see the A 10 and YA-9 mentioned without mentioning the private competitor that really didn't compete:

Ok so what is it?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

rutan ares jet. too easy
Old 02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
The Raven

DU or tungsten core penetrator round. Without any sizing info it could be anything from a Phalanx (ship defence typically) to a GAU-8/A Avenger (A10) round. Both being used in gatling guns.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
The Raven

PGU-14/B Armor-Piercing Incendiary round - although the image just shows the projectile.

Main differentiator is the incendiary capability which causes amazing amounts of spalling. One round = one tank.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Ernie P.

E_M has been missing for over two days. At least until he returns, I suggest some one ask a question so we can keep going. Any one? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
skylarkmk1

This may be a softball for some.

Between what 2 aircraft was the last air combat fight fought in WWII?

Name the planes and who won. Name the winning crew and the out come for the losers.

What weapons system did the winning plane use?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

This may be a softball for some.

Between what 2 aircraft was the last air combat fight fought in WWII?

Name the planes and who won. Name the winning crew and the out come for the losers.

What weapons system did the winning plane use?
Well, it's more of a softball if the question has been discussed previously. And even more so if you asked the question. (-: Three days after the war ended. Oh... A P-61 dropped a Japanese plane without firing a shot as the last victory actually scored before the war ended. The P-61 was using radar. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Consolidated B-32 Dominator (Consolidated Model 34) was a heavy bomber made for United States Army Air Forces during World War II, and has the distinction of being the last Allied aircraft to be engaged in combat during World War II.

The testing missions were mostly successful, and, in July, the 386th Bomb Squadron completed its transition to the B-32, flying six more combat missions before the war ended. On 13 August, the 386th BS moved from Luzon to Yontan Airfield on Okinawa and flew mostly photographic reconnaissance missions. The missions were intended to monitor Japan's compliance with the cease fire and to gather information such as possible routes occupation forces could take into Tokyo. In addition, Rudolph Pugliese, who was the 386th's assistant intelligence officer, said in 1997 that "the photo-recon missions were also intended to test the fidelity of the Japanese...[adherence] to the terms of the cease-fire." On 17 August, three B-32s in a flight of four were attacked by Japanese flak and fighters. During the two-hour engagement, the Dominators suffered only minor damage and none of their crew were injured. "Though the B-32 gunners later claimed to have damaged one fighter and 'probably destroyed' two others, surviving Japanese records list no losses for that day or next."[4] Based on the Japanese action on the 17th, U.S. commanders felt that it was important to continue the reconnaissance missions over Tokyo so they could determine if it was an isolated incident or an indication that Japan would reject the cease-fire and continue fighting.
On 18 August, four Dominators were given the task of photographing many of the targets covered on the previous day; however, mechanical problems caused two to be pulled from the flight. Over Japan, a formation of 14 A6M Zeros and three N1K2-J Shiden-Kai fighters (as is often the case, Shiden-Kai is described as Ki-44 Tojo, but it may be a misunderstanding of the crews) attacked the remaining two U.S. aircraft. Saburo Sakai, a Japanese ace, said later there was concern that the Dominators were attacking. Another Japanese ace, Sadamu Komachi, stated in a 1978 Japanese magazine article that the fighter pilots could not bear to see American bombers flying serenely over a devastated Tokyo. The B-32 Dominator Hobo Queen II (s/n 42-108532) was flying at 20,000 ft (6,100 m) when the Japanese fighters took off and received no significant damage.[8] Hobo Queen II claimed two Zeros destroyed in the action as well as a probable Shiden-Kai. The other Dominator was flying 10,000 ft (3,000 m) below Hobo Queen II when the fighters took off. The fighters heavily damaged that Dominator and seriously wounded two crew members. Photographer Staff Sergeant Joseph Lacharite was wounded in the legs (his recovery required several years). Sergeant Anthony Marchione, a photographer's assistant, helped Lacharite and then was fatally wounded himself. Despite the damage it received, the Dominator was able to return to Okinawa. Marchione was the last American to die in air combat in World War II. On 19 August, propellers were removed from all Japanese fighters as per the terms of the cease fire agreement.

ALSO: On the night of 14 August 1945, a P-61B of the 548th Night Fight Squadron named "Lady in the Dark" was unofficially credited with the last Allied air victory before VJ Day. The P-61 was also modified to create the F-15 Reporter photo-reconnaissance aircraft for the United States Air Force.

Historian Warren Thompson wrote that "it is widely believed" that the last enemy aircraft destroyed in combat before the Japanese surrender was downed by a P-61B-2 named "Lady in the Dark" (s/n 42-39408) of the 548th NFS. The aircraft piloted by Lt. Robert W. Clyde and R/O Lt. Bruce K. LeFord on 14 August/15 August 1945 claimed a Nakajima Ki-44 "Tojo." It should be noted, though, that the destruction of the "Tojo" came without a shot being fired. After the pilot of the "Tojo" sighted the attacking P-61, he descended to wave-top level and began a series of evasive maneuvers which ended with his aircraft striking the water and exploding. Lts. Clyde and LeFord were never officially credited with this possible final kill of the war.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Evil_Merlin

Sorry guys, was commuting back from Germany. Got to meet lots of former Luftwaffe pilots of both the Fw 190, Bf 109, Me 262 amongst others.

Anyways, The Raven has HALF of the answer... Yes, its a PGU-14/B, but didn't answer the rest of the question!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Ernie P.

Sorry guys, was commuting back from Germany. Got to meet lots of former Luftwaffe pilots of both the Fw 190, Bf 109, Me 262 amongst others.

Anyways, The Raven has HALF of the answer... Yes, its a PGU-14/B, but didn't answer the rest of the question!
Tell us more about that, E_M. Did you learn anything you didn't already know? It must have been a really special treat for you. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 AM
The Raven

What makes it unique in aviation role? Hmmm...

Nothing specifically unique for the round, as it's neither the largest ever fired from an aircraft and can be used in other guns. However, the A10 GAU-8/A (which fires this round) is the largest and heaviest gun fitted to an aircraft.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Evil_Merlin

Nope, there is something very unique about the round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.