Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: zippome

How about the Avro Lincoln?

You got it, zippome; and you are up, Sir. The Lincoln was quite a bomber. It served England, Canada, Australia and Argentina and was in service well into the 1960's. But for the newer jet bombers, it would have amassed a much greater reputation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1).It was the last of its type produced by its home country.

(2) Only one was produced by a second country.

(3) It was also the largest aircraft ever produced by a third country.

(4) One derivative aircraft was a marine patrol type.

(5) And another was a civilian airliner.

(6) Yet another country flew it in a military conflict.

(7) It served in military conflicts around the world.

(8) One was destroyed by a Mig in a famous confrontation.

Answer: The Avro Type 694 Lincoln

The Avro Type 694, better known as the Avro Lincoln, was a British four-engined heavy bomber, which first flew on 9 June 1944. Developed from the Avro Lancaster, the first Lincoln variants were known initially as the Lancaster IV and V, but were renamed Lincoln I and II. It was the last piston-engined bomber used by the Royal Air Force.

The Lincoln became operational in August 1945, too late to see action in the Second World War. It was assigned to units of Tiger Force, a British Commonwealth heavy bomber force, intended to take part in Allied operations against the Japanese mainland. However, the Lincoln did see action with the RAF during the 1950s, in the Mau Mau Uprising in Kenya and with the RAF and RAAF during the Malayan Emergency.

In all 604 Lincolns were built. The type also saw significant service with the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and Fuerza Aérea Argentina (Argentine Air Force), as well as some civil aviation usage.

The Avro Lincoln was Roy Chadwick's development of the Lancaster, built to the Air Ministry Specification B.14/43, having stronger, longer span, higher aspect ratio (10.30 compared with 8.02) wings with two-stage supercharged Rolls-Royce Merlin 85 engines, and a bigger fuselage with increased fuel and bomb loads. As a result, the Lincoln had a higher operational ceiling and longer range than the Lancaster.

The prototype Lancaster IV (Lincoln I) was assembled by Avro's experimental flight department at Manchester's Ringway Airport and made its maiden flight from there on 9 June 1944. Main production was at Avro's Woodford, Cheshire and Chadderton, Lancashire factories. Production lines were also set up in Canada and Australia although with the end of the war production in Canada (at Victory Aircraft] was halted after one aircraft had been built. Production in Australia went ahead and Lincolns were subsequently manufactured there for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

The Lancaster V/Lincoln II differed mainly in that it was fitted with Merlin 68A engines.

Before the Lincoln was developed, the Australian government intended that its Department of Aircraft Production (DAP), later known as the Government Aircraft Factory (GAF) would build the Lancaster Mk III. Instead, a variant of the Lincoln I, renamed Mk 30 was built between 1946 and 1949, the largest aircraft ever built in Australia.[2] Orders for 85 Mk 30 Lincolns were placed by the RAAF (which designated the type A-73), although only 73 were ever built.

The first five Australian examples (A73–1 to A73–5), were assembled from British-made components. A73-1 made its debut flight on 17 March 1946 and the first entirely Australian-built Lincoln, A73-6, was delivered in November 1946.

The Mk 30 initially featured four Merlin 85 engines, but was later equipped with a combination of two outboard Merlin 66s and two inboard Merlin 85s. The later Lincoln Mk 30A featured four Merlin 102s.

The RAAF heavily modified some Mk 30 aircraft for anti-submarine warfare during the 1950s, re-designating them Mk 31. These examples had a 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) longer nose to house acoustic submarine detection gear and its operator, larger fuel tanks to give 13 hours endurance, and modifying the bomb bay to accept torpedoes. The Mk 31 was particularly difficult to land at night, as the bomber used a tailwheel and the long nose obstructed the pilot's view of the runway. 18 aircraft were remanufactured to this standard in 1952, gaining new serial numbers.

The Avro Shackleton maritime patrol aircraft was derived from the Lincoln, as was the Tudor airliner, which used the wings of the Lincoln with a new pressurised fuselage.

The Lincoln served with the Fuerza Aerea Argentina from 1947: 30 aircraft were acquired (together with 15 Lancasters), giving Argentina the most powerful bombing force in South America.

RAF Lincolns were also used in combat during the 1950s, in Kenya against the Mau-Mau, and RAF and RAAF examples served in Malaya during the Malayan Emergency, against insurgents aligned to the Malayan Communist Party.

The Argentine aircraft were used in bombing missions against rebels during the attempted military coup of September 1951 and by both the government and rebel forces during the 1955 Revolución Libertadora coup that deposed Juan Perón.[9] Lincolns were also used to drop supplies in support of Argentinean operations in the Antarctic.

On 12 March 1953, a RAF Lincoln (RF531 "C") of Central Gunnery School was shot down 20 mi (32 km) NE of Lüneburg, Germany by a Soviet MiG-15 as it flew to Berlin on a training flight, resulting in the deaths of the seven crew members.

In November 1955, four Lincolns of No. 7 Squadron RAF were detached for duties in British territories in the Middle East. In Bahrain, they carried out border patrols of the then Trucial States. When 7 Sqn was disbanded in December 1955, the four detached crews and aircraft became No. 1426 Flight RAF, officially a photographic reconnaissance unit. It was later sent to Aden, carrying out patrols in the lead up to the Aden Emergency.

As the RAF Lincolns became unserviceable due to wear and tear they were replaced by jet aircraft. The Lincolns of Bomber Command were phased out from the mid-1950s, and were completely replaced by jet bombers by 1963. The last Lincolns in RAF service were five operated by No. 151 Squadron, Signals Command, at RAF Watton, Norfolk, which were finally retired on 12 March 1963.

The RAAF Lincolns were retired in 1961, while Argentina continued to use its examples until 1967.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Ernie P.

How about the Avro Lincoln?

Zippome; you got the answer. You're up! And you're overdue for giving us a question. Please post your question, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Ernie P.

All;

Zippome is apparently having some issues which prevent him from responding. So, let's move on. Floor is open, first to post a question is up, etc. If no one posts anything by this evening, I will do so. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Ernie P.

Roll call, gentlemen. Although I really don't agree that we've covered all the "first, last, biggest, smallest, highest, lowest, fastest, slowest, heaviest, lightest" categories, I have to agree we have probably picked the most easily reachable fruit.

The question is simple: Do we want to continue, or is it time to shut down this thread?

I have a dozen questions I can ask. With a little reading, I can have dozens more. But that isn't the point. The point is to learn from each other; and not to have any one person dominate the thread. So...

It's been fun. I've learned a lot. But this isn't supposed to be a monologue.

If you want to continue, sound off. Let the rest of us know we aren't passing the conch shell back and forth between a few speakers. Otherwise, I will conclude the fun is over. What say you? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the parties over yet Ernie! Sorry about taking so long to reply but work intruded upon my playtime! I'll be back with a question shortly. And by shortly, i mean tonite.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
zippome

Ok guys, sorry about the wait, but here we go...

This aircraft was passed over in favor of another for its designed role.
It had 4 gas burning engines.
It originally had a crew of 9, but was sometimes crewed by as many as 16.
Thanks,
Zipp

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
zippome

Thanks,
Zipp

Looks like a total of 19 were built for a new and different type mission from what it was designed for.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lockheed WV2 (USAF C121) Super Connie......
Semper Fi
joe
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Halftrack99
My Feedback: (1)

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! please dont stop. I may not always answer, but this is a very fun and usefull thread. Lets keep it going. I to have many questions. I am just never up because I cant get an aswer right.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
zippome

Not the beautiful super connie, Unclejoe. But you are in the ballpark...
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
zippome

Thanks,
Zipp

Looks like a total of 19 were built for a new and different type mission from what it was designed for.
This aircraft entered service in 1950, and was withdrawn in 1960. At least 2 were lost due to enemy action, and one severly damaged during its tenure. This being despite its armament of 2 20 mm cannon and 2 .50 cal mgs. And a top speed of 410 mph.
Thanks,
Zipp.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the RB-36.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
zippome

Good guess MjrTomski, but too many engines on the rb 36. But, they did have at least 1 thing in common.
Thanks, Zipp
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
MajorTomski

The the RB or WB-50 series of aircraft
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

The the RB or WB-50 series of aircraft
That's kind of where I'm going, MajorTomski. One of the E, F, or G variants; either photo recon or elint snooper. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
zippome

The craft Im thinking of is yet smaller than the B-29/B-50.
Think Navy.

Thanks, Zipp
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Privateer?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zipp when you say gas burning ...are you saying they were the same power plants? If not just gas(115/145) burning ie .......My guess .... P2V Neptune ,two banging, two burning ?
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
zippome

Not the Privateer,nor the Neptune. The engines were indeed gasoline burning. However, I make no claim on all of them being recipricating type engines.
And the Neptune was the victorof the contract for the original mission.
That should give it away....
Thanks, Zipp
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Ernie P.

Not the Privateer,nor the Neptune. The engines were indeed gasoline burning. However, I make no claim on all of them being recipricating type engines.[img][/img]
And the Neptune was the victor of the contract for the original mission.
Thanks, Zipp
Nice... Very nice... Good question, Zipp. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 AM
MajorTomski

Not the Privateer,nor the Neptune. The engines were indeed gasoline burning. However, I make no claim on all of them being recipricating type engines.[img][/img]
And the Neptune was the victor of the contract for the original mission.
Thanks, Zipp

Ok then that leaves out the NA AJ Savage, not enought engines or guns

Leaving us with the only filler:

The Martin P4M Mercator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_P4M_Mercator
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 AM
MajorTomski

Rise and shine troopers! Got an email from Zip this am

Hi Tom,
Just wanted to tell you that you nailed theanswer to my question My problem is that my internet is having problems, and my phone doesn''t seem to be able to reply on the forum. So if you could pass this along ,I would be quite appreciative. I look forward to your question!
Thanks,
Marc....Er Zipp
So with that put on you thinking caps and guess the following

Please identify for me a combat aircraft which

1. At one time was designated an A and E type aircraft
2. Used wing warping
3. Implemented a radical change in fighter tactics
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Ernie P.

Rise and shine troopers! Got an email from Zip this am

Hi Tom,
Just wanted to tell you that you nailed theanswer to my question My problem is that my internet is having problems, and my phone doesn''t seem to be able to reply on the forum. So if you could pass this along ,I would be quite appreciative. I look forward to your question!
Thanks,
Marc....Er Zipp
So with that put on you thinking caps and guess the following

2. Used wing warping
An A and E type aircraft? Wing warping? Change in fighter tactics? How about the first real fighter; the unarmed Fokker A.III Scout, which became the Fokker E.I. So there you have the "A and E type" covered. They used wing warping. And the Fokker E.I certainly implemented a radical change in fighter tactics, since it was the first to use a synchronized machine gun set to fire through the propeller arc. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Fokker Eindecker was a German World War I monoplane single-seat fighter aircraft designed by Dutch engineer Anthony Fokker.[2] Developed in April 1915, the Eindecker ("Monoplane") was the first purpose-built German fighter aircraft and the first aircraft to be fitted with synchronizer gear, enabling the pilot to fire a machine gun through the arc of the propeller without striking the blades.[2] The Eindecker granted the German Air Service a degree of air superiority from July 1915 until early 1916. This period was known as the "Fokker Scourge," during which Allied aviators regarded their poorly armed aircraft as "Fokker Fodder".
The Eindecker was based on Fokker's unarmed A.III scout, itself following very closely the design of the French Morane-Saulnier H shoulder-wing monoplane but using chrome-moly steel tubing for the basic fuselage structure instead of wooden components, which was fitted with a synchronizer mechanism controlling a single Parabellum MG14 machine gun. Anthony Fokker personally demonstrated the system on 23 May 1915, having towed the prototype aircraft behind his touring car to a military airfield near Berlin.[1]
The history of what ended up being the "prototype" Eindecker aircraft, which bore Fokker factory serial number 216, is closely associated with Leutnant Otto Parschau, who was given the "No.216" Fokker A-series monoplane at the beginning of World War I, which bore the Idflieg military serial number A.16/15. This initially unarmed monoplane had belonged to one Oberleutnant von Buttlar, and had been painted a shade of green, the color of von Buttlar's Marburg-based Jäger regiment.[3] Parschau eventually spent most of his first year's time in the war with this aircraft, which was marked with the words "Lt. Parschau" on the right upper side of the fuselage behind the cockpit, flying it on both fronts that the German Empire was involved in combat. A short time before the beginning of June 1915, while based at Douai with Feldflieger Abteilung 62, the Fokker factory outfitted Parschau's aircraft with the Fokker Stangensteuerung synchronizer and a Parabellum MG14 light machine gun for its armament, with which Parschau had tried some initial attempts in aerial combat with during June 1915, with the Parabellum gun constantly jamming in action. Parschau's aircraft also had an aft-cockpit-located main fuel tank. The aircraft would later be taken back by Fokker for factory armament installation trials, which also allowed the wing location to be lowered to mid-fuselage, a position that would become standard for all regular production Eindeckers. The initial batch of five M.5K/MG production prototypes were completed by the Fokker factory with the shoulder-mount wing mounting location that the original M.5s had used.[4]
All Eindeckers used a gravity fuel tank which had to be constantly filled by hand-pumping from the main fuel tank, which starting with the Fokker E.II was mounted behind the pilot; this task had to be performed up to eight times an hour. Both the rudder and elevator were aerodynamically balanced, and the type had no fixed tail surfaces. This combination rendered the Eindecker very responsive to pitch and yaw. For an inexperienced pilot, the extreme sensitivity of the elevators made level flight difficult; German ace Leutnant Kurt Wintgens, who along with Leutnant Parschau were the primary Luftstreitkräfte pilots responsible for bringing the first armed Fokker monoplanes into active service during the spring and summer of 1915, once stated "lightning is a straight line compared with the barogram of the first solo". The roll response of the Eindecker, on the other hand, was poor. This is often blamed on the use of wing-warping rather than ailerons - although monoplanes of the time, even when fitted with ailerons, often had unpredictable or unresponsive roll control due to the flexibility of their wings.
The main difference between the E.I and E.II was the engine, the former having the seven-cylinder 60 kW (80 hp) Oberursel U.0 rotary engine which was essentially a direct copy of the French-made 60 kW (80 hp) Gnome Lambda seven-cylinder rotary engine, while the latter had the nine-cylinder 75 kW (100 hp) Oberursel U I, a direct copy of the 75 kW (100 hp) Gnome Monosoupape rotary. Both the E.I and E.II versions used the M.5's original 1.88 meter (74 inch) wing chord dimension. Production of the types therefore depended on engine availability and the two variants were built in parallel. Many E.IIs were either completed as E.IIIs or upgraded to E.III standard when returned for repair.
The definitive version of the Eindecker was the Fokker E.III, which used a slightly narrower-chord (1.80 meter, or 71 inch) wing than earlier versions. Boelcke's Feldflieger Abteilung 62 began operating the E.III towards the end of 1915. A few E.IIIs were experimentally armed with two of the same 7.92 mm (.312 in) calibre lMG 08 "Spandau" machine guns that the production E.I through E.III Eindecker models used only one gun of the same model. The final variant was the Fokker E.IV which received a 119 kW (160 hp) Oberursel U.III, 14 cylinder twin-row rotary engine (a copy of the Gnome Double Lambda rotary) and was fitted with twin machine guns as standard, after a failure of an experimental triple-gun installation, meant to be standard for the E.IV, kept failing.
Total production for the entire Fokker E.I through E.IV series was 416 aircraft (one aircraft's type is unknown).

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
MajorTomski

Sorry Ernie you took the bait, Nope NOT the Fokker A- through E-IV

2. Used wing warping
4. The radical technology fell into enemy hands when the crew of a crashed aircraft failed to destroy it befor the enemy got to it.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Ernie P.

Sorry Ernie you took the bait, Nope NOT the Fokker A- through E-IV

2. Used wing warping
4. The radical technology fell into enemy hands when the crew of a crashed aircraft failed to destroy it befor the enemy got to it.
Well, if it's any consolation, I somehow had a feeling it wouldn't be quite that easy, MajorTomski. You don't pitch a lot of softballs. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.