Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: nutz4planes

Clair Chennault? and the outside loop.
No; not Chennault. Try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What famous military pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He was a famous aviator prior to becoming a military pilot.

(2) Ironically, he first became famous as a civilian aviator for being the first to perform a particular maneuver; even though he wasn’t actually the first to do so.

(3) Even more ironically, he did become the first military pilot to accomplish a certain feat; even though the credit is often given to another pilot.

(4) He was a noted instructor. Here, his fame was certainly justified; since his downfall came when one of his own students killed him.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Ironically, he first became famous as a civilian aviator for being the first to perform a particular maneuver; even though he wasn’t actually the first to do so.

(3) Even more ironically, he did become the first military pilot to accomplish a certain feat; even though the credit is often given to another pilot.

(4) He was a noted instructor. Here, his fame was certainly justified; since his downfall came when one of his own students killed him.

(5) He is also credited with being the first pilot to perform a certain feat, even though several non-pilots had apparently previously performed the same feat.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
metaldriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max Immellman
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Immelmann was killed in a dogfight by a British F.E.2B.. I was thinking Boelcke, but strictly speaking he was killed due to a mid-air and subsequent crash landing by a squadron mate, not a student, and he wasn't a civilian aviator.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

Immelmann was killed in a dogfight by a British F.E.2B.. I was thinking Boelcke, but strictly speaking he was killed due to a mid-air and subsequent crash landing by a squadron mate, not a student, and he wasn't a civilian aviator.
Yes, you are correct; although I could argue the other pilot was a student of Boelke. But, Boelke doesn't fit for several reasons. The next clue may throw a lot of mud in the water; but also maybe a little more light on the subject. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) He is also credited with being the first pilot to perform a certain feat, even though several non-pilots had apparently previously performed the same feat.

(6) Perhaps for the first time, a funeral wreath was dropped over the lines for him, by the victors.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Ernie P.

And a last clue for the evening. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) Perhaps for the first time, a funeral wreath was dropped over the lines for him, by the victors.

(7) He served in the Army, prior to becoming a pilot.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

Baron Von Richthofen
Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: lbrande

Baron Von Richthofen
No, not the Baron. This is proving harder than I would have thought. The next clues, and a bit of thought, should give you the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) Even if men fight in the sky for 1,000 years; even if 1,000 missions and 1,000 victories become common; he will still be known; his name will still be on any list of aces.

(9) He served as a test pilot before becoming a military pilot.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM
The Raven

Adolphe CΓ©lestin PΓ©goud (13 June 1889 - 31 August 1915) was a well known pre-war French aviator who became the first fighter ace.

Credited as performing the first loop n a Bleriot XI and also the first to jump from a plane with a parachute.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: The Raven

Adolphe CΓ©lestin PΓ©goud (13 June 1889 - 31 August 1915) was a well known pre-war French aviator who became the first fighter ace.

Credited as performing the first loop n a Bleriot XI and also the first to jump from a plane with a parachute.
You got it, Raven. Good job!! And, you're up. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(He was credited with being the first to perform a loop, even though a Russian had performed the feat 12 days earlier.)

(He was the first to become an ace (five victories), even though Garros is generally given that credit.)

(He instructed Unteroffizier Kandulski, who eventually shot him down, before the war.)

(He was the first pilot to bail out of an airplane; although several non-pilots had performed the feat before him.)

(8) Even if men fight in the sky for 1,000 years; even if 1,000 missions and 1,000 victories become common; he will still be known; his name will still be on any list of aces.
(Only one man can be the first.)

(9) He served as a test pilot before becoming a military pilot.

(10) He (obviously) taught students from more than one country.

(11) Some of his victories were scored while flying two seaters. Some were scored flying single seaters.

(12) His single seat victories were scored using a device invented by another man; the man most people remember in his place.
(He used Garros' system of plates to fire through the propeller. Most remember Garros as the first ace.)

PΓ©goud served in the French Army from 1907 to 1913. Immediately thereafter he began flying, earned his pilot's certificate, and in a few months, on 21 September 1913, as a test pilot for Louis BlΓ©riot, in a BlΓ©riot model XI monoplane and in a series of test flights exploring the limits of airplane maneuvers, he flew a loop, believing it to be the world's first. PΓ©goud's feat was consequently widely publicized and believed by many to be the first loop, although Pyotr Nesterov, a Russian army pilot, had flown the first one on 9 September 1913, just 12 days earlier, in a Nieuport IV monoplane at an army airfield near Kiev. PΓ©goud also was the first pilot to make a parachute jump from an airplane. He also became a popular instructor of French and other European fledgling pilots.

At the start of World War I, PΓ©goud volunteered for flying duty and was immediately accepted as an observation pilot. On 5 February 1915, he and his gunner were credited with shooting down two German aircraft and forcing another to land. Soon he was flying single-seat aircraft and in April claimed two further victories. His sixth success came in July.

It is not known how many of PΓ©goud's victories involved destruction of enemy aircraft, as early air combat was rare enough to warrant credit for a forced landing. However, it is certain that PΓ©goud, rather than Roland Garros (three documented victories), was the first pilot to achieve ace status of any sort.

On 31 August 1915, PΓ©goud was shot down, ironically by one of his prewar German students, Unteroffizier Kandulski, while intercepting a German reconnaissance aircraft. He was 26 years old. The same German crew later dropped a funeral wreath above the French lines
Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 AM
The Raven

New question:

Name the aircraft.

1. I have achieved many firsts.
2. The first aircraft by a famous designer.
3. The first aircraft with this engine configuration.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
The Raven

New question:

Name the aircraft.

4. The first flight was rather short.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 PM
skylarkmk1

The original Wright Flyer.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 AM
The Raven

New question:

Name the aircraft.

5. The short first flight was a result of it's load capacity.
6. The load capacity was undreamt of (at the time) and many thought initial reports were fake.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New question:

Name the aircraft.

6. The load capacity was undreamt of (at the time) and many thought initial reports were fake.
Igor Sikorsky's S-21 Russian Knight or Russky Vitaz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Russky_Vityaz
Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

New question:

Name the aircraft.

Igor Sikorsky's S-21 Russian Knight or Russky Vitaz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Russky_Vityaz

Absolutely correct. I tried to find something obscure, and a 4 engined 1913 passenger aircraft seemed to fit the bill.

It's your turn now
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
MajorTomski

Trouble is you stumbled across someons who is facinated by obscure aircraft.

OK team an easy one

Please name a plane
Thant seats four
Has a single engine
Was a logical progression in the manufactures line of airplanes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Ernie P.

Just a reminder to every one that all questions must be warbird related. That is, related to military use; equipment; pilots; etc. A lot of civilian aircraft were used for military purposes, but we have to stay in the military arena to stay on topic. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM
MajorTomski

OK team an easy one

Please name a plane
Thant seats four
Has a single engine
Had concurrent running civiilain and MILITARY production lines. The engine in the military version was unique to the military
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Just a reminder to every one that all questions must be warbird related. That is, related to military use; equipment; pilots; etc. A lot of civilian aircraft were used for military purposes, but we have to stay in the military arena to stay on topic. Thanks; Ernie P.

Sorry Ernie, I was sure one of my references implied the plane was to be used for bombing but it turns out it was the successor design S-22.

The Ilya Muromets (Sikorsky S-22) was designed and constructed by Igor Sikorsky at the Russo-Baltic Carriage Factory (RBVZ) in Riga in 1913. It was based on his earlier S-21 Russky Vityaz (or Le Grand) which had played an important role in the development of Russian aviation and the multi-engine aircraft industries of the world.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 AM
MajorTomski

OK team an easy one

Please name a plane
Thant seats four
Has a single engine
Had concurrent running civiilain and MILITARY production lines. The engine in the military version was unique to the military
The military variant first flew in 1964, and over the course of production there were 4 major variants
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM
The Raven

Piper Cherokee?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
MajorTomski

Piper Cherokee?

Nope sorry, I don't think the Cherokee line was ever purpose built Military

Please name a plane
Thant seats four
Has a single engine
The military variant first flew in 1964, and over the course of production there were 4 major variants
It was derrived from a previous design that had the same number of wheels but in a different configuration.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Sorry Ernie, I was sure one of my references implied the plane was to be used for bombing but it turns out it was the successor design S-22.

The Ilya Muromets (Sikorsky S-22) was designed and constructed by Igor Sikorsky at the Russo-Baltic Carriage Factory (RBVZ) in Riga in 1913. It was based on his earlier S-21 Russky Vityaz (or Le Grand) which had played an important role in the development of Russian aviation and the multi-engine aircraft industries of the world.
No need to be sorry, Raven; and I'm just trying to keep us on track. Just remember to make the military connection clear; e.g., "What civilian aircraft pioneered a new engine configuration and led to a series of derivative military aircraft? Name the civilian aircraft and it's military sucessor". Something like that. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Piper Cherokee?

Nope sorry, I don't think the Cherokee line was ever purpose built Military
Ok, it's not what we're looking for.

According to Wikipedia the Pa-28-236 Dakota was also assembled under license by the Maintenance Wing of the Chilean Air Force (which later became known as ENAER). That might classify as a purpose built military, but the numbers are unclear and presumably small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.