Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 264 of 398 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast
Results 6,576 to 6,600 of 9946

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Sounds like you're describing the WACO assault glider. And the one-off with twin engines.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interstate TDR?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

Interstate TDR?
    That's the answer I wanted, JohnnyS; and you are up, Sir. Great job!! The Interstate TDR was one of, if not the, first really practical RPV's. For it's day, quite a feat. Take it away, JohnnyS. Thanks; Ernie P.

This was one of the strangest aircraft built during WWII

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) The idea behing the design was born in the mid thirties, but the technology of the day simply wouldn’t support the idea.

(2) When the idea was resurrected early in WWII, technology now allowed the idea to be pursued.

(3) Although the aircraft were deployed, and used successfully in combat with a high rate of success, it was eventually decided conventional aircraft could do the job adequately; and the program was cancelled late in WWII.

(4) The airframe was built by a bicycle manufacturer.

(5) It was a twin engined aircraft.

(6) It used a steel tubed frame.

(7) The design was remarkably simple.

(8) Although several thousand were ordered, only a few hundred were actually produced.

(9) After the war, some of the surviving aircraft were converted to civilian use.

(10) The engines were relatively low powered.

(11).The total weight was quite low.

Answer: The Interstate TDR

The Interstate TDR was an early unmanned combat aerial vehicle — referred to at the time as an "assault drone" — developed by the Interstate Aircraft and Engineering Corporation during the Second World War for use by the United States Navy. Capable of being armed with bombs or torpedoes, 2000 aircraft were ordered, but only around 200 were built. The type saw some service in the Pacific Theater against the Japanese, but continuing developmental issues affecting the aircraft, along with the success of operations using more conventional weapons, led to the decision being made to cancel the assault drone program in October 1944.

In 1936, Lieutenant Commander Delmar S. Fahrney proposed that unpiloted, remotely controlled aircraft had potential for use by the United States Navy in combat operations. Due to the limitations of the technology of the time, development of the "assault drone" project was given a low priority, but by the early 1940s the development of the radar altimeter and television made the project more feasible, and following trials using converted manned aircraft, the first operational test of a drone against a naval target was conducted in April 1942. That same month, following trials of the Naval Aircraft Factory TDN assault drone, Interstate Aircraft received a contract from the Navy for two prototype and 100 production aircraft to a simplified and improved design, to be designated TDR-1.

Control of the TDR-1 would be conducted from either a control aircraft, usually a TBF Avenger, with the operator viewing a tv screen showing the view from a camera mounted aboard the drone, and with the radar altimeter's readout also displayed. Powered by two Lycoming O-435 engines of 220 horsepower (160 kW) each, the TDR-1 used a remarkably simple design, with a steel-tube frame constructed by the Schwinn bicycle company covered with a molded wood skin, thus making little use of strategic materials so as not to impede production of higher priority aircraft. Capable of being optionally piloted for test flights, an aerodynamic fairing was used to cover the cockpit area during operational missions. The TDR-1 was equipped with a fixed tricycle landing gear, that on operations would be jettisoned following takeoff for improved performance.

Under the code-name Operation Option, the Navy projected that up to 18 squadrons of assault drones would be formed, with 162 TBF Avenger control aircraft and 1000 assault drones being ordered. However technical difficulties in the development of the TDR-1, combined with a continued low priority given to the project, saw the contract modified with the order reduced to only around 300 aircraft. A single TDR-1 was tested by the U.S. Army Air Forces as the XBQ-4, however no production contract resulted from this testing.

In 1944, under the control of the Special Air Task Force (SATFOR), the TDR-1 was deployed operationally to the South Pacific for operations against the Japanese.[4] TDR-1 aircraft equipped a single mixed squadron (Special Air Task Group 1) along with TBM Avenger control aircraft, and the first operational mission took place on September 27, conducting bombing operations against Japanese ships. Despite this success, the assault drone program had already been canceled after the production of 189 TDR-1 aircraft, due to a combination of continued technical problems, the aircraft failing to live up to expectations, and the fact that more conventional weaponry was proving adequate for the defeat of Japan. The final mission was flown on October 27, with 50 drones having been expended on operations, 31 aircraft successfully striking their targets, without loss to the pilots of STAG-1.
    Following the war, some TDR-1s were converted for operation as private sportsplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Sounds like you're describing the WACO assault glider. And the one-off with twin engines.
    MajorTomski, that isn't the answer I wanted; but you are correct. Thus far, all the clues would fit both aircraft. A good, but not correct, guess. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Ok Please name for me a warbird which:

1. Flew during and after WW-II
    2. After the war it was ''the'' way to fly from/to Europe
    3. There were impressed versions and purpose built military versions.

Was gone for a few days so missed this one. I see that the Super Connie was the sought-after answer. Don't want to cause a distraction, but isn't there at least one more? Or maybe even two? I would have guessed the Boeing Stratocruiser, developed from the B29, though the modifications used may have been a stretch from the question's intent. And/or the Douglas DC 4, a varient of the C-54? (I think it was the C-54) But maybe I misunderstood the question, as I'm not sure what #3 means.....
    Just curious as to whether these could also have been correct answers.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Impressed" into service means that an aircraft built for the civillian market, to civillian specifications, was taken over for military use. It may have been bought or leased from the owner, but it wasn't originally built to military specifications.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! That one was interesting!

Here's a new one:

1. It was operated by the US army, air force and navy.
    2. It had a single engine.
    3. It was referred to as a "1 ton" truck by the manufacturer during development.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Boeing F4B?
    Fleet Brotherhood #5
    Half A Wing, Three Engines and A Prayer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, that's not it.

1. It was operated by the US army, air force and navy.
    2. It had a single engine.
    3. It was referred to as a "1 ton" truck by the manufacturer during development.
    4. A subsequent development of this aircraft was recently put back in production.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, so far I have two correct answers in personal messages. The person with the first correct answer wants to encourage other participants to make guesses and ask questions and the person with the second correct answer doesn't want to ask the next question.

The answer is: The De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter.

From Wikipedia:

"When de Havilland Canada began design work on the "King Beaver" (the Otter's original name) in January 1951, it was trying to extend the company's line of rugged STOL utility transports that had begun with the Beaver. The single-engined, high-wing, propeller-driven DHC-3 Otter was conceived to be capable of performing the same roles as the Beaver, but was considerably larger, the veritable "one-ton truck" (in company parlance, the Beaver was the "half-ton truck").[1]

Using the same overall configuration of the earlier and highly successful DHC2 Beaver, the new design incorporated a longer fuselage, greater-span wings, and was much heavier. Seating in the main cabin is for 10 or 11, whereas the Beaver could seat six. Power is supplied by a 450-kW (600 hp) Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial. Like the Beaver, the Otter can be fitted with skis or floats. The Otter served as the basis for the very successful Twin Otter, which featured two wing-mounted Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 turboprops.

The Otter received Canadian certification in November 1952 and entered production shortly thereafter."

Also note that the "Twin Otter" recently went back into production by Viking Air in BC, Canada. See: http://www.vikingair.com

At this point, I invite anyone who wants to ask the next warplane quiz question: I've asked a few lately and I don't want to hog the limelight here!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, so far I have two correct answers in personal messages. The person with the first correct answer wants to encourage other participants to make guesses and ask questions and the person with the second correct answer doesn't want to ask the next question.

The answer is: The De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter.

From Wikipedia:

''When de Havilland Canada began design work on the ''King Beaver'' (the Otter's original name) in January 1951, it was trying to extend the company's line of rugged STOL utility transports that had begun with the Beaver. The single-engined, high-wing, propeller-driven DHC-3 Otter was conceived to be capable of performing the same roles as the Beaver, but was considerably larger, the veritable ''one-ton truck'' (in company parlance, the Beaver was the ''half-ton truck'').[1]

Using the same overall configuration of the earlier and highly successful DHC2 Beaver, the new design incorporated a longer fuselage, greater-span wings, and was much heavier. Seating in the main cabin is for 10 or 11, whereas the Beaver could seat six. Power is supplied by a 450-kW (600 hp) Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial. Like the Beaver, the Otter can be fitted with skis or floats. The Otter served as the basis for the very successful Twin Otter, which featured two wing-mounted Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 turboprops.

The Otter received Canadian certification in November 1952 and entered production shortly thereafter.''

Also note that the ''Twin Otter'' recently went back into production by Viking Air in BC, Canada. See: http://www.vikingair.com

At this point, I invite anyone who wants to ask the next warplane quiz question: I've asked a few lately and I don't want to hog the limelight here!
    Like JohnnyS, I would encourage those of you who haven't asked a question, or haven't asked one lately, to jump in. It really isn't hard; and we will all profit from the enhanced participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's see what happens... I just picked an aircraft and found that it has not been mentioned here [8D]
    Not that it always has to be something that nobody has ever heard of.

What aircraft?

1) It was derived from a type that first flew about two years before the idea for this one came up.
    2) First the idea was refused by a manufacturer. After another couple of years, it was canceled from the government's side.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What aircraft?

1) It was derived from a type that first flew about two years before the idea for this one came up.
    2) First the idea was refused by a manufacturer. After another couple of years, it was canceled from the government's side.
    3) After yet another two years, it was entering service.
    4) It stayed in service for about 10 years and more than 2,000 were built.

(I'll be away from the computer for close to 20 hours from now)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What aircraft?

3) After yet another two years, it was entering service.
    4) It stayed in service for about 10 years and more than 2,000 were built.

5) Especially the early models had a reputation for fragility, for carrier operations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Supermarine Seafire?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Supermarine Seafire?
    Seafire is correct!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Seafire
    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...e_seafire.html

I particularly like the post-war Mk XVII and Mk 47.

Your turn, JohnnyS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New one:

1. First flew in 1915.
    2. Almost a thousand were built, by ten different companies.
    3. It was used as a torpedo bomber in the first world war.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Short 184
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

name the plane

1 Twin engine
    2 counter rotating props
    3 crew of two plus 12 passengers
    4 once landed on the white house lawn
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chinook?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope. Not the Chinook
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1 Twin engine
    2 counter rotating props
    5 span 33'4" Length 47' 3 1/2"

obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Piasecki "Flying Banana" H21

Semper Fi
    Look towards the Horizon......your death awaits you there So Enjoy today ,,,,,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, not the one.
    1 Twin engine
    2 counter rotating props
    5 span 33'4" Length 47' 3 1/2"
    6 Despite rave reviews from over 40 pilots no production contracts were made

obsessed Stuka D3 nut