Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Got another airplane.

1. Designed using some elements of an airplane designed in a previous war
2. The designer of the airplane was not a native of the country that the plane served for
3. One of the prototypes crashed, due to a test pilot ignoring precautions about not stressing the plane
Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM
a65l

Got another airplane.

2. The designer of the airplane was not a native of the country that the plane served for
3. One of the prototypes crashed, due to a test pilot ignoring precautions about not stressing the plane
4. One of the other prototypes was used against the government that funded it during a coup'd etat, the only actual military service the type saw
5. After 4 years of development and trials, the aircraft was still experiencing teething problems
Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
a65l

Got another airplane.

4. One of the other prototypes was used against the government that funded it during a coup'd etat, the only actual military service the type saw
5. After 4 years of development and trials, the aircraft was still experiencing teething problems
6. The designer of the airplane entered the country sureptitiously, but upon receiving a warm welcome, went back to his real name
7. The designer was also a test pilot, and did some test flight on this airplane
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 AM
a65l

Got another airplane.

6. The designer of the airplane entered the country sureptitiously, but upon receiving a warm welcome, went back to his real name
7. The designer was also a test pilot, and did some test flight on this airplane
8. Engine design in this country was not up to the same level as aircraft design, therefore, a rolls-royce engine had to be used to power this aircraft
9 The country that developed the airplane, although not know for it's aircraft design prowess in the past, was only the fifth in the world to develop an aircraft based on this technology
10. The two factors which ultimately ended development of this airplane were the overthrow of the government, and the availability of inexpensive, combat proven aircraft from another country
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FMA (FΓ‘brica Militar de Aviones) IAe 33 Pulqui II

a jet fighter aircraft designed by Kurt Tank for Argentina
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
a65l

Nice. You got it Pert. To me, a really facinating bit of reading, a very interesting bit of history. Wiki says there were only 4 prototypes, but other sources i see say there were actually 5. Luckily for history, one aircraft is still preserved.

The FMA IAe 33 Pulqui II (in the indigenous language Mapuche, PulqΓΊi: Arrow)[2] was a jet fighter aircraft designed by Kurt Tank in the late 1940s in Argentina, under the PerΓ³n government, and built by the FΓ‘brica Militar de Aviones (FMA).[3] Embodying many of the design elements of the wartime Focke-Wulf Ta 183, an unrealized fighter project,[4] the FMA envisioned the IAe 33 Pulqui II as a successor to the postwar Gloster Meteor F4 in service with the Fuerza AΓ©rea Argentina. The Pulqui II's development was comparatively problematic and lengthy, with two of the four prototypes being lost in fatal crashes. Despite one of the prototypes being successfully tested in combat during the RevoluciΓ³n Libertadora, the political, economic and technical challenges faced by the project meant that the IAe 33 was unable to reach its full potential, and the Argentine government ultimately chose to purchase F-86 Sabres from the United States in lieu of continuing development of the indigenous fighter to production status.[5]

One other facinating little project, sort of aviation related, was called the Huemul Project. It was intended to produce a usable fusion reactor, that would be small enough to power an airplane. It to never came to fruition but its interesting all the German technology that moved to Latin America right after WWII...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53940.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1631896  
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 AM
perttime

Where did the world used to get coups d'etat and famous people who had fled from their own country...

What primary trainer aircraft

1) it first flew late in 1945
2) it remained in service, in trainer, liaison, etc. roles, into 1990s
3) the first prototype was fitted with a couple of different swept wings for jet fighter development tests, in late '40s - early '50s
Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SAAB 91 Safir
http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/avia...t/50safir.html
Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 AM
perttime

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

The SAAB 91 Safir
You got it!

Many are in civilian hands now:

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...rliners.net%2F

One thing that I found interesting was that the designer, Anders J. Andersson, was designing for BΓΌcker, in Germany, before WW2.

Your turn, MajorTomski.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
MajorTomski

What aircraft was:

1. built in three countries simultaneously.

2. Is still flying today with different engines and a different name

3. Could have 18 or 28 spark plugs in each engine.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What aircraft was:

1. built in three countries simultaneously.

2. Is still flying today with different engines and a different name

3. Could have 18 or 28 spark plugs in each engine.
Well, let's see. Two plugs per cylinder; that would be a 9 or 14 cylinder engine... Like a R-1820 Cyclone or a P&W R-2000. Must be a very long lived aircraft... Kinda like a Gooney? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Douglas C-47 Skytrain or Dakota is a military transport aircraft that was developed from the Douglas DC-3 airliner. It was used extensively by the Allies during World War II and remained in front line operations through the 1950s with a few remaining in operation to this day.

Super DC-3 (R4D-8)
In response to proposed changes to the airworthiness requirements that would limit the continuing use of the large numbers of DC-3s and surplus C-47s in commercial use in the United States, Douglas offered a late 1940s conversion of the DC-3 modified to improve takeoff and single-engined performance to meet the new Civil Air Regulations, and with increased speed to compete with newer airliners. The new model, the DC-3S or "Super DC-3", was 39 in (0.99 m) longer, allowing 30 passengers to be carried. It also had larger tail surfaces and new outer wings with a greater sweep back at the trailing edge to accommodate a rearward shift in the center of gravity. More powerful engines, either 1,475 hp (1,100 kW) Wright R-1820 Cyclones or 2,000 hp (1,490 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2000s incorporated into larger engine nacelles, were installed along with shorter, jet ejection-type exhaust stacks. Minor changes included wheel well doors and a partially retractable tail wheel along with flush rivets and low drag antennas, that all contributed to a top speed of 250 mph. With over 75% of the original DC-3/C-47 configuration changed, the modified design ended up virtually as a new aircraft. The first DC-3S made its maiden flight on 23 June 1949.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the Caribou? Not sure if they were made elsewhere but Australia operated them until 18 months ago.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
MajorTomski

I did a duuuhhh after I posted then I rememberd my Avatar. Ok just a little harder.

Please name an airplane that

was in production before through and after WW-II

Some were purpose built, some impressed

Flew under both US and RAF markings

Flew with either a radial or inline engine.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Ernie P.

I did a duuuhhh after I posted then I rememberd my Avatar. Ok just a little harder.

But what was the answer to your first question? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you were correct but he brain cramped so gets another turn.....
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
MajorTomski

Sorry everyone, yes I was thinking of the DC-3 C-47. R4D. Dakota, gooney. However the second engine and name is the PT-6 on the BT-67
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Ernie P.

Sorry everyone, yes I was thinking of the DC-3 C-47. R4D. Dakota, gooney. However the second engine and name is the PT-6 on the BT-67
Okay.... Tell you what, MajorTomski.... Your questions are fine, and I understand about the glitch. How about you start over and ask another question? Then we will carry on as normal. If you don't pick up on it by evening, I'll ask a question. Thanks; Ernie P.

P.S.: I didn't think about your avatar until after I figured out the answer. The first two clues pointed me toward the answer. EP
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 AM
MajorTomski

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

[
Okay.... Tell you what, MajorTomski.... Your questions are fine, and I understand about the glitch. How about you start over and ask another question? Then we will carry on as normal. If you don't pick up on it by evening, I'll ask a question. Thanks; Ernie P.

P.S.: I didn't think about your avatar until after I figured out the answer. The first two clues pointed me toward the answer. EP

the second question was posted above

This is NOT the DC-3 and is in reference to a completely different airplane

I'll get the hang of this yet.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Ernie P.

How about the Fairchild PT-19? The last one was retired in 1972; it used both inline and radial engines; and was used by the US and Britian, as well as several other countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Fairchild PT-19 (company designation Fairchild M62) was an American Fairchild Aircraft monoplane primary trainer aircraft that served with the United States Army Air Forces, RAF and RCAF during World War II. It was a contemporary of the Kaydet biplane trainer and was used by the USAAF during Primary Flying Training as the introductory pre-solo phase trainer for introducing new pilots to flying before passing them on to the more agile Kaydet. As with other USAAF trainers of the period, the PT-19 had multiple designations based on the power plant installed.

When a shortage of engines threatened production, the PT-23 model was introduced which was identical except for the 220 hp Continental R-670 radial powerplant. A total of 869 PT-23s were built as well as 256 of the PT-23A, which was the instrument flight-equipped version. The PT-23 was manufactured in the US by Fairchild, Aeronca, St Louis Aircraft Corporation and Howard Aircraft Corporation and in Canada by Fleet Aircraft Corporation as well as Fabrica do Galeao in Brazil.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM
MajorTomski

How about the Fairchild PT-19? The last one was retired in 1972; it used both inline and radial engines; and was used by the US and Britian, as well as several other countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

Nope.

Next clue, could also be fitted with floats.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:55 AM
MajorTomski

Next clue, could also be fitted with floats.

Next clue, one of the two engine options was produced by the same company that built the airframe.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 AM
MajorTomski

And the PT-19/M62 series production ended in 1944 before the end of the war.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
scubajohn

how about the fairchild pt 23 i belive they had afairchild inline 7engine and also the w-670 continental radial was used
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Fill

C-47
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
MajorTomski

ORIGINAL: scubajohn

how about the fairchild pt 23 i belive they had a fairchild inline 7 engine and also the w-670 continental radial was used

Nope, same as above the PT-19 PT 23 PT26 M62 are all the same NOPE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.